Colin Sylvia - can he take a step up at last?

Whispering_Jack

Some nice publicity for Colin Sylvia in today's Sunraysia Daily - All fired up: Demons changes give Colin Sylvia a reason to smile this season

... the former Merbein junior, who was home over the weekend to meet with Under 15 V/Line Cup Sylvia Squad members, is optimistic about what lies ahead this year.

They've named an Under 15 training squad out Mildura way over our Col and he's just tweeted that it's an "[A]bsolute honor to have a squad named after me."

He wasn't a standout yesterday at Casey Fields but he did the odd thing that had "brilliance" and "class" written all over him and he looks to be in great physical shape. It's so frustrating that, after almost a decade at the club, he has yet to turn it on for a whole game week in week out. If he ever did, we would surely have a star on our hands and Colin Sylvia would have lived up to the honour of having that squad of young footballers named after him.

I suppose this is a bit of a pipedream but I think he's the one player at the club who, by lifting that notch to where he performs at a consistently high level that we expect of someone with his talent, that we could nudge very close to the middle if not fringe of the top half of the competition this year.

• Like 1

From what i could see at Casey on Friday was col seemed to be directing traffic, maybe the coaching staff told him not go to hard because of his last few injury riddled pre seasons, if he steps ups to the plate our midfield looks a lot stronger, Jones, Trengove, Viney, Toumpass, Sylvia and Blease running through the lines looks a lot stronger than most people think.

He could and should be a top 20 player in the AFL as physically he has all the attributes. "That game" against Hawthorn is a prime example, the problem is that he just seems to be half a second behind the play and doesn't get the ball enough to impact games like he should.

Fingers crossed he doesn't get another late pre-season injury like previous years.

From what i could see at Casey on Friday was col seemed to be directing traffic, maybe the coaching staff told him not go to hard because of his last few injury riddled pre seasons, if he steps ups to the plate our midfield looks a lot stronger, Jones, Trengove, Viney, Toumpass, Sylvia and Blease running through the lines looks a lot stronger than most people think.

Great. We had one of those for the past 5 years. Beemer was a master at directing traffic. Waving his arms and pointing at others to do the hard running. Needs to put in consistently. 8 years and we are still waiting.

He's set for a good year. He's fit going into the season for once. Hopefully he will play midfield permanently and stamp himself more consistently on games.

This is such a bulltish argument. Col is bone lazy. He was an outstanding Junior footballer who did things easily and never really had to work hard. At AFL level he has talent to burn but not the smarts or dedication. Unfortunately we had such a crap culture that his weak efforts were never weeded out. Yep he has a few injuries but lots of players have 'em. COl uses his a crutch and an excuse. I have watched his efforts closely and his second and third efforts are rare.

We saw some good signs in the last 6 games of 2012 and Neeld is a hard taskmaster so we will see. We all hope he will become the footy player we know he can be but there have been so many false dawns I wouldn't be holding my breath.

• Like 1

Great. We had one of those for the past 5 years. Beemer was a master at directing traffic. Waving his arms and pointing at others to do the hard running. Needs to put in consistently. 8 years and we are still waiting.

This is such a bulltish argument. Col is bone lazy. He was an outstanding Junior footballer who did things easily and never really had to work hard. At AFL level he has talent to burn but not the smarts or dedication. Unfortunately we had such a crap culture that his weak efforts were never weeded out. Yep he has a few injuries but lots of players have 'em. COl uses his a crutch and an excuse. I have watched his efforts closely and his second and third efforts are rare.

We saw some good signs in the last 6 games of 2012 and Neeld is a hard taskmaster so we will see. We all hope he will become the footy player we know he can be but there have been so many false dawns I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Nor will I, he's got the talent but needs to put in more and be harder at the ball, I don't care if he can knock a player over that's got the ball I want to see him knock the player out the way to get the ball or go through the other player when he's (Col) got the ball. I'd like to see him break as many tackles as he makes.

Looks good when in full flight, but it's getting the ball and the desire to get the ball that's a problem.

All great mids have awesome support around them Judd, cousins, Mitchell, swan, selwood he needs another players to step up around him until that he won't play amazing footy every week simple as that

• Like 1

Once again - I really believe that he could win the Charlie, or could have yet another up and down season.

Nothing new.

It is all over to Colin.

Will he do it: he can, but will he?? Does he really really want to?

Edited by monoccular

I am nearly certain 2013 is the last year we will see Sylvia in a Melbourne jumper, regardless of his year.

Colin is an Unrestricted free agent this year. 2 scenarios.

1, he has another up and down and uninspiring season. Neeld wont keep him.

2, He finally plays to his potential and has a blinder. MFC wont be able to match the offers from other clubs and sylvia will walk.

I will be very suprised if hes around in 2014.

• Like 1

He could and should be a top 20 player in the AFL as physically he has all the attributes. "That game" against Hawthorn is a prime example, the problem is that he just seems to be half a second behind the play and doesn't get the ball enough to impact games like he should.

Unfortunately Col is like the player selected in the schoolyard scratch match - looks the part and is picked up first or second but delivers little.

But Nathan Fyfe is picked up last because he doesn't look the part, yet goes on an delivers in spades.

Unfortunately Col is like the player selected in the schoolyard scratch match - looks the part and is picked up first or second but delivers little.

But Nathan Fyfe is picked up last because he doesn't look the part, yet goes on an delivers in spades.

Most players built like Fyfe would be picked last.

It's rare they have such a full package, same as Jimmy Hird as a youngster.

Well if its Cols last year before he becomes an Unrestricted free agent we may actually see the best out of him, as if he does not do well no one will be beating a path to his door with offers. If he does do well he may go, we may get decent compensation and then I suspect he will fall back to his mediocre ways. An enormously talented player who has done nothing with it, seen a lot of games where he has contributed bugger all.

I've been a critic of Sylvia too. He's given supporters so many reasons to disbelieve. That said, I reckon he's about to have his best year. He didn't do a heap in the intra, but he did a couple of things that showed he's as fit and strong as he's ever been. He took on players and got around them with his typical "burst power".

Col will never be an A grade midfielder, because he just doesn't have the smarts, creativity, or vision that the best mids have. He's more a powerful finisher. But he can step up into the midfield and do really well if he plays within his limitations and to his strengths.

I understand the scepticism, but I'm on the Col bandwagon for 2013.

• Like 2

I've been a critic of Sylvia too. He's given supporters so many reasons to disbelieve. That said, I reckon he's about to have his best year. He didn't do a heap in the intra, but he did a couple of things that showed he's as fit and strong as he's ever been. He took on players and got around them with his typical "burst power".

Col will never be an A grade midfielder, because he just doesn't have the smarts, creativity, or vision that the best mids have. He's more a powerful finisher. But he can step up into the midfield and do really well if he plays within his limitations and to his strengths.

Could be a very lonely spot BH

The odds are stacked against you

Me too. Surely Col is smart enough to see that a big year means the difference between a 4 x $500k contract and a 2 x $300k contract. As I've posted elsewhere - a big year from Col and everything else going right and we could make the eight.

• Like 2

Sylvia is what he is. He was good in the second half of last year although many on here weren't prepared to admit or couldn't see it for whatever reason. He is a decent footballer, but chances of someone at his age taking the next step up and becoming a gun are unlikely. Yes, he could have been more, but he isn't, but he is also still in our top 10 players at the moment, and easily best 22 for the foreseeable future.

I also think whilst he has shown some glimses of topline ability , he doesn't posses the mental strength to be a topline consistent star amongst those players from other teams with similar experience. Yes he is probably in our best 22 but has yet to show what he really could have been. Will possibly play a little off the pine as we ease our younger, hungrier stars into.... "games under their belts"!!!

At best now, he will provide some wise, older experience but wont be in our best 6 players unless he has a dramatic change of thinking and application. Injuries this late in his career, are no longer an acceptable excuse.

• Like 1

It should be noted that the player that re cruited after Slyvia (No. 3) was McClean (No. 5) and he also did not realise his potential until the latter half of last season (with Carlton). McClean went from being delisted to a MVP and in their intraClub on the weekend was a stand-out. No reason at all why Col cannot similarly lift, especially when he stated with more talent!

Our future, this next year at least, involves Colin Sylvia.

I have spoken before about the bad luck he has had and the bad decisions he has made.

This is the 1st year in 3 years where injury has not hampered his ambition to pay back the team. Long time in footy.

It may seem it is a turning point, but he had his jaw broken one year then his back the following. Both Pre-season.

I believe he will turn it on this year and I have backed him at 250/1 for the brownlow. (each way I admit)

But good odds are always attractive in the mind of the beholder. Black caviar yesterday was 10/ on.

I believe Col is better set than Trengove, Garland or Grimes to have an excellent year.

Whoops... they are all leadership material.

Edited by Franky_31