"Tanking"

Whispering_Jack

When's Deegirl coming back to explain her panicky post two months back saying the club, CC, DB and CS will all be charged with tanking?

From memory, as it stood at the time, Deegirl was pretty much on the money

Caroline Wilson is one sad and done sports journalist. I have watched her appearances on TV and read her stories over the past months. It is evident to a reasonable thinking person that she gets so much wrong, contradicts herself and has a memory issue.

She is now in defensive mode and showing signs of siege mentality. Only those who are her friends will continue to defend her journalism. Her irrational sensationalist style is all she has left.

I don't mind haer going in hard, too attack the wrongs of the ga,mme and the cheats.

But singling out one, for the errors of the many & the boss, is just plain wrong. Morally reprehensible, & is a sort of cheating on its own.

she is pushing her barrow, but without any moral stearing.

Patrick Smith said this morning that we should all apologize to Wilson because she has been leading this story.

I laughed out loud.

If the MFC go down nobody out there will blink.

We are on our own.

what Journos' circling their wagons?

How about they get the truth out,,, instead of playing their games. everyones a politician these days.

• Like 1

Always seems to hit the mark with whatever he says at the appropriate time. Totally agree. Never seems to overstep the mark in his comments; always level headed and paints a good picture whether it be a local issue with regards to local football or racing (Black Caviar) or issues on the International stage.

He's a bit of a know-it-all when it comes to the tribunal, though. I can't say I like him too much when it comes to that area of the game.

mate if we roll over to those hollow charges we are dead. That is a victim.

The fight is not over.

Or should not be.

You are free to wave your white flag.

1. Each to their own, but given we undertook probably the most blatant and over the top "list management' in the games history in 2009 and then still only maganed to 'win" last place by a kick after the siren, I do not think we deserved the priority pick we received. IMO you can dance around with technicalities all you want, but it is no hollow charge.

2. IMO again here, but we did the wrong thing so we deserve to get punished. The back drop over precedence etc etc has and should mitigate the punishment but to continue to fight the likely outcome (we still await the officila verdict) is folly.

We are pretty much a joke witht the public, and the only way to gain respect is to start doing the right thing for a long period of time. Journalists will go us because we have made mistakes. Caro has gone at us hard in part because we are weak and we did something she finds particularly vile. Don't get me wrong, her methods and language in some cases has often made me angry, but there is no conspiracy. She is having a crack at a soft target for doing something she really doesn't like.

Heads down, work hard and let on and off field success do the talking.

• Like 1

I really liked the Jake Niall article too. Even down to his description of what we allegedly did wrong ('conspired to not win games'). I also liked that he put it all into some pespective against the current investigation into Essendon (Defcon one, in terms of potential fallout, compared with tanking's Defcon three).

I'm hoping that this can all get sorted in the next day or too and we can put the poor decisions of 2008-2009 behind us.

On a side note, I have HATED the sooking and complaining re: all this that has come from some of our supporters. If we keep playing the victim all the time we'll become like the Kangaroos in the 90's. Always went on and on about everyone being againts them. We did the wrong thing and we got punished. Now shut up and watch the football.

playing the victim is only when one whinges & then bends over.

Many here will not bend over, but want to fight to the death of it.

If there is no fight left in the old dog, then its time to stop. totally.

• Like 1

Golly - North won 2 flags during the 90's when they whinged about 'everyone being against them'. More whinging here please if that is the result.

collingwood & essendon scream the loudest over the last 15 years.

that damn Ol' wheel just doesn't stop squeaking.

We would have been a joke, S_T, had we not lost that game to the Tigers. We would have been a joke had we passed on the opportunity that presented.

And how did we do it poorly or obviously? We were in front aas the siren went. Is it Warnock at CHF? Or PJ at FB?

It is our preroagative to bring in youth and bottom out, whether or not it ruined our oh-so-great culture is aside from that fact.

CW jumped on us because she thought she had Schwab in the gun.

The reason Demons supporters have being sooking for the last couple of years is because we seem to be the guinea pigs for rules & punishment.

Trengove sling tackle - given weeks for a tackle that had been encouraged as good technique for a significant period of time

Tanking - Investigated 4 years after the fact based on the comments of a disgruntled ex player

Scully - Seemingly had signed a deal outside of the permitted time frame, AFL turned a blind eye

EXactly!

All teams have blooded they're young against the weakest & softest clubs for decades, usually us for the last 16 odd years.

and the AFL use us the the softest denominator to crank out a change, or a penalty.

• Like 1

She is having a crack at a soft target for doing something she really doesn't like.

She's having a crack at us because she got juicy inside info and saw the chance for a headline. If she had SUCH strong opinions where were they in 2007 and all the years before that?

Agree with 2nd part though. Winning is the only way to turn perceptions around now.

• Like 1

When's Deegirl coming back to explain her panicky post two months back saying the club, CC, DB and CS will all be charged with tanking?

didn't she say some time ago its a moving feast, but maybe her leaker has gone quiet? and she has nothing much to right about???

Deegiel is Carro?!

1. Each to their own, but given we undertook probably the most blatant and over the top "list management' in the games history in 2009 and then still only maganed to 'win" last place by a kick after the siren, I do not think we deserved the priority pick we received. IMO you can dance around with technicalities all you want, but it is no hollow charge.

2. IMO again here, but we did the wrong thing so we deserve to get punished. The back drop over precedence etc etc has and should mitigate the punishment but to continue to fight the likely outcome (we still await the officila verdict) is folly.

We are pretty much a joke witht the public, and the only way to gain respect is to start doing the right thing for a long period of time. Journalists will go us because we have made mistakes. Caro has gone at us hard in part because we are weak and we did something she finds particularly vile. Don't get me wrong, her methods and language in some cases has often made me angry, but there is no conspiracy. She is having a crack at a soft target for doing something she really doesn't like.

mate those hollow charges would not hold up in court. So i say we go to court.

I do agree the hard work begins or i hope has already done so.

But if we do not fight these charges further all the hard work will be wasted as i can't see sponsors wanting to associate with "the Match Fixers"

So it is my opinion the fight has just begun.

1. Each to their own, but given we undertook probably the most blatant and over the top "list management' in the games history in 2009 and then still only maganed to 'win" last place by a kick after the siren

I agree with most of your post, but the most blatant "list management" was indisputably Carlton losing the last 11 in a row.
To say we were more obvious is unnecessary self-flagellation which in no way adds to the credibility of your comments.
The win with a kick after the siren is really evidence suggesting we were not, in fact, trying to lose. That scenario could not possibly have been orchestrated.

Edited by H_T
Fixed quote tags

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I agree with most of your post, but the most blatant "list management" was indisputably Carlton losing the last 11 in a row.

To say we were more obvious is unnecessary self-flagellation which in no way adds to the credibility of your comments.

The win with a kick after the siren is really evidence suggesting we were not, in fact, trying to lose. That scenario could not possibly have been orchestrated.

Thats not the way I see it. For us to only just lose given the extreme list management we undertook is evidence that we really didn't deserve the priority pick the loss gave us. If we stuck to what I would deem normal list management, we would have won IMO.

I don't know what Carlton did for those 11 losses, but the wholesale and inexplicable positional changes that we used against Richmond would be hard to beat. PJ on Nathan Brown? Hard to rationalise that one (but I am sure people will lol).

I really liked the Jake Niall article too. Even down to his description of what we allegedly did wrong ('conspired to not win games'). I also liked that he put it all into some pespective against the current investigation into Essendon (Defcon one, in terms of potential fallout, compared with tanking's Defcon three).

I'm hoping that this can all get sorted in the next day or too and we can put the poor decisions of 2008-2009 behind us.

On a side note, I have HATED the sooking and complaining re: all this that has come from some of our supporters. If we keep playing the victim all the time we'll become like the Kangaroos in the 90's. Always went on and on about everyone being againts them. We did the wrong thing and we got punished. Now shut up and watch the football.

That's right.

Lie back, think of England and take what's coming.

Exactly why we've won nothing for 48 years.

• Like 1

I don't know what Carlton did for those 11 losses, but the wholesale and inexplicable positional changes that we used against Richmond would be hard to beat. PJ on Nathan Brown? Hard to rationalise that one (but I am sure people will lol).

All given a certificate of approval by the CEO of the AFL which means that, however, morally reprehensible you might think it was to put PJ on Brown (and he kept him to one fluke goal), it wasn't a crime.

• Like 1

Thats not the way I see it. For us to only just lose given the extreme list management we undertook is evidence that we really didn't deserve the priority pick the loss gave us. If we stuck to what I would deem normal list management, we would have won IMO.

No need to rationalise that move - it is our right to put our players anywhere. Winning was not a priority, other things were. End of story.

Well, it should be...

This is what few posters here conveniently forget. They cannot recall the lengths other teams previously went to such as this instance ^ to obtain early pick(s), yet have this opinion as follows: -

but given we undertook probably the most blatant and over the top "list management' in the games history in 2009

Mostly because they have a better understanding of watching our team week in, week out and not others in the past because they couldn't care less what other teams did. ie. rose coloured glasses view.

I have brought this point up before, and it remained unchallenged.

• Like 2

We haven't won anything for 48 years is because we seem to always want the easy way out.

Tank now and the priority pick will lead our club out for the football wilderness. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

We have a pathetic messiah complex.