Casey Scorpions coaching decision

KC from Casey

A lot of their failure is due to the alliance falling apart at crucial times.

2011 was Brad Gotch choosing Fevola which delayed Fitzy and ruined Cook.

2012 we rested our players and crushed Casey finals hopes despite Brett Lovett coaching.

It's not working.

It needs fixing.

There is no benefit to either club at the moment.

The old system was the best.

Who would want to be a coach at Casey if, every year, they enter the finals with less than half the normal quota of MFC players available because of injuries and early surgery?

I thought Brett Lovett did a fantastic job this year given the losses and injuries to many of his established VFL listed players as well as having to contend with the MFC's long injury list. It was unfortunate that they couldn't keep their list together when the finals come and this will need to happen when the Dees start playing AFL finals again.

WJ maybe you could coach Casey for 2013.

The sooner we get a stand alone reserve side the happier i shall be.

Coachless for half the pre season & the club in almost receivership.

In the words or Arthur from the Holy Grail.

"Run away....."

A lot of their failure is due to the alliance falling apart at crucial times.

2011 was Brad Gotch choosing Fevola which delayed Fitzy and ruined Cook.

2012 we rested our players and crushed Casey finals hopes despite Brett Lovett coaching.

It's not working.

It needs fixing.

There is no benefit to either club at the moment.

The old system was the best.

IMO alliances don't work.

The one with the power rules.

it has to be one club. or nothing.

The trouble here is, it hurts the VFL, & they're heritage, & the supporters of the Scorps.

We should separate & share the facilities, even if that eventually doesn't suit, at least both entities have they're own Ideals to meet. Masters of our own destinies.

We need to be upfront & not grind them into the dust. ashes to ashes,,,

The sooner were no longer associated with Casey the better. It's simply not working, hopefully from 2014 it will be the Casey Demons.

We are contractually obligated and I think strategically committed to the Casey area and the Casey Fields facilities.

At the end of the day, it's all about control. Brian Woodman - the GM - is on the Board of Casey Scorpions FC under President David Dillon .You can imagine that Dillon and Woodman are close to the club sponsors and to the supporter groups.If people sympathetic to Melbourne were in these two positions, then the present structure could be made to work. You can imagine Woodman fighting tooth and nail for the status quo - how many other senior sporting admin positions are there in the Casey region?

No coach wants to serve two masters . Its a no win. Peter German and Brad Gotch got out - and as I recall Brett Lovett was late appointment last year on a part -time contract when they couldn't get a satisfactory full-time applicant.

The fact they can't get a coach is a symptom of an unsatisfactory unworkable arrangement.

This is a much bigger issue for the AFL - and for player pathways etc - than Jordan McMahon's goal in 2009. The resources of the AFL and the MFC should have concentrating on this for these past four months.

Rohan Welsh will be a part-time senior coach at Casey Scorpions. He's meeting the players tonight.

Part Time coach again.....just put the toe in the water & Run when necessary....

It is better than no coach but this arrangement is just not good enough,

our young players deserve and need more.

It aint good for the Scorps either.

We are contractually obligated and I think strategically committed to the Casey area and the Casey Fields facilities.

At the end of the day, it's all about control. Brian Woodman - the GM - is on the Board of Casey Scorpions FC under President David Dillon .You can imagine that Dillon and Woodman are close to the club sponsors and to the supporter groups.If people sympathetic to Melbourne were in these two positions, then the present structure could be made to work. You can imagine Woodman fighting tooth and nail for the status quo - how many other senior sporting admin positions are there in the Casey region?

No coach wants to serve two masters . Its a no win. Peter German and Brad Gotch got out - and as I recall Brett Lovett was late appointment last year on a part -time contract when they couldn't get a satisfactory full-time applicant.

The fact they can't get a coach is a symptom of an unsatisfactory unworkable arrangement.

This is a much bigger issue for the AFL - and for player pathways etc - than Jordan McMahon's goal in 2009. The resources of the AFL and the MFC should have concentrating on this for these past four months.

yeah i understand that, thats why i said Casey Demons, the Scorpions are just about done, the next major project the club needs to concentrate on is a stand alone VFL side that plays out at Casey, with the Scorpions virtually on there knees i think this is well within our reach.

Who would want to be a coach at Casey if, every year, they enter the finals with less than half the normal quota of MFC players available because of injuries and early surgery?

I thought Brett Lovett did a fantastic job this year given the losses and injuries to many of his established VFL listed players as well as having to contend with the MFC's long injury list. It was unfortunate that they couldn't keep their list together when the finals come and this will need to happen when the Dees start playing AFL finals again.

Just maybe, we should ask the question: what is the relationship b/w casey & the Dees currently. I agree with your sentiments and thoughts. I also believe it is a very unstable environment with such as young list. We should have played many VFL finals over the last few years and this would have assisted these young players with experience.

We need professionalism with Casey with an approach of a win/ win strategy.

Ex-Carlton player (finishing up in 97).

Coached Oakleigh Chargers to premiership in 2006.

Was at Oakleigh until '08 and has been the Coach of the Vic Metro Under 18 'Academy' for the last 4 years. Could be a decent development coach.

That's about the size of it.

That's a pretty good resume to be taking over at Casey and developing a young group I would say.

Casey Scorpions appoint Vic Metro coach

Vic Metro mentor Rohan Welsh has been appointed head coach of the Casey Scorpions

THIS season's successful Vic Metro coach Rohan Welsh has been appointed coach of the Melbourne's VFL aligned club, the Casey Scorpions for 2013.

Soon after accepting the role, Welsh was introduced to the players at training on Monday afternoon.

He will play an important role next season in the development of Melbourne's crop of youngsters that includes Jimmy Toumpas, Jack Viney and 17-year-old Jesse Hogan.

Welsh, 42, coached Vic Metro between 2009-2012 and led the representative team to victory in the past two years. Viney was a member of the victorious Vic Metro team under Welsh in 2012.

Welsh coached the Oakleigh Chargers in the TAC Cup between 2005-2008 and was also an assistant coach at the Calder Cannons.

He coached Carlton's Marc Murphy and Sydney Swans premiership player Nick Smith at the Oakleigh Chargers. He also played 42 games for Carlton and with Dandenong in the VFA.

Melbourne was pleased to have such a well-credentialed coach in the position and was looking forward to the season ahead in alignment with the Scorpions.

"Rohan brings extensive coaching experience at both TAC Cup level and at the National Championships," Melbourne football manager Josh Mahoney said.

"He has been involved with successful teams and demands high standards from his players, two attributes which we value highly as a club."

Welsh will be in the role on a part-time basis in a similar set up to the one involving former Demon Brett Lovett in 2012.

The Casey Scorpions had a strong season in 2012 under Lovett before tumbling out of the finals in straight sets. Lovett resigned from the position to spend more time with family and to concentrate on his business.

Edited by Chippy
  • Like 1

Part Time coach again.....just put the toe in the water & Run when necessary....

It is better than no coach but this arrangement is just not good enough,

our young players deserve and need more.

It aint good for the Scorps either.

He is very well credentialled for a development coach - and to that extent appears to be a very positive appointment.

I don't like the fact that he is part-time though. Is that Welsh's call - or the club's call ( presumably for financial reasons) ?

The key question is who is he answerable to - Woodman and the Scorpions Board or Craig/Neeld and Viney?

If the latter , let's hope he settles in for more than one year! If the former let's hope there's a change at season's end.

Edited by hoopla

He is very well credentialled for a development coach - and to that extent appears to be a very positive appointment.

I don't like the fact that he is part-time though. Is that Welsh's call - or the club's call ( presumably for financial reasons) ?

The key question is who is he answerable to - Woodman and the Scorpions Board or Craig/Neeld and Viney?

If the latter , let's hope he settles in for more than one year! If the former let's hope there's a change at season's end.

not having a go at Rohan Welsh at all. I hope is a great coach and a good bloke.

I don't like how he is employed. It is not professional.

On this i think we agree.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2012-12-17/casey-scorpions-appoint-vic-metro-coach?utm_medium=RSS'>Casey Scorpions appoint Vic Metro coach

He's had a fair amount of success as a coach of junior footballers and was named the All Australian coach in 2011 and assistant to the AA coach this year. These are the type of credentials you would look for in your alignment coach if you have a young list you want to develop through your VFL club.

It suggests to me that the emphasis at Casey will be very different in 2013 than it has been in previous years and the club's ladder position is going to be secondary to the aim of bringing our young players on to the point where they can move seamlessly into top company.

The VFL traditionalists might not be happy with this approach but it makes sense from Melbourne's point of view and given that the Demons have plenty of full time coaches on staff, the fact that the Casey coach is only part time might not be such a big issue in this context.

• Like 6

Purely from a Melbourne standpoint this is fine. Shows we're moving in a no nonsense direction and (finally) exerting our influence over what is in our interest. As WJ suggests it mightnt make Scorpions all warm and fuzzy, well welcome to your new reality; it's us or bust, our way or the Sth Gippy Hwy !!!!

• Like 1

Casey Scorpions appoint Vic Metro coach

He's had a fair amount of success as a coach of junior footballers and was named the All Australian coach in 2011 and assistant to the AA coach this year. These are the type of credentials you would look for in your alignment coach if you have a young list you want to develop through your VFL club.

It suggests to me that the emphasis at Casey will be very different in 2013 than it has been in previous years and the club's ladder position is going to be secondary to the aim of bringing our young players on to the point where they can move seamlessly into top company.

The VFL traditionalists might not be happy with this approach but it makes sense from Melbourne's point of view and given that the Demons have plenty of full time coaches on staff, the fact that the Casey coach is only part time might not be such a big issue in this context.

you could be right WJ, & i hope you are.

Casey may have already been bent over as their last resort.

The part time appointment does concern me & that of the Casey listed players.

What is in it for them?

No point in having 20 listed players who don't really care...

It is this point of the alignment that i have never liked.

I can't help but feel for KC reading this thread. He is a person who puts a lot into this site with his Casey updates and game day previews and reviews.

There are too many cut throat doomsayers here saying the MFC needs to take over of the Scorpions but what is left behind is passionate supporters at Casey. I want a win/win situation in which the Casey Scorpions thrive in the VFL and the MFC have a stand alone team playing at the same ground. That's the best outcome I feel everyone should support.

Casey may resemble a carcass with its financial situation, it does not need DL's feeding off it.

Whose to say Scorps wont be a better team for all this. Greater allignment dhould have everyone pushing in same direction , all on same page. We'll obviously brnefit by having youth developed but Casey ought to then end up with more involvement and access to our resources . They be all but Melbournes magoos other than name.

I see it as a step up for them.