• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Illegal drug culture - Football

H_T

Have you ever done a pre-season. Have you ever played a game. Have you ever gut run until you spewed, and do it day after day.

Footy is the hardest proffession around. The most intense pressure.

Do you know that muslims think we are all drug addicts because we drink alcohol?

Are we?

It is all about perception.

Nothing is a problem unless it is harming you.

If playing AFL is too hard then quit, go play country footy and get on it till the sun comes up... If your going to stick your hand out for $300,000 a year there is going to be some sacrafices, if that means being subject to public scrutiny for taking ILLEGAL drugs then thats the price to pay

What business is it of ours if they do take drugs ?You seem to know for sure that they do?

I dont see how it affects your life .

Unless it enhances performance-live and let live .

MYOB.

Funny enough I agree with you on the live and let live and don't think the AFL should be testing for non performance enhancing drugs at all, they've really opened up a can of worms with that one. If players want to screw up their lives it's their business as it is with any of us.

Where you have it wrong is I haven't said anywhere in my post that I know for sure they are taking drugs, I was replying to 'tona's' post where he seems to think they have a reason too with the extra pressures they are placed under. I would argue that they are under no more pressure and indeed in many cases less pressure than the average man on the street.

We then got onto the Garlett issue, I know you are pro Garlett from your posts, my point here is that off field issues are a problem at a club whether they be from alcohol, drugs, gambling whatever and you don't go and invite those problems if you can help it. I have no idea if Swan or Martin are on drugs, I really don't care but I do know they are both causing their clubs grief. We don't need any more of that.

Drugs the biggest issue in footy ? How about the biggest non-issue in footy. The latest talk is a snorefest. In the highest risk demographic AFL footballers would be at the bottom of the pile for participants.

Boring.

It's also interesting this issue has come up just when there has been talk of action on revenue sharing being more equitable, taking away the advantage a club like Collingwood has in big FD spends. This is the biggest issue in footy, the other is a huge social issue.

Have you ever done a pre-season. Have you ever played a game. Have you ever gut run until you spewed, and do it day after day.

Do you know that muslims think we are all drug addicts because we drink alcohol?

Are we?

I would think running the country might be right up there.

The problem is you just don't harm yourself, you take a lot of others down with you.

This is societies problem, not and AFL issue,

No reason in my opinion that AFL players should be held any more accountable than the rest of us, in relation to losing our jobs due to using which many people do and get away with.

I think it is a club issue, in that players obvioulsy arnt fully committed but that is a different story imo

Are we?

Are you serious, There are plenty of kids out there who get up at 5.00am to take a 1 -2 hr hike to work get home around 7 play amatuer sport so train and I'm sure quite a few use drugs on their days off but others don't. And they would give away a limb to be have the opportunity to play AFL.

AFL is just another part of society no different to others so they should be afforded no more slack to anyone else, life is hard for most of us but to condone drug use is wrong. With 17 years experience in the Police I have seen many heartbreaking stories from drugs, it kills, tears families apart and makes people do things they normally would not do. n top of that it curtails numerous talented sporting kids aspirations

You will never stop them and the 3 strikes policy is about saving face for the AFL nothing else. So in a nutshell it is a problem it's like thinking you can drive because you have only had a few beers, you may be able to function but your reactions will be affected a bit.

As for your comment about the hard life these players face, we all chose what we do in life, some of our choices are limited due to talent, ability, genetics and education so please don't take me down the track of how difficult it is. Yes I have done pre season's may be me but I love pain so had no effect on my state of mind made me fitter and sharper. Train hard play hard and enjoy a drink that was me in my younger days but that was a different era, never though did I ever dabble in drugs. Whilst the money is great and the buzz of playing in front of big crowds is attractive it is having such an affect on your health you are becoming depressed and using drugs then like teh rest of us in the workplace you need to be mature enough to make the decision to walk away for your long term benefits.

Being in the AFL system did not create the situation for these players, their make up and characteritics were in grained well before they were drafted and is due to their parents, mentors, family and friends. All the AFL drug policy allows is for someone to be able to take the risks without fear of being subjected to public scrutiny or loss of employment that many of the rest of us face.

In closing if you feel drugs are not harmful find a kid around 11 to 12 years of age who is a beautiful fun loving child and a bit of a larican, handsome, fit and full of life. Due to circumstances out of the kids control he gets in with the wrong crowd and mum and dad are to pre occupied to care or notice change, a couple of beers and smokes at 13/14 turns to Cannabis you meet the kid a few times over the years, he still seems the same on the outside, lost a bit of weight but seems to be still a bit of a lad. You try and discuss the Cannabis use affects ever person differently and to tread carefully.

At 15-17 you realise the kid is out of control, he now looks 30, black circles around the eyes, clothes falling off him and he has no care for his appearance. You meet with the parents and they tell you they cant get through to their kid and he fell in with the wrong crowd, they try their best ( but in your heart of hearts you know they haven't). You offer advice and try and help the best you can. Then one night your working as a cop and you get the call to a collapsed person in a park. You attend and in the freezing cold is a skinny 18 year old up against the wall of a toilet block and a syringe and other drug paraphenalia beside him. You look at him and recognise him and realise this is the end of the line for him, you drive to his parents house and you think back to the 12 year old fun loving kid you met all those years ago. You have to break the news to his parents and there is no eay way to do it you comfort them as best you can but whilst there is no longer the constant worry for them they have lost their only son and you have your first son on the way and know they will never recover.

So Tonotopia that story happened to me between 1999-2005 and I still think about that kid and see his face at 12 and the deceased face at the toilet block. It is one of many kids and adults I have seen go this way. I also still see some of the "wrong crowd" he got in with and some have got on with their lives for various reasons.

All I'm saying is drugs are harmful no matter what you may think, the harm goes far beyond the user and IMO you need to think a bit more before posting such comments. Garlett does not need an AFL career at this stage, Garlett needs a wake up call, play WAFL for 12 months and realise the chance he has and the choice is his, play 4 good years of WAFL or take the opportunity you have been given, get your finger outof your arse and make them take you next year with no questions asked

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 13

Are you serious, There are plenty of kids out there who get up at 5.00am to take a 1 -2 hr hike to work get home around 7 play amatuer sport so train and I'm sure quite a few use drugs on their days off but others don't. And they would give away a limb to be have the opportunity to play AFL.

AFL is just another part of society no different to others so they should be afforded no more slack to anyone else, life is hard for most of us but to condone drug use is wrong. With 17 years experience in the Police I have seen many heartbreaking stories from drugs, it kills, tears families apart and makes people do things they normally would not do. n top of that it curtails numerous talented sporting kids aspirations

You will never stop them and the 3 strikes policy is about saving face for the AFL nothing else. So in a nutshell it is a problem it's like thinking you can drive because you have only had a few beers, you may be able to function but your reactions will be affected a bit.

As for your comment about the hard life these players face, we all chose what we do in life, some of our choices are limited due to talent, ability, genetics and education so please don't take me down the track of how difficult it is. Yes I have done pre season's may be me but I love pain so had no effect on my state of mind made me fitter and sharper. Train hard play hard and enjoy a drink that was me in my younger days but that was a different era, never though did I ever dabble in drugs. Whilst the money is great and the buzz of playing in front of big crowds is attractive it is having such an affect on your health you are becoming depressed and using drugs then like teh rest of us in the workplace you need to be mature enough to make the decision to walk away for your long term benefits.

Being in the AFL system did not create the situation for these players, their make up and characteritics were in grained well before they were drafted and is due to their parents, mentors, family and friends. All the AFL drug policy allows is for someone to be able to take the risks without fear of being subjected to public scrutiny or loss of employment that many of the rest of us face.

In closing if you feel drugs are not harmful find a kid around 11 to 12 years of age who is a beautiful fun loving child and a bit of a larican, handsome, fit and full of life. Due to circumstances out of the kids control he gets in with the wrong crowd and mum and dad are to pre occupied to care or notice change, a couple of beers and smokes at 13/14 turns to Cannabis you meet the kid a few times over the years, he still seems the same on the outside, lost a bit of weight but seems to be still a bit of a lad. You try and discuss the Cannabis use affects ever person differently and to tread carefully.

At 15-17 you realise the kid is out of control, he now looks 30, black circles around the eyes, clothes falling off him and he has no care for his appearance. You meet with the parents and they tell you they cant get through to their kid and he fell in with the wrong crowd, they try their best ( but in your heart of hearts you know they haven't). You offer advice and try and help the best you can. Then one night your working as a cop and you get the call to a collapsed person in a park. You attend and in the freezing cold is a skinny 18 year old up against the wall of a toilet block and a syringe and other drug paraphenalia beside him. You look at him and recognise him and realise this is the end of the line for him, you drive to his parents house and you think back to the 12 year old fun loving kid you met all those years ago. You have to break the news to his parents and there is no eay way to do it you comfort them as best you can but whilst there is no longer the constant worry for them they have lost their only son and you have your first son on the way and know they will never recover.

So Tonotopia that story happened to me between 1999-2005 and I still think about that kid and see his face at 12 and the deceased face at the toilet block. It is one of many kids and adults I have seen go this way. I also still see some of the "wrong crowd" he got in with and some have got on with their lives for various reasons.

All I'm saying is drugs are harmful no matter what you may think, the harm goes far beyond the user and IMO you need to think a bit more before posting such comments. Garlett does not need an AFL career at this stage, Garlett needs a wake up call, play WAFL for 12 months and realise the chance he has and the choice is his, play 4 good years of WAFL or take the opportunity you have been given, get your finger outof your arse and make them take you next year with no questions asked

I wish I could have expressed it as well as you 'Pennant', well written post.

DO you know why player resort to drugs to feel good.

Its because they get thrashed on the track all summer. Go to battle everyweekend. Get scrutinised at every fault, and are treated like robots or even worse, cattle.

Drugs offer an escape and good feelings. Its hardly a surprise that players do it. And often, it is the hardest, toughest players that get on it.

The human condition is not designed to play football at this level. For most players, they have been thrashed or been thrashing themselves since the age of 14.

Drugs offer an easy way to feel human again, and not a blood thirsty warrior.

I do not condone the use of drugs, but I would not condem a man for indulging. For some, it is just like having a drink.

Go easy on blokes, especially 18 year olds like Garlett.

And moreso the recovery is much quicker on the charlie than a night on the bottle. So im told

The 3 strike policy is just so wrong.

Why should the AFL put itself above societies laws.

I have taken my share of drugs over many years. I have never been caught or charged, but i always knew it was possible.

3 strikes is just hiding more damming information that Vlad & Anderson do not want to acknowledge.

Nothing to do with societies law.

Where you ever tested at your place of work??

The players agreed to be tested at work when 90% of the rest of the population dont.

• Like 1

Nothing to do with societies law.

Where you ever tested at your place of work??

The players agreed to be tested at work when 90% of the rest of the population dont.

no i have never been tested at work. If my workplace had drug testing i would not have objected, they pay my bills.

What i would object to is being tested during my Rec Leave or days off. That is my time.

Look at the sale of energy drinks. Red Bull Monster, ever read the can? Those thing are evil but society allows drugs in a can. They are ok. Like Methadone is ok but heroin is not.

Heroin is a shocking drug, but methadone is worse, much worse. But it is available at a chemist from a man in a white coat.

I am not a huge drug user, in my teens and 20's i tried and enjoyed many different highs...But i have slowed it right down now...special occasions!

and i've never heard of an addict that didn't hurt other people either

Robert Palmer?

no i have never been tested at work. If my workplace had drug testing i would not have objected, they pay my bills.

What i would object to is being tested during my Rec Leave or days off. That is my time.

Look at the sale of energy drinks. Red Bull Monster, ever read the can? Those thing are evil but society allows drugs in a can. They are ok. Like Methadone is ok but heroin is not.

Heroin is a shocking drug, but methadone is worse, much worse. But it is available at a chemist from a man in a white coat.

I am not a huge drug user, in my teens and 20's i tried and enjoyed many different highs...But i have slowed it right down now...special occasions!

Why is methadone much worse? This is a comment from some-one who does not know the methodology behind methadone. Methadone is a synthetic form of opiate. It has a much longer half life than heroin. Heroin has a half life of 8 hours. This requires a heroin users to use heroin 3 to 4 times a day in order to function. As a result, users will be unemployed unable to hold a job and function, ultimately heroin users will resort to crime to feed a habit.

Methadone has a half life of 24 hours and only requires an addict to use once a day. Therefore they can work and function on a daily basis. They attend a pharmacy each day to get their medication. Its a program designed not to get indivifuals off their face or high.

This is a simplistic explanation

WYL, I thought you would have understood this. Particulary considering you have worked in the field and had a girlfriend who was an addict. Somehow I'm sure this aint true, but something you have claimed in the past!!

Yep-thats it .

The PA system reinforces this for them .

I can see a whole lot of "Drugs are Bad KAy?"TV ads with some of the more squeaky clean players getting to speak.

I wonder if they ever do drugs at TV stations?

Wonder!? :blink:

Do Bears do it on the Woods? :)

Class drug Warfare, or Horses for courses. seen in a black & white striped PortaLoo near your favourite racetrack.

Caro names names. Swan the biggest, then Sam Fisher......

http://www.theage.co...1128-2aef8.html

Funny to see people so relaxed about a Caro special.

No quotes, save an old reference to Pert's comments a week ago.

No sources.

No facts.

No incidents cited involving Swan or Fisher.

The only non-Caro reference I've seen to the Fisher claims was a denial from a team mate.

If her claims can't be substantiated better than this even if they are right, they are not worth publishing.

Now because she's not writing about us we think it's OK.

Regardless of what lies behind it, this reporting method is seriously questionable.

Why is methadone much worse? This is a comment from some-one who does not know the methodology behind methadone. Methadone is a synthetic form of opiate. It has a much longer half life than heroin. Heroin has a half life of 8 hours. This requires a heroin users to use heroin 3 to 4 times a day in order to function. As a result, users will be unemployed unable to hold a job and function, ultimately heroin users will resort to crime to feed a habit.

Methadone has a half life of 24 hours and only requires an addict to use once a day. Therefore they can work and function on a daily basis. They attend a pharmacy each day to get their medication. Its a program designed not to get indivifuals off their face or high.

This is a simplistic explanation

WYL, I thought you would have understood this. Particulary considering you have worked in the field and had a girlfriend who was an addict. Somehow I'm sure this aint true, but something you have claimed in the past!!

Ever seen someones teeth rot with methadone?

I have had dealings in the field and yes it was through a girlfriend who used both..

As you said Methadone is a synthetic opiate...not good, but it does get people off heroin sometimes i will give you that.

Edited by why you little

Funny to see people so relaxed about a Caro special.

No quotes, save an old reference to Pert's comments a week ago.

No sources.

No facts.

No incidents cited involving Swan or Fisher.

The only non-Caro reference I've seen to the Fisher claims was a denial from a team mate.

If her claims can't be substantiated better than this even if they are right, they are not worth publishing.

Now because she's not writing about us we think it's OK.

Regardless of what lies behind it, this reporting method is seriously questionable.

I wonder if Caro is doing the AFL & Pies a favour off the record so to speak, re an issue & a maybe a player with an ongoing issue.

They may be worried that if he gets caught, like young Tucky did, out on the street, caught by the boys in blue. This would be a massive stain on the AFL & on the game after so much past speculation.

And another big CHF name up for contract after 2013, has had his big name shopped about to see if there were any nibbles??? You wouldn't think that was possible would you if he was clean-skinned & if he was totally wanted.

Ever seen someones teeth rot with methadone?

I have had dealings in the field and yes it was through a girlfriend who used both..

As you said Methadone is a synthetic opiate...not good, but it does get people off heroin sometimes i will give you that.

It's not great 'WYL' and I'm not sure it really gets people off in the long run, having been close to people who have had problems with drugs and I still am with some , also having a team mate pass away many years back now, well.....you know I can still see his face the last time I saw him, it took a while to register that it was him.

It's not great 'WYL' and I'm not sure it really gets people off in the long run, having been close to people who have had problems with drugs and I still am with some , also having a team mate pass away many years back now, well.....you know I can still see his face the last time I saw him, it took a while to register that it was him.

spot on mate. They can only keep it a secret for so long...

Are we?

You know what 'tona' I was going to let this slide but, no I'm not going to. I may not have played in the big league but I played and coached over 400 games of local football, no big deal but I loved every second of it, no money in it plenty of hard yards, training in 40 degree heat throwing my guts out making sure I could out run anyone over whatever distance even if i couldn't. It was all about playing with my mates and loving the game. Had the pleasure of catching up with some of them last Friday, it's just great to catch up with old team mates.

I was one of those skinny kids, did some training with another skinny kid one summer when we were both trying to put some weight on, same size, same height only difference was he could really play, I was a battler, Fitzroy champ Gary Wilson may not mean anything to you and by the way in those days VFL players were not making money out of the game.

The point is pretty much any kid that is brought up in Victoria would give their eye teeth to play AFL, these guys if they are prepared to put in are set up for life, so give me a break on the hard life they lead. You have no idea.