• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

What are the Demons lacking

S.R.J

Brains. We took the easy route with Bailey, the way we went about our footy became embedded in the culture. Too much "we'll be good in 3 years so we may as well do hardly anything now"

Harsh, He did want us to be 'competitive'.

I think what we really need is pride. Not this [censored] flag waving, jumper pulling crap that comes out after we get our twice monthly bake in the media, but real ingrained pride in the club and pride in the job that they do. With that all the other stuff flows: you train harder, go harder, look out for your team mates, lift when it's needed, etc.

I think we almost, but not quite, had it under Swooper, but I haven't seen much of it before or since.

• Like 2

We need desire, pace and consistency(to begin with anyway...)

I see a midfield this year constantly being let down by 1 player, eithor moloney had a shocker or Bate was thrown in there. And the work of 3 men was always being done by 2.

I see a backline under huge amounts of stress, eithor from a fast clean inside 50 entry by the opposition, or when in possession of the ball in our defensive 50, a lack of options or targets or people presenting to the ball (which often I put down to a lack of fitness )

I see tackles not sticking to the opponent and being brushed aside, good teams make their tackles stick!

Let's be honest, this year was a disaster.

Major things to work on are our tackles, presenting to the ball, pace, possessions and clearences.

We have had a good clear out of the people letting our side down and that's a good start.

• Like 2

it's all been said, but the clearest thing wrong with us in '12 was the forward line, amplified by Clark's injury. This is clear in the fact we matched up well in terms of forward entries against good sides on a number of occasions. A second big bloke in Dawes, perhaps another pinch-hitter in Pederson, a flanker in Byrnes and possibly a crumber in Rodan - we've obviosuly tried to patch this wound, if it works out even a fraction as well as it could we should be getting a lot more runs on the board

• Like 1

We are lacking a Half Back Flank with good disposal who is quick and breaks lines in the mould of the Shaw brothers, Malcevski etc, thats what we wanted Ray for, in theory Davey, Blease or Strauss could do this, but they would have to seriously step it up.

We also need at least three quality mids. Apart from that we just need improvement from our spine and some of our younger guys to step up and we will be a lot better. Long term we will need to see how the new inclusions do and how some of our young guns come on to know where we are deficient. Structually we look at lot better this year though.

We have good run out of the backline, T Mac, Dan Nicholson, Wattsy, Frawley and Grimes especially.

But they need blokes up the groung presenting to them or our mid fielders finding space and being clear options.

Our defenders will benefit from the Bailey era....things will only get easier from now!

There is still a hell of alot of improvement to go in our "engine room". I accept that clearances and forward entries improved as the year went on, but I think it could be observed that the opposition weren't taking us all that seriously in the latter stages of the season. The big boys remain a long way in the distance, and whether we have the personnel to get us to where they are remains to be seen.

As much as I love Jonesy and accept that he has earned the title of A Grader, I don't know if he will ever reach that level of the man around whom you build a midfield like a Cotchin or a Watson.

There's alot of hope and assumptions of greatness being pinned on Viney and Wines, but both are yet to play a senior game.

Trenners' 2012 was like a car crash in super slow motion. Grimes tries his guts out but his disposal remains dubious.

Bottom line is that there is everything still to prove. Talk of just needing to patch together the forwardline (as we have done) and everything will be hunky dory is getting a bit ahead of ourselves. I'd like to see how the midfield performs in 2013 before ticking it off as some appear to be doing, all before Viney has even played or Wines/Pick 4 has been selected.

• Like 1

A bit more pace and outside run .

Haven't we just recruited Byrnes & Roden and hope a fit Davey will fulfil the roles of more pace and outside run?

We are lacking a quality back-line, a quality mid-field and a quality forward-line

I've probably forgot something but that will do for starters

What did you expect for a side that finished 16th with 4 wins FFS

And to think in 2010, commentators and supporters were talking of 'The Great Wall' down back.

That no longer exists and it leaks like a sieve thanks to our lack of quality midfield and lack

of pressure around the ground.

What is wrong with Grundy? Surely another 202cm and 100kg big man could not hurt. I don't think we need another midfielder but a young key position/ruck would not go astray (especially when he is touted as the 'best big man in the draft)!

• Like 1

We are lacking a lot of things, but the most important, I believe, is fitness.

If you analyse our games this year, we were often in the contests early in games only to fade towards the end, as we tired and couldn't cover the ground. We also got smashed a lot towards the end of quarters, when players were in need of a rest.

If you can't cover the ground against the seasoned teams in the comp, filled with players with a number of pre-seasons under their belt, you don't stand a chance.

• Like 3

What is wrong with Grundy? Surely another 202cm and 100kg big man could not hurt. I don't think we need another midfielder but a young key position/ruck would not go astray (especially when he is touted as the 'best big man in the draft)!

Welcome.

Have you been in another country for the last three weeks?

We have just acquired a 194cm/105kg FF/CHF in Chris Dawes, a 193cm/100kg FP/Back-up ruck in Cameron Pedersen, and a 194cm/97kg 17 year old FF/CHF in Jesse Hogan to accompany our 200cm/100kg FF/back-up ruck in Mitch Clark.

Grundy wouldn't get a game in our forward line and while he may become an excellent ruckman - Jamar has another three years on his contract, ruckmen take ages to mature, the best ruckmen in the game (Sandilands, Cox, Jolly) came from the rookie list, and we need midfielders.

Pick 4 should be spent on the best midfielder in the draft.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 6

IMO will get knocked over for this but must be said.

What we need is a massive signing. A Captain.

Leadership from the top. Mentors for the kids. Ablett, Judd, Brown, Pendel types.

An experienced coach. Current coach is out of his depth while no doubt great intentions you can't simply copy and paste a Collingwood game style into Melbournes. Won't work. Players aren't Robots and have different skills and attributes.

How many times this year did we hit the boundary line only to see the ball drift out on full giving the ball back each time.

Hi guys,

What do u think the demons are lacking.....I know a lot might say we lack midfielders, but what about defence. Now rivers has gone are we lacking a key Backmen?

I say a dominant ruckman - Jamar isnt big enough and not winning enough around the field or on the forward line.

We are lacking a lot of things, but the most important, I believe, is fitness.

If you analyse our games this year, we were often in the contests early in games only to fade towards the end, as we tired and couldn't cover the ground. We also got smashed a lot towards the end of quarters, when players were in need of a rest.

If you can't cover the ground against the seasoned teams in the comp, filled with players with a number of pre-seasons under their belt, you don't stand a chance.

That Jako is the number one problem in 2012 You hit the nail on the head

I have just watched all games again courtesy Foxtel and in many many games we just stopped deadin last quarters

I have watched mfc v the saints round 5 and we played very well aprt from the odd Morton/Bail clanger we stopped running and chasing giving lennie hayes easy possesions

If they cant get fit dont pay them. The absolute minimum the supporters can expect is a fit motivated team. Its just not acceptable

• Like 1

A midfield of AFL quality.

Skilful half back flankers that have elite ball use.

A ruckman that can take marks around the ground. Prefer left footers.

A goal sneak, preferably in the Stevie Milne mould.

A lock-down small defender.

Improved fitness.

Confidence.

• Like 2

I'm not against it at all, with the way we've gone with our trades & delistings,,,, & the talls catered for up front, I can definitely see the potential for a young guy like Him coming in.

We have good run out of the backline, T Mac, Dan Nicholson, Wattsy, Frawley and Grimes especially.

But they need blokes up the groung presenting to them or our mid fielders finding space and being clear options.

This was one of my great bugbears during the season. Blokes coming out of the backline looking for a target, and not finding anyone presenting.

Rivers was our biggest loss and I liked Moloney (despite this year). I don't know why we didn't persevere with Martin either?

My hope is that we can get 202cm, 100kg Fitzpatrick really fired up as a third tall and somehow retrain Pederson and Sellars to fill the gap left by Rivers (though having Watts as a key backman gives me some confidence)!

• Like 1