First Delistings Announced

titan_uranus

I was reminded today by Mono that I posted back in July that Neeld and Craig said at the time there were going to be massive changes at the club come the end of the year and I think that there will be more to come. They did say at the time they would be scouring all the leagues and competition looking for any talent that has gone unnoticed so there may be some left field selections to come.

I just hope it's "left field" in the Jeremy Howe sense, not in the Lucas Cook sense. No more Prendergast gambles for me thanks.

Largely out of Neeld's control.

Unless he can jump in a time machine, the 47 years previous have nothing to do with Neeld (save a few meetings between the Pies and the Dees where he played a minor role and on a few occasions as a player).

186 is a horrible blight on our club and still gives me nightmares - it has, however, served as a catalyst for a monumental shift in direction (hopefully for the positive).

No decisions are made purely with 186 in mind, but that day forced the club to look in the mirror and choose a new path.

Whilst 9 of the players who played that day are already gone, they are not gone purely for their involvement in that game. They are gone because of a mixture of continual failure and Neeld's desire to stamp his philosophy on the list as quickly as possible

i agree. But to me 186 is the reference point.

It is when the CLUB realized it was teetering right on the edge.

It is since that moment that the real changes have begun imo

I'm a happy little Vegemite.

That's about a dozen threads that wont be bumped again next year.

Let's hope we can get some positive threads going now.

For me personally, this is the best news to come from this announcement; that there must be hope for Bartram's knee.

No one else on the list can play his role (maybe Bail, at a stretch). He's fast, tough, accountable and can lock down on a opposition goal sneak or run with a hardrunning midfielder. He can also break lines. (He just needs to err towards feeding it off (to Watts, Strauss etc) rather than trying to hit a target up forward himself).

Not trying to be mean but seriously Bartram is not up to league standard his kicking has always been woeful and he has never ever been able to lock down on a small forward who normally kicked 2 or 3 on him plus the extra goals scored by his crap kicking.

Bartram has desire yes, but it is completely cancelled out by his talent level

It think Tex has a point.

The Club should come out with a statement with a reason why each of these players were delisted.

Something like;

Petterd - Delisted due to commitment levels not meeting club standards.

Bennell - Delisted due to a weakness in his ability to get into the play and win contested football.

Bate - Delisted due to an inability to secure a position within our best 22 after 8 years of service.

and so on.

Many supporters follow players, and these supporters should be given a reason why the club choose not to re-contract players.

I believe it could be done in a tactful way.

Understand what you mean about the supporters but to me that seems more like looking backwards, than forwards.

We have been quite active making sure the club wishes players "all the best".

Leave it at that.

Your suggestion would more likely open up the club to political games from people such as Sheedy and get us in to pointless discussion with "waxxnkers like Damien Barrett, than winning football games.

• Like 1

Guys we have not even been competitive for 18 months.

Our list was poor as the results of 2012 show.

I cannot find one delisted / traded Player that I object to losing.

Massive change to the list has been made.

More I must admit than I expected.

But the players that have been flung were not AFL standard.

Drastic situations need drastic remedys.

Who knows if we will be better or not in 2013

But I for one have the feeling the players who take the field in 2013 will want to be there.

That must be an improvment

• Like 4

i agree but many on our list were involved in 186....The last 47 years before that are largely out of Neeld's control..

The Club will look hugely different when it takes the field next year.

The Media will not know how to take this...dammed if you do.....

I know WYL, what your getting at, but to focus the anger so tightly on "that game", diminishes the extent of the problem the MFC has, & has has for a long long time, in peoples minds, and so minimisers the effort we all are willing to act on.

The truth is it s been around since the late Seventies, at the very least. And my guess is since shortly after Norm finished.

Barass & Jordan cleaned a lot of it out & did a lot of repair, probably a loose guess, got us to 85% disciplined & professional before they finished up.

IMO it takes a hard disciplinarian Coach to instill the disciplines into a group without them, so after Barass & Jordans boys finished they're careers, the wheels began to fall again.

Casual coaches IMO breed casual cultures, ours has been layed back again, since we've had the layed back type coaches, for the last 20 years.

We all IMO need to become aware of this, so WE Don't continue to be a part of the problem that causes this scourge on our very own club.

The problem is our players get way ahead of themselves shortly after joining our club. And we all contribute to that end, & I've been as guilty of it as anyone. Pumping them up when they haven't deserved a kick in the pants, let alone a game in the jumper.

Neeld is on the right path, he's done a cleanup & put the salts thru a few, now the whip should start to crack at Melbourne, & no boss Dogs or long tails to Wag about.

Indians, hard working Indians.

• Like 3

Cannot believe Petterd has been delisted.

He has had injury problems for the last 2 years.

Prior he was progressing very well and proving to be a match winner.

Very disappointed and furious at this decision.

I really cannot understand this.

The club needs to come out and explain there rationale behind the delistings, Petterd in particular.

Not happy.

Tex. Are you serious man? Petterd has not looked at all interested in the last two years. Was embarrassing the few times he played this year.Would have been one of the easiest decisions for the club to make. Did you stop and think that maybe he was delisted and not traded?

Can someone with more brain power than me today work out assuming all others get contracted and 2 of nicholshon, evans, magner and couch are upgrade how many spots that leaves us on our list for the draft?

After 4 and JV we will have 3 spots left.

I would imagine we will take 2 delisted players and 1 PSD, or an extra pick in the ND and 1 delisted and 1 PSD.

The Club should come out with a statement with a reason why each of these players were delisted.

Something like;

Bennell - Delisted due to a weakness in his ability to get into the play and win contested football.

Bate - Delisted due to an inability to secure a position within our best 22 after 8 years of service.

and so on.

Many supporters follow players, and these supporters should be given a reason why the club choose not to re-contract players.

What nonsense. When any employee finishes up, for whatever reason, the employer says "thanks for all your efforts, all the best for the future" and usually gives a hand to get them a new job.

No different in an AFL footy club.

• Like 2

I recommend anyone shocked by today's delistings steer clear of watching The Sixth Sense lest you be rolling around on the floor suffering a heart attack at the end of the movie.

Today's action was predictable, and in my view, fairly tame. We already knew three of the eight were gone, and the rest of the choppings were on the cards. Those eleven or so players who were left uncontracted until October were always going to be in the gun. Most of those still uncontracted are not really AFL standard if we are being honest, due to lack of skill, size or ability, but seem to have survived this list lodgement because they compete.

Anyway, thanks to these lads for their service. The end of the AFL dream for most of them. Others have said it, but not trading Bate for 39 was a lose-lose for club and Bate, and was always going to be the case. As zany a decision now as it was then.

Edited by pantaloons
  • Like 1

Dees Dayz delisted after 52 years and a 12 month suspension.

Hi guys, I’m back after being suspended from this forum for 12 months.

I was suspended for disagreeing with a potential Mick Malthouse signing for 2012 as coach, which was generally supported by the lexicons of this forum.

I was further ostricised by comments I made that one could not disagree with any Rhino Richards comments who seems to be epitome of the culture of this forum ( a moderator) and perhaps the MFC.

All of that is fine!

I have been a MFC supporter since 1960 when I was 7yo. I was a gold member of MFC to 2011.

When I was tossed out of Demonland, I discussed with my wife and family what we thought the culture of MFC was, and further, how MFC relates to regional people who are not MCC members etc.

I declined membership of MFC this year while I decided exactly why I have supported the MFC for 52 years.

I will be signing up with the Richmond Football club as a member in 2013.

Obviously I won’t be returning to this forum. My children and grandkids can decide who they wish to follow for themselves

• Facepalm 1

I was suspended for disagreeing with a potential Mick Malthouse signing for 2012 as coach, which was generally supported by the lexicons of this forum.

I was further ostricised by comments I made that one could not disagree with any Rhino Richards comments who seems to be epitome of the culture of this forum ( a moderator) and perhaps the MFC.

All of that is fine!

I have been a MFC supporter since 1960 when I was 7yo. I was a gold member of MFC to 2011.

When I was tossed out of Demonland, I discussed with my wife and family what we thought the culture of MFC was, and further, how MFC relates to regional people who are not MCC members etc.

I declined membership of MFC this year while I decided exactly why I have supported the MFC for 52 years.

Obviously I won’t be returning to this forum. My children and grandkids can decide who they wish to follow for themselves

Sorry to see you leave, & sorry you've become twisted by the attitudes. But I do understand how you feel.

Good luck with the Tiges, my first, '2nd club', back in the 70's when Royce heart was tearing it up.

I hope some of these delistings send a loud and clear message, 'Don't take your spot for granted.' For too long, the goal of MFC players was to simply get onto a senior list. If you were considered part of 'the future', you were untouchable and your spot secure. If you were someone who was a long term contributor to the place (I won't [censored] a dead horse but one player does come to mind), your position was tenuous.

These delistings say to me, 'It doesn't matter if you are young or old, experienced or green, if you aren't playing to win each week and are stuck in neutral then there is no place for you at this football club. You will compete for a spot on the list or you can play elsewhere or not play at all. '

One final note. I predict that a lot of the scuttlebutt going around Neeld losing the players will end next year. I don't like naming names but I get a feeling that some of the main offenders who (at least it appeared this way from outside the club) rebelled again Neeldy's uncompromising approach have been purged. It's never a good idea to rule by a mandate of fear but I think the foot has been well and truly put down in regards to who the boss is.

Hi All.

Heard on the grape vine today (from an unusual source, so may not be true) that the Club is into getting Mitch Banner & Ben Warren in the upcoming delisted free agent period. I will keep my thoughts to myself on this.

Im also going down to the NT Thunder training this week to get together a bit of a BIO about Dom Barry for you guys on this forum.

Speak to you then.

Cheers,

Hells Gates.

• Like 7

He is now taking desperate measures in an effort to continue his career, i.e. putting on excess weight, to then have it removed via liposuction and injected into his knee in an experimental procedure.

Since the pain has become unbearable for him, if this does not work, as is likely, his career will come to an end.

To be fair, if this ends his career, it will be via a retirement, not a delisting. But I get your point.

IN: hope

OUT: under-achievement, wasted talent, ill-discipline and athletic deficiencies

Tru, dis.

Something like;

and so on.

Really? Do you think Petterd et al want their deficiencies broadcast to the entire AFL world?

'Hey, other 17 clubs, I got delisted because I was lazy and didn't train hard enough. Get around me!'

Let the players ride off into the sunset, or better yet, try to get a new gig somewhere else, without shaming them. They didn't fit at MFC, for whatever reason, and that's all that matters. The club doesn't owe you, or me, or any other supporter, an obligation to tell us about each and every decision it makes.

• Like 2

All of that is fine!

I can't work out if this is serious or not.

Following an oppostion club? Unthinkable.

At least we know who Paul Gardiner was talking about when he referred to fickle supporters.

I congratulate Rhino for banning you. Can't believe you would have such a sook about it that you would give up.

• Like 4

I was further ostricised by comments I made that one could not disagree with any Rhino Richards comments who seems to be epitomy of the culture of this forum ( a moderator) and perhaps the MFC.

All of that is fine!

When I was tossed out of Demonland, I discussed with my wife and family what we thought the culture of MFC was, and further, how MFC relates to regional people whom are not MCC members etc.

I will be signing up with The Richmond Football club as a member in 2013.

Obviously I won’t be returning to this forum. My children and grandkids can decide whom they wish to follow for themselves

I don't know why you have bothered then.

Your bitterness toward an anonymous mod is understandable, however if it's shaping life decisions then maybe you need more introspection...

I am a Demon and couldn't imagine not being one.

Culture is not easy to change but it's easy to quit.

We are striving as you are leaving.

I hope the Tigers enjoy your faux support.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 10

I was further ostricised by comments I made that one could not disagree with any Rhino Richards comments who seems to be epitomy of the culture of this forum ( a moderator) and perhaps the MFC.

All of that is fine!

When I was tossed out of Demonland, I discussed with my wife and family what we thought the culture of MFC was, and further, how MFC relates to regional people whom are not MCC members etc.

I will be signing up with The Richmond Football club as a member in 2013.

Obviously I won’t be returning to this forum. My children and grandkids can decide whom they wish to follow for themselves

If true - good riddance.

• Like 2