A message

nutbean

I don't know if Mark Neeld's approach will be a success or failure but he is certainly sending a strong message for us the supporters, the football public but most importantly, the players on the list.

Train hard and train my way.

Play hard and play my way.

If you chose otherwise to either of these you will be at Casey this season (note the dropping of Green, Davey, Moloney, Sylvia, Blease, Morton,etc and the none playing of Gysberts) and at seasons end you will be gone.

Will this approach be successful ? I dont know - but we cannot keep on doing what we were doing pre Neeld - half arsed, close enough good enough, I'm an AFL footballer so thats enough for me type performances and seasons.

This is the most focused and directional I have seen this club in my lifetime and although internally I am shuddering at some of the trades I absolutely hear the Neeld message screaming in my ears.

I for one say - Hurrah !!

• Like 18

Guest Hulkamania

Wholeheartedly agree with the OP.

People need to stop fearing change and watch this hard-arse (Neeld) work his magic on this rabble of a weak-kneed footy club.

• Like 1

Melbourne in 2012 was the worst side since Fitzroy in 1996, excluding GWS and GC...

Not sure if that infers that nothing has changed or our current actions are a result of 2012. Attitudes and desires cannot be gauged from outside so I fully expected a fairly softly softly approach prior to last season in regards to chasing players and delisting or trading existing players - Neeld has now had a year to see who fits his criteria and who doesnt. Whilst I am not expecting finals next year I certainly am expecting a different look feel and most importantly intent compared to this season

Not sure if that infers that nothing has changed or our current actions are a result of 2012.

It infers that our list in 2012 was full of dead wood and needed serious pruning and if Gysberts and Morton could not get a game they deserved to be pruned.

• Like 1

Wholeheartedly agree with the OP.

People need to stop fearing change and watch this hard-arse (Neeld) work his magic on this rabble of a weak-kneed footy club.

I like much (but not all) of what Neeld is doing. I like reasonable change, i think Neeld will eventually be good for MFC. But blind faith like yours makes me laugh. How'd that magic go in 2012?

I for one say - Hurrah !!

I'd say "ripper" or "sh hot" but I probly grew up on the other side of the Yarra.

• Like 1

I accept that Mark Neeld has a plan and he has started to execute it.

We can cheer or we can complain.....but only time will tell.

Do you think MN owes the members an explanation or a reason to why he moved all these players on today at a "heavily discounted" price?

• Like 1

Do you think MN owes the members an explanation or a reason to why he moved all these players on today at a "heavily discounted" price?

Not only the plan, he's starting executing all the cute ones too.

If you watched any MFC games you don't need an explanation from MN. Morton was delistable.

• Like 1

No.

The only thing he needs to do is get the performance on the field. It's the only explanation necessary.

• Like 2

I have doubts, but being a nervous wreck comes with the territory of supporting this club (and long drawn out trade periods don't help Vlad). We need to back him in this year. He's turned the place on its head, but few would say it wasn't needed.

I suspect the forward loading of contract probably meant that Neeld just wanted them gone, and what ever we got for them was ok. Everyone talks about Gys's great potential, didnt look like teams were beating down our door to offer to trade for him. He was more like the set of steak knives with the Pederson deal. Morton has just lost the desire to play to engage, Martin I rate as a loss but had to make room for Pedeson, who I think looks ok, time will tell if he will develop further. I had hoped this clean out would have come last year, we had a few players like dunn, bennell, bates, etc that have been holding on to spots for years because no one has had the balls to make the hard calls and cut the lists. Thankfully we were in a reasonable position with our trade picks and FA trading to get the players where Need. I think Neeld would get rid of a few more if he could but is holding off to see if some of those who are not really performing can get themselves together, if not they will be making room for someone else this time next year.

How do you delist contracted players without paying them out? Answer is trade them for whatever you can get.

Coming up..a cull of the OOC group.

I'm not sure if I ever want to go through 2012 again.

Something had to change. Either the players attitude and skill or the players themselves.

Neeld and co have most definitely chosen the delisting path. If this experiment goes belly up the cynics will start making noise. Neeld will have a tough time keeping them off his back.

Good on you for trying something different. Let's hope you prove many wrong

• Like 1

While I agree 100%.Would have liked Sylvia gone.He reeks of the sh1tty culture that has crippled us.

Not sure that is still true. I get the impression Col was buying into the Neeld way as the season progressed. A big pre-season for Col, and if he can remain injury free, and I reckon 2013 just may be the year he finally takes the game by the scruff of the neck and dominates in the way we have hoped for so long.

We can but hope! (I have to admit to having the same hopes for Trav year after year! Can Col succeed where Trav failed?)