• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

VFL future

Tigers to field standalone VFL team

Thought this was interesting. You'd have to think that by 2014 potentially another club will field their own side. Wondering if the VFL continues with such a fractured season how long will it be before the non affiliated sides begin to play each other in the VFL weeks off so their players get game time.

Makes me wonder where the league is heading. I could be wrong but the MFC seems to be really engaging with Casey with the goal of building a much needed suburban fan base while other sides seem to be looking for a way out.

Love to get opinions from those of you more involved in the VFL to get your take on where it might be heading.

The Eagles and Dockers want their own sides in the WAFL too. I think its a bad idea, and a slap in the face to WAFL or VFL clubs who might not be as poweful as the AFL clubs, but who have passionate members and players who dont seem to come into the AFL clubs calculations.

If the AFL clubs want a reserves comp then they should have a 18 team reserve comp IMO

Aren't Essendon fielding their own VFL side for 2013 as well?

Yeah, they come in next year and Bendigo go back to being unaffiliated. Geelong, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond with their own sides in the VFL comp in 2014 with Melbourne, North, Bulldogs, Carlton, Hawks, and Saints being affiliated. Wonder what Carlton and Hawthorn are thinking?

The Eagles and Dockers want their own sides in the WAFL too. I think its a bad idea, and a slap in the face to WAFL or VFL clubs who might not be as poweful as the AFL clubs, but who have passionate members and players who dont seem to come into the AFL clubs calculations.

If the AFL clubs want a reserves comp then they should have a 18 team reserve comp IMO

I am sure VFL folk are as passionate as AFL fans, but the VFL as an entity will only gain respect as a genuine affiliated / support competition when they get one more (or one fewer) team to eliminate the multiple byes.

I think it can be made to work DemonWA.

If the AFL Reserves sides have limitations applied to them. Say that they can't field more than 3 senior AFL players aged 27 Years or more in any one VFL team.

This I think would suit because Primarily the VFL comp for AFL clubs is the Nursery for development first.

I think this helps the Original VFL Clubs maintain strength, by being able to recruit & field mature players who have fallen off, or missed AFL Listing.

This I think, would help balance the competition.

If the VFL consisted of 18 teams, 10 current Victorian based AFL Reserves teams, & 8 of the 1950's VFL clubs, I think it could be made to work.

I'd like to see them play each other once, & start 3 weeks earlier than the AFL competition, & have the VFL Grand Final scheduled for play, the week prior to AFL Preliminary Finals.

Edited by dee-luded

Yeah, they come in next year and Bendigo go back to being unaffiliated. Geelong, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond with their own sides in the VFL comp in 2014 with Melbourne, North, Bulldogs, Carlton, Hawks, and Saints being affiliated. Wonder what Carlton and Hawthorn are thinking?

Carlton and Hawthorn are but have reserves sides now anyway. Especially Carlton.

Worst thing about this news is that it'll keep the bye in the VFL and they'll probably have another four of them plus a state game week that nobody cares about.

I've posted this before, but this has practical limitations. Given the list sizes, you'd have a number of "supplementary" players on your list that are basically filler to keep your reserves side stocked. These would be amateur players that you'd essentially be asking to travel every couple of weeks to play footy, and you'd have to pay them to some degree (i.e. AFL clubs paying players who are not good enough to play AFL football). With so many interstate teams now I think the costs of running it would far exceed the benefit of it.

In what other national elite competition do the left over players plan in varying leagues with varying levels of other players (besides obviously the loan system in soccer).

To be honest I think that at least for the Victorian clubs they should all be stand alone considering the dam has broken and Coll and Geel have their own teams with Essendon coming and Hawthorn and Carlton have quasi stand alone teams anyway. All it means is that Richmond, WB, North, St Kilda and us are disadvantaged.

The situation for the NSW and Queensland teams seems to be working pretty well, and I don't really see what the major issue is with the WA and SA clubs fielding teams in the WAFL and SANFL besides the problem of 2 Port Adelaides in the SANFL!

The disadvantage of making it 10 reserve teams with however many of the VFL clubs who survive alone (which you'd think would be at least half a dozen) is that the competition as a whole becomes thinner with the increase in teams. But I'm not sure what the alternative is because at the moment by fielding a strong Casey side we are improving the competition for Collingwood and Geelong and therefore subsidising the development of their players.

Carlton and Hawthorn are but have reserves sides now anyway. Especially Carlton.

Worst thing about this news is that it'll keep the bye in the VFL and they'll probably have another four of them plus a state game week that nobody cares about.

Hawthorn pretty much have a "strangle hold" on the Eastern corridor. Glenferrie, through Box Hill and accross to Waverley.The Eastern Football League I believe is the largest suburban competion ( ex the Ammos ). So there is a lot of Aussie rules played out in the East and Hawthorn have made a significant investment in it. I would therefore be surprised if they changed their strategy and left the gate open for somebody else to take their space. On the back of this the Casey area is in a growth corridor, the local investment and committment in things like Casey fields is obvious and is likely to be a growing market for AFL , particularly with lots of young families with young kids. I realise there are detractors but I'm of the view that the Demons strategic alliance with Casey is a positive one and also reckon its a great place to watch footy. I hope it ends up a good win/win story.

If the VFL consisted of 18 teams, 10 current Victorian based AFL Reserves teams, & 8 of the 1950's VFL clubs, I think it could be made to work.

In the 1950's the VFL was the main competition (12 teams, 6 games each Saturday in Melbourne) and each VFL team had Seniors, Reserves and under 19 sides. There are now only 10 left, now called the AFL. Thge minor competition was the VFA (Victorian Football Association) who played 16 a side (no wingers).

But I can see what you are calling for.

Just FCS get an even number of VFL teams so that we are all not so repeatedly disadvantaged with all these byes. It is ridiculous.

The practicalities of having a national "reserves" competition are overwhelming, especially with lists of 40.

This week for example we only had I believe 27 players from whom to choose - that would leave but 3 of ours and 21 "top ups" to maybe take to Perth or Darwin for a second their match! Not even the CFC (Cardboard or Chickenwing FC) could afford that.

Just FCS get an even number of VFL teams so that we are all not so repeatedly disadvantaged with all these byes. It is ridiculous.

The practicalities of having a national "reserves" competition are overwhelming, especially with lists of 40.

This week for example we only had I believe 27 players from whom to choose - that would leave but 3 of ours and 21 "top ups" to maybe take to Perth or Darwin for a second their match! Not even the CFC (Cardboard or Chickenwing FC) could afford that.

I heard a guy from the VFL on SEN last week saying all the byes weren't just because of the uneven amount of teams, but also because of the Foxtel Cup. Shame then that nobody other than novelty interstate sides actually care about the Foxtel Cup - can it and get back to your core business which is being a glorified reserves competition.

In the 1950's the VFL was the main competition (12 teams, 6 games each Saturday in Melbourne) and each VFL team had Seniors, Reserves and under 19 sides. There are now only 10 left, now called the AFL. Thge minor competition was the VFA (Victorian Football Association) who played 16 a side (no wingers).

But I can see what you are calling for.

Yes I know. I went thru it weeks ago. And I looked at the main sides that were still in it in more recent decades. I found 8 that I think would make strong competitive clubs.

Sorry if I didn't word it well.

I have traditionally been a fairly big fan of the VFL / AFL alliances, but the VFL competition has been an absolute joke this year.

I understand that the VFL want the competition to run on its own merits and under its own steam, but to have four byes in a 22 round fixture, plus a break for the state game is unacceptable. For some teams, that has meant five weeks off in the space of about three months.

As for the Foxtel Cup, is it only stand alone teams that qualify, or is it possible that Casey could play next year if it wins the premiership? Are our players eligible to play? Does this mean we could have players returning from injury flying around the country playing in a joke competition?

If Melbourne is serious about developing its young players and assisting the returns from injury of senior players, it needs to field a team (either aligned or stand alone) in a competition which allows our players to play regularly.

• Like 1

As for the Foxtel Cup, is it only stand alone teams that qualify, or is it possible that Casey could play next year if it wins the premiership? Are our players eligible to play? Does this mean we could have players returning from injury flying around the country playing in a joke competition?

They can all play in the F. Cup. I know a guy who was given a Bulldogs' player's medal after Williamstown won it because the player had no interest.

I'm actually starting to think the VFL has run its course with affiliation to the AFL. I feel a reserves competition is the only true way to have an equitable competition, and this farce that is the foxtel cup is causing way too many byes. Also if you have an extended it could create an opportunity to upgrade reserve players to the senior list for individual games if needs be.

The AFL would need to help with getting it set up but having situations where players returning from injuries only to have a bye in the completion their meant to come through is clearly not right.

After the AFL sold its broadcast rights package for $1.25 Billion it was then clear as day that the VFL affiliate system has run its course.

The AFL should fund the reserve comp fully in order to protect its players.

I don't disagree with this, but there are big issues that the AFL has to consider. Firstly, all the state based leagues, they have strong history and with out the WAFL and SANFL, the AFL as it is today would never of happened. If we had a AFL reserves comp it would distroy all state based leagues, you would have State under 18's comps but your state leagues would not survive. The West Aussie and SA teams would dominate, they will get the best of the rest from there states to top up their teams. No matter how many players you have on the AFL list you will always need top up players. The venues, will the current venues be able to cope with double the games.

There would be nothing better than going to the MCG at 11.30 on a Saturday to watch your reserves and league teams play, but I think this is a very long way off.

I don't disagree with this, but there are big issues that the AFL has to consider. Firstly, all the state based leagues, they have strong history and with out the WAFL and SANFL, the AFL as it is today would never of happened. If we had a AFL reserves comp it would distroy all state based leagues, you would have State under 18's comps but your state leagues would not survive. The West Aussie and SA teams would dominate, they will get the best of the rest from there states to top up their teams. No matter how many players you have on the AFL list you will always need top up players. The venues, will the current venues be able to cope with double the games.

There would be nothing better than going to the MCG at 11.30 on a Saturday to watch your reserves and league teams play, but I think this is a very long way off.

The VFA survived for years alongside its big brother. I am sure it can again.

An AFL reserves comp will return

The VFA survived for years alongside its big brother. I am sure it can again.

An AFL reserves comp will return

There is only one way it will return and it depends on three clubs and none are Victorian. The two West Aussie teams have tried to get there own teams in the WAFL, which have been knocked back, if Freo and West Coast along with Adelaide put the heat on the AFL for this there is a slim chance this will happen.

The most logical thing to do is have all non-Victorian teams field a side in their local competitions - like Sydney, GC, GWS and Brisbane do now. It would mean a Freo and a West Coast side in the WAFL and an Adelaide and Power (there'd be issues calling them "Port!") team in the SANFL. For Victoria, have a stand-alone competition; 10 teams is more than enough to run a viable competition (and it's an even number - no byes!). This solves all the problems addressed, and in my 30 seconds of thinking of this I can't think of any new ones it creates other than costs.

• Like 1