Changes for next week

DeeZee

Need Martin back asap?

Backward step.

He would be a dreadful in.

You cannot possibly think that Seller is a better option then Martin?

He was easily our worst yesterday, Hasn't taken a mark for two weeks and rarely even made a contest against the cats. His lack of competitiveness in the forward line turned into a few cats goals.

Martin has the ability but does occasionally have brain fades.

But i think he is still injured so perhaps with could give Fitzpatrick a shot at AFL level.

You cannot possibly think that Seller is a better option then Martin?

He was easily our worst yesterday, Hasn't taken a mark for two weeks and rarely even made a contest against the cats. His lack of competitiveness in the forward line turned into a few cats goals.

Martin has the ability but does occasionally have brain fades.

But i think he is still injured so perhaps with could give Fitzpatrick a shot at AFL level.

Hear what you're saying, but I haven't seen the ability after so many years on the list.

He will never fit into Neeld's game plan.

The discipline, the shepherding, the skills, the hardness.....trade or delist at year's end.

Sellar has been terrible and I'm not sure about the boy - but....having just watched yesterday's game again, delivery to him was rubbish. The ball was delivered on top of his head and he was surrounded by 2 or 3 defenders.

Keep Sellar in the team ahead of Martin. Sellar won't win anywhere near as much of the ball but seems to be a harder body and not as much of a liability and I think he's been half decent and provided a contest. Martin isn't good enough to fit into our defensive or forward structures and he would demand more time in the ruck which isn't good for Jamar because I think have Sellar in the team gives Jamar 80-90% ruck time whereas Martin would only give him 60-70%. Jamar has a good engine and can easily out tap his opponents

Hear what you're saying, but I haven't seen the ability after so many years on the list.

He will never fit into Neeld's game plan.

The discipline, the shepherding, the skills, the hardness.....trade or delist at year's end.

Sellar has been terrible and I'm not sure about the boy - but....having just watched yesterday's game again, delivery to him was rubbish. The ball was delivered on top of his head and he was surrounded by 2 or 3 defenders.

Sellar's main problem at the moment.... I just don't see the potential. What's his weapon? Doesn't seem to break free of a man on a lead, can't take a big grab and can't do anything when the ball hits the deck. When he goes into the ruck he's just having a jump and a run around, not much different to putting Brad Miller in there as we tried a couple of times.

I understand he was recruited to be trialled as a backman and at the moment is just doing his best as a big body and I'm not bitter with him, but it's not impressive. I hope Fitzpatrick can make a go of it and I'd like to see Martin dominate the VFL as a big man before he comes back as well. But I'd really like to see Sellar down back because he might show potential. Another option is leave him back up rucking for a week or so as a defender (not a likely long term arrangement but worth a short term trial) and in the meantime play Tom McDonald - someone who has shown an ability to run and mark the footy as a forward.

It makes so much sense they'll never buy it.

Sellar's main problem at the moment.... I just don't see the potential. What's his weapon? Doesn't seem to break free of a man on a lead, can't take a big grab and can't do anything when the ball hits the deck. When he goes into the ruck he's just having a jump and a run around, not much different to putting Brad Miller in there as we tried a couple of times.

I understand he was recruited to be trialled as a backman and at the moment is just doing his best as a big body and I'm not bitter with him, but it's not impressive. I hope Fitzpatrick can make a go of it and I'd like to see Martin dominate the VFL as a big man before he comes back as well. But I'd really like to see Sellar down back because he might show potential. Another option is leave him back up rucking for a week or so as a defender (not a likely long term arrangement but worth a short term trial) and in the meantime play Tom McDonald - someone who has shown an ability to run and mark the footy as a forward.

It makes so much sense they'll never buy it.

He's a lovely long kick....I know, I know, he can't get his hands on it.

I suppose I'm coming from watching the NAB Cup and he kicked that beauty from 50m out with a wet ball.

I'm clutching at straws, aren't I?

He is simply not putting in, is very slow and often well off the play... he needs to be sent to Casey to find form, just like anyone else in his position.

Totally agree- hasn't been up to it all year.Garland is another that may need to strip for Casey as well.Sellar doesn't cut it, Martin to Come in if fit,if not- Fitz, Couch deserves a crack as well.

Edited by jayceebee31

In no way should Martin come straight back in he is not that good of player to have 3 weeks off and play straight away.

What are the Hawks weakness, back line and tall backs, my line up

Davey Clark Fitzpatrick

Dunn Watts Howe

Sylvia Jones Grimes

Bennell Rivers Garland

Bartram Frawley McDonald

Jamar Moloney McKenzie

Magner, Trengove, Morton

Bate

In Fitzpatrick, Watts, Bennell

Out Bail, Sellar, Tapscott

The Outs

Bail is being played the second small forward, to lay 1 tackle and offer little needs to go back

Sellar spud, go back with the initial plan to play him down back

Tapscott something going on here, I thought he was good on Saturday but subbed off didn't look to happy

The Ins

Fitzpatrick rucked well in preseason and on all accounts is playing good footy at Casey

Watts Lucky return more about Hawthorns backline they can cover midsize players but we can stretch them with Clark, Watts and the resting ruckman

Bennell he has been good at Casey we need some leg speed of half back

Totally agree- hasn't been up to it all year.Garland is another that may need to strip for Casey as well.Sellar doesn't cut it, Martin to Come in if fit,if not- Fitz, Couch deserves a crack as well.

Garland was one of our best against Geelong and has been building a solid string of games. Cannot agree with that assessment at all.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1

Garland was one of our best against Geelong and has been building a solid string of games. Cannot agree with that assessment at all.

He was very good against St Kilda also. Cant see him going to Casey.

Out: Sellar, Tapscott.

In: Fitz/ Watts, Bennell.

Sellar played poorly on the weekend and did not do much in the wet against St Kilda (not a big man's day). I actually think Sellar has a good pair of hands and can take a contested mark. He is also a lovely kick of a football (when he gets it!). I can see why he struggled to hold a game at Adelaide. However touting Martin to take his spot atm is not the answer. If anything Martin just was not holding his marks and was not having much impact in the centre.

Bennell gets chosen on form and leg speed. Hawks have wonderful inside mids in Mitchell, Sewell, Hodge and Lewis but not leg speed on the spread. Bennell's speed might test that.

They won't pick Watts, one tackle won't do it. Jurrah won't come back, not when you have the player himself saying he needs more time at Casey.

Bennell definitely will be selected, he showed the kind of intensity the last couple Neeld is looking for. Besides we will need his run to have hope of covering the Hawk's spread.I wonder if Couch will be elevated off the rookie list and selected as he was again among Casey's best this week, in a game that was pretty willing by the sound of it.

Sellar to be dropped (never to return in my book, i'd rather Juice in). Do we need another big man to replace him? Probably but perhaps Jamar could go one out with a chop out from Mitch. Tapscott to get dropped. Agin they need runners and even though Bail played poorly on the weekend Tappy was not that much better and offers little run (suddenly we are a team of plodders, Gys out is a bummer, what's the stroy with Blease?)

Fact is - we will be giving underpeforming players struggling to adapt to the new gameplan about 12-14 spots this week, as we have all year.

I would like to see Couch, and if Bennell can save his career then we should give him the chance - perhaps not this week. Dunn and Bate to keep their spots for this reason too.

Can't wait to see Jurrah back soon.

They won't pick Watts, one tackle won't do it. Jurrah won't come back, not when you have the player himself saying he needs more time at Casey.

Bennell definitely will be selected, he showed the kind of intensity the last couple Neeld is looking for. Besides we will need his run to have hope of covering the Hawk's spread.I wonder if Couch will be elevated off the rookie list and selected as he was again among Casey's best this week, in a game that was pretty willing by the sound of it.

Sellar to be dropped (never to return in my book, i'd rather Juice in). Do we need another big man to replace him? Probably but perhaps Jamar could go one out with a chop out from Mitch. Tapscott to get dropped. Agin they need runners and even though Bail played poorly on the weekend Tappy was not that much better and offers little run (suddenly we are a team of plodders, Gys out is a bummer, what's the stroy with Blease?)

Binman, can I get this right Watts doesn't get a recall based on laying 1 tackle even knowing he had it 20 times and kicked 4 goals, but we keep Bail in that played as that pressure small forward and layed 1 tackle kicked no goals and had it 7 or 8 times.

Jurrah won't come back, not when you have the player himself saying he needs more time at Casey.

That's actually an interesting situation, because I'm sure I read something quoting Neeld as saying there was a possibility Jurrah may be called up for the Hawks game. Not sure if a player's self-assessment trumps that of his coach, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

Some of us on demonland have memories like a goldfish.

Fitz is not the answer, every time he plays for the rednblue he looks terrible and we all call for him to never play again. He is not up to scratch at all (yet).

If Martin is not right to go, I would pinch hit Dunn in the ruck. The hawks don't have incredible rucks at the moment and Dunn could hurt them around the ground.

Sylvia needs to stay, most dangerous player and needs to find form with us.

For me:

Outs: Sellar, Bate

Ins: Watts, Petterd/Jurrah

Lineup:

FB: Garland - Frawley (Buddy) - Bartram (Rioli)

HB: Rivers - MacDonald (Rough/Hale) - Tapscott

C: Jones - Trengove (Sewell) - Morton

HF: Sylvia - Watts - Howe

FF: Davey - Clark - Petterd/Jurrah

R: Jamar - Moloney - McKenzie (Mitchell)

I: Dunn (ruck/forward) - Bail - Grimes

S: Magner

Im frustrated with ol Jacky Boy. Ive been one amongst some here who really believe in this kid. I still do but theres ome invisibnle wal between where he is and where he needs to be.. Quite frankly its annoying to behold and can ony hopew he is is MORE annoyed by where he finds himself.

He really needs to be educated as to the concept of 'hunger'...and real offensive pressure.

He'll get there ( me hopes)

For a time last year, I was impressed. But I am not sure he's going to make it...

I think he's a little like a cricketer fielding in first slip who's not up to it - they tend to cringe back when the ball comes fast, not go to ball. I've seen Jack do something similar at the base of a marking contest - and other times he goes and takes a great mark (early in the Hawks game last year).

Hell I hope he makes it - won't be Jonathan Brown, but he could be Royce Hart.

Well, no he couldn't, but you know what I mean...

Taken from the Age article on the Casey game.

Watts' last goal came from a clever one-handed grab while holding off his opponent. The athletic forward laid one tackle, and Casey coach Brett Lovett did not know whether it would be enough to earn a quick recall.

Read more: http://www.theage.co...l#ixzz1u3PAlor7

I will be disappointed if he regains his spot based on that.

Neeld would have driven that imo.

I don't think Watts will play AFL this week tbh.

Every time? He's only played once. :huh:

Haha! Well, with some of the footy brains on here, zero tolerance is the only way to go (one strike and you're out!).. fortunately for the likes of Jamar, Jones and numerous others, the club doesn't take the same approach.

Fitz is not the answer, every time he plays for the rednblue he looks terrible and we all call for him to never play again. He is not up to scratch at all (yet).

If Martin is not right to go, I would pinch hit Dunn in the ruck. The hawks don't have incredible rucks at the moment and Dunn could hurt them around the ground.

Are you including yourself in that fishbowl?

As pointed out Fitz has played once and did so when the team got beaten by any ordinary side interstate. Fortunately there are wiser and more patient heads in the FD.

How can Dunn hurt them around the ground when he does not get the ball and will concede the centre bounce?

Its also a worry when Sylvia is our most dangerous player yet does not fire a shot. At least he has potential.....

haha good point. I thought I had seen him in a few more times then that, maybe NAB matches?

Still, have seen enough of him at casey/training to know he is not the answer. If you can't kick and hold basic marks, then you can't play.

Dunn for one will be rucking against Hale and Roughead? Hardly dominate ruckman in their field and will only be doing maybe 20%. Better then whatever Sellar/Fitz brings to the table.

So you are all telling me that Syliva is better in the 2s? What is he going to do there? Get confidence? What a load of [censored]. He will find his feet in the AFL, where, one he can hit a target (moreso then most of our players) and also take a good defender. We desperately need polish, and Syliva has it in spades and will provide it sooner rather then later. Hawks bully us every time we play them, and dropping one of our best built mid/forwards for a bennell or something.. you have got to be kidding me.

haha good point. I thought I had seen him in a few more times then that, maybe NAB matches?

Still, have seen enough of him at casey/training to know he is not the answer. If you can't kick and hold basic marks, then you can't play.

Dunn for one will be rucking against Hale and Roughead? Hardly dominate ruckman in their field and will only be doing maybe 20%. Better then whatever Sellar/Fitz brings to the table.

So you are all telling me that Syliva is better in the 2s? What is he going to do there? Get confidence? What a load of [censored]. He will find his feet in the AFL, where, one he can hit a target (moreso then most of our players) and also take a good defender. We desperately need polish, and Syliva has it in spades and will provide it sooner rather then later. Hawks bully us every time we play them, and dropping one of our best built mid/forwards for a bennell or something.. you have got to be kidding me.

Fitzpatrick kick 4 goals and was named in casey's best. All supporters want players who perform in the 2's to just be given a go As Casey has two byes in a row(stupid fixturing) I think he would be a good replacment for Sellars. What would it hurt ???? Edited by Bossdog

Have you seen any Casey games this year? Did you go on Saturday? I'm assuming the answer is no on both points. From his

performance on Saturday, he's quantum leaps ahead of where he was at the Adelaide Oval last year. He attacked the contest,

took front position for marking contests, and was also able to be first to the ball once it hit the ground. I didnt go the last couple

of weeks but judging by the best in those games this match wasnt a one off, and that he's tracking along a nice gradual improvement curve.

Fitzpatrick kick 4 goals and was named in casey's best. All supporters want players who perform in the 2's to just be given a go As Casey has two byes in a row(stupid fixturing) I think he would be a good replacment for Sellars. What would it hurt ????

Yes, and let's also not forget that the Geelong VFL side is just two places below Casey on the VFL ladder, but with a higher percentage. It's not as if he kicked 4 goals against a team of no-hopers.

For me:

Outs: Sellar, Bate

Ins: Watts, Petterd/Jurrah

Lineup:

FB: Garland - Frawley (Buddy) - Bartram (Rioli)

HB: Rivers - MacDonald (Rough/Hale) - Tapscott

C: Jones - Trengove (Sewell) - Morton

HF: Sylvia - Watts - Howe

FF: Davey - Clark - Petterd/Jurrah

R: Jamar - Moloney - McKenzie (Mitchell)

I: Dunn (ruck/forward) - Bail - Grimes

S: Magner

I love reading some of the posts for the changes, occassionally they are a good laugh,

"Fitz is not the answer, every time he plays for the rednblue he looks terrible"

Do you mean the 1 game he has played?

As for Petterd, he is not playing that brilliantly for Casey, that is the proviso for getting a game methinks, although I think in the Couch case, they have him working on a few things before elevation,

The only change I can see is either Martin/Fitzy for Sellar, if you watch Neeldy at the press conference post game, he praised Magner for trying to nullify Scarlett in the second half, listen to the words he uses, don't think he thought Sellar was providing that in the first half so he may go.