Explanations for disaster

btdemon

Like everyone else here I have experienced the bleakest time (football wise), in the last few days. Like most melbourne supporters I am so used to disappointment and sub-par performance that I could see another disastrous season ahead and bemoan our inability to draft the best players. It's important to keep it in perspective. We support a club that has had a traumatic decade. Tragedy, near bankruptcy, a divided board and administration, two dramatic coach sackings, and a player awaiting the results of a court hearing.

This has culminated in the passing and funeral of it's shining light and saviour in the last week. To think that this would not have an impact on the performance this week is unrealistic.

I would also say that looking at the recent culture of the cub in the last decade it has displayed ridiculously inconsistent form, and dare I say it, a soft mental attitude. there is evidence that the players have thought that they were better than they are. The culture needed to be turned around. I like many, am not sure whether Neeld's hard-arsed approach will turn achieve it or kill the spirit of the players but I have to hope we are on the right track.

I have read much of the wailing and gnashing of teeth on this site and admit that I also indulge in it. We Demon supporters are now so reactive and willing to see a catastrophy at every turn. If we bury ourselves in this site and whip each other into a negative frenzy it can have a multiplying effect and be very bad for our mental health.

These articles may help explain what happened on Saturday and what is happening at the club.

http://www.heraldsun...q-1226315845268

http://www.theage.co...0401-1w6nl.html

http://www.theage.co...0331-1w5ii.html

http://www.theage.co...0331-1w5cs.html

http://www.theage.co...0401-1w6jc.html

http://www.theage.co...0331-1w5kr.html

http://www.heraldsun...f-1226315687415

As much as the coach and the players say that Jimmy's passing was no excuse, its obvious that it had an enormous impact on the preparation and the performance. Malthouse's comments were very revealing. It shows how important the control of the emotional energy levels is when leading into a game.

What I saw after half time on Saturday was a tired team who couldn't respond with any team cohesion. We saw players who are normally smart, like Frawley, do dumb stuff. Jamar had a rough day and his taps went to Lions players a lot of the time. Our mids were pushed around and outsmarted. Players who couldn't do anything constructive to turn things around. Along with us, they watched the train-wreck happen in front of them. I trust that there will be accountability at the selection table and Neeld's comments suggest this. Davey is completely bereft of confidence and zip. We know that he doesn't like the physical contest. That has never been his value, but he is obviously injured and does not know what to do. He need to get himself right and fight his way back into the team.

The boundary hugging, long-bombing game looked particularly bad as players lacked the confidence and energy to convert it any sort of smart creative attack. Jade Rawlings commented on this so hopefully the game-plan is not to play the boundary like robots and then bomb it in to the dead pocket.

I would like to think that Saturday's performance was due to the recent trauma and the adjustment to a new approach. I believe (hope) that our effort will improve next week and that we will "trend upwards" as the year progresses.

Edited by btdemon
  • Like 1

To me, the memory of Stynes was never about winning a game of footy, but shaping the mindset of a young group of footballers into the future.

They can show their spirit for the memory of Jimmy in 2014 when they are challenging for the top 4 and have lost a couple games and they have to fight to get anywhere.

That's when they can show their appreciation for the legend of the club and community they had a chance to know well.

• Like 1

To me, the memory of Stynes was never about winning a game of footy, but shaping the mindset of a young group of footballers into the future.

They can show their spirit for the memory of Jimmy in 2014 when they are challenging for the top 4 and have lost a couple games and they have to fight to get anywhere.

That's when they can show their appreciation for the legend of the club and community they had a chance to know well.

I agree.

I agree with the sentiments (and I think Leigh Matthews mentioned something similar) but I suspect a lot of people also don't think that we should be giving the team an excuse either. It was a dismal first up effort and after hearing how they have put so many more km's into their legs over the preseason, it seems inexplicable that they just stopped after a half of football.

It is just one game, and as RocknRoll says, lets see what they do from here on in. I am sure that they will be competitive this week, but I recall this happened last year, we had a rollercoaster ride of win, loss, win, loss....

Guest oldman emubitter

i reckon brad green should shut his mouth, pull his head in and go sit in a dark corner, as he professes.

fluffing his nest for a career in the media

I like to add, it is not how you fall but it is how you get back up again. The next couple of weeks will be a good character assessment of a few of our boys.

I agree, but I think we should brace ourselves for a 100+ point drumming this week.

I'm not saying that out of anger, just merely based on form. The second-half on Saturday was Geelong-186-esque. That game was of the utmost importance, and it shows just how far behind the 8-ball we are. I think we've taken a step back to take a step forward, but we did that last year as well...

Ah, the perils of being a Melbourne supporter.

• Like 2

I think that some mistakes were made in terms of not shielding the players from the situation as Malthouse has noted. In retrospect, I think it was the wrong choice to have exposed the players to the media on the day of Jim passing and even in the days that followed. Mitch Clark's public breakdown should have sent alarm bells to the administration that the players should not have been put in front the media on that day. Especially given that it was such as new leadership group and two young captains. It was just too much to ask of them and at the time I really felt for them because its a responsibility they probably weren't prepared for (although they did pretty well all things considered). I note that Neeld kept a very low profile at the time, which I thought was appropriate given he had only recently joined the club. Perhaps he should have fought harder protect the players as well, but I reckon he would have decided to concede to the wishes of the club administration in the case rather that trying to get his own way. But who knows?

However, I think we have to accept that the build up to the game was a very unique situation for the players, coaches and the club. I think Neeld must accept some responsibility for this, but given he is so new to the club he wouldn't know the players well enough to be able to know how best to handle such a situation so I willing to let this one slide.

Edited by Ascobar

It's often said that the game is "played between the ears" which is usually nonsense, otherwise Stephen Hawking would be playing at CHF. However, I don't think we can assume that the passing of Jim Stynes has not had a significant affect on the players, particularly the older players who had more time - purely because they've been on the list longer - to be associated with him. I was at the ground on Saturday and was moved by the minute applause. How would it have felt for the players down on the ground, particularly following on from all that had occurred in the previous 11 days? Imagine what it must have been like at the club during that time. And every time someone you know wanted to talk to you about what the impact had been. It must have been extraordinarily psychologically tiring.

So, just maybe the first game of the year will be an abberation. How we respond this week will be far more interesting than how we played in the weekend just passed.

• Like 1

I think that some mistakes were made in terms of not shielding the players from the situation as Malthouse has noted. In retrospect, I think it was the wrong choice to have exposed the players to the media on the day of Jim passing and even in the days that followed. Mitch Clark's public breakdown should have sent alarm bells to the administration that the players should not have been put in front the media on that day. Especially given that it was such as new leadership group and two young captains. It was just too much to ask of them and at the time I really felt for them because its a responsibility they probably weren't prepared for (although they did pretty well all things considered). I note that Neeld kept a very low profile at the time, which I thought was appropriate given he had only recently joined the club. Perhaps he should have fought harder protect the players as well, but I reckon he would have decided to concede to the wishes of the club administration in the case rather that trying to get his own way. But who knows?

However, I think we have to accept that the build up to the game was a very unique situation for the players, coaches and the club. I think Neeld must accept some responsibility for this, but given he is so new to the club he wouldn't know the players well enough to be able to know how best to handle such a situation so I willing to let this one slide.

Maybe, just maybe, in the context of Jimmy's death, it was more important for the club to feel it and acknowledge it properly, and possibly lose as a consequence than shield the players. In the History of the club and minds of everyone involved, the loss will pale into insignificance compared to what they learn from it. It is about where we go from here that will be important.

• Like 1

Maybe, just maybe, in the context of Jimmy's death, it was more important for the club to feel it and acknowledge it properly, and possibly lose as a consequence than shield the players. In the History of the club and minds of everyone involved, the loss will pale into insignificance compared to what they learn from it. It is about where we go from here that will be important.

I think that is also a fair point. In the short term, it might be considered a bad move, but longer term, perhaps it was necessary to get it out. However, I think this could still have been done behind closed doors rather than in the media.

It's often said that the game is "played between the ears" which is usually nonsense, otherwise Stephen Hawking would be playing at CHF.

Is he available?

• Like 1

Stop trying to wrap the players up in cotton wool and dish out excuses!! Jimmy's passing was A BIG deal and the public wanted answers. We have a leadership group in place to deal with such enquries. Hurting or not it was their responsibility to represent the club and answer the media's questions in order to shed some light to the general public that also loved Jimmy.

Thanks all for your contributions.

Some serious stuff and some relief

I still wait with trepidition for the reaction

Please Please PLEASE some improvement in effort.

Stop trying to wrap the players up in cotton wool and dish out excuses!! Jimmy's passing was A BIG deal and the public wanted answers. We have a leadership group in place to deal with such enquries. Hurting or not it was their responsibility to represent the club and answer the media's questions in order to shed some light to the general public that also loved Jimmy.

As far as I'm concerned, yes the responsibility of the leadership group is to represent the club and front the media, but that should primarily be in regards to all things football which is their job. They are not paid to provide commentary on the impact of the death of a former player, I don't see how that is part of their position description.

The Jimmy factor is a fairly legitimate reason for the flatness of the guys who knew him best .I was furious myself but a funeral never lifts anyone.

I think we have to try and cut the players some slack and get behind them this week .I've blown off a fair bit of steam also but it's time to focus on next week now.

We found Magner and we won contested possessions so that is something .

We had no outside receivers which is something else.

Looks like Bennell,Morton and Dunn will be in the team .

A funeral never pumps you up and the circle before the game was enough already .Stay in the media box Garry .

As for round 4 being a "Stynes" round -enough sentimental bollocks .

We all loved him but lets go forward .

• Like 1

I agree, but I think we should brace ourselves for a 100+ point drumming this week.

I'm not saying that out of anger, just merely based on form. The second-half on Saturday was Geelong-186-esque. That game was of the utmost importance, and it shows just how far behind the 8-ball we are. I think we've taken a step back to take a step forward, but we did that last year as well...

Ah, the perils of being a Melbourne supporter.

FWIW I tink we will get a shellacking next week and possibly a couple more this season, but we won't play as badly as we did in the 2nd half on Saturday again.

haven't watched the game and will not for fear of losing all hope but from what I've read and heard, our ridiculous boundary hugging game left the other side of the ground wide open for the opposition to rebound, run and spread and score heavily. This tactic if employed in similar fashion this week will play right into the Eagles hands (and probably every single other club for that matter). I hope Neeld shows a bit of creative spark in the box and doesn't [censored] a dead horse. Teaching a gameplan is one thing but getting belted by record margins week in week out will break the spirit of the playing group and us supporters (would be sponsors). I have vivid memories of last year's game at Subi when we basically played a similar plan of kicking long to packs down the boundary and leaving the fat side of the ground wide open and they crucified us on the counter attack, at times going end to end and essentially walking the ball over the goal line without a melbourne player within 20 m of them the entire way. It was really embarrassing.

Will be a really interesting game this one.

Edited by leucopogon

I do think the Jimmy factor contributed to our 2nd half fade out, and like many others here agree that it would have impacted the whole club profoundly. For that reason, I don't think it will be something they get over after one week. It's going to take time for us all to grieve properly and for the players to get their heads in the right place to compete. I kept thinking back to our spirited performance after Broady passed away in the off season and comparing it to our game last week, but the team had months to gee themselves up for that one. While that was a tragic accident and not really the same as the insidious decline that Jim went through, many of our blokes must still be in shock about Jim. I really can't see a win in the first 11 rounds. I think we might have to wait for GWS for our first this year.

haven't watched the game and will not for fear of losing all hope but from what I've read and heard, our ridiculous boundary hugging game left the other side of the ground wide open for the opposition to rebound, run and spread and score heavily. This tactic if employed in similar fashion this week will play right into the Eagles hands (and probably every single other club for that matter). I hope Neeld shows a bit of creative spark in the box and doesn't [censored] a dead horse. Teaching a gameplan is one thing but getting belted by record margins week in week out will break the spirit of the playing group and us supporters (would be sponsors). I have vivid memories of last year's game at Subi when we basically played a similar plan of kicking long to packs down the boundary and leaving the fat side of the ground wide open and they crucified us on the counter attack, at times going end to end and essentially walking the ball over the goal line without a melbourne player within 20 m of them the entire way. It was really embarrassing.

Will be a really interesting game this one.

leucopogon you can't have it both ways

watch the game and then comment on it

or

don't watch the game and don't comment on it

It's ok for Malthouse and co. to come out and talk about the emotional impact of Jimmy's passing and funeral, also forgotten in this is the impact of Liam Jarrah on the players. The coach could not use these excuses, Melbourne has made too many excuses for way too long and even if Neeld felt there was a problem he could not use it.

I don't think the club could have handled the last couple of weeks events any better, they were on a hiding to nothing. They had to roll the players out for interviews otherwise the media would have hunted them down (players that is), best to get it out of the way as a group with the leaders giving interviews in one hit at the G. Some commentators have said the blazers and the line up of players outside the church was over the top but I think it would have been a disgrace if we hadn't shown respect to Jimmy in this way. The game was a total let down, this is the only thing that the club got wrong. The other stuff is media commentators with too much time on their hands and too much space to fill drumming up headlines and letting us know how good they are, never made a mistake in their lives.

leucopogon you can't have it both ways

watch the game and then comment on it

or

don't watch the game and don't comment on it

I havent read your post but I heard others talking about it and I am not really sure I liked what I heard

FWIW I tink we will get a shellacking next week and possibly a couple more this season, but we won't play as badly as we did in the 2nd half on Saturday again.

Because?

I have refrained from posting on here after the weekend because like so many I was completely gutted by what I saw. We've all seen bad loses (we saw the worst of the worst at KP last year) but some how this just left us with a really empty feeling.

But much of what is in this thread is true, I sort of wondered whether some of the players had played the game in their head before Saturday (something that was pointed to Pre GWS v Swans that the young players had to prevent). None of this excuses the extremely lackluster second half from the boys, but it points to what Trenners and Grimes said that they will honour Jimmy by getting the club to where it belongs long term.

This week reminds me of 2010, in round one we got monstered by a Hawks team that was heading onwards and upwards, and everyone was contemplating the margin against the pies in round 2 with many predicting 80+. We came out the following week and took them right to the final second, and arguably deserved to win. I'm not saying that I expect that to happen, but I hope the players get their heads right and decide to show some effing fight. The great thing about football at this time of year is that every week has an opportunity for redemption.