• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Watts given a kick up the ...

Satan

He isnt bagging anyone. he is just saying what all people are thinking. There were situations in games last year where watts did lazy things. Im a watts fans and know he will make it but he isnt a new recruit anymore. He is there to get them to perform not molly coddle them. Jack and the others know they have to perform this year.

reading the age article I just like how Neelds message to Sylvia was short and sharp. Im glad he told him he had no interest dealing with players who drink the night before a training sessions and said you arent playing round 1 then said to the rest of the group I dont know you so show us your actions and put your head down and i dont want to hear promises. I reckon Colin walked out of that meeting thinking I better not stuff uo again.

I like it how he has come out and named names. Of course Davey and Morton need to have a better year. The whole team knows how bad 2011 was. Guess what peoples we have a tough coach now.

It's a bit more conversationalist over here. They'll sit," he says. "There's a bit more short, sharpness down the road. "Down here, it is, 'What do you feel about that?', 'What would the impact of that be?' and, 'How's that going to make him feel or her feel?'

If any club needs to be changed and any club that needs players to be challenged it's the MFC. Or we could have more of the status quo ? That's done wonders over the decades.

The point of my post was not to debate the obvious a need for change BH... if you read it you'll see that.

Is it important to bring the playing list along through the change? I think so.

Is the method right? Who knows.

Who is accountable? Neeld

Pretty simple

Some supporters have indeed referred to him making "bold" statements. There's definitely an under-current that he's being "bold". As I said, I don't agree.

I'm absolutely certain that the coaches you've mentioned have publicly been frank about individuals over their coaching journey, even though examples may not readily come to mind. I wouldn't equate Blight's comments with anything Neeld said, so I don't see the need for the analogy. I also don't believe that Neeld has made any remarks that are in anyway concerning about any individual. If anything he could be accused of stating the obvious.

This is true and my first reaction to the articles (and all his comments since being appointed) is "hell yes, finally someone who is saying what needs to be said". I never want to be embarrassed as a supporter of this club like I was in the wake of the Carlton game this year.

I can see the argument though that singling out players in the media may not be the best way to go about it. However as I said before hopefully this will be the "culture shock" we've needed since Northey left and the players will either HTFU or GTFO.

EDIT: As an afterthought, this is a club that seems to have "needed" this sort of no-nonsense coach from outside the MFC/MCC conservative culture to shake the place up and show them what is required to achieve success. This isn't an old-school gentleman's club where just showing up and having a run around the park is enough, this is a professional no-holds-barred league and the purpose is success, not competitiveness. Our successful coaches (Checker, Smith and Northey even though he fell short of the ultimate success) were old school, tell it like it is hard-arses. I agree there's too much molly-coddling in this club. Hopefully Neeld will prove to be another outsider who comes from the blue-collar cross-town rival to show us the la-la land we've been in and can shake the place up and lead the club to success.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

I think some people should re-read the article again, the Headline is written by the sub editor (of course they have to make something big about it) but it does not put down Watts at all, it in facts, tells him and us what it needs to become an elite footballer.

Yep. Simply told him the truth. 1. Where he thought he was at. 2. Set him a challenge 3. Is giving him/directing him to the resouces that can assist him.

No kick up the backside, just a direct challenge to a promising sportsperson to take it to the next level. Neeld knows that if Watts and Jurrah take it to the next rung supported by Clark who we know can play, then we will be quite competitive.

My qualm is that every quote seems to be publicly humiliating someone. J Watts receives enough crap from the media as is it's the coaches job to advise behind close doors and than praise in the public arena. I think Neeld is going over the top to some degree to look like that hard nosed guy and I hope it's not to the detriment of being disliked by the players for his public bashings.

What makes you think that the content of these articles is some sort of 'player shame and humiliation' media exposé?

It's probably the Melbourne Football Club publicity machine at work, and all the information has been fed to the press with the player's knowledge or permission.

I didn't expect everyone to agree with me I was just posting that I thought he may be pushing it. Each to their own.

What I do like however is this paragraph here:

''What is my broader philosophy? I was told with the media training whatever you do don't make a big statement, and so the first thing I said was 'I wanted to coach the hardest team to play against', so I failed media training. I want to coach competitors, I want to have a competitive team. So does every coach, I am aware of that, and my role is to instil competitors in the player group and to back it up with selection.''

Appears Mark doesn't give a sh*t about following what he's meant to do. By this statement he's putting his neck on the chopping block and hoping his soldiers come to the party to save it. I love that he is risking himself and trusting that his troops will do the rest.

What makes you think that the content of these articles is some sort of 'player shame and humiliation' media exposé?

It's probably the Melbourne Football Club publicity machine at work, and all the information has been fed to the press with the player's knowledge or permission.

I was already replying so I missed this one but I'll explain my thoughts.

In the article "Lift your game,..." in the HS there are 4-6 paragraphs of Neeld stressing Watts needs to get over being on the Footy Show and doing Energy Watch commercials and get to know his training staff. Reading it became increasingly obvious that he was suggesting Watts' training ethic is not good enough. He than insinuates that '40 game players' shouldn't be doing all these commitments.

JW isn't a 40 game player. He's a 40 game player 1st pick.

Rohan Bail is a 40 game player was Neeld going to come out and say the same about him. Look probably not. Neeld has used big name targets to appear to be the big bag ogre coach. Everyone loves it so it seems to be doing something good around the club but I just hope he knows where to draw the line that's all.

I was already replying so I missed this one but I'll explain my thoughts.

In the article "Lift your game,..." in the HS there are 4-6 paragraphs of Neeld stressing Watts needs to get over being on the Footy Show and doing Energy Watch commercials and get to know his training staff. Reading it became increasingly obvious that he was suggesting Watts' training ethic is not good enough. He than insinuates that '40 game players' shouldn't be doing all these commitments.

JW isn't a 40 game player. He's a 40 game player 1st pick.

Rohan Bail is a 40 game player was Neeld going to come out and say the same about him. Look probably not. Neeld has used big name targets to appear to be the big bag ogre coach. Everyone loves it so it seems to be doing something good around the club but I just hope he knows where to draw the line that's all.

I have no doubt that Mark Neeld is an intelligent man, and will know where and when to "draw the line". What he has done is to set the agenda from the very beginning. The players will know where they stand, when 2012 begins. Neeld will not being going back to the "drawing board" after we lose a game by 30 plus goals. I love the focus and the straight line approach.

I suspect he knows who he can challenge publicly and who he can't. Some clubs go to Nevada, Utah or Kakoda. They do it as a group to "challenge" mindsets and physical capacity. As reported, we are staying at "home" so that the new coaching panel and the players can get to know each other, the administration, processes and systems. Our challenge begins here and I am liking what I am hearing and seeing. Great things come can out of adversity and challenge

Love this:

The instruction is not one that favours open and attack, shut down and hold, boundary line or corridor, long kicking or fast handball. It is a broader football philosophy that the game is predicated on earning the ball in every contest.

''Watch the grand final,'' Neeld said. ''There was not a player out there you would not describe as a competitor. There is no room for non-competitors on grand final day. Contested ball is king. The ability to make quick, correct decisions under pressure over and over and over again happens on grand final day.''

Which makes me wonder how many of Melbourne current lighter-bodied outside players, of which there are several (too many?), will make the cut under Neeld.

Everyone loves it so it seems to be doing something good around the club but I just hope he knows where to draw the line that's all.

Ask yourself how the same 'flavoured' stories appeared in both the Herald-Sun and The Age on the same day. They weren't "scoops".

Love this:

Which makes me wonder how many of Melbourne current lighter-bodied outside players, of which there are several (too many?), will make the cut under Neeld.

I've always wondered this. I wonder if Neeld would have agreed to re-sign Morton. I can't see him being able to stand up in finals.

I'm going to say it.

Over at GWS they have a guy with less than 50 games, and less than ten particularly good games, and a million dollar a year contract.

We have to avoid that mentality at all costs, or we will end up being a whole team of underachievers who think they have already done everything worth trying to do. And there's no question our players have had that feeling floating around in the back of their minds.

• Like 1

I really like Neeld's direct approach, and the way he is doing things his way. But naming certain players via a public forum is unwise, and I reckon out of all the players from 2011 who played at a consistently decent standard, 19 yo Jack Watts was one of them. I maybe in the minority here, but I feel like Neeld is grandstanding himself here. The emphasis of the article is not on Watts, Morton etc... It is on Neeld's uncompromising standards in regads to fitness, dedication etc... It is a poor effort to lower someone else's public persona in order to heighten your own. What he is saying about Watts and MOrton and Davey is probably true, but an interview with a journalist is not the place to discuss these matters and it will not make the three players respond to his message any better.

For mine, this is a poor effort from our new coach.

I don't get it. I've read all these comments that he's being harsh, or bold, and singling out players isn't good.

This has been our problem for too long. Letting things just go by as they are. Not holding our players accountable. Being ok with mediocrity.

Now we get a guy that's willing to challenge our group of players and challenge them publicly. Football is as much about skills as it is a mental game. If our players can't take some criticism well, how the hell are they going to handle it when they are in the heat of the battle with 100K fans screaming at them in a GF?

The mentality of wrapping players in cotton wool has to stop. Watts' can handle it. He's a natural sportman/athlete that has a much higher potential than most. Neeld has identified this and is going about his business to give him every chance to live up to that potential.

The higher the "elite" standards we set for our players, the better it is for them and the club.

• Like 2

I really like Neeld's direct approach, and the way he is doing things his way. But naming certain players via a public forum is unwise, and I reckon out of all the players from 2011 who played at a consistently decent standard, 19 yo Jack Watts was one of them. I maybe in the minority here, but I feel like Neeld is grandstanding himself here. The emphasis of the article is not on Watts, Morton etc... It is on Neeld's uncompromising standards in regads to fitness, dedication etc... It is a poor effort to lower someone else's public persona in order to heighten your own. What he is saying about Watts and MOrton and Davey is probably true, but an interview with a journalist is not the place to discuss these matters and it will not make the three players respond to his message any better.

For mine, this is a poor effort from our new coach.

No-one was happier than rpfc with the excellent work ethic and performance of Jack Watts in the middle of last season.

But the time for the coach to challenge him to be better is now. An amazing pre-season will allow him to not tail of the way he did last season, to build some strength so that he can have confidence against bigger bodies.

I was happy with him, but I want him to take the next step and Neeld has to move to make sure that we are not happy with half a season of solid displays.

As he said - clean slate. Whether you are the darling of the fans or someone who boozes before training.

• Like 2

Deemed inappropriate by whom? The posters on Demonland and Bigfooty?

Poor comment in a poor post. Neeld certainly deserves to be judged on his results, but for the moment, he can only be judged on how he's doing in the pre-season in regard to the players and the club. For the former, too early to say, but attracting Clark, Craig, Misson and the others onboard says something about his capabilities. Would Craig have come to the club if Bailey was still here?

When Bailey got sacked the media and public alike agreed that Melbourne should leave no stone unturned for a highly credentialed senior coach hence why we offered a contract to Clarkson. Although Gary Lyon denies it I believe we also tried to lure Ross Lyon, I would be disappointed if we didn't to be honest. All that Malthouse talk as well. The theory was that if Melbourne had a proven coach then we could really see how good the list is as the coaches ability couldnt be questioned. I'm not disappointed about Neeld's appointment but he is an untried coach who I hope is a success. Telling blokes that they shouldn't do media work to the media in an attempt to create more publicity about how uncomprimising he is seems a bit hypocritical does it not. It's okay to have that opinion but why express it to the media

When one thinks of Morton, Watts or Davey, they don't think of fierceness.

Who has he challenged? 3 guys who don't seem to have a "well screw you, i'm gonna show you up" demeanour. Maybe he is trying to develop a little more mongrel in all 3 or poke the bear and not stop until her gets a response.

Of course, you could say the same thing about Trengove, but he is a true competitor who loves it rough and physical, who wants to lead. The other 3, i'm not so sure. Particularly with Watts, as you can't have a KPF who worries if his opponent is a little hurt. He needs to develop a killer instinct (within the rules of course, let's not go Barry Hall style), one i think Neeld is trying to accelerate.

Love this:

The same question crossed my mind - history tells us there will be casualties . Hopefully not too many .

It's noticable that a few bigger names have been put on notice on by Neeld - This must have an effect on the whole group .

Our lesser lights must be thinking - "What does he think of me then ? " or " Where do I fit in ? "

Great ploy by Neeld I reckon because it should motivate all of the players .

Long felt that great players are either terrific self starters motivated by the fear of failure or a hunger for success . Also think many of them have had a "rocket" at some stage of their sporting lives .

Patting players on the back rarely works for the long term .

Edited by Nuggets