Training - Monday 31 October, 2011

Harcourt

WISH I HAD A FEW MORE RUNS DURING THE BREAK

Blease looked like he was going to spew after the first hundred meters. And was looking for the first tram out of there.

Gysbert was hiding in the talls group and looked like he had just played a match.

Jack Watts tried hard with the a list mid fields but started to look Out of his league after a few laps.

Aaron davey i'm too good to train I just jog laps, disappointing

I DIDN'T SPEND THE BREAK ON THE COUCH

Tom mac Donald

Matthew bate

Steph Martin

Jack viney

There were 3 running groups doing 400metre runs. They did about a dozen or so. From what I remember (and I may be missing names if someone wants to help fill in gaps) they were:

Jones, Bail, Watts, Bartram, Martin, Moloney, Bate (otherwise known as the 'Group of Death')

Joel Macdonald also in Group of Death - maybe a pointer to his and Bater's continuation.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gallery-e6frf9o6-1226181470236?page=2

I was there today and I must say Bate looks good, seems to have lost some bulk imo. Also i found it disgraceful to see Blease and Gysberts at the back of the pack, in fact Blease was years behind. Those two should be fitter than that, especially Gysberts, what the hell, he does always look dead in the games when coming to the bench though. Interesting to see Morton in the backline group, T Mac in the forward line along with Blease and Bate with the mids is interesting. I went home today with a few positives, however I am still very surprised that Grimes and Davey are still in rehab, Grimes especially, I thought he was almost a chance to play the final round or two. Evans has put on weight and looks a lot more bulkier, and the guy ran 10-15 laps straight at a reasonable pace. Gysberts, even though he is unfit, looks like he's had a few sandwiches as he looks much, much broader and bigger across the chest and arms. Today was merely a warm up, the next few sessions are the real deal from what I believe, get ready!

• Like 1

Who the hell is Maloney -- some new hopeful? We do have someone with a somewhat similar name who wears #22, but as he has been on our list for several years I am sure every true red and blue heart would know how to spell his name.

not me and i dont care

Joel Macdonald also in Group of Death - maybe a pointer to his and Bater's continuation.

http://www.heraldsun...81470236?page=2

Wish I hadn't flipped through the rest of those shots... rather unappetising shot of Shea McNamara (Pies) giving us a view of what he ate for breakfast.

The only excuse Gysberts and Blease can have is that they havnt played 20 games between them and would be lucky to have 1 preseason between them.

Even though they are expected to be runners now, being AFL level is high, and they have both been injured for significant periods during the last 12 months. Also Blease has a tendency to only run one way imo, which i thought was holding him back from AFL football for a long time, obviously lacks the required fitness.

This is what Pre-season is for isnt it!

• Like 1

Interesting to see that Mark said he will announce the leadship group and captain in march. Said the reality is he doeant know them yet. Interesting to see if he will sit down with Green when he gets back from the international series and keep him as captain or see how they go during pre season and make him prove why he should be captain. I like it.

I was there today and I must say Bate looks good, seems to have lost some bulk imo. Also i found it disgraceful to see Blease and Gysberts at the back of the pack, in fact Blease was years behind. Those two should be fitter than that, especially Gysberts, what the hell, he does always look dead in the games when coming to the bench though. Interesting to see Morton in the backline group, T Mac in the forward line along with Blease and Bate with the mids is interesting. I went home today with a few positives, however I am still very surprised that Grimes and Davey are still in rehab, Grimes especially, I thought he was almost a chance to play the final round or two. Evans has put on weight and looks a lot more bulkier, and the guy ran 10-15 laps straight at a reasonable pace. Gysberts, even though he is unfit, looks like he's had a few sandwiches as he looks much, much broader and bigger across the chest and arms. Today was merely a warm up, the next few sessions are the real deal from what I believe, get ready!

Not a bit harsh there on Gysberts? If he has changed his body shape, then surely endurance may take a temporary backward/sideways step? I would have thought, considering blokes like Morton who spend years on the list and don't improve their body shape, it's great that he has done so much in such a short time?

• Like 1

Sounds like the first session was mainly about getting an idea of how fit the players are. No doubt the coaches will take a lot of this data and use it to tailor their programs for the rest of the preseason. From the sound of things the players are going to be doing a hell of a lot of running in the next few months.

Thoughts from reading your posts (thanks guys):

Still way too many in the rehab group. Get healthy and get out there.

We only have 3 elite runners on the track right now- Jones, Bail, Bartram. No where near enough to build a midfield from. Trengove probably would be up there. But we need this group to include Sylvia, Davey and more. Mckezie as well. Blease and Gysberts need to get up here! They are still young, but need a big preseason.

Watts is working hard.

Not a bit harsh there on Gysberts? If he has changed his body shape, then surely endurance may take a temporary backward/sideways step? I would have thought, considering blokes like Morton who spend years on the list and don't improve their body shape, it's great that he has done so much in such a short time?

I agree with you on the change of body shape, fitness down call, but his fitness was amazingly down! He was at Sam Blease pace just about in the final few laps. He may be changing his body shape but sheesh, fitter than that surely, same with Blease, and he hasn't really changed his body shape at all!

Sounds like the first session was mainly about getting an idea of how fit the players are. No doubt the coaches will take a lot of this data and use it to tailor their programs for the rest of the preseason. From the sound of things the players are going to be doing a hell of a lot of running in the next few months.

What you've just said is exactly what is going to happen imo as well. Running is paramount at the moment.

Well.....umm... you have to start somewhere, and we've started. Now comes the real work, now we see what the coaches can make of this lot. Some may not know what has just him them..... Its a Mack truck called EXPECTATIONS !!

I like the Gysberts' fitness is exposed. The kid is hard at it, tall, has quick hands and can take a grab. I think he'll be the pick of all our midfielders in a few years. The all star fitness team just need to turn him into a machine. It has begun.

• Like 2

The session looked like a million other pre-season sessions to me. A lot of running to see players' levels in order to figure out a program. I didn't see anything different or unique to make me feel anything I haven't felt before. Gee it's easy to feel wonderful about pre-season and get all worked up. What was really good to me is that it wasn't hyped and ra-ra, but rather a sober measurement and test of our players.

As far as all the comments about Gysberts, Blease etc... let's see the situation after 3 months of gym work and tan track running. Remeber the difference last pre-season made to Watts? And think what a full pre-season free of injury will do for Grimes, Bail etc...

The only thing to note is the amount of players either in the rehab group, or doing an individual program due to trying to assess their starting point for pre-season preparations. MFC need to get this group as small as possible as soon as possible.

• Like 1

As far as all the comments about Gysberts, Blease etc... let's see the situation after 3 months of gym work and tan track running. Remeber the difference last pre-season made to Watts? And think what a full pre-season free of injury will do for Grimes, Bail etc...

I dont think Grimes is injury free by any means. he has had very bad luck.

Im not sure but think this will be all five Pre-seasons he has missed.