Morton, Martin re-signed; Green soon to happen

Striker475

I think making any trades should be at the decision of the new coach and his staff. Signing Morton is ultimately the better result as opposed to not signing him and seeing him walk, all in the name of seeing if the coach can trade him for someone he wants. We signed him and at least have a player with potential who is playing under a new coach.

It's a new slate now. We have the team. Time to start performing. Morton deserves his other chance under the sun. Same with Newton. They've been taught one way. Now let's see where they can go under someone else, because, arguably, none of our prospective young stars has gotten anywhere close to reaching their potential yet.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stef Martin has really impressed me this year - and specifically its his composure in certain situations.

He seems to keep his head and make the right decision in certain situations - whether its his delivery into the forward 50 or when he waits a little longer for the right time to kick a goal, etc.

He doesnt panic and i think that if he keeps on this track and grows in confidence he could haev a bright future.

I am surprised we singed Morton prior to the trade period. We cant trade him now which is (in my opinion) a bad result (subject to him getting an offer which was interesting).

Aside from Warnock, who can we trade?

We need to do something this trade period.......don't we??

Discussions would have already taken place if there was to be any official interest. It's probably 1 Yr too soon to really evaluate If the new Hard Broom can get deep into the crevices of his game, to weed out any soft barnacles.

IMO we will know better in another 12 months, how he's trending.

I am surprised we singed Morton prior to the trade period. We cant trade him now which is (in my opinion) a bad result (subject to him getting an offer which was interesting).

Aside from Warnock, who can we trade?

We need to do something this trade period.......don't we??

I am very surprised, and must say disappointed, that Morton was re-signed before we had a new coach who could sit him down eyeball to eyeball and spell out just what would be required of him. A weak decision IMO, but ...........

Cale has shown absolutely nothing in two years - sure he had a poor preseason, but that shouldn't kill of your nerve, and if it did than it won't ever come back anyway.

Sometimes this site leaves me completely non-plussed... one minute people are jumping all over Scully for running off and signing with GWS and showing no loyalty etc etc, and then as soon as Morton gives a display of loyalty and hopes to repay the faith the club has shown him, people start bagging him.

Thought we would have sent Morton to GWS to sweeten the deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Based on 2011 form, GWS would probably be happy to pay more for Scully on his own than have to take Morton as well.

What are we doing Dees? Rewarding mediocrity? I've never seen any player so scared to get involved in a contest.

Sometimes this site leaves me completely non-plussed... one minute people are jumping all over Scully for running off and signing with GWS and showing no loyalty etc etc, and then as soon as Morton gives a display of loyalty and hopes to repay the faith the club has shown him, people start bagging him.

+1

Nice to have some good news after the a-bomb West Sydney dropped on the club earlier in the day. I'm perfectly happy to see Morton re-signed. He was at his lowest trade value yet - he's worth far more to us as a Melbourne player than the third round pick we may have received in return. I'm keen to see what he can produce under a new coach. He came to us as the fourth-best player in his draft class, looked excellent in his first two seasons and then regressed.

Cale Morton is a perfect example of why I'm dead keen for a gun coach (Lyon) to come in and implement a new system and start to get the best out of our young talent.

Great news about Morton. He reminds me a lot of Goddard. People have forget his early troubles after a great finals series. PLayers take time to develop especially when they are still growing. Hopefully he gets a full preseason and can show his true potential.

Agree entirely.

There was something about his 1st 2 injury free years that supported this comparision.

Not hiding from his last two years they have been injury interupted & lead to zero confidence on the ground.

Goddard was shocking & ridiculed by Saints supporters in his 1st few years, those same supporters who now idolise him.

Actually if Ross Lyon comes on board he really should bring Goddard with him.

Edited by Old Man Rivers

I am very surprised, and must say disappointed, that Morton was re-signed before we had a new coach who could sit him down eyeball to eyeball and spell out just what would be required of him. A weak decision IMO, but ...........

Cale has shown absolutely nothing in two years - sure he had a poor preseason, but that shouldn't kill of your nerve, and if it did than it won't ever come back anyway.

We would gain little by trading Cale at the moment and we will probably have a better idea where he's headed after 12 months under a new coach. He was supposed to be an elite player and was taken at 4 because of this so it would be foolish to get rid of him without exhausting all avenues.

I would hate to see him blossom under another coach at another club.

When you put it like that, you make me feel guilty for slagging him off. Look I'm not questioning his character, he wants to stay, and given the events of today that is great.

I simply can't see him having what it takes to stand up in an intense final. He would fold. Big time.

Lovely kid- not knocking him, but he would be a liability in a final. And last time I checked finals are all that matter!

Agree entirely.

There was something about his 1st 2 injury free years that supported this comparision.

Not hiding from his last two years they have been injury interupted & lead to zero confidence on the ground.

Goddard was shocking & ridiculed by Saints supporters in his 1st few years, those same supporters who now idolise him.

Actually if Ross Lyon comes on board he really should bring Goddard with him.

I recall watching Goddard early and remarking how he was a "contact free" player, he seemed to avoid contact at all costs and was probably the most outside player I'd seen for many years. He put on a lot of weight one off season came back with the headband and looked like Arnie, but was still ordinary; it was the following year he finally took the big step to being a very good player.

He hasn't taken a backward step since then, except for this year he has been a little down and I reckon the St Kilda schoolgirl has be a big disruption down there.

I may be howled down for this, but I think Morton could be the next Adam Goodes.

Like Goodes though, he will take some time to develop.

No, I see that too. I used to compare the two quite regularly. Particularly in '09. He also killed Goodes in Canberra that year. Is a confidence player. Once he's found his niche, he'll be alright. Change of coach will be interesting for him.

Glad they've re-signed the rest.

Sorry hardtack, but I just don't think Cale Morton will make it. It's called an opinion.

I also think continually playing him when he didn't earn his place plus his lack of desire for the contest just personifies what is wrong with this playing group and sends the wrong message to the other players

Your mileage may differ, but I'm sticking with my opinion

Well said.

I was thinking about this and it may well be that the new coach has asked us to re sign Cale.

I'm wanting Green to resign but it would have been nice if he had of said something in the media about scully, martin and morton. he still represents the players and I haven't heard a thing. Even trengove, morton, chippa, etc...have gone to twitter to make comment...I follow green on twitter and haven't heard a thing.

Are things that bad at melbourne ?

Biggest disappointment for me with scully going, was it meant GWS wouldn't be able to sign Morton as on of the 'out of contract' players. :(

Would havebeen nice to get, say, a 3rd rounder for him.

Ed: maybe that's why he was delaying signing; hoping he would get to Sydney?

Edited by Mono