• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Month Ahead

45HG

The Month Ahead  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We can beat any of the Teams in the next 4 weeks with the right application.

eg. The Hawks would kill to have our Ruck Combination this year...No Roughead. Yes Cyril Rioli is to return....Tag him Jordie.

Frawley to deal with Lance.

We must go into this game positive....Big Crowd. Big WIN

and Tappy or Beamer to take out Osborne..Oh happy day

I think we are a reasonable chance against the Hawks and Blues - and having experienced a win at Kardinia Park a few years ago (and a narrow loss) I am looking forward to the Cats. It's so sweet to wipe those grins off the graziers. Almost as good as seeing Osborne horizontal.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i voted none onf them.

I'd love us to beat the eagles though. I see hem coming back to reality a little in recent weeks. Yes they are still very good, but they are starting to look a little tired? If we can jag a win against any team in the next month id like it to be against them to make up for the humiliation of attending the last match at Subi :(

We can beat any of the Teams in the next 4 weeks with the right application.

eg. The Hawks would kill to have our Ruck Combination this year...No Roughead. Yes Cyril Rioli is to return....Tag him Jordie.

Why bother using Jordie on Cyril. Cyril if he plays would be exclusively fwd 50.

Jordie to a red hot Mitchell. Maybe a Hodge.

A month b4 the Bumbres game, we were no chance that month. Think Pies, Blues surrounded that game. Who knows what Weagles will be in a month?

It will be a strange new feeling to actually be competitive let alone win against any of the better teams. Starts are crucial with our young team, our leaders need to lift consistently and we need to find a way to work throughthe press. A fit and in form Aaron Davey could be the key here. If blokes like Gysberts and Nicholson improve thier consistency with thier disposal efficiency this would help. If we do get that win it could lead to an epiphany of sorts and it wouldn't surprise me to see our talented team to get on a bit of a roll, but with young sides this can also work in reverse,

Can it happen? probably not quickly or emphatically enough for us to play finals but it could.

I don't think Davey will be back before the Carlton game at the earliest, he did not play yesterday which suggest he is still not fit.

He has a history of being out for long periods when injured and this occasion does not look any different.

He was next to useless against these sides the first time around, what's changed.

The good sides now have him worked out, a close checking oppenent and he is taken out.

Doubt he will be any help dandeeman

Guest 36DD

Next two weeks are dead, gone, finished. We won't get close to Hawthorn or Geelong. If we escape with less than 10 goal losses that would be a miracle quite frankly.

Carlton are the ones I think we could possibly beat, if they are still missing some key players and we are at our best, devoid of injuries and everyone is firing. They are struggling without Waite and Jamison, but their small forwards are still a cause for concern, not to mention their midfield. If Judd misses the game due to the impending birth of his child, we could seriously pinch this one. And I'm sure the players haven't forgotten the words spoken after our last encounter.

The AFL royally screwed us by giving us a home game at Etihad. We could have beaten the Eagles at the G, but not at Etihad. What a scheduling joke that is! :mad:

Failed to beat the Eagles at the G last year.

If the players want to make the eight and bring the required intensity in which to do so then why cant they beat Hawthorn or Geelong for that matter.

Why bother using Jordie on Cyril. Cyril if he plays would be exclusively fwd 50.

Jordie to a red hot Mitchell. Maybe a Hodge.

A month b4 the Bumbres game, we were no chance that month. Think Pies, Blues surrounded that game. Who knows what Weagles will be in a month?

*Good point about the Eagles, teams go on and off the boil this season like never before. Eagles at Etihad already has me anticipating a win.

*Jordie Mac would be lead a merry dance by Cyril, and that's no disrespect to Jordie. Mitchell a much better option, and if the umpire pays even the slightest bit of attention, we could get 5 or 6 dropping the ball decisions in our favour!

*Geelong at Shellacking stadium is the only game we CANNOT win. The club knows this, and I hope rests those who need to be, for our potential run toward the finals.

The other point is that given we would be making up the numbers if we did make the 8, there is still significant financial incentive, and 'finals footy' experience to be had. I don't think it will happen, and unless we beat one of Hawthorn, Geelong or Carlton, we ABSOLUTELY don't deserve to be there.

After giving some thought I voted Carlton, but geez it will be hard. If any of the sides are 5-10% off and we're up, we could cause an upset; but it's unlikely on present lists. I wanted to give us a chance against the Hawks, but they've got to be up for this one (ie. Allan Jeans) having had the week off and maybe the return of Rioli. And our recovery from the Darwin game and equally the preparation for the Hawthorn game is of some concern.

Thereafter I know Geelong at Geelong is probably the toughest of all assignmeents, but nothing is impossible. They look strong with Selwood back, Scarlett being rested at the right time on the weekend will suit, they're preparing for finals and won't have the foot off the pedal. That said, I hope Scott starts to load them up during the week for training prior to the game at Skilled.

The Carlton *bruise free* game will attract an element to the game that should see an honest contested game if the our leaders are fair dinkum and lead by example; which they should.

The Etihad game stinks that it's a home game and against a side who has performed admirably (see Carlton win, St.Kilda game) there of late, it builds as a massive challenge.

With the return of Aaron Davey at some stage during the next month, this may inject another dynamic to the team which we have missed. Optimistically speaking I think we can make a good account of these games in terms of level of performance, but it will no doubt come down to the main ingredients we've covered a number of times this year on these boards: -

• Leadership
  • Midfield

Together with attitude and intensity for 4 quarters, it will ensure a competitive outcome win or loss. Whether or not it results in 4, 8 or (god willing, wishful thinking) 12 or 16 points is another thing.

The other question I voted for Jamar, Moloney, Sylvia & Rivers.

The next 4 weeks is the reason Beamer just had his annual Boxing Camp.

Mentally Toughen up the whole group...There is a video on DEE TV now.

Swimming at 5.30am, then hourly boxing sessions. Go Hard Demons and win some Benefits this year.

A Final at the MCG would be massiive....how proud would Jimmy Stynes be....in the words of Lleyton Hewitt......"C'MOM...

I picked Carlton, because we owe them, the last game against them was not a good performance by us at all, we were injury ravaged, and they only built the big lead later in the game when they should have smashed us. And they just aren't a top 4 quality side, they're a lower top 8 side, we nearly are too.

Hawthorn have scarred us over the years, we should be every chance with their injuries, yet I'm prepping myself for a thrashing.

I picked Carlton, because we owe them, the last game against them was not a good performance by us at all, we were injury ravaged, and they only built the big lead later in the game when they should have smashed us. And they just aren't a top 4 quality side, they're a lower top 8 side, we nearly are too.

Hawthorn have scarred us over the years, we should be every chance with their injuries, yet I'm prepping myself for a thrashing.

Could not agree more we are usually beaten before we get to the ground.

Usually over by half time.

Like you said anything less than a thrashing seems good.

See nothing this weekend to suggest it will be different.

We will/can/should may beat them all and that's final.

But seriously I hope we come closer then we have been recently against Hawks and Cats.

Carlton will be a great game to watch especially after the bruise free footy comment. I reckon we could win as long as we don't get to angry and raging red mad, you want to the anger to burn slowly and like a blue heat.

Wet Toast I can't wait to see this rematch also especially after last time we met.

Don't know how we go but will keep believing we can beat any team on any given day.

People actually think we stand a chance against Geelong. In Geelong. Unbelievable.

When winning a football game becomes relative to like defying the laws of physics weird things sometimes happen.

When winning a football game becomes relative to like defying the laws of physics weird things sometimes happen.

Currently going through my mid-20s obsession with physics and the universe, so this post has undeniable association with me at this present time.

the bottom line is, we win one match in the next month, we make finals, carlton and west coast i think are our only chances, i so badly wish that we were playing west coast at the g because we would be a solid chance, its annoying that west coast will have played at etihad stadium more than melbourne this season.

hmm..theres what Id like to happen...and theres whats likely to happen.

I really havent seen us able to play 'our; game agaisnt any teams that really apply front 50 pressure. Were just not there yet. I cant see us getting over anyone this coming month. I stil lexpect Russian and Beamer to put 110% in. Im reluctant to commit to anyone else for the simple reason they havent comitted to games where its really mattered. There has been efforts by many but not full and complete games by the many. Some might say we're the walkabout Demons at times.

Id be rapt to see some others really stand up. Id ben neven more so for Bailey and Co to DEMAND they do. . Its all in or nothing...win or lose.

I think we need to pinch 2 of these games. With the race so tight, dropping 3 of these 4 puts us at the mercy of other results. Two wins should keep us in touch with finals down the home stretch.

Geelong isn't happening, they will wipe the floor with us. Hawthorn are still a boggy team (have we beaten them post Neitz era??). That leaves us with Carlton who really need a win to keep the media off their back, and WC at etihad which seems to be cursed turf for this club. We need to find a way to beat Carlton and WC. They are the best chance we have of pinching a W.

Currently going through my mid-20s obsession with physics and the universe, so this post has undeniable association with me at this present time.

Hey, don't go thinking the physics, universe thing is a young man's deal! I'm in my mid 40's, with a science background, and have just STARTED devouring stuff on the quantum universe, consciousness, and that it looks like reality ain't what I thought it was! Weirdly, I can't help thinking that it all relates to footy..... :blink:

The rollercoaster is back in full swing.

People actually think we stand a chance against Geelong. In Geelong. Unbelievable.

You probably also gave them no chance at all in 2006 when they drew and then beat them by a goal, or the year prior when the upset them at SS. In footy anyone is vulnerable on any certain day. Their last month has been a little shakey too. I still think they will beat us but to say we are no chance at all is the very wrong.

I think we need to pinch 2 of these games. With the race so tight, dropping 3 of these 4 puts us at the mercy of other results. Two wins should keep us in touch with finals down the home stretch.

Geelong isn't happening, they will wipe the floor with us. Hawthorn are still a boggy team (have we beaten them post Neitz era??). That leaves us with Carlton who really need a win to keep the media off their back, and WC at etihad which seems to be cursed turf for this club. We need to find a way to beat Carlton and WC. They are the best chance we have of pinching a W.

Yeah the last time we beat the Hawks was 2 years before Neita retired, beating them by 75 points in round 8, 2008. I'd celebrate all week long with even a point win this week.

probably the one time we'd like the roller coaster to continue. Won last week, get smashed against the Hawks, Smash the Cats at Skilled, get smashed by Carlton but then smash the Eagles. However the roller coaster will need to stop there because that would mean Richmond will smash us the week after.

On a more serious note I was wondering how we went in the weeks prior to last years Darwin game and found the draw to be equally as tough. We had Geelong the week after getting belted by 54, then Carlton losing by 41 and then that memorable draw with the filth.

I was not too concerned about getting up to play in Darwin but if we continue to play games up there it will be interesting to see if a pattern arises in the weeks after. Then again when ever we draw these kind of stretches we are sure to struggle regardless of where we played the week prior.

Still I look at it like this we are expected to lose all 4, so we have 4 free shots to try and snatch one, if we manage to it will not only be a great win, but will keep us in the finals race which has to be good for the spirit of the players and us supporters.

Maybe you're too young to remember but our early record at Docklands was very good. There's no reason it can't be again. We just have to play down the line more than at the `G. Turn it over going into the corridor at Dlands and you've opened up the opposition's goal face. I'd like to see us using Nicholson and Tapscott for long penetrating kicks off halfback and Davey for precision delivery. Then we might start to work our way through the press which is especially effective there.

As for those who say we cannot win at Geelong, tone it down to unlikely. They've had a couple of slip ups lately, needed Pods to dig them out of trouble last week so let's try to keep a little faith.

Right now I am really keen to see how we go against Hawthorn - no Roughie, Chip on Franklin, not a bad start, but who gets Cyril? Strauss who is mostly a negator? Has hardly done enough. Does Bartram come back? Mostly good but will struggle for pace. Nicholson? likes to back himself and that could leave us exposed. Let's put Jamar forward early and stretch their diminished defence. The midfield is crucial and that might be where we start to struggle first but let's see how our toughies Beamer, Sylvia and Jones go in there...lots to think about and look forward to.

And three more weeks of it - whatever the outcome we should learn plenty, and I for one am hopeful of two wins, and I don't care which two although Hawks (with Osborne laid out) would be a fine start.

hmm..theres what Id like to happen...and theres whats likely to happen.

I really havent seen us able to play 'our; game agaisnt any teams that really apply front 50 pressure. Were just not there yet. I cant see us getting over anyone this coming month. I stil lexpect Russian and Beamer to put 110% in. Im reluctant to commit to anyone else for the simple reason they havent comitted to games where its really mattered. There has been efforts by many but not full and complete games by the many. Some might say we're the walkabout Demons at times.

Id be rapt to see some others really stand up. Id ben neven more so for Bailey and Co to DEMAND they do. . Its all in or nothing...win or lose.

Could make an argument to say Beamer is in this group. He has done quite well against sides outside the eight, but has not played as well against the tougher assignments.

By the way, I thought the Essendon game "really mattered", and Jared Rivers "really mattered" that night in terms of leadership, performance and "hey presto" committment ! It's not the only game either, been several.

But some choose to ignore such quality. Some even want to trade or delist them...not looking at anyone in particular BB59. :blink: