The Tom Scully Saga

Guest Thomo

I have no idea if he is staying or going, but the media speculation does not make sense to me.

If I look at the Gold Coast Suns, they had a similar salary cap and list concessions to work with. They were able to sign one player to a once in a lifetime contract in Ablett, then half a dozen players on very good contracts. Brown, Brennan, Krakouer, Rischitelli and Bock were reported to be on great money, but not the superstar contract that Ablett signed on for.

It's been rumoured that several players have been signed with GWS. Walker and Palmer are rumoured to have signed for very good money. Walker at the start of the year may have been able to demand big dollars, I suspect in the same sort of ballpark as Rischitelli and Bock, same with Palmer.

So the media speculation is that Scully has signed an Ablett type superstar deal. The media are also saying that GWS are currently chasing Thomas and/or Goddard with deals that could be too good to refuse.

If Scully has signed for the money being talked about, I don't think that GWS can afford another superstar contract. So IMO either Scully has signed, or GWS are chasing Goddard or Thomas, it can't be both.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sat next a good friend of mine today who's being a passionate supporter since he was born. On Scully he had this point to make. "How the f**k am I supposed to get emotionally involved with a player who won't commit to the team and the club which I'm apart of?" It's a good point and Tom needs to step up in the next couple of weeks or let the club know he's off.

Or he doesn't have to give a crap about nervous supporters?

If he stays I don't care if he makes the decision tomorrow or in October.

Distractions are best not looked at.

Or he doesn't have to give a crap about nervous supporters?

If he stays I don't care if he makes the decision tomorrow or in October.

Distractions are best not looked at.

He's not a nervous supporter. His point is he doesn't know (like every one) whether Scully is staying or going. Thus he doesn't want to get emotionally involved because he doesn't want to be disappointed should he leave. Perfectly reasonable. FFS the club took him with it's No. 1 pick and he rightly wants to know sooner rather than later what's going on.

Distractions wouldn't be distractions if we didn't look at them. However the Scully situation is becoming a distraction because the media are reporting on it every other day.

Guest Artie Bucco

I know Im looking for clues but sitting behind the interchange today I noticed that most players slap each other coming off and on.

There are no lower and quicker hand slaps than those given back to the hand held out by TS. probably nuthin'..

Oh my god- I had no idea it was THIS bad!

If this is true, he's gone for sure!

Spare me...

Caroline Wilson said on footy classified that Tom Scully has 100% not signed yet.

She only relayed what Tom had stated at the start of the season in his statement and when answering questions from the media pack.

You make it sound/read like a new statement/news grab.

I have no idea if he is staying or going, but the media speculation does not make sense to me.

If I look at the Gold Coast Suns, they had a similar salary cap and list concessions to work with. They were able to sign one player to a once in a lifetime contract in Ablett, then half a dozen players on very good contracts. Brown, Brennan, Krakouer, Rischitelli and Bock were reported to be on great money, but not the superstar contract that Ablett signed on for.

It's been rumoured that several players have been signed with GWS. Walker and Palmer are rumoured to have signed for very good money. Walker at the start of the year may have been able to demand big dollars, I suspect in the same sort of ballpark as Rischitelli and Bock, same with Palmer.

So the media speculation is that Scully has signed an Ablett type superstar deal. The media are also saying that GWS are currently chasing Thomas and/or Goddard with deals that could be too good to refuse.

If Scully has signed for the money being talked about, I don't think that GWS can afford another superstar contract. So IMO either Scully has signed, or GWS are chasing Goddard or Thomas, it can't be both.

You make a great point. The thing people need to remember is that GWS is going to get two cracks at the uncontracted brigade - this year and next. Right now, it would be supremely dumb of GWS to put Scully on the Ablett-esque superstar money. That prices them out of the market (almost certainly) for Daisy, Pendlebury, Goddard and others who may come out of contract at the end of next year.

Further to this, I think we need to be looking at a possibility of 1-3 Bulldogs players going there as part of a large trade deal. Think about it - you trade Gilbee, Higgins and perhaps Hill and get a pick 5 and a pick 17. That sort of thing will be looked at out west as well as at GWS - established players with bods on them to support the young'uns.

Finally, Folau is on far sillier money than Karmichael. Remember that come trade time.

Edited by Striker475

Only way i know that would solve the Tom Scully speculation is make him the Captain with Trengove and Grimes as dual vice captains

Thought they all were Captains before being drafted if my memory serves me correctly

Lets face it the current leadership just isn't working

Only way i know that would solve the Tom Scully speculation is make him the Captain with Trengove and Grimes as dual vice captains

Thought they all were Captains before being drafted if my memory serves me correctly

Lets face it the current leadership just isn't working

Give a guy with <30 games under his belt the captaincy? I wouldn't be comfortable with that, the playing group probably wouldn't be comfortable with that, and Scully himself probably wouldn't be comfortable with it. Give it to Moloney, elevate Scully to some sort of leadership role along with Trengove. Giving the captaincy to Green, a forward in pretty average, youthful team was a bit of a mistake in my opinion. It needs to be up his end of the ground for him have any sort of team lifting influence. Maybe that's why DB has been pushing him into the midfield more, to get the captain involved. It's all a bit of a mess.

This idea that Tom (or anyone) will only sign if we win games or "show them" that Melbourne is a club worth staying, is bogus. If any of our players adopt that attitude they are welcome to the exit door.

We need players who are prepared to do the hard work to create a winning culture from within, whether they are number one draft picks or last round rookies.

A persuasive case for scully going/ stay can be made either way. scully going imo is the new normal, we are catching with best practise in the U.K and other footballing nations with players rushing to the cash and the champagne.

very true but for players going to GWS - welcome to the world of irrelevance. As anyone who knows anything about Sydney culture in general and in sport, AFL does not register in the media up there. Scully and others will spend 10 years in the wilderness in the outback suburbs. You need to live out in the west because of the diabolical traffic, etc.

Anyone who goes there deserves all the money they can get. Remember, Sheedy is in this for himself and don't enyone think otherwise.

Lets all move on. We still have a nucleues oof a great future in Trengove, Tapscott, Gysberts, Frawley etc, led next year by moloney.

The gamne plan - that's another question.

She only relayed what Tom had stated at the start of the season in his statement and when answering questions from the media pack.

You make it sound/read like a new statement/news grab.

That is what she said, but i know what you mean. She was more having a go at the Ox being 98% sure he had signed already.

Garry was very dissmissive of what the Ox said also, saying he doesn't know who he has been speaking to at the club because everyone he knows thinks he will stay.

My feeling is that he has signed a HOA. That is where the 98% surety for Ox comes in. I also believe that he now wants out of the HOA and wants to stay. Melbourne are playing him because the compensation will be guided by where he finished in our B&F. Reckon it's a 50-50 call ATM.

My feeling is that he has signed a HOA. That is where the 98% surety for Ox comes in. I also believe that he now wants out of the HOA and wants to stay. Melbourne are playing him because the compensation will be guided by where he finished in our B&F. Reckon it's a 50-50 call ATM.

After all that work with your crystal ball you're going to sit on the fence! sheeeez! Grow some and predict, nostradamus.

I sat next a good friend of mine today who's being a passionate supporter since he was born. On Scully he had this point to make. "How the f**k am I supposed to get emotionally involved with a player who won't commit to the team and the club which I'm apart of?" It's a good point and Tom needs to step up in the next couple of weeks or let the club know he's off.

We need to deal with reality - please name all the GWS recruited footballers who were certainties to go that informed their club 8 weeks prior to the end of the season that they were going. Didnt happen and wont happen here. I think Bock was the first to announce his intentions and he did that the second last week of the season and didnt play for Adelaide again.

You make a great point. The thing people need to remember is that GWS is going to get two cracks at the uncontracted brigade - this year and next. Right now, it would be supremely dumb of GWS to put Scully on the Ablett-esque superstar money. That prices them out of the market (almost certainly) for Daisy, Pendlebury, Goddard and others who may come out of contract at the end of next year.

Further to this, I think we need to be looking at a possibility of 1-3 Bulldogs players going there as part of a large trade deal. Think about it - you trade Gilbee, Higgins and perhaps Hill and get a pick 5 and a pick 17. That sort of thing will be looked at out west as well as at GWS - established players with bods on them to support the young'uns.

Finally, Folau is on far sillier money than Karmichael. Remember that come trade time.

The fact that GWS has two years to poach players gives them more room to offer big contracts. They can front-end them and give a massive payout in the first season and still have money to burn for next year.

Also, Folau is being paid out of the AFL's marketing budget rather than the salary cap. I think you'll find that he is only getting around 300k from the cap. That's not going to put a dent in their ability to throw cash at our stars.

This reminder was posted on Demonology:

"I'd love to end my career and say that I was a one-club player and I anticipate that'll be the case," he said. "The Melbourne footy club has given me a great opportunity and I'm very thankful that I'm in the position that I am.

"I wake up in the morning and I come to work and I love what I do. I'm just really looking forward to playing footy this year as well."

Quizzed as to how he could resist a possible $5 million over five years, Scully indicated that money was not a driving motivation.

"Well, it goes back to your values," he said. "The Melbourne footy club gave me an opportunity and I do love the club and I do love playing here. You can see where we're going -- we're heading in the right direction both on and off the field. I want to be part of the future here."

Doesn't sound like a guy that had already signed for another club.

My thoughts exactly he keeps saying I'll let the club & my management sort it out, giving MFC every chance to get as close to the GWS offer as possible

It may not mean much, but at 4:20pm today (Tuesday) Kevin Sheedy being interviewed by Ox on SEN said that GWS had not signed any players.

He said they would be crazy to at this stage of the season considering the player may do a career-threatening injury at any time prior to the end of the season.

It well may be bluff, but he did sound genuine.

It may not mean much, but at 4:20pm today (Tuesday) Kevin Sheedy being interviewed by Ox on SEN said that GWS had not signed any players.

He said they would be crazy to at this stage of the season considering the player may do a career-threatening injury at any time prior to the end of the season.

The saga continues

very true but for players going to GWS - welcome to the world of irrelevance. As anyone who knows anything about Sydney culture in general and in sport, AFL does not register in the media up there. Scully and others will spend 10 years in the wilderness in the outback suburbs. You need to live out in the west because of the diabolical traffic, etc.

Not entirely wrong although I'm pretty sure saying "outback suburbs" kind of demonstrates how little people know the size and importance of western Sydney.

The traffic heading to the city at peak hour is shocking (and expensive), as it is everywhere, but if you're heading the other way it's fine.

And as for being irrelevant. That is completely correct. AFL has not and never will "take over" up here, despite the best divide and conquer techniques of Vlad and Co.

Whether you like or respect the sport or not this is league territory and while there will be the fluff and bubble of something new, it will pass as the kids go back to the massive

junior footy programs (not AusKick which is has never caught on out there) in the Western Suburbs.

The Gold Coast was a far easier sell than here and everyone is well aware of it. There has not been a mention of Sheedy or GWS in the Sydney media since

a fleeting piece when Falou (who as a Queenslander is not a great marquee player for this area either) kicked his couple of goals in the Canberra league.

The AFL will keep GWS afloat and clearly it has a lot of money to spend, but despite the fact moving to Sydney is fine (hey it's my home town and I love it here),

the organisation will never have the same popularity here has the Swans do (although it did take a series of hugely successful years for people to pay too much attention)

nor will they in my opinion be as successful as the Gold Coast have been (relatively speaking).

But if Tom wants to move North then good luck to him, his bank manager will be thrilled but it will not be an easy adjustment.

Edited by QueenC

they can't sign an AFL contract till October anyway

his comments mean nothing