• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes for next week vs Carlton

Eth

I would play Davey but switch his role, play him on Yarran as a defensive forward tag. We have two main isues our forwards push to far up the ground giving us no options when we break from half back and on the flip side when we forward press we are getting to many easy goals kicked out the back. We need to have two players in our defensive 50m arc when we press, we are not good enough at pressing and we can't win games when we have 4-5 goals per week kicked by our zone being beaten and players running into open goals.

As for changes, we need to decide are we playing for now or tomorrow. Unfortunately playing Bate and Newton will not help us improve players for the future. On current form I wouldn't expect these two to be o our list at years end.

For me

Out Taspcott, Bate, Newton, Bartram(I think he will get rubbed out hope not but likely)

In Bennell, Gawn, Nicholson, Blease

Maric Watts Green

Jurrah Sylvia Davey

Jones Moloney Evans

MacDonald Rivers Nicholson

Bennell Warnock Frawley

Martin Gysberts McKenzie

Gawn Jetta Petterd

Sub Blease

We need to bring in players that have the ability to break lines, we need this as we have Moloney, Jones, McKenzie, Gysberts, Jetta, Sylvia that can win the footy in close but with Davey out of form we need quick skilled players Evans was able to bring this and also win his own footy. Bennell plays on Garlett, Frawley to Betts, Rivers gets first crack at Waite.

You had me until you bought in Bennell, why?

The guy has not even played a game since his wonderful performance against north.

Please anyone but him.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You had me until you bought in Bennell, why?

The guy has not even played a game since his wonderful performance against north.

Please anyone but him.

Only brought Bennell in for the lose of Bartram through suspension. I think he can match up on Garlett well.

Bartram (Simpson) Rivers (Walker) Warnock (O'Hailpin)

Sylvia (Betts) Frawley (Waite) Jetta (Garlett)

Jones (Gibbs) Watts (Ellard) Morton (Laidler)

Gysberts Jurrah Maric

Petterd Green Newton

Followers: Martin Moloney Evans

Interchange: McKenzie Bate Macdonald

Sub: Bennell (Could use his leg speed)

In: Morton, Bennell

Out: Davey, Tapscott

Edited by mrtwister

I thought the club might show a bit of boldness last week by giving 208cm Max Gawn a run to stretch the St. Kilda rucks but, instead it went for Martin as first ruck with Michael Newton as his back up. That strategy has been a massive fail as far as Juice has been concerned. If our selectors make the same mistake for a third week in a row I will be disappointed.

Is Gawn really ready? I haven't seen any Casey games this year so i'm genuinely asking for your opinion. Gawn was playing Casey 2's only a few weeks ago and is coming off some big injuries for such a big man. Is he really ready or would we be just rushing him in because we are so short of ruck options?

Is Gawn really ready? I haven't seen any Casey games this year so i'm genuinely asking for your opinion. Gawn was playing Casey 2's only a few weeks ago and is coming off some big injuries for such a big man. Is he really ready or would we be just rushing him in because we are so short of ruck options?

I would love to see him get a run, and game-wise I think he could be ok, but not great. The problem is that I don't think his body is quite there yet and we'd be risking setting him back with more injuries. Probably better to hold off and cop the losses to some good teams rather than risk him in the next month.

I would drop davey, maybe netwon or bate with tapscott suspended

So maybe 2-3 ins

Wouldnt bring Bennell or Morton back, Morton needs to work hard in the reserves for atlest 2 games although 3 weeks.. i want more than one good performance from these guys.

Ins is harder, maybe a Strauss (is he fit? has he played a game after being out?), Nicholson, we saw Evans do it so why not our next best Midfield option??

Dont think Blease has done enough yet, plays one way from what i have heard and seen, although his last couple of weeks are reportedly better

Gawn is the other interesting one, if Newton is dropped we need a real ruck option/backup to martin, although i think he is still to early for him

Howe maybe, do want a bit more but is he worse than Newton,Bate, or Petterd atm?

Talks of dropping Jurrah are rubbish.. i don't think he's ever going to be the most physical player but he's a freak, is averaging 2.5 goals a game this year and along with Sylvia and Petterd is the only players in our game that are matchwinners.

OUT Davey (Soft, easily tagged out of game, poor leader and for a fast small bloke hasnt laid a tackle since his debut season)

Newton (Tries hard and chases but just isnt going to be in a premiership side so play a kid that will

Bate (What has happened to u... but is hard to have impact as sub)

Tapscott (Injured)

IN - Anyone that is not soft and wasnt to play their part in building a premiership side

ive never been so frustrated as yesterday watching us take a mark in the back half and then kick backwards.. Bartram did in countless times... its pathetic and just another reason. the majority of players take a mark and look back and sideways.. Look forward and for fu$Ks sake... No wonder we never get any inside 50's...

Guest Artie Bucco

IN / OUT

Bennell / Davey

Gawn / Newton

Howe / Bate

Strauss / Tapscott

and if I had my way...

Blease / MacDonald

IN / OUT

Bennell / Davey

Gawn / Newton

Howe / Bate

Strauss / Tapscott

and if I had my way...

Blease / MacDonald

Not bad. One thing we need to remember is the pace of the Carlton forwards. They tend to play a lot of small quick goalsneak types and Bartram can't cover them all. Bringing in a couple of quick running half backs is far from the worst idea. I also really want Howe to have a good run in the seniors to show his stuff. He'll take a couple of games to get the feel of it, but he could be just what we need.

Guest Artie Bucco

I'm resigned to the fact we will likely get belted anyway, so there's not the normal concern about bringing in too much youth (bearing in mind we'd still have the very green Gysberts, Pickles and Watts in there).

I'd imagine Blease and Gawn in particular could get monstered, but it's all a learning experience.

Not good going in with a defeatist attitude, I know, but this is just me, I'm not Dean Bailey addressing the team or anything.

Oh, and I'd sign Bailey to another year extension right now. Boom.

IN / OUT

Bennell / Davey

Gawn / Newton

Howe / Bate

Strauss / Tapscott

and if I had my way...

Blease / MacDonald

Agree with most of that although I don't think Jmac was as bad as everybody reckons (aside from the idiotic play on in the last). The irony of bringing Bennell in for Davey would be quite funny, but I'm pretty resigned to a belting this week so we might as well mix it up because there are some players that look way to comfortable. Gawn coming in would be a great positive for us, and surely would be better in the ruck than Newton.

Forward structure. Whether it's the players or the coaches, and I still believe it's the coaches, our forwards push too far up the ground, especially when we're losing.

Indeed. I thought this improved during the Adelaide game, but on Saturday we reverted.

I'm getting over the talk of "x player isn't ready". If they are playing Casey seniors, and have done so for most of the year, and especially those that were there last year too, they are ready given our injury situation. The Gold Coast boys are far from ready, but one thing about them is that you know they are having a red hot crack. That said, they have to have shown SOME form at Casey to be considered. That's why I think Blease, Howe and maybe Gawn have to come in.

I called for the dropping of Davey on Saturday night, if this doesn't happen, the call for him to become the substitute is right on the money. That would be a massive kick in the guts to him, and will give him about 40 minutes to prove himself. Sadly, given our track record, our subs are currently playing 95% game time anyway - bloody 1st quarter injuries!

IN / OUT

Bennell / Davey

Gawn / Newton

Howe / Bate

Strauss / Tapscott

and if I had my way...

Blease / MacDonald

MacDonald's 100th this week.

Thankfully we leave Etihad and return to the G.

Bartram Frawley McDonald

Petterd Rivers MacDonald

Green Moloney Gysberts

Howe Watts Sylvia

Davey Warnock Jurrah

Martin Jones Maric

I:Gawn/Campbell McKenzie Evans

S:Jetta

In: Gawn/Campbell McDonald Howe

Out: Newton Bate Tapscott

Anyone who doesn't drop Newton is not fair dinkum. There is zero justification for him wearing a Melbourne jumper ever again, even if the jumpers are pink!

Out: Newton, Tapscott

In: Morton, Wonna

He's caught the opposition Holding the Ball more times this year than Davey has.

He may not be good enough, but that point alone shows there's another Melbourne that shouldn't be wearing the jumper at the moment.

He's caught the opposition Holding the Ball more times this year than Davey has.

He may not be good enough, but that point alone shows there's another Melbourne that shouldn't be wearing the jumper at the moment.

I did leave out that I would either replace Davey with a first gamer, or make him sub.

I think Davey has earned the right to attempt to redeem himself on the Friday night stage. But as a sub.

Anyone who doesn't drop Newton is not fair dinkum. There is zero justification for him wearing a Melbourne jumper ever again, even if the jumpers are pink!

Out: Newton, Tapscott

In: Morton, Wonna

I think Newton was better than Bate and Jurrah.

Jurrah has runs on the board but Bate doesn't - he has received 'worst on ground' votes from MMM commentary the last two matches he's played, including our massive win over Adelaide. Furthermore, Bate can't jump, so he can't help out in the ruck either.

I think Newton was better than Bate and Jurrah. Jurrah has runs on the board but Bate doesn't - he has received 'worst on ground' votes from MMM commentary the last two matches he's played - and Bate can't jump so he can't help out in the ruck either.

Yeh, I could wear dropping them both.

I would still drop Newton first. I think Bate potentially offers more.

I think Newton was better than Bate and Jurrah.

No, Newton was worse. Appallingly bad. Should join Dunn in the 'doesn't deserve another game for a minimum of 10 weeks' file.

Bate was awful too. I don't see the point in playing him. What does he offer? He's a slow, mid-sized forward who can't play midfield, can't play full forward, can't ruck, can't run, can't turn, can't kick, and just generally has little skill. We lose nothing, nothing at all, by swapping him for Howe, and the potential to gain is enormous.

Jurrah needs to lift his work rate tenfold.