Changes for next week.

Gorgoroth

I think that unless there's a particular player that should be dropped regardless of quality of replacement it's pretty dependant on who is coming in, and I'm often relying on Demonland to tell me who is playing well for Casey.

I don't rate Jetta, so he would be out for me. Furthermore, I watched him a fair bit and after evey involvement he looked knackered, unable to present again or man up a player etc. If Wona is playing good footy at Casey then I'd make that change in a heartbeat.

Maric is getting unfairly smashed on Demonland. I'm not sure what people expected from an opportunist small forward who only got a run in the last quarter of a game that was over.

Gysberts is a player I'd like to get into the team. Long-term I'd be trying to replace Jones with a better player, and I can see why people are putting his name up, but I doubt we'll bite the bullet on him now. (Perhaps when Scully and McKenzie are fit). I also think we could be well-served changing our balance so we added an extra runner anyway.

Taking into account the claim above that Morton is hammering on the door and desperate for a shot, I'd be bringing him in as the super sub. He is tall enough to play as a key back or forward, runs like a mid and can have a serious impact (didn't he once kick 4 when he was shifted to CHF?).

I'd like to give Morton match time, so if we were to play him as our sub - probably only giving him one quarter unless there was an early injury - then I'd rather he get a full game at Casey.

You know things have hit rock bottom for Melbourne supporters when Newton's name is being floated around repeatedly.

I thought it might take us a bit more time than this, but what the hell it's round 2, we haven't won a game yet, Grimes can't kick and Scully is leaving, so BRING BACK NEWTON.

Did you really need to make yet another post making a stab at Newton? I mean you'd already made the same point a few posts back.

Your view is clear, but I think it overlooks the fact that Newton was playing consistently good football at VFL last year - good enough to have earned a spot in the seniors, only to be thwarted by an injury the week before he was scheduled to return to AFL level. In his games at AFL level he didn't set the stage alight, but he did provide a better work-rate and attack on the footy, while also competing well as a back-up ruck.

That said, I thought Martin played pretty well in round 1 and doesn't warrant getting dropped for punitive reasons after round 2, so if Newton were to return we'd have to change the balance of the side. If we were to go taller we'd want a running player as a sub we could use to provide legs to the team later in the game, in a similar vein to Hawthorn's tactics yesterday.

PS. With regards Watts, I agree with the suggestion that some games coming up could provide some confidence for him. I also think that Watts is competing far better this season and, while he's a work in progress, getting games into players like him is the development path that most Demonlanders were happy with (emphasis on were; until we start losing).

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know things have hit rock bottom for Melbourne supporters when Newton's name is being floated around repeatedly.

I thought it might take us a bit more time than this, but what the hell it's round 2, we haven't won a game yet, Grimes can't kick and Scully is leaving, so BRING BACK NEWTON.

What are you talking about?

A lot of our supporters are so fickle that they call for Newton to be brought into the side every 2nd week!

I guess it's the same at most footy clubs though - the majority of supporters don't actually understand the game well enough to make an educated comment...

Thought watts was good today, took a few marks across half forward, including one good pack mark. Was ignored a couple of times but thought he did ok. For a team that went inside 50 so few times I thought he was ok.

Can't blame Maric for his efforts, he is an opportunistic forward pocket crumber. When he gets the ball or near it he doesn't look too bad, but it isn't his job to make the play. If we had 50 inside 50's he would be threatening. If we had 10 while he was on the ground I would be surprised.

I would like to see Bennel as sub next week. He does some fantastic things, he has the ability to set play up and finish it off, which gives him versatility as a sub, BUT goes missing for long stretches. Throw him into it as sub and his job is to get as much of the ball as he can for 30 minutes could benefit both us and him - he can affect the game, and it may teach him to find the ball a bit more.

If the FD saw fit to keep him and he's kicked 8 in the last 2 weeks including 5 in reportedly a good game then he deserves a recall. Personally I wouldn't let him at the oranges but we need another big body in the side and he's what we have.

Big Juice in.

Out Watts.

Juice can read the play, Watts can learn at VFL level, is still a fair way of AFL standard. Not body wise or skill wise just can't read the play at all and shouldn't stand in the way of a better player at the moment.

I thought Jones did a job ok.

Bennel I don't think should have played another game after round 2 last year when he shat himself twice!

I think Watts can read the play. In fact he reads it so well he knows where to go to avoid being crunched. It needs to change and I really hope it does.

In game where the positives (Tapscott & Bail aside) were few and far between, I thought Watts' mark at the front of the pack showed that he has progressed in his development and will be an important part of our forward line in the future. Dropping him would achieve nothing and although I have not been a fan in the past, I am starting to warm to him.

OUT: Jones, Maric, (Garland if injured)

IN: Gysberts, Wonaeamirri, (Macdonald)

We need Jetta's speed, despite how bad he was today.

Jetta's speed? Can't agree with you on this one. His reaction time is okay, but his foot speed, well, is non-existent.

BTW, did anyone else see Cam Bruce run away from Trengove? Is he carrying an injury? Surely he's just as quick as Cam?

At least your consistant! You are right if the sub comes on and can't make up a 40 point deficit in a quarter then he doesn't deserve to play! :wacko:

Petterd came on last week and almost won us the game and Maric? Huh six touches in a quarter playing in a forward line that was non existent is pretty ordinary. Have a look at the stats. We got beat because we got smashed out of the middle and the possessions or lack of possessions of our midfield shows the true story. Add to that the lack off possession for our forwards due to lack of delivery and the outcome. We got smashed.

Nathan Jones..........10,,,,6,,,,16

Aaron Davey...........12,,,,3,,,,15

Jack Trengove.........8,,,,,6,,,,,14

Ricky Petterd.........7,,,,,5,,,,,12

Lynden Dunn..........5,,,,,5,,,,,10

Liam Jurrah............7,,,,,3,,,,,10

Jack Watts............6,,,,,9,,,,,15

----------------------------------------------

Jamie Bennell.......5,,,,,3,,,,,,8

Neville Jetta..........5,,,,,4,,,,,,9

Addam Maric.......3,,,,,3,,,,,6

Your bashing of Maric is farcical! He only played for a quarter and he other than an injured player is the one that you deem as Useless. I hope people are starting to see through your personal attacks.

Rational people would think that we need to address getting the ball out of the middle so our changes need to start there. I would also have a talk to Jurrah and tell him that he will not win the Mark of the Year every year and to stop trying to. He keeps trying to do the spectacular and often doesn't even manage to get the ball to ground so our small guys have something to go after.

That said my thoughts for next week are:

Out: Garland (Inj), Jetta, Bennell

In: Macdonald, Wonna, Gysberts

I watched Maric for the majority of the last quarter, as I didn't see the point in watching general play. He has no idea what to do when we don't have the ball. He doesn't zone correctly (i.e. he usually is too close to another MFC player), he doesn't run hard enough, he doesn't tackle hard enough, he doesn't make space when we need him to.

I want to see an effort. I didn't see that from Maric, and I can't remember the last time I did. I don't care that he only got 1.5 quarters yesterday, that should not preclude him from making way. He was crap last week, worse yesterday, and I see no future in a player whose effort levels are just way too low.

I don't rate Jetta, so he would be out for me. Furthermore, I watched him a fair bit and after evey involvement he looked knackered, unable to present again or man up a player etc. If Wona is playing good footy at Casey then I'd make that change in a heartbeat.

Maric is getting unfairly smashed on Demonland. I'm not sure what people expected from an opportunist small forward who only got a run in the last quarter of a game that was over.

I sense a little bit of hypocrisy here. Jetta doesn't play as an 'oppostunistic small forward' (I resent that title, by the way. Decent small forwards do more than just rely on others to create chances for them to bob up and kick a goal or two), but your description of Jetta matches exactly what I saw from Maric. But by virtue of Jetta starting in the 21, and Maric starting as a sub (which tells you something about where the FD rated them before the game), Maric was unlucky, but Jetta was crap.

I watched Maric for the majority of the last quarter, as I didn't see the point in watching general play. He has no idea what to do when we don't have the ball. He doesn't zone correctly (i.e. he usually is too close to another MFC player), he doesn't run hard enough, he doesn't tackle hard enough, he doesn't make space when we need him to.

I want to see an effort. I didn't see that from Maric, and I can't remember the last time I did. I don't care that he only got 1.5 quarters yesterday, that should not preclude him from making way. He was crap last week, worse yesterday, and I see no future in a player whose effort levels are just way too low.

I sense a little bit of hypocrisy here. Jetta doesn't play as an 'oppostunistic small forward' (I resent that title, by the way. Decent small forwards do more than just rely on others to create chances for them to bob up and kick a goal or two), but your description of Jetta matches exactly what I saw from Maric. But by virtue of Jetta starting in the 21, and Maric starting as a sub (which tells you something about where the FD rated them before the game), Maric was unlucky, but Jetta was crap.

Jetta was exhausted before half time and is also slow. I feel Maric is not up to it, end of story. On the other hand I thought Tapscott was fantastic and Watts and Bail continue to improve.

I think Watts can read the play. In fact he reads it so well he knows where to go to avoid being crunched. It needs to change and I really hope it does.

i am a fair Watts basher but he stood tall with 3 or 4 Hawks all over his back yesterday and he held the mark. Did some other good things in the first half, but in the second his teammates gave him squat

i am a fair Watts basher but he stood tall with 3 or 4 Hawks all over his back yesterday and he held the mark. Did some other good things in the first half, but in the second his teammates gave him squat

part of me feels this mark was more ar$e than class...i'm not Watts bashing...but anyone who can take a mark with 3 defenders coming after you has to be very lucky or very good..

part of me feels this mark was more ar$e than class...i'm not Watts bashing...but anyone who can take a mark with 3 defenders coming after you has to be very lucky or very good..

I've watched it a few times and there was no ass in there. He did everything right. Pushed back really hard to hold his spot against his man, reached to the ball and took it at full arm's length to keep everyone else's hands off it. It was a really good mark.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
It might be time to bring in Newton.

Newton in for Watts. (Watts to Sub.)

No. I'd rather us play one short.

I think that unless there's a particular player that should be dropped regardless of quality of replacement it's pretty dependant on who is coming in, and I'm often relying on Demonland to tell me who is playing well for Casey.

Gysberts is a player I'd like to get into the team. Long-term I'd be trying to replace Jones with a better player, and I can see why people are putting his name up, but I doubt we'll bite the bullet on him now. (Perhaps when Scully and McKenzie are fit). I also think we could be well-served changing our balance so we added an extra runner anyway.

I'd like to give Morton match time, so if we were to play him as our sub - probably only giving him one quarter unless there was an early injury - then I'd rather he get a full game at Casey.

Did you really need to make yet another post making a stab at Newton? I mean you'd already made the same point a few posts back.

Your view is clear, but I think it overlooks the fact that Newton was playing consistently good football at VFL last year - good enough to have earned a spot in the seniors, only to be thwarted by an injury the week before he was scheduled to return to AFL level. In his games at AFL level he didn't set the stage alight, but he did provide a better work-rate and attack on the footy, while also competing well as a back-up ruck.

That said, I thought Martin played pretty well in round 1 and doesn't warrant getting dropped for punitive reasons after round 2, so if Newton were to return we'd have to change the balance of the side. If we were to go taller we'd want a running player as a sub we could use to provide legs to the team later in the game, in a similar vein to Hawthorn's tactics yesterday.

PS. With regards Watts, I agree with the suggestion that some games coming up could provide some confidence for him. I also think that Watts is competing far better this season and, while he's a work in progress, getting games into players like him is the development path that most Demonlanders were happy with (emphasis on were; until we start losing).

I'd like the match committee to play jurrah on the /wing where he would have to 'Run' harder and chase and be more disciplined and accountable. just for a month or so. To stop him from wanting to fly every 3 seconds and use his speed and great ball handling ability more. Mayb even Watts on the other side. Centreline speed and height aplenty. We could have Green off the flank, close to the mids and Petterd starting deep, with Martin or Newton and Wonnaemirri/Davey

That would enable us to give Benny a rest @ Casey, with the Jett.

I'd like the match committee to play jurrah on the /wing where he would have to 'Run' harder and chase and be more disciplined and accountable. just for a month or so. To stop him from wanting to fly every 3 seconds and use his speed and great ball handling ability more. Mayb even Watts on the other side. Centreline speed and height aplenty. We could have Green off the flank, close to the mids and Petterd starting deep, with Martin or Newton and Wonnaemirri/Davey

That would enable us to give Benny a rest @ Casey, with the Jett.

I'm not sure putting Jurrah on the wing is the answer, but I agree with the notion. He seems to be all about pulling off the spectacular moves and not the basics. He jumps early and tries to take a flying one-hander against two opponents. He never spoils no matter how outmanned he is. I rarely see him chase when the ball is being run out of by his opponents. It often seems that if he has little prospect of winning the ball himself he's not really up for it. It's all about getting the ball in his own hands. While I don't have a problem with a player wanting this, he needs to work harder at making sure it gets into the team's hands.

In: Gysberts, Morton, Newton or Bate

Out: Jones, Maric, Jetta

Jones goes out because he needs to realise that he isnt a automatic selection. Gysberts in becasue he will be a gun one day, and should be given as much oppertunity as we can give him

Morton in & Newton (or Bate) come in to give our forward line some level of potency. Jurrah & Watts are talents but neither are power forwards to shape a forwardline around. Dunn and Petterd are decent but neither are a focal point just yet. Lions have some injuries to their big men at both ends of the ground. Morton and Newton could both swing forward / back if required.

Jetta and Maric out becasue we need these types of players to kick goals or find the footy. At the moment These guys & even Bennell do neither :(

And of course it's not possible that he is actually very good, because he plays for Melbourne and we lost last night and hence the world is ending and everybody sucks.

ARGH! :lol:

i'm not questioning his talent, never have. However I watch him closely most games and I don't like all of what I see. It was a good mark but it's the only contested mark he's taken at AFL level. Sure his first half was pretty good but what I want to see is him playing like he really wants the ball. When that happens, which I'm confident it will, you will see him demanding it from those upfield. In my opinion the reason his leads are often ignored is they are half arsed. I want to see him roar like a lion not meow like a [censored] cat.

He must stay in the team. Personally in the last quarter yesterday I would of put him on Buddy and said don't let him beat you to the ball.

Edited by Roost It

I'm changing my changes.

I'm going to play the same side, make Bennell the sub, play Maric and Jetta on the ball. Play Watts deep forward and tell the midfielders to kick it to him all day. With Morton, Wonaeamirri and Scully all due back soon give the spots to those who perform this week.

Edited by Roost It

Barring replacements for injury, id only drop Jetta for Gysberts.

Id give Bennell and Maric another chance, but they would be nervous.

If Wona is to play then Maric will go.

Can we ease up on the Maric bashing the kids played what 10.5 games FFS !!

Not sure if you mean me but I said that I feel ( my opinion ) that he is not up to it. That is not bashing or denigrating a player, it is merely a personal opinion. That is sport, we praise some and not others.

PS. I would however be thrilled to be proven wrong.