THE TOM SCULLY TO GWS THREAD

DirtyDees DDC

It has been said that players that 25% is an indication of the overs that needs to be paid to pry a player from a club.

Not sure if anyone can guess the percentage - the percentage to go from Melbourne to say Collingwood ( spit spit - ewww) would be less than to go to Fremantle (performing club but still interstate but in a very liveable city?) which would be less than GWS ( although you could live in a good part of town - but at a club that has years before successful) ?

I suspect to quite a few a GC17 lifestyle would have more appeal than a GWS lifestyle - therefore accept a lesser increase to go up to the Gold Coast ?

Different footballers would place different emphasis on different things - Tom is young and a family man - Peter Everitt was a nomad who thought nothing of pulling up stumps and moving on.

So many factors

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddie says he has an "impeccable source" that a deal has been done.

My guess it that the source is Mark Kleiman, Scullys former manager.

Kleiman spent many years at Collingwood and is a good friend of Eddies.

What i find interesting is that Kleiman has now left Velocity sports, Scullys management group,( maybe just after doing his last big deal?)

Edited by DeeZee

You all realise we are going to go through this same GWS carp AGAIN next year

I don't know why the AFL gave GWS an extra year to have a go at uncontracted players, I hope they will regret it

I think they feel this will soften us up for free-agency to follow shortly. By that stage I'll have no teeth to gnash anyway.

What i find interesting is that Kleiman has now left Velocity sports, Scullys management group,( maybe just after doing his last big deal?)

Eddie said in his original segment (i.e. last week when the story broke) that he has "heard nothing from management", so I doubt his source would be as rock solid as Kleiman himself.

This is hypothetical masturbation.

I have recently (yesterday) had contact with one of our players. He is a close friend of TS. He says that he would bet his last dollar that TS has not signed with GWS. No one can be certain whether or not his management has talked to GWS but this player doubts it very much.

He also says: TS 'loves' the MFC, TS is a very close to his family and that his commitment to improving his game is unbelievable.

None of this guarantees anything, but it is all positive feedback.

I can't understand what you gain from posting in this thread, ADC.

Are you even a demons supporter?

Do you get off on the schadenfreude of the whole situation?

Frankly, it's pathetic and counter-productive to spread this irrational fear and anxiety.

You are merely doing Gubby Allan's bidding.

In fact, from now on, those that take such a stance shall be referred to by me as Gubby's henchmen.

And you're henchman número uno.

I think it's fair to say that GWS will definitely be interested, and will definitely be able to put a better deal on the table, which for 99% of people would be done deal

Please do not dispute those 3 points, you can't

I'll dispute some of your claims, quite easily.

1. GWS would be interested.

2. GWS will not be able to put a better deal on the table.

They are able to offer more MONEY, but in every other aspect they lose out to MFC.

Lifestyle, teammates, proximity to family, and childhood mates, finals prospects, home crowds, venue, liveability of the city, training facility, options outside of football.

3. For 99% of people it would not be a done deal.

You are basing his decision on what you would do.

A lot of people not in the AFL system may agree with you.

Not all. Some place quality of life a higher priority over money.

A lot of AFL players would and have disagreed with you.

Most men that make it to AFL level make it because they are motivated by other things than money.

In a professional team environment, you become very close to your teammates.

In some cases, Scully would be burning guys that have been his close mates through his formative years.

And the choice seems more obvious for us - who wouldn't want an extra $400K?

But when you already get $500K... How much money do you really want?

Does Scully seem to you the type of kid that wants a posse and a Bentley and penthouse apartments in NY?

To me he seems like a simple family-oriented kid that loves playing footy with his mates.

I doubt an extra $300K or $400K holds the same appeal for him.

He already has his dream job and will be getting paid handsomely to do it.

All he'd be doing is bringing negatives into his life in return for money that he probably doesn't even really want.

The decision is obvious.

Now we're using our Free agency warchest on $cully,this kid is starting to Pi$$ me off!!

We offer what he's worth,not a cent more and if he's too money hungry,well i'll pay for his flight to GW$hithole.

I'm loving Jack Trengove's attitude for signing a 3 year deal and taking what he's worth.

Now we're using our Free agency warchest on $cully,this kid is starting to Pi$$ me off!!

We offer what he's worth,not a cent more and if he's too money hungry,well i'll pay for his flight to GW$hithole.

I'm loving Jack Trengove's attitude for signing a 3 year deal and taking what he's worth.

I vehemently dislike this post.

"The Tom Scully to GWS Guide for Dummies" available for $9.99 at all good bookstores.

This is obviously a crucial topic for the Melbourne Football Club, and it's no surprise to me that this thread is as well worn as it currently is. A few points to clarify the situation from my vantage point (some of this is just packaging much of what's been said by others into burger format) and hopefully quell some of the desires for a group hara kiri session, and apologies for providing no new info;

1. There seems to be a feeling among some the general populace that Scully is gone because he hasn't re-signed yet or made a public statement, or that he has actally already signed with GWS. As earlier noted - the statement from his management WAS the public statement. Good sporting clubs don't do their contract negotiations through the media, and that was a fairly unique statement in light of the growing unrest amongst the Melbourne faithful. Secondly, there is no way known he would have already signed with GWS. Unless he physically combusts, his value is only going to increase as the season progresses. Signing with them this early is only in the best interest of GWS, and duds Scully. It is a simple matter of giving himself the best chance at a bigger contract by improving on-field performance over the course of his current contract. It is completely reasonable that Tom is allwed to do this. I think all along it would have been his intention to conduct his contract negotiations in the second half of 2011, and that the current media hysteria would be somewhere between irritating and quite disconcerting for him. I'm not hanging out for him to make an announcement on a live news cross, but then again I don't think he'll leave.

2. That Scully will go because the money will be too much to refuse. I'm trying to recall good players who have left clubs in the last few years and their (supposed) motivations for doing so. Judd left WC because of 'player culture' and chose his club based on money. Ablett certainly had financial reasons to leave but was increasingly unhappy at Geelong and could play with his brother at GC. Bruce - not offered more than 1 year at Melbourne. Scott Thompson - went home for family reasons. Fev - nutcase. Burgoyne - Choco and Port growing on the nose. I'm sure there are many more examples, but you get the point. The reality is, that for a player to want to move, there is almost always an unhappiness with their current club. I don't know Tom personally, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Let's say he is offered $800k by GWS and $500k by Melbourne. That's a lot different than the difference between $100k and $400k. I can't see a professional footballer purely leaving for a bigger contract when all the other intangibles are in favour of staying with the current club. If Scully is happy at Melbourne, and we're not disgracefully miserly in contract negotiations, I think he'll stay.

3. Ultimately, we like to be in control of things, and it's frustrating that it's out of our hands. Short of hitting Andrew Demetriou in the face with a frozen mutton chop in the local supermarket, we're not really going to be able to have a positive impact on the situation. Hopefully the club continues to remain as attractive a playing destination for him as possible, and avoids unthinkably soiling itself with measures like playing him at Casey or giving him ultimatums. Happy Scully = Demon Scully. Just remember the positives. All GWS have to offer is extra money. We're not offering to pay him in magic beans. At Melbourne, he's got friends, family, the chance to play at the G more than 50% of the season, greater endorsement opportunities, and the opportunity to win flags in the near future, all while earning a very healthy wage.

Wow what a post, clearly you have too much time on your hands. Pantaloons, dont believe everything that comes from management companies they tell you what suites their client and that is not always the truth. The AFL has allowed a loophole for players to sign with GWS, but players and managers are not allowed to reveal who until the end of the particular players season. Hence managers are forced to tell lies or miss truths.

To say Scully will be dudded if he has signed with GWS already is just crazy. If he has signed for the reported $6mil over six years there is no way anybody could think Scully has been robbed and if they have offered him that and he has signed good luck Tom.

GWS only has money to offer Tom or anybody is not quite right in my opinion, with the money on offer players will be able to find very nice pads to live in and they will be near one of the best city's in the world ( not as good as Melbourne ) but a bloody nice place to live. GWS have the potential to be a very good side also and for somebody of Tom's age he has time on his side to develop with GWS.

Just my opinion

AoB, if you're about, could you please extend your Miranda Kerr analogy to cover the first line of those post? Frankly, I'm in need of a laugh, because it saddens me a bit that real human beings actually think in the way this poster does. A small part of me just died on the inside.

Settle down, Tom hasn't come out and said he wants more his manager will do the negotiating with the club who will pay him what they can or what they think he is worth.

So, this is precisely Gubby Allan's aim: start a rumour about Tom leaving, get supporters/the club angry with him, do something stupid like Bomber Thompson did all season, TS gets angry with us and goes and takes the money.

Don't fall for it. Tom will play great footy for us this year and we should support him in those efforts. He hasn't signed with GWS and if the players, club and supporters show him why it's worth staying, he's more likely to stay with the best team there is. But if the coach, club, supporters behave like petulant losers, he's gawn.

AND...everyone's been using the word 'resign' when they mean 're-sign'...it's scared the crap out of me a couple of times in this thread...

Could be another thread, but thought I would highjack this rather than starting a new one.

If both Scully and Sylvia are out of contract - who gets the better deal? I think it is a tough one. Sylvia is clearly the better player right now, but has been injury prone and is half way though his career. Scully looks like he could be great 10 year player, but it is early days and if his disposal does not improve he will not reach the level that Sylvia is.

I don’t' know much about list management and what players are paid, but three year contracts seem to be what Melbourne looks at for its top players (some players push and receive longer). If it is a three year contract and Sylvia is offered $500k for example, I would have Scully on $300k. The next contract would probably be the reverse, with Scully signing into his prime and Sylvia signing potentially his last.

Thoughts?

I was talking to my son about this when I was coming home from work and if they overpay Tom it will make it difficult to value the rest of the players.

What do you give Jack Trengove if you pay Tom $500k and how will Flash and Brad Green feel if they are on less than a third year player. All very much a juggling act by the Football Department.

Now we're using our Free agency warchest on $cully,this kid is starting to Pi$ me off!!

552.jpg

This thread is making me want to cry.

Stop obsessing and trust that our club is not going to roll the red carpet for Tom and GWS. We'll put up a good fight and at the end of the day, if Scully sees how bright our future is, he'll take our offer. End of story.

I was talking to my son about this when I was coming home from work and if they overpay Tom it will make it difficult to value the rest of the players.

What do you give Jack Trengove if you pay Tom $500k and how will Flash and Brad Green feel if they are on less than a third year player. All very much a juggling act by the Football Department.

Good points, but i think the whole playing group and Club must realize that Tom is the First one, the Trail blazer, to keep him we may have to over pay him now with even front ended contracts, while some others will have to take less.

But over 5-10 years this will hopefully even out. GWS are testing the water as much as anyone.

If we are to keep Tom we will have to "over pay" him somewhat because GWS are a new Bank-A Bank that doesn't exist this year.

I don't think other players will be concerned if Tom is on a good contract. We need him so we will pay (to a point obviously)

It is very hard explaining this all to kids, & why i was so proud that R Flower went right through my childhood from the age of 10-24 as a demon.

I hope Sculls does the same.