Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE TOM SCULLY TO GWS THREAD

DirtyDees DDC

I stopped reading when you said he wasn't in our top 10 and then had Maloney who as far as I know doesn't even play AFL football. Remember it's people like yourself that are fuelling an "ablett like situation"(I know I read the whole post!}

well Moloney had three years in the injury wilderness. In the other three he finished 2nd 4th and 6th in the B+F so to suggest that right now Tom Scully is more important on game day is clearly wrong

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read every post in this thread.

I don't know whether I deserve a medal or should be institutionalized.

I'm leaning to the latter.

I agree the later and I too have read every post and will be there with you !

well Moloney had three years in the injury wilderness. In the other three he finished 2nd 4th and 6th in the B+F so to suggest that right now Tom Scully is more important on game day is clearly wrong

I don't think it's clearly wrong at all, Scully is a Jet & if we need to pay him well to keep him at the MFC then so be it.

It is part of the reason the Debt was cleared by all. We can now play the game.

Watch the Bulldogs game again if you doubt Tom's value in any way C & B

Let's assume for the moment Tom Scully goes. He will go at a ridiculous price for a teenager. We will get two first round draft picks in return at a time when our top 8 rivals wont get any. Further, Scully staying would require us to pay him a stupid salary which would only encourage our much more talented youngsters than him to make similar demands.

At the moment, in terms of value to the teams overall I don't think he is even in our top ten: I'd put Green, Jurrah, Watts, Petterd, Grimes, Sylvia, jamar, davey, Maloney, Frawley all ahead of him. Furthermore, we have a surplus of elite mid fielders - it is not where our weakness is. I'd rather let him go, let him play for a sub standard team which can't and won't hurt us, and we get a further march on our rivals by getting two elite picks which will not be available to them.

I'm also very much aware the club these days are very concerned about the club culture. Giving in to GWS blackmail is not culturally where we want to be.

I say the sooner we can get an answer out of him and his management the sooner we will be able to plan productively for the future, but to allow an albett situation to develop is not where we want to be.

Who agrees?

Scully is much more valuable to us than Moloney or Petterd, for a start.

Arguably already a better player too (definitely in my opinion).

We do NOT have a surplus of elite mids.

We have a surplus of promising talented kids who could potentially play in the midfield.

Scully has in one season shown he belongs there as a general. You undersell him terribly.

We could get 2 x 1st round picks for him, sure.

They could end up being Jarrad Oakley-Nichols and James Sellar.

Or Daniel O'Keefe and Beau Dowler.

Or Marcus Drum and Adam Thomson.

Or John Meesen and Danny Meyer.

All 1st round picks.

Instead of Scully.

The last bolded part is incorrect.

It is irrelevant until the end of the season.

This is only an issue in the minds of frustrated and frenzied supporters.

Get over it.

Chances are we won't know until late in the season, at earliest, no matter how much hand-wringing you engage in.

I agree with the idea something needs tobe done sooner rather than later.

Scully is full of promise but he is only one. I certainly would rather he stay.

Im in the Roos camp on all this. why wold you bother conditioning a bloke just for another club. Thats plainly foolhardy. Someone else could be developing and gelling in that time-frame.

Moloney pretty well spelt it out...youre either for..or against us.. The sooner we know the better.. I still have a gut feeling he'll sort thi sout sooner rather than later. He needs to..

Hes not the Mesiah hes just a very talented boy !! We wont get two round 1 picks. On what basis.. Maybe two picks a round 1 and round 2. Hes not established..hes won nothing..its all subjective conjecture as to how good or fantastic he may become. I would like to find out him wearing Red and Blue, but if not so be it.

Hes a rising star in every sense of the description but hes still 19. He needs guidance. . The club will probaly be formulating a 'kid glove' approach going forward. But in its own interest it needs to know.. Even now hes being paid by the club. We ( mfc) have a vested interest to know his thinking, even if its just his thinking at the moment.

Hopefully Harrington will assemble a decent ( and appropriate ) 3 year contract and he can mull on that. To offer anyone 5 years would be plainly irresponsible.

Tom, hope you want to be a Dee, truly. I respect you as a mature upstanding type of guy with many redeeming qualities.

Well.....what is it to be ??

Here we go again...

To those that think I can be wearied until I give up...

(Chuckle) You're new to Demonland.

He hasn't signed.

We will keep him.

He is a generational talent.

This isn't your fathers club - the MFC keeps its best players and will win flags.

I agree with the idea something needs tobe done sooner rather than later.

Scully is full of promise but he is only one. I certainly would rather he stay.

Im in the Roos camp on all this. why wold you bother conditioning a bloke just for another club. Thats plainly foolhardy. Someone else could be developing and gelling in that time-frame.

Moloney pretty well spelt it out...youre either for..or against us.. The sooner we know the better.. I still have a gut feeling he'll sort thi sout sooner rather than later. He needs to..

Hes not the Mesiah hes just a very talented boy !! We wont get two round 1 picks. On what basis.. Maybe two picks a round 1 and round 2. Hes not established..hes won nothing..its all subjective conjecture as to how good or fantastic he may become. I would like to find out him wearing Red and Blue, but if not so be it.

Hes a rising star in every sense of the description but hes still 19. He needs guidance. . The club will probaly be formulating a 'kid glove' approach going forward. But in its own interest it needs to know.. Even now hes being paid by the club. We ( mfc) have a vested interest to know his thinking, even if its just his thinking at the moment.

Hopefully Harrington will assemble a decent ( and appropriate ) 3 year contract and he can mull on that. To offer anyone 5 years would be plainly irresponsible.

Tom, hope you want to be a Dee, truly. I respect you as a mature upstanding type of guy with many redeeming qualities.

Well.....what is it to be ??

Don't equate asking for a trade to Carlton to deferring contract talks to seasons end.

They are not the same.

Not even for all intents and purposes...

Here we go again...

probably

To those that think I can be wearied until I give up...

(Chuckle) You're new to Demonland.

probably youknow what relevance that has

He hasn't signed.

Ahh..relevance... no he hasnt ( to our knowledge)

We will keep him.

Crytal Balling ?? You cant possibly know that. Ridiculous comment.

He is a generational talent.

yes

This isn't your fathers club - the MFC keeps its best players and will win flags.

Some sort of Motherhood statement ?? Yep kept Ron..yes sirree.Well actually NO..Kept lots of folks..oh hang on no we didnt !! Theres a list and you know it

Last flag would be 47 years ago...your point there ?

Don't equate asking for a trade to Carlton to deferring contract talks to seasons end.

They are not the same.

Not even for all intents and purposes...

what exactly are you on about...where do I suggest Carlton ?

again ??

If I gave any more evidence BB I'd be stepping in my own footmarks.

The 'fathers' comment is to say that those who say we are destined for calamity are placing the inadequacies of the past onto the MFC of today.

An MFC that I know you are bullish about.

Bringing up our dearth of finals appearances between '65 and 86' for example (which was brought up earlier in this thread) is of zero relevance to discussions of the MFC today.

I mean, that barren streak is now longer ago the streak itself (22 years, 24 years ago).

That is what I meant.

This.

Brent said this after McLean asked to be traded to Carlton.

You are applying it to the situation with Tom.

I say unfairly.

BB, I have a question for you:

Why is it so important that the situation is sorted out sooner rather than later?

I agree that it is preferable that it is sorted out soon.

But I see no issue with waiting all season.

Surely it is only the frenzied supporters who see it as necessary.

If I gave any more evidence BB I'd be stepping in my own footmarks.

The 'fathers' comment is to say that those who say we are destined for calamity are placing the inadequacies of the past onto the MFC of today.

An MFC that I know you are bullish about.

Bringing up our dearth of finals appearances between '65 and 86' for example (which was brought up earlier in this thread) is of zero relevance to discussions of the MFC today.

I mean, that barren streak is now longer ago the streak itself (22 years, 24 years ago).

That is what I meant.

I mentioned that in relation to MFCSS you are quoting way out of context sir

I mentioned that in relation to MFCSS you are quoting way out of context sir

I recall you trying to defend it's existence by putting that 'evidence' of our 'hard knock life'.

Out of context?

Our poor confidence as a supporter body is behind this holistic hand-wringing contest we find ourselves in.

It's decidedly in context.

I recall you trying to defend it's existence by putting that 'evidence' of our 'hard knock life'.

Out of context?

Our poor confidence as a supporter body is behind this holistic hand-wringing contest we find ourselves in.

It's decidedly in context.

I stated that MFCSS is a totally real and understandable syndrome that can only be treated with Bex

Decades of being shizen, having few stars and nearly folding has produced a jaded supporter group and I don't think anyone deserves to be sneered at for being of that disposition

That's all

I stated that MFCSS is a totally real and understandable syndrome that can only be treated with Bex

Decades of being shizen, having few stars and nearly folding has produced a jaded supporter group and I don't think anyone deserves to be sneered at for being of that disposition

That's all

Not sneering, re-educating.

The best way to get over what some of you are having trouble with is to 'fake it until you make it' (to borrow a well-worn American quote). Have some confidence in the people that run the club (I dare say you already do...) and don't be swayed by nothing more than (I believe) deliberately released and targeted innuendo.

This is as 'WYL' as I get when it comes to conspiracies but I believe the people that have started this rumour intend it to force us into a corner and enrage the fan base into placing undue pressure on one of OUR best players.

They are shaking the tree and hoping one of the apples is our ripe Tom.

Not sneering, re-educating.

The best way to get over what some of you are having trouble with is to 'fake it until you make it' (to borrow a well-worn American quote). Have some confidence in the people that run the club (I dare say you already do...) and don't be swayed by nothing more than (I believe) deliberately released and targeted innuendo.

This is as 'WYL' as I get when it comes to conspiracies but I believe the people that have started this rumour intend it to force us into a corner and enrage the fan base into placing undue pressure on one of OUR best players.

They are shaking the tree and hoping one of the apples is our ripe Tom.

you could well be right

I honestly couldn't be happier with Schwab as CEO, Stynes as President and Bailey as coach, with Connolly in there too. All 4 seem to be doing an incredible job at turning us around God bless em

We need to deliver though, we need to be a top 4 side for several consecutive years and win a flag, and Scully is a rather large piece of that IMO

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dees-must-brush-scullywags-aside-20110211-1aqm4.html

Did nobody on here pay any attention to this article? Did anybody even read it?

I hope this thread dies quickly and people take heed of Garry's advice.

It's like he has written that as post for this very thread isn't it

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dees-must-brush-scullywags-aside-20110211-1aqm4.html

Did nobody on here pay any attention to this article? Did anybody even read it?

I hope this thread dies quickly and people take heed of Garry's advice.

He's pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. We're heading in a very good direction and players want to be part of that.

It's like he has written that as post for this very thread isn't it

And he also touches on having confidence in those running the club.

It really is the best headspace to be in.

The article should probably be a sticky as we will have rumours pop up throughout the year as Gubby Allan continues to shake our tree.

To answer why any imperative to sooner (much) rather than later:

I read Garry's article. It's very good. Healthy perspective.if only it was that straightforward..

There are a number of ways to look at this. Some will see varying relevance; some possibly none lol.

Today football is big business. Players are the ingredients in a complex recipe. You plan success upon the nurturing and realization of the various 'crops' year to year. Much effort , time and certainly not least, money is invested. The players are the fruit of all this.

One view, ripening fruit for your adversaries can't be looked upon as terribly clever.

Another:

You're an employer. Your staff / team members are your greatest asset. Would you knowingly upsikill someone if you were aware they were to defect to your competition? Be honest here, of course not. You put those resources behind someone who is going to give a return. Win/win

Whilst Garry, Dean , Jimma et all utter the 'good talk' of eyes on the ball and these things work out it's really a front. A front for denial.

Look at Geelong, they went completely off the boil last season. Yes some may attribute a little to two-face Thompson but without doubt it was the uncertainty surrounding Abblett. There team was even more cemented than ours is yet and still it gnawed away. Despite any efforts of club or players the media has it's bone and won't let it alone.

Do you seriously think this will die down just because those involved would like? No chance in he'll.

There's a great big elephant at the MFC and it needs to be addressed and sorted.

Were I a player I'd find it awkward . Does he want to stay or go. I have no issue should he go. It's his life. Take the money; no probs here.

I'm not going to blame him for any predicament he's in as it's the makings really of the AFL scurrilous loopholes.

Abject secrecy, from your team mates, friends, club etc is abhorrent.

Young Tom seems a fellow of outstanding character. I'm but asking him to show it. Show his cards. Play your own game not the leagues conceitful skullduggery .

The only way to truly make it go way is to dispense with it. Nullify it.

Then and only then can all get onwith things without looking over shoulders and second guessing.

I fully acknowledge the intent and sincerity behind the stiff upper chin approach but it's really just putting off today's dealings for tomorrows pain.

We all know what "contract negotiations at seasons end" really translates to.

You need to know where all stand.

Edited by belzebub59

Look at Geelong, they went completely off the boil last season.

They finished 2 premiership points off top spot and lost to the eventual premiers in the prelim. There was one or two sides simply better than them for the season. If that's 'completely off the boil' you need a Bex

Also, we are not Geelong, we are Melbourne.