• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE TOM SCULLY TO GWS THREAD

DirtyDees DDC

This is amazing and sadly only Tom Scully can stop all this.

Will he? Yes, when it is confirmed he is a GWS player.

Eddie McGuire, Mark Kleiman, Velocity. Come on Tom gives us something, anything, a comment that tells us nothing will be at least something in this case as everyone is saying something except you.

I find that disappointing.

I have full faith in the footy dept and what a job they have done. Hard to do that job when players sign for other teams without any knowledge.

And if my pessimism is wrong? That's great too.

All of this really consolidates for me just how important the jumper is.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am confident that Melbourne will be in premiership contention in the next 5 or so years. Scully, of course, would be a great addition to the club during the next few years but if he decides to go, then so be it. Too much pressure has been placed on his head, and this experience alone could be detrimental to his performance. And since he is playing with MFC this year for certain, that is not a good thing.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jim-stynes-backs-tom-scully-to-stay-with-melbourne-demons/story-e6frf9jf-1226005959950

Another article about this situation. Jimmy talking about debt demolition and having more cash (i.e., 100% of salary cap) to use to keep players.

Ostensibly about front-loading to create space in the cap in the next year or the year after that.

It would truly be a brilliant move.

Nothing could ignite the passion of our supporter group like the seemingly-certain prospect of losing our young future star, then the elation of retaining him.

Wickedly delicious.

Agree there. Memberships could spike as a result.

Tom Scully is getting seriously overhyped around here.

From what I have seen so far, he is an exceptional athlete, with an extremely professional attitude, with poor disposal. He had a good first year, but not an extraordinarily good first year. I'd put Watts, Trengrove, Sylvia, Grimes and Frawley ahead of him in value to the club over the next five years.

I'd hate to lose him, he will at least be a good player, but after reading some of this it sounds like he is by far the most talented player in the competition, which currently, in my opinion, he is not.

Fair post. Many other players have had better first years, for example Rioli with the Hawks, playing in a Premiership and starring in many games along the way. However the evidence appears strong that Tom will have a great AFL career and we can only hope that it is in red and blue.

Wow.

I didn't closely read DC's post the first time around.

I thought you were referring to the fact it would NOT be considered credible deniability.

That's ludicrous.

Just repeating. The only thing Tom could claim to know first-hand is whether he has signed an AFL contract.

Beyond that he can say "my management handle that, I don't get personally involved, I just focus on my footy"

Thats all I was saying. Apart from signing (or not) a contract he can claim credible deniability to all the rest

I'm not saying he will claim CD or should. I just responded to some other posters comment which I've now forgotten

Bottom line was supposed to mean the statement was Tom's management not Tom's words and I don't trust Player Managers not to twist the truth a little (or a lot).

Just repeating. The only thing Tom could claim to know first-hand is whether he has signed an AFL contract.

Beyond that he can say "my management handle that, I don't get personally involved, I just focus on my footy"

Thats all I was saying. Apart from signing (or not) a contract he can claim credible deniability to all the rest

I'm not saying he will claim CD or should. I just responded to some other posters comment which I've now forgotten

Bottom line was supposed to mean the statement was Tom's management not Tom's words and I don't trust Player Managers not to twist the truth a little (or a lot).

I agree with all comments about players managers - except for a player to say I don't get involved or deny knowledge just doesn't hold water - at the end of the day any problem or issue falls to the player - when the manager sets up an arrangement that falls foul of the AFL ( and in particular the ATO) the player will wears it.Go back to all the footballers who had large tax bills arising from out of cap payments - their accountants werent charged the excess and fines- it was the players.

If a player stood in front of the "camera's" and tried credible deniability " I didn't know what my manager was doing" I would suggest he would be absolutely lambasted by the media - and rightly so.

Is this thread still going strong?

There's nothing new to report! Scully is still at the club (and will remain there for many years, in spite of the panic-stricken mob's predictions of doom)

That's fair enough then DaisyCutter.

I thought you meant Scully could then credibly deny that he had said no contract had been signed, when his management made the statement on his behalf.

That's a little bit too clear cut for him to weasel out of (not that I think he would even try).

Is this thread still going strong?

There's nothing new to report! Scully is still at the club (and will remain there for many years, in spite of the panic-stricken mob's predictions of doom)

Wrong. I'm not panic stricken at all.

A realist. Just look away

Edited by Demon Hill

Wrong. I'm not panic stricken at all.

A realist. Just look away

To continually ignore logic and listen to the fear-mongers makes you anything but a realist.

Delusional maybe.

So far we have realists, the pragmatic, the paranoid, the pesimistic, the deluded etc, but the biggest demographic on this thread are the Ostriches. They never see or hear anything coming because they got their heads buried in the sand.

Edited by america de cali

To continually ignore logic and listen to the fear-mongers makes you anything but a realist.

Delusional maybe.

what are you talking about, you have no more evidence to suggest he is staying than anyone that says he is going has... and there is every reason to fear it... you will look a bit silly with your condescension if he goes won't you

This thread needs a poll! I certainly don't know what to make of the situation. There is certainly arguments for and against TS going that have merit; but as nothing is final yet, I guess waiting for official announcements remains the most appropriate thing to do. I really cannot envisage him in that horrible GWS jumper though, so hope the ol' instinct is on par.

So far we have realists, the pragmatic, the paranoid, the pesimistic, the deluded etc, but the biggest demographic on this thread are the Ostriches. They never see or hear anything coming because they got their heads buried in the sand.

So Genius, if he has gone what would you plan to do about it??

You can get het up over it but I know one thing for certain. Nothing you do will change the outcome one bit. So feel free to fret and 'come to terms' with whatever it is that is going to happen. IN fact you can do it on behalf of all of us. Just don't worry about posting about it :)

what are you talking about, you have no more evidence to suggest he is staying than anyone that says he is going has... and there is every reason to fear it... you will look a bit silly with your condescension if he goes won't you

I won't put words into E25's mouth but maybe elaborate as I see it

What I know

- I have no idea if he is going to go or stay

What I think I know

- Large money offer from GWS would be a very tempting reason to go

- Lots of good reasons to stay - the home factor and the MFC going places factor and hopefully not too huge a

salary difference

What seems totally illogical to me and I just can't get my head around

- A six year contract ?

- $1M a season - the paper this morning (HUN) had it down to $800K a year - that just a lazy $200K difference

- $3M front end loaded - wow

- Signed up already - why ? just makes no sense to do so

How can anyone see what's coming? Unless you have factual proof, one way or the other, you can only surmise and that's what everyone is doing. Do you think he will leave and if you do why? Do you have anything concrete to add or are you like the rest of us and have NFI?

There is no point in suggesting that others have it wrong unless you know for sure they have, well do you?

So Genius, if he has gone what would you plan to do about it??

Not my responsibility, ask Dean and Cam. But I'm sure they would just get on and deal with our destiny and no doubt appreciate the salary cap relief to reward those that truely want to play for us if this is this case.

"The Tom Scully to GWS Guide for Dummies" available for $9.99 at all good bookstores.

This is obviously a crucial topic for the Melbourne Football Club, and it's no surprise to me that this thread is as well worn as it currently is. A few points to clarify the situation from my vantage point (some of this is just packaging much of what's been said by others into burger format) and hopefully quell some of the desires for a group hara kiri session, and apologies for providing no new info;

1. There seems to be a feeling among some the general populace that Scully is gone because he hasn't re-signed yet or made a public statement, or that he has actally already signed with GWS. As earlier noted - the statement from his management WAS the public statement. Good sporting clubs don't do their contract negotiations through the media, and that was a fairly unique statement in light of the growing unrest amongst the Melbourne faithful. Secondly, there is no way known he would have already signed with GWS. Unless he physically combusts, his value is only going to increase as the season progresses. Signing with them this early is only in the best interest of GWS, and duds Scully. It is a simple matter of giving himself the best chance at a bigger contract by improving on-field performance over the course of his current contract. It is completely reasonable that Tom is allwed to do this. I think all along it would have been his intention to conduct his contract negotiations in the second half of 2011, and that the current media hysteria would be somewhere between irritating and quite disconcerting for him. I'm not hanging out for him to make an announcement on a live news cross, but then again I don't think he'll leave.

2. That Scully will go because the money will be too much to refuse. I'm trying to recall good players who have left clubs in the last few years and their (supposed) motivations for doing so. Judd left WC because of 'player culture' and chose his club based on money. Ablett certainly had financial reasons to leave but was increasingly unhappy at Geelong and could play with his brother at GC. Bruce - not offered more than 1 year at Melbourne. Scott Thompson - went home for family reasons. Fev - nutcase. Burgoyne - Choco and Port growing on the nose. I'm sure there are many more examples, but you get the point. The reality is, that for a player to want to move, there is almost always an unhappiness with their current club. I don't know Tom personally, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Let's say he is offered $800k by GWS and $500k by Melbourne. That's a lot different than the difference between $100k and $400k. I can't see a professional footballer purely leaving for a bigger contract when all the other intangibles are in favour of staying with the current club. If Scully is happy at Melbourne, and we're not disgracefully miserly in contract negotiations, I think he'll stay.

3. Ultimately, we like to be in control of things, and it's frustrating that it's out of our hands. Short of hitting Andrew Demetriou in the face with a frozen mutton chop in the local supermarket, we're not really going to be able to have a positive impact on the situation. Hopefully the club continues to remain as attractive a playing destination for him as possible, and avoids unthinkably soiling itself with measures like playing him at Casey or giving him ultimatums. Happy Scully = Demon Scully. Just remember the positives. All GWS have to offer is extra money. We're not offering to pay him in magic beans. At Melbourne, he's got friends, family, the chance to play at the G more than 50% of the season, greater endorsement opportunities, and the opportunity to win flags in the near future, all while earning a very healthy wage.

How can anyone see what's coming? Unless you have factual proof, one way or the other, you can only surmise and that's what everyone is doing. Do you think he will leave and if you do why? Do you have anything concrete to add or are you like the rest of us and have NFI?

There is no point in suggesting that others have it wrong unless you know for sure they have, well do you?

All I can suggest is read his manager's statement carefully. Disect it word for word. Then you may get some FI

I won't put words into E25's mouth but maybe elaborate as I see it

What I know

- I have no idea if he is going to go or stay

What I think I know

- Large money offer from GWS would be a very tempting reason to go

- Lots of good reasons to stay - the home factor and the MFC going places factor and hopefully not too huge a

salary difference

What seems totally illogical to me and I just can't get my head around

- A six year contract ?

- $1M a season - the paper this morning (HUN) had it down to $800K a year - that just a lazy $200K difference

- $3M front end loaded - wow

- Signed up already - why ? just makes no sense to do so

I agree with all that, but there is so much more to it too.

All I can suggesst is read his manager's statement carefully. Disect it word for word. Then you may get some FI

I've read the statement and it requires you to make assumptions if you want to get at your particular brand of conspiracy. If you read it and make those assumptions then you really are admitting that you have NFI.

If you want to interpret it as being code for we done this deal and we are stalling to get to the end of the season, you can. If you want to interpret it as we have spoken to GWS but we haven't made a deal as yet but will, you can. If you want to interpret it as we haven't spoken to GWS and we are really serious about that, you can.

Whichever way you want you can, but it depends on you and how you view the credibility of the person/persons that made it. No one knows and no one will until they say conclusively that he has signed with us or with them. You have any other information that would alter that?

Delusional maybe.

How's the fly's taste today E? Mate your quicker to snap than a venus trap!

Sorry for ignoring the logic, I wasn't aware that there was a hint of logic in any of this and thus don't concern myself with it.

He is gone.