WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BILLY STRETCH

e25

When is the under 18's finals it's usually around this time of year isn't it?

It's in to week 4 at the moment, have seen a couple of games and along with others have been putting some updates on the 2014 National Draft thread

• Like 1

It's in to week 4 at the moment, have seen a couple of games and along with others have been putting some updates on the 2014 National Draft thread

Are games streamed anywhere on the interwebs?

• Like 1

Are games streamed anywhere on the interwebs?

Some will be on fox apparently. I might get to some of the Simonds Stadium games.

http://www.afl.com.au/u18s

Ok what have I missed in the last 10 pages (without having to read through and dissect the quality info), can someone summarize the important posts? ;)

Sure..

There you go.

You're welcome.

• Like 5

For those who have missed it:

Round Opp Player D K H G B CM UM T CL C FF FA CP UP I50 A EFF 1 WA B.Stretch 15 9 6 0 1 0 5 1 1 1 0 0 3 12 5 0 67% 2 VC B.Stretch 24 15 9 0 1 0 5 3 2 1 1 0 8 16 3 1 75% 3 WA B.Stretch 19 14 5 0 0 0 4 1 1 3 2 0 8 11 5 1 74% 4 VM B.Stretch 14 6 8 0 0 0 4 3 1 1 1 0 5 9 2 0 86%

Things to read in to it:

He is among the top disposal getters and efficiency for SA (and for the comp).

He isn't laying a lot of tackles for U 18 comp

He isn't giving away any frees

A lot of uncontested possessions

No contested marks.

A HEAP of inside 50s

Great kick to handball ratio and he is a good kick

For those who have missed it:

Round Opp Player D K H G B CM UM T CL C FF FA CP UP I50 A EFF 1 WA B.Stretch 15 9 6 0 1 0 5 1 1 1 0 0 3 12 5 0 67% 2 VC B.Stretch 24 15 9 0 1 0 5 3 2 1 1 0 8 16 3 1 75% 3 WA B.Stretch 19 14 5 0 0 0 4 1 1 3 2 0 8 11 5 1 74% 4 VM B.Stretch 14 6 8 0 0 0 4 3 1 1 1 0 5 9 2 0 86%

Things to read in to it:

He is among the top disposal getters and efficiency for SA (and for the comp).

He isn't laying a lot of tackles for U 18 comp

He isn't giving away any frees

A lot of uncontested possessions

No contested marks.

A HEAP of inside 50s

Great kick to handball ratio and he is a good kick

like his dad

Exactly what we need ... pace, skills, line breaker and goalkicking ability. Sure he is not Jones or Viney but you need outside runners to hit the scoreboard.

Completely agree. We need the quicker outside flanker types. We have Blease but he isn't setting the world on fire at the moment.

Completely agree. We need the quicker outside flanker types. We have Blease but he isn't setting the world on fire at the moment.

He seems to be in the VFL' bests' every week.

He seems to be in the VFL' bests' every week.

with the speed Blease has Roos would only need half an excuse to get him in the side, he clearly has some big holes in his game still

• Like 2

What have you seen? How many of his last 5 games?

I know this may sound sacrilegious, but the descriptions and stats don't excite me. he sounds speculative. there is just few purely outside players who survive in todays game. doesn't mean he won't make it but you need to be pretty special and also have the body to survive AFL footy.

don't get me wrong I will follow with interest like everyone else, but even then he will take a few years to develop by the sounds of it.

The Hill brothers, Lewis Jetta and Andrew Gaff spring to mind. Anyway, nobody is totally outside.

From watching a few hawks games this year I believe that Suckling and BIrchall would have about 1 hard ball get between them for the year.

Still they all play there role which hopefully young Billy will have shortly..... pending of course his ability to maintain his drug & alcohol addiction along with being a sexual deviate.

Would be shocked if anyone would want him in the draft :blink:

Fact of the matter is that, from all of the reports, he is among the better players in a major contender for the championship and is possibly on track for All Australian selection. Moreover, why do people categorise him at this early stage of his career, as purely "inside"?

I've been following this level of football for some years now and I've seen plenty of instances of players whose description when 17 years of age has not matched their style by the time they have spent a few years on the AFL stage. Look at our most recent #1 draft choices for example. Jack Watts was at one stage going to be a super KPF while Voldemort was supposed to be everything you could wish for in a midfielder. There are lots of other examples.

Still, if all the scouts give Stretch the thumbs down, I would be very happy to snap him up as a third rounder based on what I have read and seen about him to date.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I popped into the Cattery yesterday to grab my first look at Billy live.

There is no way he will slip to us for a third round pick. We would have to trade our second round pick for this to be possible.

The kid is a gem. Quick, poised, evasive and a good ball user.

What I was most impressed in was his ability to gut run both offensively and defensively. He covers the ground really well and ran arch to arch all day. He finds ways to involve himself in play through hard work and no shortage of smarts.

He drifted forward and took a great contested mark, finishing with a goal, he ran the wings aggressively, providing run and involving himself in many rebound 50s.

There seemed to be a very low stoppage count throughout the game, the few he was involved in he set up aprox 5-10 meters off the stoppage so as to best utilise his pace.

Over all I was very impressed with his game. He will be a ripper and well worth a second round pick.

• Like 16

His dad was known for being a silky-type, pace and definitely more of an outside type.

The 2 things i want to know is, 1 - what is his pace and endurance like (seeing as he's able to run the wings pretty well), and 2 - whilst his is not an inside game, does he go when he needs to?