• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Players who didn't live up to expectations

MO FINE

Which player or player looked like becoming a star on arrival at the club but failed to live up to your expectation?

Name and reasons why and also if you know where they are now.

Special category for similar players at other clubs.

I'll kick things off with Darren Cuthbertson. Started off kicking a swag of goals in his early days but other clubs soon worked him out (he was even given the famous jumper no 9) and he faded to oblivion.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig Smoker.

16 games in 1998 with a bag of 4 in Round 3 in a close match against Brisbane.

Was too small and didnt have enough tricks, but could kick a goal.

Last year he was playing for West Perth - not sure about 2010.

The list is long and there have been many. And it all started with Diamond Jim Tilbrook for me.

Tilbrook

Ditterich

Templeton

Crosswell

Ger Healy

Warren Dean

Luke Molan

Nick Smith

Scott Thompson

Trav Johnstone

Brock McLean

....for starters

Its hard call on Cuthbertson. He was no star on arrival. He debuted in the No 48 guernsey after some good games in the ressie. Starred early where he used his one or two tricks well but got found out at VFL/AFL level and withered away. Full credit for his early games.

Ben Beams. Recall seeing him tearing it up at Princess Park before the main game in the 90's. Had no expectations on him really, just thought he might be a useful player (*no star*) in the forward pocket; thought he'd make it. My young eyes got the better of me.

Jamie Duursma. Loved the way he played. Took Kernahan to the cleaners in the '88 Prelim Final. He lived up to my expectations on that day. But I wanted to see much more of him do the same for a much longer period. Saw him up in Albury a while back - in a pub of all places :) on an end of season cricket trip. Had a good chat; good bloke.

Going back a bit - Robert Walters kicked 9 in his 13th game, including 6 in a quarter, against Essendon, the week after we were mega-hammered by Fitzroy in 1979.

The team didn't go on with it for a few years after that resilient winning effort, and neither did young Robbie. Although he did kick 7 in the return bout with Fitzroy, r.1 1980. Similar playing profile to Darren Cuthbertson.

David Cordner

looked like he had it all to become a real superstar but just faded away

Good pick up there. He was the U19 star who kicked 100+goals and looked like our answer up forward (Deja vu methinks)

Unfortunately, could not cope with the phyisical aspect of AFL and just disappeared.

Ben Beams. Recall seeing him tearing it up at Princess Park before the main game in the 90's. Had no expectations on him really, just thought he might be a useful player (*no star*) in the forward pocket; thought he'd make it. My young eyes got the better of me.

Jamie Duursma. Loved the way he played. Took Kernahan to the cleaners in the '88 Prelim Final. He lived up to my expectations on that day. But I wanted to see much more of him do the same for a much longer period. Saw him up in Albury a while back - in a pub of all places :) on an end of season cricket trip. Had a good chat; good bloke.

The most memorable thing I recall Beams doing was getting injured against Collingwood in the third qtr that allowed the Wiz to come on and kick 8 in one of the most amzing cameos I have seen.

I actually thought Duursma exceeded expectations given he was a 3 Club journeyman who played above himself in 1988.

Going back a bit - Robert Walters kicked 9 in his 13th game, including 6 in a quarter, against Essendon, the week after we were mega-hammered by Fitzroy in 1979.

The team didn't go on with it for a few years after that resilient winning effort, and neither did young Robbie. Although he did kick 7 in the return bout with Fitzroy, r.1 1980. Similar playing profile to Darren Cuthbertson.

Robert Walters was a medium sized marking forward with a good kick. Had a couple of days out but did nothing after that. Went to Collingwood and got in trouble with the law. What is it with that Club?

Can't remember the name (Rod someone?) - help me out

Was in the early 80's (maybe late 70's). Medium size forward - HF flanker

Recruited from Aints - guy had off-field issues

Could turn it on and could kick a bag. Classy when on-song, had big expectations

Played a few ripper games, became inconsistent, left after a year (I think)

went to a third club, but not much heard of after leaving dees

Can't remember the name (Rod someone?) - help me out

Was in the early 80's (maybe late 70's). Medium size forward - HF flanker

Recruited from Aints - guy had off-field issues

Could turn it on and could kick a bag. Classy when on-song, had big expectations

Played a few ripper games, became inconsistent, left after a year (I think)

went to a third club, but not much heard of after leaving dees

That would be Rod Owen

James Cook comes to mind. He joined us after a stint with the Doggies and kicked 6 goals in one match, looked like he could play and then got an ankle injury and had to retire.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Kid that was captain of the U/19's back in the 80's. Started with a "B" I think. Came with huge wraps and did nothing so we traded him.

More recently, Brent Grgic comes to mind...

He had one game at CHB where I thought he'd arrived.

Turns out he only stayed a day.

Although, I think on the back of that game we managed to swap him for Bizzell, who was handy enough.

Leigh & Michael Newton- both seemed to have the ability- but unfortunately did not produce when needed..Michael may still surprise us.I here Leigh is with the Hawks- ruch coach.

That would be Rod Owen

Yep. He was a punt when he came to MFC. Loads of talent but loads of issues. He did have one fantastic game at the G where he kicked 7 and starred.

Fabulous Phil Carman

Good get and of course how could he be forgotten.

James Cook comes to mind. He joined us after a stint with the Doggies and kicked 6 goals in one match, looked like he could play and then got an ankle injury and had to retire.

I think he did an ACL in the game after the six goals. Injury killed it for him.

Adrian Battiston?

Yes. Lacked pace and his skills got found out at the higher level.

I thought after a couple of good seasons, Greg Healy plateaued as a footballer.

Leigh & Michael Newton- both seemed to have the ability- but unfortunately did not produce when needed..Michael may still surprise us.I here Leigh is with the Hawks- ruch coach.

Leigh Newton did a knee badly and it finished him. Did not have the opportunity of Juice 2.

One more for books....Craig Turley

David Flintoff - had the nickname 'Magic' at the club, but I never saw any magic.

Scott Chisolm - came across from Freo I think. I remember talking to Brett Lovett about why we picked him up, and he said "he will be a star, just needs a new environment". He was horrible.

Byron Pickett - might have played one good game for Melbourne. I can't remember what he cost us, but I don't think it was much.

Luke Williams - I always thought he would be alright. Never clicked for him.

Byron Pickett - nothing wrong with his first season at all. Crosswell harsh call Rhino

Pickett arrived at pre season fat and unfit. Had a brief flurry of form then got injured then returned to slothful ways. His failure to attend a match as an emergency due to night before issues in his last season was an appalling slap in the face to his teammates he should have been sacked for it.

At Carlton and North, Crosswell was at times a star player. At MFC he was a shadow of that player.