Dees to give Watts VFL time

dee-luded

yep..bulk.. thats always the thign apparently..again.. Fletcher had no bulk.. he had talent.. You can work on your bulk whilst you refine your tempo and skills. They neednt be mutually exclusive

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yep..bulk.. thats always the thign apparently..again.. Fletcher had no bulk.. he had talent.. You can work on your bulk whilst you refine your tempo and skills. They neednt be mutually exclusive

your whole argument is Fletcher? That's it?

Honestly, if we wanted Watts to be a help defender that takes the oppositions least dangerous forward and to be an expert in dirty tactics, then I'd say yeah, get him in there.

This is not the case.

I don't want him in there, being thrown around like a rag doll, learning (like Josh Fraser) how to avoid contact.

We've won 3 in a row, have just belted an undefeated team by 50 points and we've kicked 35 goals (61 scoring shots) in the last 2 rounds.

Why bring in a forward who isn't playing well enough at the reserves level to demand a call up?

Again...so many make needless assertions. If hes not fit enough or match ready..then he will no doubt stay in the magoos.. What many are contesting is any need for a too longed run in the VFL. its not so much about this week or next week..but why does anyone think he possibly couldnt if fit. ?

I dont recall a certain David Neitz to have always been his hurculean presence !!

So to those that push the bulk argument.. I ask...what is the magic weight...and why?

You all suggest this..now back it !!

Neither should strngth be confused with bulk.

Cam Mooney was a bit of a gangly kid when he started out.. Didnt hurt him. Buudy was allowed to 'bulk" up and now has had to slim down a tad.

Dont go putting everyone in the same basket. If watts has teh ability , talent and fitness.. let him play at the earliest possible entry. It can only benefit him him. learning how to kick goals against the second tier is pointless..he can do that standing on his head. If its horses for courses then he needs to get off the trotting track and get with the real runners.

Again...so many make needless assertions. If hes not fit enough or match ready..then he will no doubt stay in the magoos.. What many are contesting is any need for a too longed run in the VFL. its not so much about this week or next week..but why does anyone think he possibly couldnt if fit. ?

I dont recall a certain David Neitz to have always been his hurculean presence !!

So to those that push the bulk argument.. I ask...what is the magic weight...and why?

You all suggest this..now back it !!

I don't feel the comparison with Neitz is that accurate. Neitz came in as a defender and pinch hit forward in a forward line that including Schwarz, Lyon, Jakovich and Charles. Neita had also played a full year of reserves before playing his first game and was one of the last players to come thru the old under 19 system. If we bring Watts in now then he is coming in as our number one lead up forward.

His time will come sooner rather than later but after an interrupted pre-season, the club has said he needs 4-5 weeks at a lower level to get confidence in his body and form. I feel we may see him in the side by the Carlton game.

Neither should strngth be confused with bulk.

Cam Mooney was a bit of a gangly kid when he started out.. Didnt hurt him. Buudy was allowed to 'bulk" up and now has had to slim down a tad.

Dont go putting everyone in the same basket. If watts has teh ability , talent and fitness.. let him play at the earliest possible entry. It can only benefit him him. learning how to kick goals against the second tier is pointless..he can do that standing on his head. If its horses for courses then he needs to get off the trotting track and get with the real runners.

wouldn't you prefer he proves he has the strength and the game to compete before throwing him into a winning side that Rivers can't even crack..?

Guest melbman

The one contradiction in all this is Morton, he was a featherweight when he first played, and he played continuously

If we were not winning there would be an argument for Watts to play in a similar fashion to Morton's first season, on the wing or thereabouts

I've seen Jack play a few times and seen his skills at training and feel he could come into the team and further progress his career but at this stage it is a bit of a 50/50

I wonder what would have happened if he hadn't hurt his back in preseason and we were losing

The kids got talent, he wouldnt have been in the top 2 if he didnt have something. hes tall standing at 196 and stil growing.

Talent with height is a deadly combination. just need to wait for him to put on his "man suit" so he can hit it out with the big boys...

Gunna turn into a big man, Neitz or Al' Nicholson not, or Steph Martin size, that "man suit" better not be an "Heir suit"! :)

I think a cross between Riewoldt & Wayne Carey might satisfy us. :)

Just because we are winning...is that argument sufficient to not tweak the machine resting on laurels is frought with danger.. Some may immediately counter with...if it aint broke dont fix it. I would offer that are not so un-broken that we can justify inaction or constant vigilence regarding the teams makeup.

Edited by belzebub59

This idea of being frustrated about the progress of a 6ft 5inch 18 year old who is still growing (!), upwards, is nonsensical. The draft camp objectively detailed his elite athleticism, and his football ability around draft time was talked about AFL wide. Given his current growth and age, the expectations should be kept in line with those simple facts. His body will take 2 to 3 years to mature once he has stopped growing, and that's when we'll get to see the best of him. Also given the, what we can now call, very smart recruiting of Barry Prendergast it is just ridiculously impatient and frankly ignorant to suggest there is some mistake in the whole Jack Watts situation. Patience and logic.....take some big doses and see me in the morning.

Amen.

{pre-season didn't help the Watts' chances of quickly adding to the three AFL games he played last year and football manager Chris Connolly said the club would remain patient."We're determined to let him get some real confidence and play a lot of game time at Casey to continue to develop his game," Connolly told afl.com.au.

"He's got outstanding senior AFL attributes, but he's just got to continue to build his body as he gets taller and we know that he'll make his way into the senior team at some stage."}

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/93316/default.aspx

FC DB interview in early April. At the 8 minute mark DB spells out what is required of JW. As the article re-iterates, nothing has really changed except that team success raises the bar for his selection.

Edited by Trident

Just for the record- Jack is 19 born on the 26th March 1991. He is 196 cms and still growing- the development wuth this young man is just exciting however let's all give him the chance for his body to mature before placing him against the apes like Dan Merrett etc..

Just because we are winning...is that argument sufficient to not tweak the machine resting on laurels is frought with danger.. Some may immediately counter with...if it aint broke dont fix it. I would offer that are not so un-broken that we can justify inaction or constant vigilence regarding the teams makeup.

If it's not broken why fix it- especialy when the "fix" is an 18 year old 3 gamer. Tell me who he replaces? Tell me why stuff up any kind of momentum or team consistancy we are currently building, just to give a hopeful a shot. At the same time I see merits in your arguments- Morton played first year etc- however I think we needed Morton filing a role immediately, whereas with Watts we have the luxury of waiting. And waiting isn't going to be detrimental to us.. as you say, why mess with a winning formula if it isn't needed yet?

Does anyone think Jack Watts looks like a young, in-shape Ray Mears? We're doing pretty well with Bear Grylls (Ricky Petterd) and Ray Mears (Jack Watts) on our list.

Justin Bieber

If it's not broken why fix it- especialy when the "fix" is an 18 year old 3 gamer. Tell me who he replaces? Tell me why stuff up any kind of momentum or team consistancy we are currently building, just to give a hopeful a shot. At the same time I see merits in your arguments- Morton played first year etc- however I think we needed Morton filing a role immediately, whereas with Watts we have the luxury of waiting. And waiting isn't going to be detrimental to us.. as you say, why mess with a winning formula if it isn't needed yet?

As pointed out..he's 19

He doesnt replace anyone per se..and thats the very point. we DONT have a forward setup really..its a running forward line.. i.e..the bal lis delivered with the hope there will be some personel to receive. Bate is writen in as the FF often but hes not. Neither is Green though he is rather accomplished in a fill in mode. It would make more sense to nominate Watts as a CHF but allow him in play to fal lback into the sharp end.

Do we really have a luxury of waiting. I think weve just been pretty lucky to date. This is not a type of luck youd want to go through the whole season with.

Its not really a case of its not broken..as its not really fixed in the first place. Our forward structure is more ad lib than secure. A really good defensive outfit will bring us back to earth with a real thud.

As pointed out..he's 19

He doesnt replace anyone per se..and thats the very point. we DONT have a forward setup really..its a running forward line.. i.e..the bal lis delivered with the hope there will be some personel to receive. Bate is writen in as the FF often but hes not. Neither is Green though he is rather accomplished in a fill in mode. It would make more sense to nominate Watts as a CHF but allow him in play to fal lback into the sharp end.

Do we really have a luxury of waiting. I think weve just been pretty lucky to date. This is not a type of luck youd want to go through the whole season with.

Its not really a case of its not broken..as its not really fixed in the first place. Our forward structure is more ad lib than secure. A really good defensive outfit will bring us back to earth with a real thud.

But the question is, would a VFL-level Jack Watts make us better? If our forward-line machine has not been fixed by consecutive 50 point victories in which we've scored over 100 points, then would Watts make it better? I'm not so sure.

Watts is older than both of Scully and Trengove.

2 months older than Scully, but what's your point? Everyone who's older than Scully should automatically be playing in the seniors because Scully is?

Not all players mature at the same rate. Look at Jamar.

What we can now call very smart recruiting from Barry Prendergast, it is just ridiculously impatient and frankly ignorant to suggest there is some mistake in the whole Jack Watts situation.

argee

I only believe players developments are stalled if they are playing very well at a level and have no option of a higher level. McKenzie showed he could play great VFL footy last year, which is why he's doing well at AFL level this year. Trengove did it in the SANFL, Scully would cruise through VFL footy if he got the opportunity.

I believe whilst Watts continues to play nicely without a string of strong performances that Casey is the perfect place for his development. Once he gets up to speed and plays some great VFL performances he'll get in the Melbourne side. That way he should also be in for an extended run. Chucking him in out of his depth just because he is fit and the team is playing well makes no sense to me.

I remember Shifter Sheahan saying that before the u/18's carnival he rated Jack Watts about 30ish and Jack had such a great few weeks,starring against kids that skyrocketed him up the rankings and he only went no. 1 because we needed a Key Forward.

No-one knows if Jack will turn out like Drew Petrie,Travis Cloke,Cameron Mooney or Nick Riewoldt-they all starred in the u/18's too!

Don't say he'll be much better than Petrie or Cloke because no-one knows,we all hope.

I remember Shifter Sheahan saying that before the u/18's carnival he rated Jack Watts about 30ish and Jack had such a great few weeks,starring against kids that skyrocketed him up the rankings and he only went no. 1 because we needed a Key Forward.

No-one knows if Jack will turn out like Drew Petrie,Travis Cloke,Cameron Mooney or Nick Riewoldt-they all starred in the u/18's too!

Don't say he'll be much better than Petrie or Cloke because no-one knows,we all hope.

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

Watts was long regarded as a top pick, we're you got your 30 something I don't know.

He didn't go Number 1 because we needed a Key Forward he went Number 1 because he was the "Best Available Talent" at the pick we had, which happened to be 1'

Please refrain from mentioning his name with the likes of petrie, Cloke and Mooney.

The fact is if you ever watched him play you would know that he has the ability to be a genuine superstar. You might not know that but plenty do.

Just play Jack in the VFL until he earns his spot-Make him hungry.

The Red Carpet is over for Jack now & i bet he is happy about that. Work hard Jack, eat the right foods& earn your spot in our senior team.

i want Jack to be a star, but i want him to work for it so he respects his position when it arrives. B)