THE KADATJI MAN

Demonland

Hmmm !!! some folk want to exclude our #1 pick at the expense of a never can quite make it NQR ?? :blink:

Richmond..... do they even have a defense ??. This week they will be raw...and shorter. again...look at likely matchups. We can afford to do a Doggies style forward line and go for all round ability rather than abject adherence to height.

I think Scully and Trengove might just have a day out this weekend :)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melbourne Team

Backs: McDonald, Warnock, Frawley

Half backs: Bruce, Garland, Dunn

Centreline: Trengove, Davey, Bartram

Half forwards: Green, Petterd, Jones

Forwards: Sylvia, Bate, Bail

Followers: Jamar, Grimes, Moloney

I/C From: MacDonald, McKenzie, Scully, Bennell, Newton, Cheney, Spencer

Team Changes:

In: Sylvia, Cheney, Spencer

I would have liked to see Newton, Cheney & Spencer get a game... But they will get the chance later in the season when some of the young boys (and old) will need a well deserved rest.

I do not envy the jobs of the selection panel.

I hope the boys do not come out thinking this is a win. I would love to see them come out like its a all or nothing game.

I can't understand some people, don't forget we need to continue to look at the future and getting games into players that will be on our list for the next decade. Newton has been OK for the past couple of weeks but he wont be on our list in 2011. Those are calling for Joel MacDonald to be dropped he has been fantastic in the last two weeks maybe not on the attack but he has smashed the player he was on. If you are looking for a defender to drop our worst defender at the moment is Bruce.

Newton will not be dropped... if we are to press home our advantage we will need a genuine goal scoring options up forward and like it or not, he is that option. If he doesn't play and Petterd becomes the main target, then being as slight as he is, he will be ganged up on and stand little chance. I doubt bailey will be leaving anything to chance.

Newton will not be dropped... if we are to press home our advantage we will need a genuine goal scoring options up forward and like it or not, he is that option. If he doesn't play and Petterd becomes the main target, then being as slight as he is, he will be ganged up on and stand little chance. I doubt bailey will be leaving anything to chance.

It's a reasonable case, but not as strong as Scully's case as presented by H. A combination of Sylvia and Dunn more than make up for any 'loss' we may endure by dropping Newton. There's nobody else droppable on that extended bench other than Newton and Scully (and obviously Cheney and Spencer). Newton must be out.

Rhino, if you are picking a team on form you would have to drop Bruce before any other defender. The club can't fall back into the attitude that we owe a player a game because he has been a good player. Bruce won't be dropped but he would want to start to improve in a hurry or else he will find his carrier finished like Robbo, Yze and co

Totally agree, Scully has been beyond good enough, Newton out as he serves absolutely no purpose, including the ruck.

It's a reasonable case, but not as strong as Scully's case as presented by H. A combination of Sylvia and Dunn more than make up for any 'loss' we may endure by dropping Newton. There's nobody else droppable on that extended bench other than Newton and Scully (and obviously Cheney and Spencer). Newton must be out.

Could well be the case.

Wasn't Sylvia named on the field last week before being a late withdrawal for Garland ?

Unless Sylvia is 100% to go, which is what alot may have thought last week, there is still a chance for no change.

From what I gather, Sylvia is quite ready to go. It will come down to whether or not the FD want to give him another week off I guess. Based on what is reported and having passed fit to play, they will play him.

So, based on all of that, your "out" could well be right.

Scully has performed well in his first 3 games and I see no reason to drop him. He certainly doesn't need a "rest" as someone suggested. He's the fittest at the club.

Newton will be dropped. Sylvia plays 60% forward and 40% midfield, and Dunn gives similar benefits to Newton with regards to the forward structure.

All true.

If it wasn't Richmond, though, I'd be highly concerned with having just the one ruckman, with someone like Dunn or maybe even an undercooked Garland doing the relief work.

Which means that at least next week vs Brisbane we're going to need someone else to help Jamar out.

Dunn haters back in force on Demonland.

The kid took 10 marks last week and you're going to drop him instead of Bate who was as slow and useless as Jamie Shanahan on a bad day.

If I were dropping three people it would be Bate, Scully, and Bartram.

Oh yes, 10 marks. That's enough.

Doesn't matter that he made countless errors by hand and foot and looks lost half the time.

Also doesn't matter that, in a game in which we kicked only 7 goals, Bate kicked 2. Nor that Bartram has done a good job defensively over the past 2 weeks, and runs 10 times harder than Dunn.

You owe me a round in the Bullring after the game.

:)

Might have to be half time, as soon as the Dee's finish off the Tiges I'm off to the Docklands to see the Saint's v Freo game. Have a free Medallion ticket with a few mate Saint supporters.

Scully whilst not as flashy as trenners, i think, done pretty well in his first 3 games. he hasnt been lethal or eye catching but..

Round 1: 20 disposals

Round 2: 15

Round 3: 18

averging 17.66

wouldnt do him any harm to go back to the scorps but if he is feeling fine then no point in giving him a rest

edit: rich averaged 15.25 last year, so hes getting the ball, the only way he will improve at AFL level is by playing AFL level

Gee wizz very good disposal volume. Interesting to see his efficency. The only thing you can really say he needs to work on is not giving away free kicks for push in the back. Otherwise what more can you ask for from a 1st year player????

I just think on recent history they have allowed young players a taste for approx 3 weeks then given them time at Casey or a spell. But then again the players have not been the quality of Scull and Trenners have they...

:)

Might have to be half time, as soon as the Dee's finish off the Tiges I'm off to the Docklands to see the Saint's v Freo game. Have a free Medallion ticket with a few mate Saint supporters.

wow. footy marathon. Are your saints mates going to the toiges v dees game ?

Gee wizz very good disposal volume. Interesting to see his efficency. The only thing you can really say he needs to work on is not giving away free kicks for push in the back. Otherwise what more can you ask for from a 1st year player????

I just think on recent history they have allowed young players a taste for approx 3 weeks then given them time at Casey or a spell. But then again the players have not been the quality of Scull and Trenners have they...

agreed, they havent been, the only one really comparable would be morton who played 40 games in his first 2 seasons

grimes and watts been hampered by injuries/just not ready

either way i wont be fussed, although playing them both the 1st three then drop scully for a richmond game seems a bit pointless, a 'rest' would probobly be better against brisbane next week if they went down that path.. also they have come out and said the plan is to keep them both in the 22, so straying from that would be odd versus richmond who WILL (or so my $150 @ 3.50) win the wooden spoon

sylvia in for newton seems the logical choice, as sylvia provides that focal point that newton does and jamar is up against a hack(simmonds) and a kid, so no real need for newton, even more logical considering the quick moving breaking the lines style play we are trying to implement

bench: mckenzie scully jones bennell... cant see bail starting foward pocket when bennell is on bench

Final team:

Melbourne Team

I/C: MacDonald, McKenzie, Scully, Bennell

Emergencies: Newton, Spencer, Cheney

Team Changes:

In: Sylvia

Out: Newton

This annoys me a bit, to be honest.

I think Newton has been good for us the last couple of weeks, and he gives us a target to create a contest, and then our smaller forwards/midfielders can create goals off him. Newton could have had a real crack at kicking a bag against the tigers and given him some much needed confidence to take on the rest of the year. Stupid mistake by the selection commitee in my opinion, i think Bate, Garland or even Bruce should have gone this week to free up a spot for Sylvia.

Final team:

Melbourne Team

I/C: MacDonald, McKenzie, Scully, Bennell

Emergencies: Newton, Spencer, Cheney

Team Changes:

In: Sylvia

Out: Newton

Well, I guess Newton out is the obvious choice. It'll be interesting to see how Jamar goes by himself and how Scully fares against the team he supported as a youngster. I hope he plays well.

Did Davey train this week<

He seemed hampered by some injury during the game...Any chance he being a late withdrawal?