Tigers in trouble

Brettmcg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

could thing get any worse for the Tigers. Connors McGuane in the tigers top 10 in disposals and cousins at 14.

I hope the dees do not aproach the games next week thinking its an easy beat... Doubt they will.

As the MFC finished on the bottom of the ladder the las 3 years i hope we do not consider any game easy. That's what happened during the ND years & was i believe the main cause of our inconsistant & or poor finals finishes.

Games we should have won, we lost. Sunday is a perfect example for DB & the Football Dept. to get that mind set completely eradicated (hopefully) Top Teams go out there and play good football regardless of the opposition.

That Being said Richmond are a disgrace & i hope we treat them with absolute contempt-what a shambles Team they are, so much for the new coach & new CEO.

But if we lose to Richmond all the Respect we have gained over the last 2 weeks will evaporate completely.

I say to the MFC Players-Go in Hard & attack the goals...Do it for Jimma Beat the Tigers over 4 Quarters, then walk away head held high ready for Brisbane B)

This kind of blokey binge drinking culture can ruin a club in a very short space of time.

Unfortunately it only takes one or two bad eggs to infect the rest of the group, particularly impressionable younger players.

I hope this sort of thing never happens at Melbourne.

could thing get any worse for the Tigers. Connors McGuane in the tigers top 10 in disposals and cousins at 14.

I hope the dees do not aproach the games next week thinking its an easy beat... Doubt they will.

Look at your avatar. Trust/faith restored?

All it means is if we lose, I'm just going to have to kill myself from the shame! :P

Seriously though, we can't underestimate any team. One of the biggest problems our club has faced since 2000, is succumbing to the weight of expectations and getting ahead of ourselves. How many times have we seen our team put in terrible performances when we were expected to win? The last few rounds of 2004 says it all really.

The worst mindset a team could ever have, is one of "we're going to win this easily". There are no easy games and I want us to come out and beat them in the most ruthless of fashions.

On paper, we should win comfortably by about 5 goals, but if we put forward the same effort from the last 2 weeks, we could win by 10. That is what we should be expecting.

All it means is if we lose, I'm just going to have to kill myself from the shame! :P

Seriously though, we can't underestimate any team. One of the biggest problems our club has faced since 2000, is succumbing to the weight of expectations and getting ahead of ourselves. How many times have we seen our team put in terrible performances when we were expected to win? The last few rounds of 2004 says it all really.

The worst mindset a team could ever have, is one of "we're going to win this easily". There are no easy games and I want us to come out and beat them in the most ruthless of fashions.

On paper, we should win comfortably by about 5 goals, but if we put forward the same effort from the last 2 weeks, we could win by 10. That is what we should be expecting.

Excellent post Jaded. Sums it up perfectly.

If we don't lift our game from last week then it's hardly a certainty, don't forget we were on one goal at half-time. Positives signs and the fact that half their team out is one thing but tell me the ones who come in aren't going to be going at it 110% to try and prove themselves.

VERY important to get our forward structure right and capitalise on the inevitable mistakes they'll make.

I'v been thinking this year that the Tiges are copying the template of what we did last year, as a way to rebuild.

Yep i can see us being the template for the future in rebuilding not that its rocket science but build through the draft and keep the group together playing games together (the second part we have yet to achieve but am confident not many will want to leave)

As for the topic, when will these boys learn if ya gonna have a session don't get caught out, everyone is watching!!!

It's a great feeling as a dee's fan to go into a game as clear cut favourites, but i still think its a great test to see were we are at a 3 or 4 goal win is a pass IMO (but hey i will take any sort of win)

this news is not good for Melbourne, everybody knows how hard and determined a side comes out when they have been embarrassed in the media by players.

we must get off to a good start sunday and match their intensity early or it could be over at quarter time

I am glad I am not a Richmond supporter.

What message does it send when after your team gets smashed and most should be feeling pretty ordinary with themselves, as im sure most of their fans were. Instead they are out having a good time on the booze.

What would you have thought if our players were doing this after the Hawthorn game?

Says a bit about their players to me.

I'v been thinking this year that the Tiges are copying the template of what we did last year, as a way to rebuild.

No there was worse.....

No leadership culture but a number of culture vacuums on their list in Cousins, Polak, Hislop, Polo, Connors, Taylor etc.

Still a big clean out to go in the years to come.

No access to top draft picks.

This suspension is exactly what the Tigers did not need. Its a disaster to a club on its knees.

Now what did Connors do to get eight weeks....One strike or is that two for him???

Very true. The hard thing is whether we win by 10 points or 10 goals many will think its expected. We have to work hard and please no injuries.

I dont think we took it easy in 2004....we lost Thompson, Neitz and White who had been the main drivers that year...And pop went our season.

And Collingwood said we are playing Melbourne.

Yeah, but we're playing Richmond.

:)

As fans I think we're entitled to underestimate the opposition all we like. Richmond are utter garbage, and that delights me. I hope we belt the snot out of them. Nobody complained when everyone thought we were going to get belted by Collingwood -- in that case most people overestimated the opposition, so it all balances out.

As for the team, I doubt they'll be underestimating anyone. I don't reckon they'll be even giving any thought to who they're playing. If it were me, I'd have that taste of victory still lingering in my mouth and be starving for more. If this team are like that, then we'll see another 100% effort again. The result will then take care of itself.

3 weeks ago my team played a praccy match and we won by about 80 points. This Sunday we played the same team in the first game of the season and in the first quarter they scored 6 goals to my teams 2 points because half of my team thought that it would be an easy win (which it was not, we only won by 13 points in the end) .this goes to show that if you have the wrong mentality you will fall to pieces and it ain't easy getting yourself or your team back together. Anyway I doubt the dees will go at it like that and hopefully we can come away with the 4 points!!!

GO DEES!!!!!!!

We should win by 4-5 goals. Not by much. We don't have the strength up forward still. Our mids have to step-up and kick most of our goals, and lots of them.

Suspending Ben Cousins is the best attempt at tanking since Bails put Matty Warnock at FF against the tigers in a tight 4th quarter contest.....

Tigers go in underdogs, and to be honest I think the kids that come in will be hungry to keep their spots.

Say what you like about the tigers, they are betting with house money against us and could be a handful.

They might be the awful tigers of 2010, but we were the shocking demons of 2009 and we have not done enough yet to think we are a dead cert against anyone.

That said, the dees have a good chance this week against a green tigers unit. Should be an interesting clash.

You have to remember that Richmond probably regard us as one of the few beatable teams they will face.

That's the one big concern, that they'll be desperate as this is their best chance.

Have a close look at our run though. We will still want our 6 wins that Bailey suggested we'd be getting this year. Richmond HAS to be pencilled in as one of them. Being 2 and 2 at this stage of the year gives me great confidence we've seen our last wooden spoon for a long time (Imagine if Petterd had swallowed it?)... But we still don't have a forward line. With less injuries they'd have beaten us on the weekend, and a side with a more cohesive rebounding defence will trouble us. We'll play some good footy this season against teams who don't turn up, don't get out of second gear, or who are smashed by injury...

But there'll be more games like the one against the Hawks too.

Daniel Connors was selected by Richmond with pick 58 in the 2006 National Draft when some were suggesting that he was a good enough footballer to make top 20. There was mention made at the time that he possibly had some "problems" that contributed to his later than expected selection. I suppose the Tigers thought he might change his stripes.

This shows that it's important for clubs to research their targets in drafts and even to err on the side of caution when dealing with potentially "problem" players.

We should win by 4-5 goals. Not by much. We don't have the strength up forward still.

Then 4-5 goals is a big win given our lack of strength up forward.

Suspending Ben Cousins is the best attempt at tanking since Bails put Matty Warnock at FF against the tigers in a tight 4th quarter contest.....

Well done Sherlock. Where's the incentive to tank and why would they??? :wacko: Also Cousins and co's behaviour at 3am at a major city hotel was reminiscent of Carlton's and their penalties were worse. I am not sure how they could not have issued suspensions and then told players that the Club is serious about behaviour. And for that matter, Cousins is a spent force and it is likely his off field disposition could be unravelling. Connors is a problem.

They might be the awful tigers of 2010, but we were the shocking demons of 2009 and we have not done enough yet to think we are a dead cert against anyone.

We were also the awful demons of round 1. Nothing taken for granted.

Daniel Connors was selected by Richmond with pick 58 in the 2006 National Draft when some were suggesting that he was a good enough footballer to make top 20. There was mention made at the time that he possibly had some "problems" that contributed to his later than expected selection. I suppose the Tigers thought he might change his stripes.

This shows that it's important for clubs to research their targets in drafts and even to err on the side of caution when dealing with potentially "problem" players.

Richmond seem to stockpile problem types.

The scary thing is that its all set up for a loss. I am more worried about this sundays game then I will be all year, I think. We have alot of young players in our team, and without the right guidance, they will think that they can easily win this week.... which is WRONG!

We aren't that good.. We have played well against two good teams last couple weeks, and managed a win against 19 or 20 adelaide men (not taking anything away from it).. but we cant get ahead of ourselves. If we come out, arrogant and thinking we already have the 4 points.. we will lose to the worst team in the league and everything we have worked towards will mean NOTHING.

We NEED this win and the tigers have a point to make. A team that has been battered and bruized all through the week, normally come out breathing fire. So we need to understand this and hopefully not take the foot off the pedal at all..

I hope to god, that Dean and his coaching staff arent like the majority of demonland posters, and they take this week as seriously as they did Collingwood.