CASEY SCORPIONS PREPARE

Demonland

CASEY SCORPIONS PREPARE by KC from Casey

The partially declared alignment between the Melbourne and Casey Scorpions Football Clubs appears to be moving along well even though a joint announcement of the betrothal still awaits.

The Demons are training at Casey Fields and, from my brief inspection at training a couple of weeks ago, I can truly say that the place is really beginning to take on the look and feel of the future sporting capital of Melbourne's outer south east.

The Scorpions have been tremendously boosted by the appointment of Peter German as new senior coach. The former North Melbourne star spent some time as assistant to MFC Football Chris Connolly when he was coaching at Fremantle.

The 2009 practice match schedule currently reads as follows:

Saturday March 21st v Box Hill

Saturday March 28th v Frankston

Sunday April 5th v Coburg

All matches will be played at Casey Fields and will feature both senior (2.00pm) and reserves matches (11.10am).

Former Demon defender Nathan Brown finished up at Melbourne in 2007 and spent last season at West Adelaide but he's back in the fold heading up the list of newcomers for 2009 at Casey. Brown will also have some sort of development role with the club on top of being there as a player.

And of course, the Scorpions list will be augmented by a number of Demons including many of the 10 newcomers to the club's senior and rookie lists whilst at a more local level, an influx of youth will arrive mainly from the strong TAC Cup Gippsland Power Under 18's which made this year's preliminary final.

The runner up in the Power's Best and Fairest, Traralgon small man Michel Stockdale has joined the club after being unlucky to miss out on selection in the 2008 national draft. Stockdale is a versatile ball magnet who averaged 22 possessions and six tackles per game in 2008 and boot 22 goals. He will be joined by Rosedale's Ben MaCreadie who was one of the dominant players in the North Gippsland Football League over the past two seasons.

Among the other recruits are exciting new Narre Warren premiership player Nick Scanlan, key forward Tom Carmody from Wantirna South and two players who are returning to the club after tasting some VFL experience elsewhere. Bendigo's Darren Granger played four games with Bendigo in 2008 while Andrew Oldmeadow from Nar Nar Goon had one game with Collingwood VFL.

The club will also see an influx of former Calder Cannons players who join Gardner Clark Medallist James Wall. Former Sydney Swan Peter Faulks, a 194cm tall defender originally from Oak Park where he played at state level at Under 16's and Under 18's. Despite strong form with the Sydney reserves last year Faulks could not break into the club's AFL team and was delisted at the end of the season. His ex Calder Cannons teammates Rian McGough, and Chris Clay are also joining the Scorpions.

It will be interesting to see how the players blend at the new alignment. The Scorpions have been developing a strong list from the ground up in recent years and this policy is expected to bring dividends in 2009 after last year's finals breakthrough. The club will lose Chris Dunne (overseas) and Adam Parker (Scoresby) but most of last year's team should remain intact except, of course, that its AFL aligned players will be Demons not Saints.

If you look through Casey's list they're extremely young (as evident by Mathews as their captain). Didn't quite go to the same lengths of Box Hill to clear out the old blokes but you get the drift.

Apparently the old coach was pretty good in dealing with the Saints, but I'm pretty sure he's with Sandy now (?). Expect to see anyone who's 3rd in line for a spot playing reserves eg Zomer behind Watts, Newton rather than half a game in the 1s rotating with the other bloke.

A friend of mine has a car with a giant scorpion painted on the hood, and the gearstick head has a scorpion embedded in glass inside it.

They only got it because it was cheap and it goes, but maybe we can raffle it? ;)

Looking forward to developing a love-hate relationship with the Scorpion's stars who will off course be "a great player and I have nothing but respect for him but he's stopping x from getting a chance to develop".

It's gonna be fun having both teams developing young squads at the same time.

And it's just fantastic to see Nathan Brown back close to the club.

................................................................................

And it's just fantastic to see Nathan Brown back close to the club.

Abso-bloody-lutely! His work ethic, enthusiasm and love for the Dees are unquestionable and infectious.

• 3 weeks later...

"Former Demon defender Nathan Brown finished up at Melbourne in 2007 and spent last season at West Adelaide but he's back in the fold heading up the list of newcomers for 2009 at Casey. Brown will also have some sort of development role with the club on top of being there as a player."

There's a report in today's Sunday Age that says Doggy's playing with Old Scotch in the VAFA this year.

"Former Demon defender Nathan Brown finished up at Melbourne in 2007 and spent last season at West Adelaide but he's back in the fold heading up the list of newcomers for 2009 at Casey. Brown will also have some sort of development role with the club on top of being there as a player."

There's a report in today's Sunday Age that says Doggy's playing with Old Scotch in the VAFA this year.

I'm a fan of doggy but I think that is a good thing we already have Silvagni, Wall and Faulks down back we don't need another backman we need some demons in that back half.

I drove past the Sandringham Footy Ground Today. I Have supported that great club all my life. This allignment stuff is hard work. I was really sad today when i saw that ground. Our involvement with springvale is purely business to me. Part of my heart will always be a Zebra. I realized that today....BRING BACK THE TWO'S ANDERSON YA TWIRP!!!!

I drove past the Sandringham Footy Ground Today. I Have supported that great club all my life. This allignment stuff is hard work. I was really sad today when i saw that ground. Our involvement with springvale is purely business to me. Part of my heart will always be a Zebra. I realized that today....BRING BACK THE TWO'S ANDERSON YA TWIRP!!!!

Sandy V Casey is the 1st match of the season...at Trevor Barker Beach Oval....strangely the two teams won't meet again in 2009 unless it's in the finals

Sandy V Casey is the 1st match of the season...at Trevor Barker Beach Oval....strangely the two teams won't meet again in 2009 unless it's in the finals

I Could never Barrack Against the Zebra's. I just will not do it. I am so against this bloody AFL?VFL Allianment it Bloody STINKS!!!

I Could never Barrack Against the Zebra's. I just will not do it. I am so against this bloody AFL?VFL Allianment it Bloody STINKS!!!
My family was exactly the same although I wonder what will happen now with the alignment and the fact that the rest of them have moved up north to a warmer climate.

Meanwhile, Casey's proactive recruiting campaign continues with the signing of De La Salle key forward Matt Moore who was runner up in the Amateurs goalkicking last year despite missing 5 games. The 194cm 93kg forward is highly thought of and made the VAFA under 23 squad last year.

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised that there's no Casey Scorpions practice game next Saturday as a curtain raiser to the NAB Challenge match - even an intraclub game. Apart from the benefit of match practice for the VFL contingent it would also provide an opportunity for fans to see some of our younger players and rookies who haven't had a run yet.

Yes, interesting point.

I recall last year prior to (or after – can’t remember which) the NAB Challenge match MFC v NM, there was a practice match of the Scorpions v Sandy.

I suspect that it might be that the changing rooms aren’t adequate for all of the clubs which might be involved (ie MFC, WB, Scorps & another VFL club – particularly as the AFL clubs are using extended lists).

Maybe when (if?) the extension is done, there will be more change-rooms.

Yes, interesting point.

I recall last year prior to (or after – can’t remember which) the NAB Challenge match MFC v NM, there was a practice match of the Scorpions v Sandy.

I suspect that it might be that the changing rooms aren’t adequate for all of the clubs which might be involved (ie MFC, WB, Scorps & another VFL club – particularly as the AFL clubs are using extended lists).

Maybe when (if?) the extension is done, there will be more change-rooms.

It was MFC Vs North, then Scorps Vs Sandy 1sts, then Scorps Vs Sandy 2nds. It was a good day 3 games to watch.

Surprised that there's no Casey Scorpions practice game next Saturday as a curtain raiser to the NAB Challenge match - even an intraclub game. Apart from the benefit of match practice for the VFL contingent it would also provide an opportunity for fans to see some of our younger players and rookies who haven't had a run yet.

By my reckoning there are 11 players on our lists who haven't had at least one game in the NAB Cup/NAB Challenge series to date -

Injured/rehab: Mark Jamar, Liam Jurrah, Addam Maric, Tom McNamara, Russell Robertson, Paul Wheatley.

Special programme (students): Sam Blease, Jack Watts

Rookies: Rhys Healey, Daniel Hughes, Jordie McKenzie

If there is a practice game, we aren't going to see many faces that haven't been seen so far this year.

You don't need to. Just hope that our youngsters perform well.

By my reckoning there are 11 players on our lists who haven't had at least one game in the NAB Cup/NAB Challenge series to date -

Injured/rehab: Mark Jamar, Liam Jurrah, Addam Maric, Tom McNamara, Russell Robertson, Paul Wheatley.

Special programme (students): Sam Blease, Jack Watts

Rookies: Rhys Healey, Daniel Hughes, Jordie McKenzie

If there is a practice game, we aren't going to see many faces that haven't been seen so far this year.

Daniel Hughes was walking laps with Paul Wheatley on Wednesday at training. I think he's on the injured list and doubt we'll see him for a while. I don't know what's wrong with him. He was certainly in full training in January and the beginning of Feb.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
You don't need to. Just hope that our youngsters perform well.
I was born in sandy,and i live 1KLM from casey fields,have done for 30yrs,if sandy were standing alone id still follow them,but were demons redleg and so are casey.

Allegiances are a funny thing. I grew up in Chelt/Beauie..( hold it agaist me it you will..lol ) Saw many a Zebby game.. saw many a Sainters game actually. I can remember standing next to the posts at TBO last year at the game against the Scorps.. and funily enough I had mixed thoughts.. Ironic now..

I saw Maric do some marvellous things and came here and relayed them.. ( also remember being less than inmpressed with a certain M-ruckman..lol ) Point being I personally wil have no probs with following the Melb participation in the Scorps..and feel no loss to the Zebs. but thats me.

Certainly a strange reality that its all abou tface.. but as it is..Im happy to follow whatever team develops ours.

I wish Sandy success...I wish Scorps premierships !! ;)

Is there any chance the casey scorpions could be changed to the casey demons?

The jumper could be changed too.

Sorry if that offends casey fans, but i just want to maximize all possible outcomes for our clubs.

I mean casey is a fairly new club ( springvale merged ) and this could really unite the community

A UNITED DEMON ASSAULT