Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: JLT 02 Brisbane

Demonland

Pre-Preseason 2019 Update

Recommended Posts

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2018-11-05/returning-to-the-track

Melbourne’s first-to-fourth year players still have a few more weeks to cool their heels before returning to training on Monday November 19. The senior players are due back on Monday December 3. 

Injury list: A number of players underwent post-season surgeries including Jack Viney (ankle), Christian Petracca (knee), Mitch Hannan (knee), Clayton Oliver (both shoulders), Aaron vandenBerg (shoulder), Jayden Hunt(shoulder), James Harmes (shoulder) and Neville Jetta (shoulder). All the players listed are expected to resume full training post-Christmas. 

Draft picks: 23, 28, 54, 62, 91

Major off-field moves: Following Peter Jackson's planned departure at the end of the season, Gary Pert has taken over as CEO as of early October. Melbourne's coaching staff has had little turnover and is locked in for another season. 

Round one: Port AdelaideMCGMarch 231.45pm. 

2018 Premiership odds: $8

And another thing … Melbourne coaches have covered all parts of the globe in the off seasonSimon Goodwin(London), Craig Jennings (Japan) and Troy Chaplin (US) embarked on study tours to gain insights by visiting sporting clubs in those countries. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

And another thing … Melbourne coaches have covered all parts of the globe in the off season. Simon Goodwin(London), Craig Jennings (Japan) and Troy Chaplin (US) embarked on study tours to gain insights by visiting sporting clubs in those countries. 

I wonder of these junkets make a lick of difference to AFL clubs?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I wonder of these junkets make a lick of difference to AFL clubs?

Hardly a junket.

Unlike our political masters I think the coaching group deserve these trips even if they gain nothing but some valuable time off.

However, I'm sure they do gain some good insight. It can't hurt to have a look at what others are doing, discuss, learn where appropriate and ensure we are up with or even ahead of the latest trends.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know what Lever's timeline is at this stage??

Any chance at all for the opening rounds?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Demonland said:

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2018-11-05/returning-to-the-track

Melbourne’s first-to-fourth year players still have a few more weeks to cool their heels before returning to training on Monday November 19. The senior players are due back on Monday December 3. 

Injury list: A number of players underwent post-season surgeries including Jack Viney (ankle), Christian Petracca (knee), Mitch Hannan (knee), Clayton Oliver (both shoulders), Aaron vandenBerg (shoulder), Jayden Hunt(shoulder), James Harmes (shoulder) and Neville Jetta (shoulder). All the players listed are expected to resume full training post-Christmas. 

Draft picks: 23, 28, 54, 62, 91

Major off-field moves: Following Peter Jackson's planned departure at the end of the season, Gary Pert has taken over as CEO as of early October. Melbourne's coaching staff has had little turnover and is locked in for another season. 

Round one: Port AdelaideMCGMarch 231.45pm. 

2018 Premiership odds: $8

And another thing … Melbourne coaches have covered all parts of the globe in the off season. Simon Goodwin(London), Craig Jennings (Japan) and Troy Chaplin (US) embarked on study tours to gain insights by visiting sporting clubs in those countries. 

MFC should get a Christmas card from Eppworth and the Avenue.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Anyone know what Lever's timeline is at this stage??

Any chance at all for the opening rounds?

According to Jake who I spoke to at season's end, wants to be up and ruuning for Rd 1 selection, has a complete program mapped out to try and acheive this, assume he will need every box ticked as this is 2nd knee

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I wonder of these junkets make a lick of difference to AFL clubs?

Try asking Craig Jennings, I did, professional sport changes daily, you investigate every new 'approach"

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Anyone know what Lever's timeline is at this stage??

Any chance at all for the opening rounds?

Heard him speak on Preliminary Final day and he said he was aiming for Round 1 but he also mentioned that that if he not ready he's not ready but should be ready to go early in the season.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

Try asking Craig Jennings, I did, professional sport changes daily, you investigate every new 'approach"

Why always so defensive in this way? Maybe he doesn't have the opportunity to ask? A non-condescending way to reply would be to say that you chatted to Jennings and got the impression that clubs want to investigate every new 'approach' as professional sport changes daily...

  • Like 14
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, TheCurseisBroken said:

Why always so defensive in this way? Maybe he doesn't have the opportunity to ask? A non-condescending way to reply would be to say that you chatted to Jennings and got the impression that clubs want to investigate every new 'approach' as professional sport changes daily...

Dont waste your time mate. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I wonder of these junkets make a lick of difference to AFL clubs?

From all reports Goodwin is not just a dedicated student of Aussie footy but of world sports. He's also been developing a game-plan which, while still admittedly unproven, is on the leading edge of Australian football and could potentially deliver a dynasty in a league of small margins if it clicks with increasing player maturity. I previously posted my suspicion that he has already taken on board some ideas from both European soccer and rugby league. Far from junkets, I think these research trips are invaluable, and demonstrate the single-minded dedication of our coaching panel as led by Goody.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also not sure if covered anywhere on here, but the Demons site has our 2019 JLT fixtures listed as Richmond on the 3rd of March in Shepparton and and 9th of March at Casey (which I thought was Cazaly's in Cairns at first by its venue code and was going to make a big fuss about but now won't - everything is okay, carry on with your day in peace, but hehe - [censored] Brisbane).

Edited by Skuit
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the wrong thread but isn't it weird to see this after 12 years!

2018 Premiership odds: $8

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the old days, knees used to be the most common injury in VFL:AFL footy. 

Now shoulders. 

Harder grounds, high speed crash and bash footy,  pile driving/gang tackling ??

It has to be a concern for the health and well being of players during their career and post career. 

It is reported but not commented on. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Skuit said:

From all reports Goodwin is not just a dedicated student of Aussie footy but of world sports. He's also been developing a game-plan which, while still admittedly unproven, is on the leading edge of Australian football and could potentially deliver a dynasty in a league of small margins if it clicks with increasing player maturity. I previously posted my suspicion that he has already taken on board some ideas from both European soccer and rugby league. Far from junkets, I think these research trips are invaluable, and demonstrate the single-minded dedication of our coaching panel as led by Goody.

Does anyone know if AFL clubs are visited by coaches of codes from around the world to see what they can take back for their own games?

Seems we are always reading of our coaches visiting other countries. After 150+ years of the game, you would think we could be leading the way in at least some areas of professional sport.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Skuit said:

From all reports Goodwin is not just a dedicated student of Aussie footy but of world sports. He's also been developing a game-plan which, while still admittedly unproven, is on the leading edge of Australian football and could potentially deliver a dynasty in a league of small margins if it clicks with increasing player maturity. I previously posted my suspicion that he has already taken on board some ideas from both European soccer and rugby league. Far from junkets, I think these research trips are invaluable, and demonstrate the single-minded dedication of our coaching panel as led by Goody.

Or put another way....nah mate, why would we be interested in tin pot sports around the world when we know everything here in Oz with the greatest game in the world. We'll just do what we have always done.....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 1:49 PM, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I wonder of these junkets make a lick of difference to AFL clubs?

Yeah . . . nah. It's outrageous. I'm burning my membership card and scarf as soon as they arrive. I'm completely over this club's recent improvement. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Does anyone know if AFL clubs are visited by coaches of codes from around the world to see what they can take back for their own games?

Seems we are always reading of our coaches visiting other countries. After 150+ years of the game, you would think we could be leading the way in at least some areas of professional sport.

I remember reading an article years ago that mentioned our anti-hamstring-injury expertise is the best in the world. But that's about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Chook said:

I remember reading an article years ago that mentioned our anti-hamstring-injury expertise is the best in the world. But that's about it.

I recall reading an article years ago that mentioned our ACL expertise (stopping them from occurring, rather than repairing torn ones) is the best in the world. As Harry Hoo might have said (but probably didn't), this presents three possibilities:

  • we're both right and there were two such articles
  • one of us is wrong
  • neither of us is right.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I recall reading an article years ago that mentioned our ACL expertise (stopping them from occurring, rather than repairing torn ones) is the best in the world. As Harry Hoo might have said (but probably didn't), this presents three possibilities:

  • we're both right and there were two such articles
  • one of us is wrong
  • neither of us is right.

The under appreciated and definitely under quoted Harry Hoo. You have risen to the occasion LDV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I recall reading an article years ago that mentioned our ACL expertise (stopping them from occurring, rather than repairing torn ones) is the best in the world. As Harry Hoo might have said (but probably didn't), this presents three possibilities:

  • we're both right and there were two such articles
  • one of us is wrong
  • neither of us is right.

Get Smart should be our catch phrase

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    If there was ever a prime example of a team of players not ready for the new football season it was Melbourne in the opening round of 2019.   Throughout the field there was just too much evidence of players who haven’t had sufficient pre-season or players who ordinarily wouldn’t have even graced the field at this early stage.   The Demons also got a lesson on selection with Port Adelaide showing that two ruckmen on the field is an essential for this season.  It was a lesson that should

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WELCOME GAME by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club has moved forward in leaps and bounds since it last met Port Adelaide in a totally forgettable (for Demon fans) season opener on the MCG.  That game, played on Sunday, 31 March, 2013 before a crowd of 22,924, was supposed to be a close encounter between two of the competition’s lesser lights from the previous season when the Power had finished 14th and the Demons 16th (ahead only of AFL newbies Gold Coast and GWS). It turned into a slaughter with Port taking the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE WALKING WOUNDED by Paddy Gosch

    Forget the fact that Melbourne narrowly missed out on getting the four JLT points on offer for a second consecutive week and the blow to the ego of a supposed top four contender losing ... well almost at home ... to a team that has recently dwelt in the AFL cellar and won a mere five games in 2018. The things that emerged from the horror final JLT outing was that the Demons are a long way from being prepared to take on the rigours of a long tough season in which they have one of the hardest fixt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons have named a star studded line up in it’s final practice match before the season proper. They take on the emerging Brisbane Lions out at Casey which is the second of three matches at the ground on Saturday. Many of the Dees best 22 have been recalled including Vice Captains Max Gawn and Neville Jetta whilst Captains Nathan Jones and Jack Viney will play restricted minutes in the VFL curtain raiser. Former Gold Coast co-captain Steven May will play his first official game for Melb

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HIT OUT by Paddy Gosch

    As far as preseason hit outs go, the Demons’ first JLT Community Series fixture against the Tigers in the blistering heat at Shepparton, was instructive of a number of things but not really conclusive as to how each team will fare in the regular season against the competition's big guns (which includes against each other). That’s the way these practice match hit outs go. Neither of the teams was at full strength, particularly Melbourne but if you were looking for the reason for the 12 point

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HOT OUT OF THE CITY by Paddy Gosch

    The Dees travel out of the city for game one of two JLT Community Series practice matches before the season proper. Our first match takes us to the floodplains of the Goldburn River in Northern Victoria to the city of Shepparton. We take on the Tigers for the first of at least 3 encounters with the 2017 Premiers this year. The game will be played in scorching temperatures so expect plenty of rotations, ice vests, fans running overtime and extra water carriers. The Demons are coming off a wi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GAME, SET & SCRATCH by Paddy Gosch

    I always believe in starting off any report by accentuating the positive and in that regard, as at the time of writing, the Demons have not reported any injuries so that’s my major positive from today’s practice game v the Magpies (albeit that we know the club is somewhat lax in reporting these things so my best wishes go out if any of today’s participants are in intensive care at the Alfred).  Another positive was that Razor Ray performed his umpiring duties admirably which is more than I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SCRATCH by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons are set to take on the old enemy Collingwood in a good old fashioned Scratch Match on Friday Morning. It is unknown what form the match will take, how many quarters there will be, their length, the amount of rotations or even whether they'll keep score. One thing we do know for sure is that both coaching staffs will be keeping their cards close to their chests to ensure neither will glean too much from their competition. The Dees will likely be without some of their stars as Tom

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    IMAGINE by Whispering Jack

    The Demons made their official return to the training track for 2019 on a sunny Saturday morning at Goschs Paddock with most of the interest initially centred on a small patch of ground in one of the pockets where the rehab group was going through the paces. Some good pieces of news on that score. The  rehab group is considerably smaller than it was prior to the Christmas break with Christian Petracca (knee), James Harmes (shoulder), Jayden Hunt (shoulder), Neville Jetta (shoulder), Oscar M

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

×
×
  • Create New...