Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Best 22 for Round 1, 2017

After the game on Saturday, it looked quite clear to me that the highest pressure players (aside form of course Viney) - the in your face, relentless, annoying, hard-tackling never give up players - were VDB, ANB, Harmes, Bugg and even JKH to a degree. Most posters (including me) quickly see all or most of them as being out of the final 22 once we bring in Tyson, Watts, Garlettt and Kent and shave the current line-up back to 22. To me there's a massive (turnover-causing) pressure downgrade in the process and, of course, a corresponding upgrade in skill / finesse  and a bit of speed. Just mulling over what the best option is against St Kilda.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2017 at 10:20 AM, WERRIDEE said:

B: MELKSHAM, T.MCDONALD, VINCE

HB: HIBBERD, O.MCDONALD, HUNT

C: SALEM, JONES, LEWIS

HF: PETRACCA, HOGAN, BRAYSHAW

F: GARLETT, WEIDEMAN, GAWN

FOLL: SPENCER, VINEY, OLIVER

IC: STRETCH, TYSON, JETTA, KENT

EMERG: VANDENBERG, J.SMITH, HARMES

Melksham is a very ordinary footballer. Too many are getting sucked in by his story and the fact he's a new recruit. He is depth only. Hibberd is a much better recruit. Melksham was an ordinary trade.Poor decision making and average skills under pressure. 

Jetta is an integral part of the back line . He breaks up play and his scramble defense is nearly second to none. Plays taller than he is.

Jetta remains best 22

• Like 6

10 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

I keep thinking about Round 1 and how we're going to contain all of Riewoldt, Bruce, McCartin and Membrey.

Really, I think going in with Oscar and Tom as our only two talls in the backline has the potential to be disastrous. 

McCartin shouldn't worry us. He's miles off being an AFL standard footballer. Slow and no tank. The other three can really hurt you. Need Frost to play last JLT.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ProDee said:

Spencer won't play.

Goodwin isn't stupid.

Spencer is the incumbent from what we've seen to date.

I don't like it and you don't but the obvious relief rucks in Pederson & Watts haven't had a look in.

Spencer didn't push his case in JLT 2 so it will be interesting to see the lineup for 3.

You've talked about Goodwin's footy brain before, it's going to be interesting to see how he plays this one.

The only thing I can see from a sample of 2 practice games is that he likes to rotate players.

Hogan moves into the middle, Gawn floats forward, the mids are all over the place.

Spencer may be a key to the puzzle.

Seems it might be his position to lose.

• Like 3

Jetta O McDonald Hibberd

Lewis T McDonald Hunt

Vince Oliver Stretch

Salem Hogan Brayshaw

Petracca Watts Kennedy-Harris

Gawn Jones Viney

Vandenberg Tyson Bugg Melksham

• I have gone for a small side as I am much more worried about St Kilda’s pace than the height in their forward line. With a zone defensive structure, so long as the pressure on the ball is there, we should generally get third man up coverage to spoil.
  • Two ruckman should never be considered IMO. Gawn is dominant in the ruck and needs to play there and Spencer is a hopeless forward. It might work with eight on the bench, but it won’t in the regular season.
  • Watts is a capable second ruckman and is our second best forward. He must play if fit.
  • Weideman is developing well but until he becomes consistently dominant in the air, he will be a liability.
  • Tyson is the 22nd player I have selected for this game given his injury and it is at Etihad.
  • Smith looks exciting, but needs to become a bit cleaner with his skills.
  • Frost would be in my best side, but it does not sound like he is fit.
  • I think Bugg has been solid this preseason and I like the tackling pressure that he and Vandenberg provide.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rjay said:

I don't like it and you don't but the obvious relief rucks in Pederson & Watts haven't had a look in.

Spencer didn't push his case in JLT 2 so it will be interesting to see the lineup for 3.

You've talked about Goodwin's footy brain before, it's going to be interesting to see how he plays this one.

The only thing I can see from a sample of 2 practice games is that he likes to rotate players.

Hogan moves into the middle, Gawn floats forward, the mids are all over the place.

Fair enough.

I do agree that the second ruck is problematic, but for me playing a limited ruckman like Spencer, who can't play forward, is a luxury we can't afford.

I'll be shocked if Spencer is named in the team.

• Like 1

I note that many are including both Melksham and Hibberd in their line ups.

I am no expert, but as neither have played an earnest AFL game for over a year, would it be a risk that they could be a bit rusty?

I think these 15 are a lock for R1: Hogan, Jones, Salem, Petracca, Lewis, Viney, Brayshaw, Gawn, Oliver, Hibberd, Stretch, Vince, T.Mac, O.Mac, Hunt,

Tyson will play if he's fit which appears likely and I think Bugg will play too even though I'm not a big fan, that's 17.

One of Melksham, Jetta and J.Smith will play Small Back - I thisk it's almost certain to be Melksham, Jetta incredibly stiff, that's 18

Two of Watts, Pedersen, Weideman and Spencer will play Tall Fwd/Ruck relief - I think it will be Watts and Weideman, that's 20.

Two of Kent, VDB, Kennedy-Harris, ANB, Garlett and Harmes will play Small Fwd - that's the hardest set for me to predict, but if forced I'll go with VDB and Kent, that up makes the 22

B: Melksham OMac Hibberd 
HB: Hunt TMac Vince
R: Gawn Tyson Viney
C: Lewis Jones Stretch
HF: Petracca Hogan VDB 
F: Watts Weideman Kent
I: Oliver, Brayshaw, Salem Bugg

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

I think these 15 are a lock for R1: Hogan, Jones, Salem, Petracca, Lewis, Viney, Brayshaw, Gawn, Oliver, Hibberd, Stretch, Vince, T.Mac, O.Mac, Hunt,

Tyson will play if he's fit which appears likely and I think Bugg will play too even though I'm not a big fan, that's 17.

One of Melksham, Jetta and J.Smith will play Small Back - I thisk it's almost certain to be Melksham, Jetta incredibly stiff, that's 18

Two of Watts, Pedersen, Weideman and Spencer will play Tall Fwd/Ruck relief - I think it will be Watts and Weideman, that's 20.

Two of Kent, VDB, Kennedy-Harris, ANB, Garlett and Harmes will play Small Fwd - that's the hardest set for me to predict, but if forced I'll go with VDB and Kent, that up makes the 22

This is a very good analysis and this is how I expect the team to look in terms of structure. (I don't think Kent will be named due to fitness. I had JKH in his place.)

Personally I had a smaller forward line without Weideman given the ground and opposition, but I can also see the long-term benefit in him playing every week.

Edited by Fat Tony
spelling

12 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

I like that team and and also think its very likely. Only thing is I wouldnt be surised if they played J. Smith as the 3rd Tall defender moving Melksham to a mid/def and Bugg misses out. VDB is also very lucky but Garlett's hamstring means he is probably in.

45 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

I reckon you've just about nailed it.

The only other player who might challenge is Smith.

B: Smith OMac Hibberd 
HF: Salem Hogan VDB 
F: Petracca Watts  Kent

I. Oliver Bugg Brayshaw Spencer,

E. Melksham, Harmes, Neal-Bullen

If ready Garlett for Kent, if both ready; VDB emergency

Weiderman to me wont benefit from being 2 classes below. Casey till he shows more.

38 minutes ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

I like that team and and also think its very likely. Only thing is I wouldnt be surised if they played J. Smith as the 3rd Tall defender moving Melksham to a mid/def and Bugg misses out. VDB is also very lucky but Garlett's hamstring means he is probably in.

Yes - personally I'd have Jetta, J.Smith or Garlett ahead of Bugg with some shuffling of roles but I think Bugg will play and I'm trying to predict the actual 22.

Just now, Fifty-5 said:

Yes - personally I'd have Jetta, J.Smith or Garlett ahead of Bugg with some shuffling of roles but I think Bugg will play and I'm trying to predict the actual 22.

Yeah fair enough. Bugg has played well (without staring) in both JLT so if anyone of those 22-25th players deserve a go its him.

• Like 1

FB: Hibberd  Oscar  Hunt
HB:Melksham  Tom Mc  Jetta/Smith/Bugg
C: Stretch  Viney  Lewis
HF: Petracca  Hogan JKH/Kent/Jeff
FF: Vanders/Jeff  Weed   Spencer/Watts
Foll: Gawn  Oliver  Jones
Int: Brayshaw Salem Vince Tyson/Bugg

I think they are starting to settle what roles and how they want to the team to play. So it's really just a matter of if the injured guys get back in time and if so then there's a reshuffle with the defenders. If Tyson comes in and Bugg stays in (and I think he will) then Lewis, Jones and Salem play half back and we go in with 6 primary defenders. 

I wouldn't be against resting a couple of clearly best 22 guys so that all of the fringe guys play against West Coast. 

16 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

FB: Hibberd  Oscar  Hunt
HB:Melksham  Tom Mc  Jetta/Smith/Bugg
C: Stretch  Viney  Lewis
HF: Petracca  Hogan JKH/Kent/Jeff
FF: Vanders/Jeff  Weed   Spencer/Watts
Foll: Gawn  Oliver  Jones
Int: Brayshaw Salem Vince Tyson/Bugg

I think they are starting to settle what roles and how they want to the team to play. So it's really just a matter of if the injured guys get back in time and if so then there's a reshuffle with the defenders. If Tyson comes in and Bugg stays in (and I think he will) then Lewis, Jones and Salem play half back and we go in with 6 primary defenders. 

I wouldn't be against resting a couple of clearly best 22 guys so that all of the fringe guys play against West Coast. 

What I said

For those who haven't played so far in the JLT; Tyson, Jetta and Kent are the only locks for round 1.

However, in saying that, I think Watts will push his way in next week and Garletts speed will be wanted on Etihad.

If Spencer plays well against WCE, they will play him, but it will come at a cost of a tall forward (most likely Weid)

Wagner won't be rushed back.

FB: Jetta  - T-Mac (Memb) - Melk

HB: Hibb - Oscar (McCartin) - Hunt

C: Tyson - N.Jones - Lewis

HF: Kent - Watts - Trac

FF: Vanders - Hogan - Garlett

R: Gawn - Viney - Salem

I: Spencer - Oliver - Brayshaw - Stretch

E: Weid - Bugg - Harmes

Edited by GawnWithTheWind

15 hours ago, Fitz Fitzpatrick said:

Melksham is a very ordinary footballer. Too many are getting sucked in by his story and the fact he's a new recruit. He is depth only. Hibberd is a much better recruit. Melksham was an ordinary trade.Poor decision making and average skills under pressure. 

Jetta is an integral part of the back line . He breaks up play and his scramble defense is nearly second to none. Plays taller than he is.

Jetta remains best 22

Jetta remains best 10

• Like 1

Here's my best 22 for round 1 and summary for each player. Enjoy!

B: Jetta TMac Hibberd 

HB: Hunt OMac Melksham
C: Stretch Tyson Lewis
HF: Petracca Hogan Bugg 
F: Garlett Weideman Watts
R: Gawn Jones Viney

I: Oliver, Brayshaw, Vince, Salem

Jetta: Small defender who can do a lock down job on the best small forwards in the game but is average offensively. Luckily we now have lots more options down back so he can concentrate on what he does best. May get squeezed out over time due to new gameplay and team structure.
TMac: A lock for key defender, defends well but is hit and miss offensively. A rung below the A grade key defenders such as Rance or McGovern, but still a very good key defender. As long as he doesn't make too many stuff ups offensively that cost us turn over goals then he has potential to push for All Australian selection.
Hibberd: Intercepts well and has a big kick on him. Will take a bit of time to find form but will likely become our most consistent backman as the year progresses.
Hunt: Lock for a rebounding defender spot. Provides great dash, just needs to get back and defend well like he did last year and make sure he uses the options around him sometimes too instead of running himself into trouble.
OMac: Lock for other key defender spot alongside his brother. He was very raw last year but he got better as time went on. He needs to improve his intensity with defending as he is sometimes weak in the contest, but offensively he is more reliable than his brother.
Melksham: Lock for halfback role. The coaches love him. He reads it well, has decent pace, decent skills and is a well rounded footballer. Gets a bad wrap from people who don't have great football knowledge. Last match he was one of our best players behind Petracca setting up multiple rebounds that lead to scoring chains and beating his man time and time again. He'll be an asset for years to come due to versatility of being able to play back, mid and forward.
Stretch: Had a really good developing year last year. He gets to good spots, stays calm under pressure, uses his good agility to get out of tight situations. While he is an outside player, he has built up his body more over preseason and isn't afraid to go when he needs to. Think he will be great for us long term and said so on here when he was drafted. Exciting prospect.
Tyson: Hopefully he is fit for Round 1. He's still really underrated as a midfielder and is super on the inside. He has played some top shelf games the past few years, and when he hasn't been battling fitness and form due to knee concerns he has been great. His second half last season was really solid. He is great around contests and likes a sneaky goal too. Would be a lock if it weren't for injury question mark.
Lewis: Lock. He can play anywhere we need him. We've seen dominate in the midfield and then also fall back into defence and save the day. He's an elite footballer with great football knowledge and leadership. We are so lucky we got him for peanuts. Super exciting to add him to the team this year and he'll help us further up the ladder.
Petracca: Lock for half forward. He's ready to explode. Great offensively, getting better defensively, if his set shots are fixed up, which they appear to be so far this preseason, he'll have a huge year and have an impact up forward and rotating through the midfield. Still not sure what his ceiling is! Jet!
Hogan: Lock at CHF. Looks lean and mean. Hopefully he has a better year infant of goals and helps guide young 
Weideman. He'll push up the ground and have an impact at stages too as we saw on the weekend. I really like him playing at CHF as he is super fit and can beat defenders in so many different ways. Could this be the year he explodes and finishes near the top of the Coleman? Hopefully!
Bugg: I love Buggy. Ideally Kent would be playing half forward, but I doubt he will be ready for Round 1 due to injury. Buggy is the perfect role player. He will be in and out of the team but he is versatile, can play lock down, can win ball, can kick a few goals. He's our best depth IMO ahead of guys like Vandenberg, Harmes, JKH, ANB.
Garlett: Our best small forward at present. He will hopefully kick his 40 goals again this year which is a good return. He will have more completion from below than in the past though.
Weideman: A bit like Oscar last year, he's a bit raw and probably isn't the best option if Pedo is fit, but they will pump games into him as he has the talent and attributes to be great for us long term. Like Oscar he just needs to attack the contest with more intensity as he is inconsistent with this at present. Got a great leap and good skills.
Watts: Should be a lock up forward. Kicked roughly 40 goals last year, setup countless others, he was superb. Suffering the storm in a teacup media bullish*t at the moment so hopefully lines up in Round 1. We are worse off without him. Only Petracca rivals him for scoring assist at present. Jack just has beautiful vision and kicking skills. Hoping he has a year as good or better than 2016. If he does he may push for All Australian.
Gawn: Lock for ruck obviously. Hopefully he is as good or better than 2016 and the new rule change helps him. He's probably our most important player in our push for finals this year IMO.
Jones: Lock. With more talent around him I think we'll see him running round free a bit more and doing less grunt work. That's fine by me as he's developed into a really damaging kick both around the ground and for goals. Excited for him to finally taste some success after battling manfully through years of rubbish.
Viney: Lock and hoping he keeps improving and pushes for All Australian standard. He was nearly there last year. He still needs to work on his kicking, but other than that he is great around stoppages, great offensively, great defensively, and a surprisingly strong mark for someone his size.
Oliver: Lock. My favourite player looks set for a big year through the midfield. He's such and exciting prospect. He's elite around stoppages, has insanely good vision and hands. he is a really good kick too so if he starts finding more space and not handballing every time he gets the ball he will become even more damaging. Love his intensity. He'll become our best player and win a Brownlow in a few years I hope!
Brayshaw: Has had a good preseason and looks to have put the injury concerns of last year behind him. I don't think his ceiling is as high as Petracca or Oliver, but people may have forgotten how damaging he can be. I really like him when he is streaming forward from behind the ball setting up scoring opportunities. He's a really strong tackler as well.
Vince: Can play anywhere. I prefer him midfield but he may be squeezed out over time. Looks to be helping down back but I'd love to see him up forward more. He can launch a long goal or hit passes to leading forwards.
Salem: Hopefully he is past his injury and health issues. Moving to the midfield will be great for him. He's average as a defender, though obviously a decent rebounder due to great kicking skills. If he plays midfield and forward he has a great balance of inside and outside and the ability to his the scoreboard. Top 5 BnF potential this year if he stays fit.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

After the game on Saturday, it looked quite clear to me that the highest pressure players (aside form of course Viney) - the in your face, relentless, annoying, hard-tackling never give up players - were VDB, ANB, Harmes, Bugg and even JKH to a degree. Most posters (including me) quickly see all or most of them as being out of the final 22 once we bring in Tyson, Watts, Garlettt and Kent and shave the current line-up back to 22. To me there's a massive (turnover-causing) pressure downgrade in the process and, of course, a corresponding upgrade in skill / finesse  and a bit of speed. Just mulling over what the best option is against St Kilda.

I still think VDB will end up causing more turn overs off his own boot than any pressure acts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abe said:

When players of the quality of nev Jetta, jack watts and Jeff Garlett aren't locks in the best 22, it's a great sign for our club about where we are at and the quality of our depth 

At the start of the 2016 season nobody had Hunt in the best 22. Most probably didn't even have him in Casey's best 22. Now there is not a single best 22 on Demonland without him starting on the ground. We're 20 pages in to this thread and not one has a side without Hunt. Amazingly he is being picked ahead of Jetta.

We have serious depth and that is partly because we now have the right structures in place to develop talent properly.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, rjay said:

Goodwin's mottos are also being "fearless" and "aggressive", so I think he could very well back in Gawn and Spencer for Round 1.

The Gawn/Spencer duo is definitely going to backfire at some stage, unless we get our match ups spot on and pick and choose the right times to play them both. It could be a liability on a fast deck like Etihad, but if we move the ball quickly and win a greater share of the contest in the middle, we should be able to account for them.

Edited by A F