Welcome to Demonland: Pick 9

adonski

Just now, Redleg said:

Say Mentha is selected at 35, how do we match without a pick, if 49 is gone for Sharp.

We must have given up on Derksen, if these suggested pick swaps are correct, as we are giving everything after 5 to Bombers, with one kept for Sharp apparently.

I am confused.

I'd say we are not finished at 9, 9 + 5  may become a higher first and a selection of other picks. Who knows we have to wait for the music to stop....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DubDee said:

any good small forwards in the top 15? wouldn’t be surprised if we target one with 9

Seems there are many 'midfielders who can also play forward' if that'll do.

Murphy Reid is probably the standout mid+forward or forward+mid - constantly described as 'smart' 'clever' 'effective' and 'value per disposal' at the same time as accumulating plenty of disposals when in midfield. We'd be lucky and thrilled to get him at 5, I suspect.

Josh Smillie is the 194cm midfielder who has also kicked a steady flow of goals. [must not compare to Bontempelli] Bontemsmillie? Likely available at 5 but unlikely at 9, but not impossible.

I think at this stage that would be my dream pair. Two radically different midfielders in both body and style, who are both capable of adding some spice to our attacking movement.

In Taylor we trust. Amen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Most interesting quote from Tim Lamb

"... while remaining open to the possibilities that arise with holding these two selections"

If Port Adelaide aren't convinced 'two year contract extension Zak Butters' is going to commit long term and could get two first rounders for him, would they do the deal? I think they would. And so would we.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

5 and 9 in this draft is unbelievable!

Great trading by the demons. Every other team must be annoyed they missed this opportunity to get pick 9

This bring some genuine excitement for next year now. 

A couple of young bulls to keep Trac and Clarry on their toes

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Demons11 said:

Don’t get caught up in the points, it’s so irrelevant.  Pick 9 is gold

This. 

Essendon would not agree to this trade if not for the fact THAT THEY WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO USE ND9!

No team is giving a top ten pick for essentially ND 28 and a delayed recompense of a top ten pick if we miss finals again ( the other picks are chum).

Also, we have as many picks in the ND as we have gaps on the list so if people were worried about ‘later’ picks, don’t be.

Love that we have been on the front foot with this pick trading the last decade.

• Like 13

10 hours ago, Macca said:

Writing off a 19yo already?

Half the battle for a teenager is getting to contests and then adjusting to a sport which is miles quicker and physical than under 18 footy

So Tholstrup is getting to the contests when a number of debutants don't

Adjusting to the pace of the game takes time unless a player is a step ahead of the rest

The draft can throw up mixed results so throwing up descriptions like X-factor should be taken with a grain of salt

Watching his highlights at under 18 level showed a player who gets to a lot of contests and then having the time to dispose of the ball ... and at AFL level, disposing of the ball accurately and quickly takes time to learn

Patience, Grasshopper

Before I go on, I think he still will get there...but I don't see the X-factor atm. 

What is this vague term 'getting to contents'? Most of the young midfield/forwards have very similar aerobic ability. But, if he is getting to 'more contests' he certainly doesn't know how to get the football when he gets there. Averaging 11.5 disposal tells me he isn't getting to contests OR, he is and doesn't know how to get the footy. What are you basing this 'getting to contests' off? Like what data. If it's subjective, there is no way you can accurately 'get a feel' for him getting to more contests than other young footballers. 

• Like 1

That’s a great get.  
Dees can use 5&9, and then see if theirs is still rated youngsters left at the end of the draft. There is typically good youngsters left who need to be given a chance.  Other delisted free agents might be worth grabbing such as Parfitt.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RyanD said:

Before I go on, I think he still will get there...but I don't see the X-factor atm. 

What is this vague term 'getting to contents'? Most of the young midfield/forwards have very similar aerobic ability. But, if he is getting to 'more contests' he certainly doesn't know how to get the football when he gets there. Averaging 11.5 disposal tells me he isn't getting to contests OR, he is and doesn't know how to get the footy. What are you basing this 'getting to contests' off? Like what data. If it's subjective, there is no way you can accurately 'get a feel' for him getting to more contests than other young footballers. 

Tholstrup goes reasonably hard at the contest and doesn't look around.  Doesn't mean he's going to get a lot of the ball (yet) but it's a great start

He's not up with the pace of the game but once that happens, he can be a 20+ possession player.  So those contests that he gets to will result in him winning the ball more often

As a comparison, we could use Morton & Toumpas as examples (both pick 4's)

Both were conspicuously absent a lot of the times.  Contests were often avoided.  Harsh, but true

You can disagree, I'm not fussed.  So let's agree to disagree, Ryan

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, layzie said:

Happy with 9 but did we need to give up that many picks? Was hoping we would still package something up for one in the 20s. 

We simply get deals done, no endless haggling which takes up precious time.

Now we can sit back and let others come to us if they want, but we get our work done asap so we’re not part of the mad rush at the end.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

For all those D'land Dribblers who have been calling for Tim Lamb's head.

The Demons have aced the AFL futures market, but Collingwood have floundered.This is how they did it

Melbourne’s bold move to trade up to Essendon’s pick nine surprised clubs for its audacity as the AFL’s trade period entered its second week, but it’s straight from the Demons’ successful future trading playbook, which has made them the best traders in the first 10 years of the AFL’s future trading system.

• Like 2
  • Love 9

1 hour ago, rpfc said:

This. 

Essendon would not agree to this trade if not for the fact THAT THEY WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO USE ND9!

No team is giving a top ten pick for essentially ND 28 and a delayed recompense of a top ten pick if we miss finals again ( the other picks are chum).

Also, we have as many picks in the ND as we have gaps on the list so if people were worried about ‘later’ picks, don’t be.

Love that we have been on the front foot with this pick trading the last decade.

Or Essendon got scared out of it.  Kako is borderline if he gets a bid before 9.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macca said:

Tholstrup goes reasonably hard at the contest and doesn't look around.  Doesn't mean he's going to get a lot of the ball (yet) but it's a great start

He's not up with the pace of the game but once that happens, he can be a 20+ possession player.  So those contests that he gets to will result in him winning the ball more often

As a comparison, we could use Morton & Toumpas as examples (both pick 4's)

Both were conspicuously absent a lot of the times.  Contests were often avoided.  Harsh, but true

You can disagree, I'm not fussed.  So let's agree to disagree, Ryan

I felt that when Tholstrup played he impacted games in the first half and then tired. I'm hoping that with another pre-season he can increase his endurance to impact a whole game. What he does have though is a natural aggression and confidence that cannot be taught. 

• Like 9
  • Clap 3

2 hours ago, mo64 said:

Instead we top up our list with rejects from other clubs who end up being ordinary players for us.

There's always talent after the 1st round. We've just chosen to ignore it.

The term list cloggers often gets a run on Demonland! 
Going for pick 9 is going for gold!

• Thanks 1

We need to use these 2 picks to get the best midfielders we can get. Guys with pace who can use the ball.
This gives us coverage should Tracc and or Clarry move on next year. 

I am really comfortable with talls for next year, however we may need to revisit the following year. Petty goes back for mine and hoping Jefferson can grab that 2nd key forward spot. Adam’s may or may not make it. But give him time next year and hoping he can experience senior football at the back end. 
Key for us is to see improvement and growth from last years recruits in Kolt, Billing’s, McAdam and Fullerton. If they can fulfill potential, then that will be huge. 
Good year to have good draft picks 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, SPC said:

We need to use these 2 picks to get the best midfielders we can get. Guys with pace who can use the ball.

I am really comfortable with talls for next year, however we may need to revisit the following year. Petty goes back for mine and hoping Jefferson can grab that 2nd key forward spot. Adam’s may or may not make it. But give him time next year and hoping he can experience senior football at the back end. 
Key for us is to see improvement and growth from last years recruits in Kolt, Billing’s, McAdam and Fullerton. If they can fulfill potential, then that will be huge. 

White (hopefully) coming in end of next year and is touted as a key back, so that could help with those young talls coming through potentially.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SPC said:

And Disco takes the swingman role from Tmac.

• Like 3