The Dan Houston Thread

11 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

We have, actually, in the context of this year's carnival. A bit underwhelming, it has seemed. I sometimes wonder if 'his footy' has been less about Kalani and more about Jeff...

I've had this exact same thought for a while now...

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Interesting that we're interested in another half back. If Petty was set on returning to SA and we got Houston and their first rounder, we could make the best of a bad situation.

Would rather keep Petty though.

I highly doubt that deal would happen. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, adonski said:

Houston and THEIR first for Petty????????????????????? You've got it backwards 

No, Petty is a premiership winning key defender and is 24. Houston is a 27 hear old half back flanker. AA maybe, but half backs are a dime a dozen. JT picks them for fun. Key position players are always worth more than half backs.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

4 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

No, Petty is a premiership winning key defender and is 24. Houston is a 27 hear old half back flanker. AA maybe, but half backs are a dime a dozen. JT picks them for fun. Key position players are always worth more than half backs.

You are delusional 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, adonski said:

You are delusional 

Righto, maybe that can be my new display name when I'm allowed to change it again...

• Haha 1

I'm assuming our interest in him was before our youth explosion post the Collingwood game? 

Now that we've unearthed Moniz the Wiz, McVee has exploded and Salem has slid back into a half back role. 

Unless we plan on turning Salem into a full-time mid going forward next year, which I wouldn't mind. 

Just seems a strange thing that we'd be into him to me?

• Like 2

I would be more than happy to cough up a top 10 pick and petty or 2 mid-late firsts for Houston, we are talking about THE best kick in the league which elite kicking is our biggest weakness IMO it's an absolute no brainer. His ability to kick 60m accurate bullets is incredible and the pure goalkicking threat outside 50 is so valuable he kicked 3 of them in the same game against Hawks this year. We should still get 5 years of his best for what will be a back-to-back all australian at the end of the year, we should be doing everything we can to get this over the line to contend whilst Max & May are still at their best.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, Gawndog98 said:

I would be more than happy to cough up a top 10 pick and petty or 2 mid-late firsts for Houston, we are talking about THE best kick in the league which elite kicking is our biggest weakness IMO it's an absolute no brainer. His ability to kick 60m accurate bullets is incredible and the pure goalkicking threat outside 50 is so valuable he kicked 3 of them in the same game against Hawks this year. We should still get 5 years of his best for what will be a back-to-back all australian at the end of the year, we should be doing everything we can to get this over the line to contend whilst Max & May are still at their best.

That is overs IMO. 1 first round pick or swap for Petty and potentially some change. His form is down on previous years.

But agree on everything else. Would give us much better ball movement and transition out of defensive half. 

Dan Houston is the 33rd ranked player in the AFL this year according to Wheelo Ratings.

Gawn and Petracca are the only Demons ahead of him. He is definitely worth a 2024 first round pick.

By comparison, Isaac Cumming is ranked 90th. (But is a younger free agent.)

Trent Rivers is ranked 119th

Judd McVee is ranked 193rd

Salem is ranked 308th.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, middleagedemon said:

I'm assuming our interest in him was before our youth explosion post the Collingwood game? 

Now that we've unearthed Moniz the Wiz, McVee has exploded and Salem has slid back into a half back role. 

Unless we plan on turning Salem into a full-time mid going forward next year, which I wouldn't mind. 

Just seems a strange thing that we'd be into him to me?

I love Salem but I think relying on him to play a critical role moving forward is fraught with danger.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Id imagine a first round pick is about right for Dan Houston, who is a very good player but by no means a superstar level player. 

Houston is a gun and would be worth a first rounder at minimum on the trade market 

But I personally don’t want to give up our first pick this year unless it is very late

That’s why I’m glad we’re into Cumming - while not as highly rated he is a similar positional player who would cost us nothing as he is a FA 

Plus at 25 he’d fit our age profile nicely 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Dan Houston is the 33rd ranked player in the AFL this year according to Wheelo Ratings.

Gawn and Petracca are the only Demons ahead of him. He is definitely worth a 2024 first round pick.

By comparison, Isaac Cumming is ranked 90th. (But is a younger free agent.)

Trent Rivers is ranked 119th

Judd McVee is ranked 193rd

Salem is ranked 308th.

are these based on champion data rankings - if so, i believe there's a 40 game rolling scale?

@WheeloRatings can you pls confirm?

Edited by whatwhat say what

With all the youth coming through if we want to win a flag in the next 2-3 years we need to supplement the list with senior players in the 25-28yo range.  Houston seems a well rounded player and has hardly missed a game in 7 seasons.

Would be a good get even if we lost a first rounder

• Like 3

22 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Got filled with anticipation as I read this yest on insider trading & was hoping (feeling) we were one of the clubs mentioned, he’d be on of the absolute most ideal candidates I can think of in terms of adding to finish-off our side.. attributes are EXACTLY what we need! He’d offer value for money if we don’t overpay (bearing in mind most clubs are forced too in this day and age to remove from existing club but being vic boy helps this) and so when I saw our names mentioned for him and also Cumming — who when on the highly watchable ‘Gettable’ was mentioned, I had exact same thought and hope.. so to see both again shows me our club are ALWAYS on-point in him we target.. exciting stuff! 

Trading for DH we’d be offering picks with Petty for sure — but can’t see it happening, although him as a Def would be PERFECT for them.. we’d have to add a 2nd for sure.. But player for player trades seem almost dead and buried!

Edited by Tolstoys Nudge
Duplicated

Very very good player. Great interceptor and beautiful by foot. Some players get cheap stats for kick ins but his often really break the game open wonderfully. First rounder would be the starting point I think but likely something like our first and someone else's 2nd for Houston and a forth. Suspect he'll finish second in their bnf.

3 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

are these based on champion data rankings - if so, i believe there's a 40 game rolling scale?

@WheeloRatings can you pls confirm?

The Champion Data player ratings can be represented as an average per match over a given period (e.g. a season) which is how I present them on the website (and is what @Fat Tony has used):

https://www.wheeloratings.com/afl_stats.html?year=2024

In addition, these ratings can be presented as a rolling two-year (max 40 games) total, as you mentioned, and this is how they are presented on the AFL Stats Leaders page:

https://www.afl.com.au/stats/leaders?category=Key+Stats&seasonId=62&roundId=-1&roundNumber=0&sortColumn=ratingPoints&sortDirection=descending&positions=All&teams=All&benchmarking=false&dataType=averages&playerOneId=null&playerTwoId=null

I have previously calculated the ratings in the same way, but they're not on my website:

• Like 3

Is this another BS Tom Morris rumour? We are enraged when Morris touts Clayton as gettable but come up with all connotations to get Houston across the line. He is contracted for 3 years and until he says he wants out I take this rumour with a grain of salt.

• Like 2