Dan Houston

3 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

Meh ... Just looked and he's 27yrs old.
When I think of Port it's Wines, Butters, Rozee and Horn-Francis who come to mind.
Not Houston.
Must be an accumulator, someone who gets the ball a shedload but does nothing with it.
And if he was any good, I'd know who he was and Port would be better than they are.

That's actually his strength as a player. He does something with it. Quality not quantity.

His inside 50 entries are elite and something our club could only dream of.

I can see your point about Butters, Rozee and JHF getting all the attention though.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

11 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

That's actually his strength as a player. He does something with it. Quality not quantity.

His inside 50 entries are elite and something our club could only dream of.

I can see your point about Butters, Rozee and JHF getting all the attention though.

Gotta be close to the best 'kick into 50' player going around. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

Meh ... Just looked and he's 27yrs old.
When I think of Port it's Wines, Butters, Rozee and Horn-Francis who come to mind.
Not Houston.
Must be an accumulator, someone who gets the ball a shedload but does nothing with it.
And if he was any good, I'd know who he was and Port would be better than they are.

Saty trigger alert! Who else remembers the Gaff-as-accumulator brouhaha?! 👀🕵🏻😂

The thing with the Houston debate that i really think should become a norm in the AFL is the clubs power to trade contracted players. I have a view the players should be able to nominate a state, but beyond that if they're contracted and request a trade it'd effectively be consent to go to whichever club in that state can facilitate the best deal. Why should Port have to accept a lesser deal because of a players preference to get to Collingwood or Carlton? 

Players have far too much power in my opinion and it's working directly against the agenda of equalization. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

Why should Port have to accept a lesser deal because of a players preference to get to Collingwood or Carlton? 

That is also what the media spend most of the trade period advocating for. Can include Geelong in that. Most other clubs - well nobody would want to go there according to Manure, Morris etc. 

• Like 2

Dees likely to get Houston

Dees turmoil and Houston likely to stay at Port

Houston back in the market

Pies do the deal to win the dual All Australian

Pies salary cap just keeps on getting bigger and bigger

I really really hate the Pies … so much more if that’s even possible.   
Saturday Night Live Snl GIF by The Lonely Island

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Pies have given up a 1st and a 2nd round pick and two players they didn’t want to give up (only fringe of best team to be fair). On the other hand, they have absolutely mortgaged their future. It’s hardly making out like bandits.

The two first round picks for Houston narrative was fanciful. Even Lever’s trade (21yo who had just made the AA squad) had a second rounder (pick 35) coming back to us.

• Like 6

Seems like a fair trade all round I reckon 

Lukosius could thrive in a new environment 

I wouldn’t be giving up a first rounder, two good young players and pick 36 for a 28yo HB. Admittedly a good one

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Seems like a fair trade all round I reckon 

Lukosius could thrive in a new environment 

I wouldn’t be giving up a first rounder, two good young players and pick 36 for a 28yo HB. Admittedly a good one

All I can say is Pies paid full price for Houston and I am glad that he chose not to come to us, Port could do ok I like Lukosius and Gold Coast get to death ride Pies and Port next year, a bit jealous actually.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ted Lasso said:

Players have far too much power in my opinion and it's working directly against the agenda of equalization. 

This is a pathetic outcome for Port and says something about their culture.

They hold all the cards with an enforceable contract . Yet they let go an AA defender who some on here say is the best inside 50 kick in the game.

Again- pathetic by Port Board.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

You hate to see him land at the Pies but overall I’m glad we didn’t trade for him 

Don’t get me wrong he’s an elite player but I’d rather take picks 5 and 9 to the draft to add elite talent to our young core

And with uncertainty around Trac and Clarry and aging stars like Gawn and May, we need all the young talent we can get to avoid bottoming out when Tassie comes in

Gee he would have been handy a year or two back though - could have been the difference in 22 or 23 

• Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

18 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

I wonder if Brand Petracca whispered in Houston's ear a month ago : we'll see you at the Pies in 2026

Weird Al Tin Foil Hat GIF

They have even less to trade for him now. AFL won't let them trade 2 F1s for a 30yr old when they aren't taking a first rounder this year

• Like 1