POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

McAdam is in our best 7 forwards on exposed talent and historical performance. He is coming from an interrupted pre-season and season. We need him as we need to evolve toward our medium forwards which are far more effective than our taller forwards and also more impactful in our new gameplan of quick transitional movement off the backline to short options across half forward.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Has anyone ever seen a coach who cares less than Ross Lyon? He seems absolutely bored and disinterested.

Well I would be bored and disinterested too if I had to watch the Saints play every week. 
They overachieved last year now back to the reality of a middle of the road team miles away from a premiership. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, demon3165 said:

And whose job is that to implement?

Maybe when we get a new forward coach with forward skills?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

1 hour ago, demon3165 said:

And who's job is that to implement?

It would probably fall to a thorough coaching team that had a truly focussed intent for the players so involved, who learnt lessons, reviewed matches and performances, provided real adjustments to what had gone before and who would follow through over time to see it achieved. It would not be a singular affair, at all.

2 hours ago, roy11 said:

AFL Rd 11 -  Narrm v Euro-Yroke

This fella tho, unreal

interesting read from AFL App. Good to see Goody has that side to him

“But then I worked out I wasn't playing, so that's what the hysteria was. 

"Goody had made the decision that he wasn't going to risk me." 

Despite passing the fitness test, Gawn still had to clear one more hurdle when he was confronted by Goodwin in the change room before the match. 

"I get downstairs and (Goodwin) is involved in a different conversation with the coaches about pulling me (out of the game)," Gawn said. 

"He comes right up in my face, like nose-to-nose sort of stuff, and he goes, 'Are you ready to perform?'. 

I'm like, 'Oh yeah, I'm ready to get out of here'. And he goes, 'No, no, no. Are you ready to perform?'. 

"That's all I heard in the first 10 minutes (of the game); in the back of my head was Goody, 'Are you ready to perform?'. 

"It clearly worked." 

• Like 4
  • Clap 4

10 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

It would probably fall to a thorough coaching team that had a truly focussed intent for the players so involved, who learnt lessons, reviewed matches and performances, provided real adjustments to what had gone before and who would follow through over time to see it achieved. It would not be a singular affair, at all.

Stafford is the forward coach a ruckman, young players need coaching on forward craft as it is the hardest position to play we have had problems since 21 even Goodwin has admitted that.

• Like 2

Bit late here. But it was great to see us back in form. Thought we blew a few opportunities in the first and second quarter but rallied in the 3rd. Glad to see Tomlinson and McDonald play well. Petracca solid as usual. Gawn, what can I say? Absolute masterclass. Couldn’t fault him. Marked well and kicked well. Really great game after an average  performance last week.

I know St Kilda isn’t much, but I hope this win helps our side with confidence. Was hoping for a 50+ win but I feel they took it easy in the last few minutes. Oh well, rather see them not risk injuries.

Well done boys 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Free kicks:  21 to 10 :cool:

Aside from my delight at that I thought the game was well umpired.  At the ground there didn't seem to be too many 'clangers' and rarely was there an uproar from the crowd over a free paid or not paid.

I actually felt a bit sorry for the Saints - that moment of weakness vanished when they put on three junk time goals ...

The StKilda boo boys/girls did not travel from "Mickey Mouse Stadium" so clearly the umpires were not affected.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dee*ceiving said:

Umpires umpiring Max properly vs Saints, a game we're likely to win anyway, to minimise derision when he get's no sympathy vs Freo and Pies 😏

Well the good news tonight is that the pies Cox is out for at least a month. Hate the way he just drives his knee into Max and others. Grub.

• Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Clap 1

Unable to go yesterday as recovering from a nasty operation. I see 37,500 were there but viewing the game there seemed very few St Kilda supporters there. They really seem reluctant to travel to our game.

I'm more concerned about our own supporters reluctant to travel to our game, than a poor saints team. I don't blame the saints fans for not turning up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

It wasn’t a stand rule free kick, it was a cribbing the mark free kick.

It was paid against King for taking the position both over and diagonally across the mark when not in the contest.

If you’re in the contest the umpire will usually pull you back and set the mark. In an uncontested situation like this the onus is on the defensive player to not blatantly push their luck. 

It usually depends on who you play for like wobbles and scum

7 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Really happy about the umpiring with a 'sudden' observation of how much Gawn gets belted, held, interfered-with by opposition transgressors of all reputations, awarding appropriate free kicks to the Big Gentleman in an attempt to eradicate these rule violations (for the first time in recent years of footy) as each occurred. It does suggest, thankfully, a mist of neo-Gothic splendour in regards to fairer play, fairer umpiring, fairer opportunity and it echoes far and wide across the field of play as the game progresses. 

Max doesn't usually get any, so when you take off his it was closer to par.

45 minutes ago, MT64 said:

Unable to go yesterday as recovering from a nasty operation. I see 37,500 were there but viewing the game there seemed very few St Kilda supporters there. They really seem reluctant to travel to our game.

41 minutes ago, danielE288 said:

I'm more concerned about our own supporters reluctant to travel to our game, than a poor saints team. I don't blame the saints fans for not turning up.

Both are an issue. 

There were probably 30,000 of us and 7,500 of them yesterday. But that’s not enough of us. 3.20pm timeslot, beautiful weather, we just need to get more people to these sorts of games. 

At a time when three Marvel clubs are lobbying the AFL to transfer home games to the G, if we can’t draw big enough crowds I worry we are exposing ourselves to losing home games to Marvel.

• Like 3

Exactly right. We need to get more fan to our home games, it's embarrassing, and as you mention it will likely see us having to go to Marvel should Essendon, Carlton & Collingwood request they play less games there.

A Hawks fan was mocking us on the train home, saying we can't even get over 40k when we're a decent team, what about when we inevitably drop down the ladder, hard to argue with him really.

1 hour ago, danielE288 said:

Exactly right. We need to get more fan to our home games, it's embarrassing, and as you mention it will likely see us having to go to Marvel should Essendon, Carlton & Collingwood request they play less games there.

A Hawks fan was mocking us on the train home, saying we can't even get over 40k when we're a decent team, what about when we inevitably drop down the ladder, hard to argue with him really.

Hawthorn couldn't even get 30,000 at Marvel. Pathetic for a "big club.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

You think that now, but if it happens you’ll change your mind. I used to have a soft spot for Geelong due to family being catters, and I felt bad when they lost all those grand finals and wished them well.. now 4 flags later they can all get [redacted]!

Everyone is insufferable when they’re winning, except us. 

Yeah but insufferable Cats and Saints fans are infinitely more tolerable than insufferable Pies/Blues/Bombers fans.

Even with their flags I haven't found Tigers fans to be too insufferable, the trauma runs deep at Punt Rd 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Both are an issue. 

There were probably 30,000 of us and 7,500 of them yesterday. But that’s not enough of us. 3.20pm timeslot, beautiful weather, we just need to get more people to these sorts of games. 

At a time when three Marvel clubs are lobbying the AFL to transfer home games to the G, if we can’t draw big enough crowds I worry we are exposing ourselves to losing home games to Marvel.

That will never happen. The Marvel games are the lesser Clubs and we have an historical link that the AFL would not break. We have requested  no hosting games at Marvel  and the AFL are on board. 

I think the attendances at the G which average 44,500 with poor support from Dogs Lions and Saints under 10,000 plus Cats about 12/15,000. If we had beaten WC we would have had another 5,000 yesterday. The figures are good for the teams we are playing ( except Cats) as years ago we regularly got about 25,000 of our fans. Now it’s mostly around 35,000 and with blockbusters vs Dons and Pies 75/88000 plus is likely to either. 
We need to get near as 35,000 or more at Port GWS and North and 30,000 at WC really. Let’s remember Saints form is not good and no player magnets drawing fans of the opp teams.
Our overall result would be only about 20/25,000 below for the 10 games averaging 48,000 for home games very near the Plan for an average of 50,000 in 2020.  

That will be the extra 2,500 each game either we or our opposition could/ should be getting.over the 10 games at home.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, JJJ said:

It probably tells us that JVR is not impactful enough to swim against the tide. As in his goal tally is a result of a dominant midfield, not him dominating an opponent.

You're kidding right.

That's what you take from that data - JVR is not impactful enough?

Kids has just turned 21 and in my opinion is the best forward 21 and under in the game. And in the next 3-4 years will develop into the best key forward full stop. 

People rightly rate Ugle Hagan highly. So do i. This is how their season's compare thus far.

JUH shades JVR in most stats, most notably contested marks, but not all.

JVR has JUH well and truly covered for disposal efficiency and has half the number of clangers. And unlike JUH, JVR does not have the luxury of swanning around the forward line the whole game, having to take 20 odd ruck contests game as our second ruck. No mean feat for a 21 year old. Probably explains why he is worth more for super coach. 

And of course a key point is JUH is a year older than JVR and has another year of AFL level development. 

Player Statistics Comparison

Jacob Van Rooyen Name Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
Melbourne Demons Team Western Bulldogs
Forward Position Forward
30 Career Games 54
Claremont Origin Oakleigh Chargers
April 16, 2003 Date of Birth April 4, 2002
21yr 1mth Age 22yr 1mth
193cm Height 197cm
96kg Weight 91kg
2021 National Draft Last Drafted In 2020 National Draft
Round 1, Pick #19 Last Draft Position Round 1, Pick #1
Melbourne Demons Last Drafted By Western Bulldogs
2024 Stats for Season 2024
10 Games 9
5.2 Kicks 8.6
4.2 Handballs 2.4
9.4 Disposals 11.0
3.1 Marks 5.1
1.3 Goals 1.8
0.6 Behinds 1.7
1.7 Tackles 1.3
3.5 Hitouts 0
1.5 Inside 50s 1.9
0.4 Goal Assists 0.2
1.2 Frees For 0.9
0.9 Frees Against 1.1
4.3 Contested Possessions 5.9
5.1 Uncontested Possessions 5.3
7.3 Effective Disposals 5.7
77.7% Disposal Efficiency % 51.8%
1.8 Clangers 3.6
0.6 Contested Marks 2.2
1.3 Marks Inside 50 3.1
0.8 Clearances 0.6
0 Rebound 50s 0
1.5 One Percenters 0.8
0.1 Bounces 0
75.0 Time On Ground % 84.4
0.3 Centre Clearances 0
0.5 Stoppage Clearances 0.6
4.3 Score Involvements 5.3
135.7 Metres Gained 230.1
1.9 Turnovers 3.1
0.5 Intercepts 0.4
0.6 Tackles Inside 50 0.6
$426,000 AFL Fantasy Price $502,000
50.5 AFL Fantasy Score 61.1
$283,900 Supercoach Price $281,000
54.8 Supercoach Score 58.1
Edited by binman
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, ANG13 said:

Well I would be bored and disinterested too if I had to watch the Saints play every week. 
They overachieved last year now back to the reality of a middle of the road team miles away from a premiership. 

I'm struggling watching us week after week.
And we're supposed to be good.
This week I watched the 1st half.
Half time I decided I wasn't gonna waste the whole afternoon watching this boring sheet and so headed to the back yard.
I get out there and Nathan Brown's on the radio talking about the Aints making the game a boring scrap in order to stay in touch with us.
I'm there thinking "BS, it's us who turn games into boring scrap .... Every forken week, no matter who we play."
Goodwin is wasting the golden window to build this club boring us all to tears.
And then we lose to teams like West Coast led by a kid.
We might not be as far away from another flag than the aints but we're drifting away, not closer.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

I'm struggling watching us week after week.
This week I watched the 1st half.
Half time I decided I wasn't gonna waste the whole afternoon watching this boring sheet and so headed to the back yard.
I get out there and Nathan Brown's on the radio talking about the Aints making the game a boring scrap in order to stay in touch with us.
I'm there thinking "BS, it's us who turn games into boring scrap .... Every forken week, no matter who we play."
Goodwin is wasting the golden window to build this club boring us all to tears.
And then we lose to teams like West Coast led by a kid.
We might not be as far away from another flag than the aints but we're drifting away, not closer.

You might not have watched the second half but did you check the scores?

And did you even watch the first half? It was awfully scrappy but we weren't a team just living in the scrap, we were actually proactive about moving the ball.

I certainly hope we can find a more fluent gear soon but our players have been trying to open games up.

We don't have high quality kicks in our midfield, we don't have any truly elite forwards or even 1 above average tall forward. We aren't designed to produce champagne football.

• Like 2