NON-MFC: Round 11

14 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

no, jackson netted us the the picks that became jefferson and windsor; the latter is already a key member of our (possible) top 4 side in 2024

from a player personnel perspective, i'd say grundy was the replacement for jackson; grundy didn't suit our structure as he was unable to play anything other than as starting ruck / robbed gawn of his ability to be the #1 ruckman in the game; subsequently grundy was effectively replaced by fullarton - one vfl player in 2023 replacing one vfl player in 2024 - albeit at a salary cap saving of probably ~$400k per annum

schache replaced weideman - one vfl player in 2022 replacing one vfl player in 2023

I am talking about our list as it Stands

Not the mechanics of how it got there. 

We have downgraded over the last 2 years….

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

And another thing: why does it feel like every week is a Tom Hawkins milestone/tribute/celebration of some sort or other?????

Another big milestone next week as Hawkins not only extends his lead as the Cats all time games holder but doubles it!

free oiling/greasing for the first 100 fans to boo the umps on the night 

• Haha 7

34 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I hope McAdam can show us something, but he is very injury prone, if you know any Crows Supporters, they weren’t too fussed losing him

How about backing him in. He’s one of us now… give him a chance ffs.  By all means go nuts if he fails (you will anyways) but before he even gets off the ground, how about supporting him. Besides, who gives a fat rat’s what Crows supporters think of him.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Again, no credit whatsoever to the oppo (again).

Apparently the Cats played poorly for a half but then improved immensely in the 2nd.

And poorly for three quarters against us.  He can't move on from that loss which is great to hear.

It’s alarm bells for Scott as the cats just lost to a GWS team at home that is out of form and not kicking straight. I’ve been following GWS all year (I really like how they play and reckon Kingsley is a very good coach,) and todays performance by GWS was about 80% of their best. 

Edited by BoBo
80% is too low, but GWS weren’t anywhere near their best
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I can’t agree with that, our list has become way more inferior up forward since LJ left 

Of course it isn't.   Jackson is one unique player and cannot be easily replaced.  Who was on the market at the time we should have gone for, and got???

25 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Again, no credit or mention (by name) of the oppo.

Apparently the Cats played poorly for a half but then improved immensely in the 2nd.

And poorly for three quarters against us.  He can't move on from that loss which is great to hear.

Full post-match, R11: Cats
https://www.afl.com.au/video/1138283

Does this bloke ever give credit to the opposition? Recognise the fact that they lost Coniglio early? Seriously. 

• Like 4

What a nonsense PITB that was.  The tackler held him up until he decided to drive his legs forward and then dive to the ground.

Staging of the highest order but all umps fell for it.....again!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Of course it isn't.   Jackson is one unique player and cannot be easily replaced.  Who was on the market at the time we should have gone for, and got???

Not much, which is why we shouldn’t have let other players leave since. We now have a large imbalance 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Again, no credit or mention (by name) of the oppo.

Full post-match, R11: Cats
https://www.afl.com.au/video/1138283

2 observations from Scott's "press conference" (only watched the first half; couldn't bear or hear any more)

1/ what a miserable sod he is, "we played badly" not "GW$ played well" etc etc. Same every week.

2/ what a tight a*sed organisation is the AFL.  Any decent professionally run organisation would shell out a few bucks for a couple of roaming microphones and only allow questions through these microphones.  Instead we may hear a bit of a mumble from the background and the answer refers to something that we haven't heard.  It has annoyed me for decades.  First I thought it may be the MFC being tight but it seems to be throughout the competition.   (Same applies to the score review amateur hour technology - shameful stuff Dill)

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 4
  • Clap 2

29 minutes ago, BoBo said:

It’s alarm bells for Scott as the cats just lost to a GWS team at home that is out of form and not kicking straight. I’ve been following GWS all year (I really like how they play and reckon Kingsley is a very good coach,) and todays performance by GWS was about 80% of their best. 

18 minutes ago, Deelectable said:

Does this bloke ever give credit to the opposition? Recognise the fact that they lost Coniglio early? Seriously. 

13 minutes ago, monoccular said:

2 observations from Scott's "press conference" (only watched the first half; couldn't bear or hear any more)

1/ what a miserable sod he is, "we played badly" not "GW$ played well" etc etc. Same every week.

2/ what a tight a*sed organisation is the AFL.  Any decent professionally run organisation would shell out a few bucks for a couple of roaming microphones and only allow questions through these microphones.  Instead we may hear a bit of a mumble from the background and the answer refers to something that we haven't heard.  It has annoyed me for decades.  First I thought it may be the MFC being tight but it seems to be throughout the competition.   (Same applies to the score review amateur hour technology - shameful stuff Dill)

I think the term is something alomg the lines of ... 'Grumpy old Bastard'

• Clap 4

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Losing Brayshaw and Jordon.
Angus was never going to pass a medical after last September,

Unless you are part of his medical team that statement does nothing for your credibility 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, sue said:

Unless you are part of his medical team that statement does nothing for your credibility 

I have had a brain injury. So i know a little bit about it, does that measure up for cred?

• Sad 1

I can't remember the last time I "barracked" for the Tiges, but I really like a few of their young players, and their game plan looks really good. If they can actually finish some of the good work upfield, they could win this. Repeated errors at half forward are killing them.

And let me reiterate for umpteenth time - I despise the Bummers, so it is very easy to barrack against them.

• Like 1
  • Clap 2

24 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Bombers getting smashed in the middle. man they are a rubbish team. can’t wait to revel in their demise

How are they going on points from turnover? 

8 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

I can't remember the last time I "barracked" for the Tiges, but I really like a few of their young players, and their game plan looks really good. If they can actually finish some of the good work upfield, they could win this. Repeated errors at half forward are killing them.

And let me reiterate for umpteenth time - I despise the Bummers, so it is very easy to barrack against them.

There's the Yze factor too right?

For a team full of injuries, they're looking ok this week. They really work hard off half back and run it well through the middle

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brownie said:

There's the Yze factor too right?

For a team full of injuries, they're looking ok this week. They really work hard off half back and run it well through the middle

I can see what they are trying to do, but in every good chain of footy between half back and half forward, that last disposal includes an easy turnover error. And it looks like they are tiring now and so Essendon begin to look ok. 

Tigers are not great and in my opinion essendoom are pretenders sitting in the top part , not really a finals side but will probably get there, Play us and put us out,

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Much prefer watching VFL (Casey) now D17.  The umpiring there is at least a pass mark most weeks and i don't have to put up with "enter the sandman" pre match type rubbish plus the gound MC voice blaring in my ears at every single break.

Its old school footy and just pure footy watching the boys develop and hone their skills / craft plus see how some of the seniors are doing post injury / recovery.

It's also an easy get in terms of parking and price (or no cost using the membership) as the case may be.  The food is basic but reasonably priced or you can just take your own stuff with you.

Most games are also during the day, making the standard fairly reasonable without the greasy / slippery ball stuff that you get at night time matches.  Of which we seem to play alot of!

Add to that the ever increasing cost, no cash accepted nonsense, AFL fixture / start up club bias, the constant "it's this week or that week build ups" and it all adds up to a big turn off for me now.

The AFL is sucking the life and enjoyment out of the big stage stuff now.

Comprehensive but close to the mark I reckon.

I'm going tomorrow but won't miss live AFL for next few weeks given Dees are away and I don't find any non-Dees game engaging anymore.  I used to watch a lot.  Its a bit sad.

But go Dees.  Top 4 after tomorrow. 

• Like 1