• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: QF vs Collingwood

Demonland

1 hour ago, Tarax Club said:

The question on many DL watchers lips WWSW, Is with Jake Melksham a likely out who will come into the QF team? Options appear limited with successive season ending injuries to forwards in recent weeks. Like for like is not going to happen, so other options will need to be explored. Tom MacDonald also has had an impact since return from injury, kudos to the recovery and re-conditioning staff. But is he capable of performing like Harrison Petty and Bayley Fritsch and positively impacting in a high stakes final? Surprisingly, Brody Grundy has done his chances no harm of a senior recall, based on his most recent Casey outing.

Tmac is an interesting beast  In reality he only has to turn back the clock for 3 games....thats all  ( in a fashion )

I think many under-rate Tmas...I used to.. Then I started to actually watch HIM at games( or as I could on the box ). I'd be very interested tohear from the trackwatchers  who attend the Magoos.  What kind of role has he been playing since he's completed his road back from injuries ??  In many ways he IS exactly that player that Grundy was supposed to morph into. The upside ...he already IS that player....no morphing required. He's big enough and knowledgable enough to take a few taps here and there.. He can link up as a higher forward...he has the strength to mark the ball in packs.  Is he still reasonably mobile ??  I'd be interested.   He's not Milkshake....no one is Milkshake...but a fit and firing Tommy Mac is a pretty handy player...And he wont be fazed by these being finals..

So...all stats aside....  how is Tommy travelling...and what's been his role ...as far as anyone can discern ??

cheers

If we can halve the first half of the game,I am confident we will outlast them in the 2nd half. 

We are running games out similarly to 21

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, DubDee said:

i did watch the game and Bowey played well for sure. but he has been inconsistent over the past month or so. i would prefer the experience and big body of Hibberd down back. also gives us a taller defender if someone goes down. Bowey would be stiff for sure but McVee has been better imo

Hibberd is past it.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Tmac is an interesting beast  In reality he only has to turn back the clock for 3 games....thats all  ( in a fashion )

I think many under-rate Tmas...I used to.. Then I started to actually watch HIM at games( or as I could on the box ). I'd be very interested tohear from the trackwatchers  who attend the Magoos.  What kind of role has he been playing since he's completed his road back from injuries ??  In many ways he IS exactly that player that Grundy was supposed to morph into. The upside ...he already IS that player....no morphing required. He's big enough and knowledgable enough to take a few taps here and there.. He can link up as a higher forward...he has the strength to mark the ball in packs.  Is he still reasonably mobile ??  I'd be interested.   He's not Milkshake....no one is Milkshake...but a fit and firing Tommy Mac is a pretty handy player...And he wont be fazed by these being finals..

So...all stats aside....  how is Tommy travelling...and what's been his role ...as far as anyone can discern ??

cheers

He's okay but he's not fast anymore. What he will do is draw the number 1 tall defender thus allowing JVR a better chance.

At Casey he was playing deep in the main which won't work at AFL level. It's about balance. Had Melksham not been injured he would have been challenging for Smith's spot.

We need to beat the Pies simply because we have no more tall forwards in the cupboard and each game carries an injury risk

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

He's okay but he's not fast anymore. What he will do is draw the number 1 tall defender thus allowing JVR a better chance.

At Casey he was playing deep in the main which won't work at AFL level. It's about balance. Had Melksham not been injured he would have been challenging for Smith's spot.

We need to beat the Pies simply because we have no more tall forwards in the cupboard and each game carries an injury risk

Thanks Jim...   I didnt see him playing the Melky role....but was interested what Toms footy was about now. I 've noticed he's lost a yard but depending on where you are...maybe not the be al land end all.....maybe.  Thanks for the run-down.  Relieving the Roo from the grasp on their #1 defender would be a plus.   Going to be interesting to see what the FD do.

It's paramount not to allow a defence like Collingwoods to get any rhythm going.. Need them worrying about us...not us them.

2 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Out: Melk

In: Grundy

trying out for the Comedy Festival there Nash.... not sure if serious.    I would have thought anexchange of role/abilities more fitting.  No ??

3 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

trying out for the Comedy Festival there Nash.... not sure if serious.    I would have thought anexchange of role/abilities more fitting.  No ??

Serious but with about 3 seconds of thought given to it bub. TMac is more likely, in any case I think a role shuffle is inevitable with a hybrid going out and the best remaining options being talls.

• Like 1

I'll let someone else start the "what they are saying down at..." thread, but the general sentiment from what I've seen is that they think they''ll beat us comfortably, with various rationalisations as to why they lost last time.

QB/KB is our grand final; they had multiple players injured/unavailable/sick, whereas we "only had Oliver out"; they know how we beat them last time and it wont happen again.. etc

Most are assuming Moore will be back.

Also lots of discussion re them playing 1 or 2 rucks, whether Grundy will play, and about Howe playing forward in a defensive role on Lever.

Edited by JTR

1 hour ago, binman said:

Surely no one thinks they will be easy to beat. 

I certainly don't.

But i think we will beat them.

By the by, the Pies are currently 1.84 favorites and we are 2.00, with the line at 1.5

That is as good as even money, but i suspect we will in fact start close favorites.

A genuine 50 50 game.

That we will win. 

I want to believe, any cold hard facts to support this?

I too believe our best can beat anyone.

The Filth have 2 Ruckmen who will both have Max in their sites. 
we should consider rotating Grundy off the Bench, whilst we can. This is September. 
play him against his old team, who discarded him…

We need Max for a month of serious work 

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

Surely no one thinks they will be easy to beat. 

I certainly don't.

But i think we will beat them.

By the by, the Pies are currently 1.84 favorites and we are 2.00, with the line at 1.5

That is as good as even money, but i suspect we will in fact start close favorites.

A genuine 50 50 game.

That we will win. 

Keep in mind that odds are a reflection on the bookies' liability. There are so many Collingwood supporters, I assume there's more money being held for a Collingwood win just for this reason alone. Hence, Collingwood's odds might be a bit shorter with the betting companies than they truly deserve. Nevertheless, I can see the argument that they deserve to start favourites.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Thanks Jim...   I didnt see him playing the Melky role....but was interested what Toms footy was about now. I 've noticed he's lost a yard but depending on where you are...maybe not the be al land end all.....maybe.  Thanks for the run-down.  Relieving the Roo from the grasp on their #1 defender would be a plus.   Going to be interesting to see what the FD do.

It's paramount not to allow a defence like Collingwoods to get any rhythm going.. Need them worrying about us...not us them.

TMac’s point of difference used to be that he could run all day and create separation, but the TMac I saw on the Casey highlights does not look like that TMac.

If we apply forward 50 pressure like KB and against Sydney, we win on scores from forward half turnover and don’t need an extra big body.  TMac, in my opinion, will be like that broken link in the chain that sees f50 pressure unravel.  Better to go smaller and more mobile and cut Collingwoods rebound off. 

• Thinking 1

4 hours ago, YearOfTheDees said:

Casey play Williamstown this weekend. So I guess its a manage Mac and Grundy in case needed. Maybe a few others as well. Collingwood play Footscray. You would hope both these game were on the Saturday but would but nothing past the AFL. 

That's not correct. Casey are playing Footscray at Box Hill Oval on Saturday at noon.

Collingwood are playing Williamstown on Saturday at 3pm.

Anyone in the frame for the QF the following Thursday is unlikely to play or if they do it will be limited minutes.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Serious but with about 3 seconds of thought given to it bub. TMac is more likely, in any case I think a role shuffle is inevitable with a hybrid going out and the best remaining options being talls.

Agree with the shuffle aspect. 

I expect the FD were starting to think the f50 might be starting to settle....and whamo.

Guess we'll know next Tuesday/Wed.. ..  training might offer up some clues.

We wait

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Keep in mind that odds are a reflection on the bookies' liability. There are so many Collingwood supporters, I assume there's more money being held for a Collingwood win just for this reason alone. Hence, Collingwood's odds might be a bit shorter with the betting companies than they truly deserve. Nevertheless, I can see the argument that they deserve to start favourites.

My thoughts also...  weight of numbers and emotive delusion ....

Happy to be the 'underdogs'... the hunters..

18 minutes ago, JTR said:

I'll let someone else start the "what they are saying down at..." thread, but the general sentiment from what I've seen is that they think they''ll beat us comfortably, with various rationalisations as to why they lost last time.

QB/KB is our grand final; they had multiple players injured/unavailable/sick, whereas we "only had Oliver out"; they know how we beat them last time and it wont happen again.. etc

Most are assuming Moore will be back.

Also lots of discussion re them playing 1 or 2 rucks, whether Grundy will play, and about Howe playing forward in a defensive role on Lever.

They are calling the KB Game the FLU Game lol, track was sick all week look how he went on the weekend, they don’t get much more arrogant than Pies supporters 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Absolutely zero chance Bowey is getting dropped..

Actually watch yesterday's game and you'll see that Bowey defended really well and won some critical intercept possessions. 

Just hoping Bowey's shoulder is okay, it had to be popped back in during the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

There was a total stuff on Ladbroke yesterday when the odds for the first week went up. Our game was right but they had the Lions at $4.75 with Port at $1.33 some for the Blues and Swans game. Three of the games were removed and only went back up today. Wonder if anyone got on and if the bets will stand. Ladbrokes have a history of canceling bets. 

• Shocked 1

14 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The Filth have 2 Ruckmen who will both have Max in their sites. 
we should consider rotating Grundy off the Bench, whilst we can. This is September. 
play him against his old team, who discarded him…

We need Max for a month of serious work 

There are some good points there - and Grundy should be able to display some personal pride in his form against the former club. I suspect skinny, meatless Cox will avoid attempting to maim Grundy, but Max is going to be his target with the knee and boot-stub. Get Cox angry, or humiliate him, and he goes to water, becoming totally ineffective. Grundy will know this; Grundy should have a tactic or two to invoke this. Max will play his game and will still be a target all around the ground. We must keep Maxie on two feet - no falling over - support and protection must be rendered. Max will take us to a win in the GF if we can do this, taking no prisoners elsewhere on the ground - we must ensure that he remains injury-free. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

TMac’s point of difference used to be that he could run all day and create separation, but the TMac I saw on the Casey highlights does not look like that TMac.

If we apply forward 50 pressure like KB and against Sydney, we win on scores from forward half turnover and don’t need an extra big body.  TMac, in my opinion, will be like that broken link in the chain that sees f50 pressure unravel.  Better to go smaller and more mobile and cut Collingwoods rebound off. 

Don't necessarily disagree..

But begs the question.... who ? 

Am not aware of any Milky clones waiting in the wings .  Imho...who ever is going to play...is playing as a fwd...so better know what they're doing.

Even with a likely shuffle of sorts as alluded to by Nash...  the ? Is who 

We're not swimming in Med Forwards ( my opinion  )

Of those that come to mind... one is out of form/favour ..   the other a tad raw perhaps..  but so was Bowey in 21

One arguably created the catalyst thar swayed events in 21..  the other HAS the speed , agility and skills to perhaps make a fist of the role-required.

Bugger of a time to have to recast the Runes.

• Like 1