PREGAME: Rd 21 vs North Melbourne

Demonland

48 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

You can manage players without resting them. 
I think one of Woey, Harmes or JJ come out for Sparrow this week if he’s ok to play. 
I don’t think they’ll risk Oliver. 

I think next week is a great time to play Kosi and Rivers through the middle a bit more and give Viney a lot less time on the ball. 
The only thing I would consider is bringing Grundy in to give Gawn a chop out, but I don’t know who you drop for him. 

It is also entirely possible that Tomlinson is dropped and Smith plays down back for the full game. 

Gawn doesn't need rest he is a machine. The more game time he plays the better he is.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BDA said:

I say bring him in because is it North. A soft opponent so we won't be compromising our chance of winning the game by easing him back in against them.

Never played AFL, but i would never be stupid enough to say , soft opponent, is ever the case. 

20 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Think ahead W.... 6 weeks from now is when he's needed at his prime

You have a $1M per year AA ruckman in the Reserves

I have thought about it and this is my team.

IN: Grundy, Smith, Sparrow, Hibberd (sub)

OUT: Tomlinson, Jordon, Woewodin

B: McVee, May, Lever

HB: Salem, J.Smith, Rivers

C: Hunter, Sparrow, Langdon

HF: Petracca, van Rooyen, Neal-Bullen

F: Melksham, Petty, Pickett

FOLL: Gawn, Brayshaw, Viney

IC: Bowey, Grundy, Harmes, Chandler

SUB: Hibberd

EMERG: Jordon, Woewodin, Dunstan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

We are hitting form. Nobody is getting rested unless they’re injured. I expect Viney and Gawn to have far fewer TOG minutes during this game and Trac will play forward for longer, especially if Sparrow is back. 

Do not flirt with form. Port rested 9 players for their game against Carlton, and haven’t won a game since. 

I know it makes it a much more sensational story if you exagerate but in fact Port had 6 outs, only 2 of which were official omissions: Charlie Dixon (Injured),Jason Horne-Francis (Injured),Junior Rioli (Personal Reason),Quinton Narkle (Omitted),Sam Hayes (Omitted),Trent McKenzie (Injured). If you have good info on how many of those were rested I'm happy to hear it. 

2 hours ago, JTR said:

Deal  😁

I don't disagree with you re flirting with form, but we are playing an opponent who definitely won't want to win now that pick #1 is back on the table, so think it'd be safe enough to give guys who deserve the rest a break (Max/Viney).

Grundy needs to keep the km in the legs which he isn't getting at Casey and if we don't have a look at Dunstan now, it'll be too late to do it at all.

As for the omissions (Woey/JJ/Harmes), at least two of them aren't going to be playing finals if Oliver/Fritsch get back and I'd argue Sparrow & Hibberd should be in side ahead of a couple of them anyway.

Here we go again. Tanking BS. So they tried today but since they lost they won't care about winning against Melbourne! I haven't seen any evidence of North Melbourne or West Coast or Hawthorn or Fremantle or ..... anyone tanking but I guess if posters want to believe it then no evidence I produce is going to make any difference.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

I have thought about it and this is my team.

IN: Grundy, Smith, Sparrow, Hibberd (sub)

OUT: Tomlinson, Jordon, Woewodin

B: McVee, May, Lever

HB: Salem, J.Smith, Rivers

C: Hunter, Sparrow, Langdon

HF: Petracca, van Rooyen, Neal-Bullen

F: Melksham, Petty, Pickett

FOLL: Gawn, Brayshaw, Viney

IC: Bowey, Grundy, Harmes, Chandler

SUB: Hibberd

EMERG: Jordon, Woewodin, Dunstan

What did Grundy do at vfl level to demand a spot? Literally nothing 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, Sydney_Demon said:

I know it makes it a much more sensational story if you exagerate but in fact Port had 6 outs, only 2 of which were official omissions: Charlie Dixon (Injured),Jason Horne-Francis (Injured),Junior Rioli (Personal Reason),Quinton Narkle (Omitted),Sam Hayes (Omitted),Trent McKenzie (Injured). If you have good info on how many of those were rested I'm happy to hear it. 

Here we go again. Tanking BS. So they tried today but since they lost they won't care about winning against Melbourne! I haven't seen any evidence of North Melbourne or West Coast or Hawthorn or Fremantle or ..... anyone tanking but I guess if posters want to believe it then no evidence I produce is going to make any difference.

Calm down.

Both North and WC wont win another game for the year. Their drafting position is set.

We don't need to rest the likes of Gawn etc, especially when they're in a rich vein of form as is the team cohesion. 

My only pick would be Viney because of his shoulder. 

6 hours ago, Willmoy1947 said:

Never played AFL, but i would never be stupid enough to say , soft opponent, is ever the case. 

Fair. inexperienced and callow a better way of putting it.

IN: Grundy, Sparrow(If fit), Dunstan

Out: Max, Viney (If Sparrow fit), Harmes

Under no circumstances do I want Clayton playing in a game he isn't required to, an extra week to make sure he is right.

Viney deserves a rest and has been HUGE the past couple of weeks but it could be risky to rest him in this game unless we push Trac back into majority mid.

Harmes just looks a 2nd rate out on the field IMO and Sparrow is straight back in for him if fit and if that happen Is think you can make the Dunstan switch for viney.

Tomlinson to stay I just don't really think Smith is able to do what he does for 4 quarters and I think the FD knows this and he will be used as a sub no matter what he does, just like a 6th man in the NBA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Hawny for Gawny said:

IN: Grundy, Sparrow(If fit), Dunstan

Out: Max, Viney (If Sparrow fit), Harmes

Under no circumstances do I want Clayton playing in a game he isn't required to, an extra week to make sure he is right.

Viney deserves a rest and has been HUGE the past couple of weeks but it could be risky to rest him in this game unless we push Trac back into majority mid.

Harmes just looks a 2nd rate out on the field IMO and Sparrow is straight back in for him if fit and if that happen Is think you can make the Dunstan switch for viney.

Tomlinson to stay I just don't really think Smith is able to do what he does for 4 quarters and I think the FD knows this and he will be used as a sub no matter what he does, just like a 6th man in the NBA.

Grundy isn't coming in to the side. He did nothing to justify his spot. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

I think we've got out timing right this year and looked fresh across the board yesterday. We ran out the game brilliantly.

I doubt resting players is part of the plan for the rest of the season. Reduced TOG minutes yes but not resting. And I certainly wouldn't want to be the one telling Viney he's being managed. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tracca said:

Grundy isn't coming in to the side. He did nothing to justify his spot. 

Not based on Grundy form rather he has played well when playing #1 ruck and it is a chance to rest Max before finals, obviously I'm not a fitness expert and the high fitness coaches know what they are doing but Gawn is vital to a premiership push and playing him against Norf and him taking a beating again isn't necessary espaiclly with Grundy as an option.

• Like 2

No way do we risk Clarry against North in Tassie. Clarry can't help himself, and has to go at 100% so he will never "ease" into anything. Perhaps give him 60% game time, and sub him out early if they do decide to play him

OUT: Gawn, Viney, (both rested) Harmes, 

IN: Grundy, Sparrow, Hibberd

• Like 2

Goodwin said in the presser that least year Max rucked solo mostly all year . Inferring his late season fatigue. This year he's done it for only 3 weeks.

I think Max will star at finals time - he's just getting going.  I reckon Goody is set on this issue.

Jack Viney on the other head should be given a week off at home. He has carried the team with many others but inside the clinches big time with Clarry out. His spirit and fear he puts into the Oppo is mandatory for a flag.

He won't like a rest but he would say that anyway.  Please look after him Goody.

Edited by Demon17
spelling mistakes
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Love to see Dunstan get rewarded, would be an upgrade on Jordon.

Agree. Think he deserves a game and no better opportunity to give him one than this week

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, DemonWA said:

Agree. Think he deserves a game and no better opportunity to give him one than this week

I would have thought so.

Didn't feel like Jordon took the scruff of the neck on this game. 

11 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

No way do we risk Clarry against North in Tassie. Clarry can't help himself, and has to go at 100% so he will never "ease" into anything. Perhaps give him 60% game time, and sub him out early if they do decide to play him

OUT: Gawn, Viney, (both rested) Harmes, 

IN: Grundy, Sparrow, Hibberd

Absolutely  M38.  As someone on here said it'll be 12 degees down there.

I trust the coahes AND Clarry to have his touch back for the Blues. And he doesn't need to play lost of minutes.  We will have Tom Sparrow back into midfield then as well.

4 hours ago, Tracca said:

What did Grundy do at vfl level to demand a spot? Literally nothing 

It's to give Gawn a chop out for a week. He'll more than likely get dropped for the Carlton game when we get Clarry back.

• Like 1

I'm more along the lines of managing ruck minutes for Max rather than resting entirely. Possibly mid minutes for Viney as well. 

If we must go the resting route then it's probably 1-2 players max but I'm not super keen. I do think you can flirt with form and the mix too much and that would be dumb but I do see the side where some of these guys could use a little chop out. 

All in all I lean towards letting it ride and managing minutes in game as much as possible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1