• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell James Jordon

Demonland

I think he is still a year or two away from his peak as a footballer so I'd keep him if possible.

If you look at him up close he still looks like a kid, he still needs a good pre-season to develop further strength in his body. I hope we have seen the last of Harmes in the seniors and I also don't think Laurie will make it. It will be nice to have Jordan coming into the peak of his career in a year or two. I would hope and suggest he is a required player.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

Absolutely nothing like James MacDonald.

JM was the captain, B&F winner & AA.

James McDonald also spent his first nine seasons as a respectable and steadily improving part of the best 22, never a star before his triumphant flourishing when given responsibility in the midfield and as a leader, from 2006 on.

Jordon now is the age McDonald was in 1999.

I love James McDonald and the story of perseverance and growth which he adds to our club's history. He contributed well for almost a decade before finally becoming a truly outstanding player at his peak.

I'd argue there is no better analogy to refer to when we talk about losing James Jordon.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

No one else was the whole season and if Harmes wanted/needed to come off with a slight headache or sore fingernail, it was rough on JJ.

Knowing our luck they’d say we breached the rules and take the flag off us 🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The sub rules in 2021 required as I recall a medical opinion before activation. Sure some clubs were very lax about the threshold but if JJ had come on someone would have spilt the beans thus impugning the medico.

I like the May replacement theory though. Continued play when we had the game won was outweighed by the medical risk (albeit a slight risk) of severe tendon damage

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I rate him highly as a 200 gamer, meat-and-three-veg kind of player. Not a star player with a specific set of skills that set him apart, but does all the required things well. For mine, he is ahead of both Harmes and ANB as a midfield/utility. It appears that the selectors have him 'ranked' just behind Sparrow but I have them on an even par The issue is, he is on the edge of our best 22/23 and would slot into 14 of the other clubs easily.

I really hope he stays, but reckon we have already lost him. He has been sub or dropped too many times. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, beelzebub said:

A lot of competition for these spots.

We can't keep them all.

For us to improve, our lesser lights (second tier mids) need to take the next step. Rivers has (though he’s more of a backman), the likes of Jordon and Sparrow haven’t. 

It’s a cut-throat business, and retaining the likes of Jordon will not improve us as a team. Even if he stayed, he’s not guaranteed of more game-time as he is in the unenviable spot of being amongst our 16th-22nd selected player.

He would be better off finding another team to play for, even if we don’t get anything for him.

• Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

The selectors have made it know to JJ  how well they rate him. I’d be so surprised if he stayed with us. 
If I was him I’d leave, and I’ve said before I would have left after been left on the bench the whole game in the GF even more so after Harmes offered to be subbed out. 

think we all agree about that last bit,  but technically it would have broken an afl rule. I know other clubs seem to have done that too but maybe goody didn't want any controversy to ruin that special day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, poita said:

Jordon's problem is that we have already offered contracts for 2024 and beyond to a number of players who are lesser players than he is. Spargo, Laurie, Schache and Smith are four obvious examples, plus arguably Harmes given that he is currently out of favour.

We offered Jordon a contract but he asked for talks to pause so that he could focus on his football, so he has not been overlooked as implied 

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

I've likened Jordon to James McDonald in the past - I think he'll be a genuinely excellent midfielder without every being flashy or dominating.

Trouble is, we've got Petracca, Oliver and Viney, all three of whom are in the very top rank of AFL midfielders.

Brayshaw, when playing in the midfield, is also very similar to Jordon in the sense that he is a good contributor without ever really seeming dominant or imposing. Complicating things, our wings and half-back positions are now so loaded with quality options Brayshaw almost has too play midfield now.

Then of course there's the direct competition with Sparrow, who has a noticeably better haircut.

You could have a long debate about whether Sparrow's better form than Jordon's is driven by the fact that he's been given a sustained run at AFL level and in a stable position, while Jordon has been subbed in and out and moved around at both AFL and VFL level. Pygmalion effect in action.

Part of a bigger issue - what do we do with the whole set of Harmes, Dunstan and Jordon, who could all be getting midfield games somewhere else?

I agree with the Sparrow comparison.  Jordon is a very good VFL player.   He there racks up large numbers of possessions, puts himself in great positions and finds targets.   But so would most AFL players going back to VFL.   I recall Hibberd getting midfield possession numbers off half back and Thomlinson does it regularly from Full Back.   But where Sparrow has physicallity, can take a good mark and is a penetrating kick, Jordon is none of those things.  He is not super quick, nor has he height.  He is often left to kick to shorter distance packs and the ball returns further back from where he is.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Redleg said:

I hope you don’t get your nuts caught in your zipper for any reason.

Angry Season 4 GIF by The SimpsonsThat’s a disturbing possibility. And Mum always said to wear undies!

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Haha 3

Good foot soldier who could still be a very good 150+ game player - be a shame to lose him but it's hard to keep everyone when you have a strong list - this happened to the Tigers and it does erode your depth eventually

• Like 1

3 hours ago, poita said:

Jordon's problem is that we have already offered contracts for 2024 and beyond to a number of players who are lesser players than he is. Spargo, Laurie, Schache and Smith are four obvious examples, plus arguably Harmes given that he is currently out of favour.

Agree. Spargo getting a 4 year deal was laughable. I wouldn't blame JJ one bit if he leaves, and I will wish him success.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Redleg said:

I never understood that. If Harmes offered, why did Goody refuse? It seems pretty cruel, when you are 10 goals up, with minutes to play, to not let him on the ground.

Because Harmes wasn’t injured and the sun was an injury replacement option only not tactical 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Agree. Spargo getting a 4 year deal was laughable. I wouldn't blame JJ one bit if he leaves, and I will wish him success.

Why is it laughable? He is 23 and offering young blokes slightly longer contracts allows the manage the  TPP.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

We can easily look at other FAs to cover him if he leaves, Matt Crouch and Paddy Dow come to mind as similar players.

Let's not forget we will be bringing in at a minimum a top 10 pick this year, potentially 2 if we trade with GC.

Finn Macrae of collingwood or elijah hollands would be younger alternatives too. Beast mode mathieson as an older body too who's great for culture around the club. 

2 hours ago, demoniac said:

Salary Cap management will likely see Jordan & Harmes depart and Dees believing we can get same production from a younger lower cost player ie Woey or a Howes or a Laurie etc.

Or a reid type ;)

12 minutes ago, mo64 said:

It’s not laughable. The reason we’ve been able to manage our TPP without losing a single one of our stars, is because we’re giving younger players longer deals on lower money. Spargo is not a risk at his age. Even as depth, he’s very good. 
The fact that we still have money to chase players every year, for example Grundy, speaks volumes about how well we are managing our cap. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Why is it laughable? He is 23 and offering young blokes slightly longer contracts allows the manage the  TPP.  

Because he was an overrated fringe player, and the club should have been looking for an upgrade in his position. His age is irrelevant. Put he and JJ on the open market, and JJ would have more suitors.

3 hours ago, DubDee said:

How is he a UFA at 22yo? the rules must have changed, it used to be 8 years at a club

Restricted = Less than 8 years at the club + in top quarter for salaries at the club.

Given Picks 1-20 all get 102k as a base in their first year and Jordon was pick 33 he'd likely only be in the 200-250k range given he probably started on a base of around 60k.

• Like 1

Just now, praha said:

Restricted = Less than 8 years at the club + in top quarter for salaries at the club.

Given Picks 1-20 all get 102k as a base in their first year and Jordon was pick 33 he'd likely only be in the 200-250k range given he probably started on a base of around 60k.

JJ is an UFA because he was previously delisted by the club. That's how it works reagrdless of the fact that he signed a subsequent contract.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mo64 said:

Because he was an overrated fringe player, and the club should have been looking for an upgrade in his position. His age is irrelevant. Put he and JJ on the open market, and JJ would have more suitors.

Spargo isn't overrated. In fact he's barely recognised. He's not played as a deep forward and suspect Goodwin plays him in a very specific role. There must be something about him and what he does that just isn't seen to the natural eye. He's quote strong in the core and rarely turns the ball over by foot and hand. Of all the "experienced" players his clanger rate is the lowest over his career.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DubDee said:

How is he a UFA at 22yo? the rules must have changed, it used to be 8 years at a club

The OP explained this.

6 hours ago, Demonland said:

Jordon's contract is set to expire at the end of 2023 and the midfielder is eligible for free agency given he was delisted and re-signed at the end of 2020.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, mo64 said:

JJ is an UFA because he was previously delisted by the club. That's how it works reagrdless of the fact that he signed a subsequent contract.

Didn't know he was delisted. But regardless, even if he hadn't been delisted, he'd still be an UFA.

• Facepalm 1