POSTGAME: Rd 18 vs Brisbane

Demonland

11 minutes ago, Webber said:

Wow! So much happens when you go on hols* for 4 weeks (to central France, 1 bar 3G, which offers precisely NO contact with the world, in mostly a great way)! Just watched the replay (arrived home at 3/4 time, almost didn’t look at final score before nigh nighs), and what an enormous last quarter. Maxy at his best, Jack Viney too, and Trac obviously. What struck me too though was the massive quarter of Trent Rivers. Jakey we all know has the talent, and when he’s on, he’s a game changer. 

*WTF with Clarry’s M-T junction tear?!!!! and woe is me about Fritta’s foot fracture. 

WELCOME BACK, R! 💕

Boy, could we have used you for the last few weeks.

Although sometimes you do phone it in… when I told you (in great detail) what’d happened to my foot and what’d caused it, your professional advice was “don’t wear platforms when you’re pickled.” 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/15/2023 at 7:18 AM, 3183 Dee said:

Couldn’t agree more. I just watched the Ch. 7 highlights - the enthusiasm from commentary box could not have been more one-sided towards the Lions: it’s bizarre. I’m not usually too concerned with what those numpties say, but it’s starting to grind my gears. 

I thought BT was good, continuing to give the Dees a chance early in the 4th. I think he may be a believer now. But he was right about those misses. Three, I think, early in Q4 nearly sunk it for us. Is there any way we can analyse the four goals in eight minutes in Q1 and the 4 goals in eight minutes in Q4? Both teams had six day breaks, so they couldn't have been more fatigued than us in Q4 - unless they were loading... In Q1 it seemed like a sudden outbreak of run-and-gun footy from the Dees. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Just watched it Gorg, stuff that doesn’t get seen or noticed at the time. Brilliant by Lingers and you can see Gunston pointing to get someone else to come down to man up on Langdon  so he can go loose again.

2E6DE44E-9F35-47B3-BBC3-6DAA25855CB0.thumb.jpeg.2e5d3d5b3625cd241486e417cb305995.jpeg

Brisbane brought Gunston behind the ball at the end of the first quarter as well. Brilliance from the coaches box, or maybe from Ed, maybe both. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, binman said:

Agree.

Still looks a little underdone, but if he can get up to full rat power he will be an even more critical cog in the machine. 

The other thing about BB, with his height and forward smarts, opponents can't really risk putting part time or medium defender on him, meaning they have to send one of their best tall defenders to him. 

I thought BBBB was moving very well, actually. I remember a phase in Q3 when he marked on the half back flank on the southern side and probably less than a minute later he took an intercept on the members' wing. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, GOLORDIE said:

I thought BBBB was moving very well, actually. I remember a phase in Q3 when he marked on the half back flank on the southern side and probably less than a minute later he took an intercept on the members' wing. 

I agree with that. His athleticism looks really good. 

I more meant he looks like he is still building his tank as he has faded in the second half in the last couple of games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, binman said:

I agree with that. His athleticism looks really good. 

I more meant he looks like he is still building his tank as he has faded in the second half in the last couple of games.

His knee appears to be holding up. He’s surprised me. The question now is what are we going to do with Grundy? Does he play ahead of JVR?

30 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

His knee appears to be holding up. He’s surprised me. The question now is what are we going to do with Grundy? Does he play ahead of JVR?

As goody said in his presser, as much as the media want black and white, they don't need to make that decision yet.

Goody has made clear he happy to keep the forward line fluid, pushing back on yet another click bait media narrative that we should have it locked in now.

He's also made clear he sees Grundy in his best 22 come finals.

They've flagged grundy will be at Casey for at least a couple of weeks.

Jvr can have some time in the ones, with bb. 

Maxy can concentrate on his game. Maybe even manage him at some point, for example swap with brodie for the roos game. 

See what things look like in a few weeks.

It's about the big dance, not the tigers in July.

But on jvr v Grundy come finals, Goody makes a good point about big men in finals. 

And i think we saw on Friday night that JVR still got some development to go, both in terms of his build and strength, but also his tank and forward craft.

Edited by binman
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Webber said:

Wow! So much happens when you go on hols* for 4 weeks (to central France, 1 bar 3G, which offers precisely NO contact with the world, in mostly a great way)! Just watched the replay (arrived home at 3/4 time, almost didn’t look at final score before nigh nighs), and what an enormous last quarter. Maxy at his best, Jack Viney too, and Trac obviously. What struck me too though was the massive quarter of Trent Rivers. Jakey we all know has the talent, and when he’s on, he’s a game changer. 

*WTF with Clarry’s M-T junction tear?!!!! and woe is me about Fritta’s foot fracture. 

Good to have you back. 

Any words of wisdom re: Clarry?

9 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I didn’t even notice Neale until the second quarter.

It’s amazing what happens when you try to curtail the opposition’s best players.

We regularly put time into Neale when we play Brisbane. We've done this every game since 2021...

• Like 1

Funny that if someone told me that we kicked 105 points, I would have assumed we cruised home. Especially after our first four goals.

Been a while since we've kicked over a hundred. Funnier that lions kicked a hundred first.

Not much of a percentage win but what a bloody win. Watched the last ten mins three times.

• Love 1

Watched the replay. 

We dominated the last quarter, those saying we got lucky or stole it, are wrong I reckon. Four misses early on, continued pushing, played desperate, and had belief. We opened the forward area well, and that gave us the ability to compete and score.

What I would like to see us develop, is the ability to clear the ball out of the backline. The Saints held it in and Brissy did it for those two quarters that we lost. They forced multiple entries on us, as we struggled to get the ball past the centre. We fell off their players and our zone got picked because we didn't have time to set it. We need to either find a boundary, a releasing mark, a corridor or maintain possession, when exiting.

Can't let the oppo put that much pressure on our backs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I waited for today to share any real thoughts on how this game went down and after one full replay and two 4th quarter replays and I still can't quite figure out how the we did it but we did. 

That first 10 minutes was the best football we've played this year. We led the clearance count 6-0 and were torching contested but the Lions found a way back and we were in for a big game.

It seemed like it was getting out of hand and for the life of me I don't know how we came back in that last quarter, but I had long made peace with the fact that we were going to be losing this game. The lead kept reducing and when Viney kicked that beauty and we entered the forward line again, I just felt it was going to happen. Feel so good for Melk, I haven definitely been a critic and I'm not saying he's the answer up forward every week but this game suited him and he showed a physical side early that was really helpful. Good on you Melk!

What? Paywall? For the rest of layzie's post you will need to be subscriber. $6 a week just 2 cups of coffee...

Edited by layzie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

21 hours ago, Macca said:

The May push in the back? Surely you're not going to complain about that blatant indiscretion? It was a hefty shove

Daniher milked it for all it was worth though probably was there - but the totally ignoring of the JVR one earlier was just appalling.  

9 hours ago, Roost it far said:

That’s goal of the year for mine. He willed that through, no fluke kick or boundary ace just simply guts and will. Best goal I’ve ever seen.

Unfortunately goal of the year usually goes to some fluke / freak dribble from the boundary but for pure guts and determination and physical brute force JV was one of the best you will ever see. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Webber said:

Webber, I appreciate that you need time away but F C S. The best player we have ever had was yelling at the high performance bloke his hammy was that bad. 

And you were living it up in rural France without suitable wifi? 

WE NEEDED YOU. 

Why Me Crying GIF by Team Coco

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Why on earth is the Hipwood non-mark being discussed as a controversial moment? It hit Lever in the chest and if he didn't think we could have marked it he would have gone the punch. 

In my view Lever marked it then Hipwood ripped it out, it was not even a 50-50 with Lever in front. Hipwood tried to con the umpire and it's understandable in that moment.

• Like 8
  • Clap 1

22 hours ago, dees189227 said:

Listening to a couple of player interviews today was good.

Lever said on 3aw he mentioned staying calm when we were behind and when Melksham took that mark he knew how much he'd been working on his goal kicking & backed him to kick it. But lever said he closed his eyes and listened to the crowd reaction to see if it was a goal.

On that last play he said he tried to spoil but somehow it ended up in his arms. Said it was either a mark or free kick.

Gawn on ABC said he didn't get to sleep until 4am then at 6 got woken up by his son then had to do Auskick clinics. Still wants him and Grundy to work & mentioned how happy he was to see melky kick that goal. Laugh how the players call him melky. 

Nice to know I got to sleep before Max.

8 minutes ago, layzie said:

Why on earth is the Hipwood non-mark being discussed as a controversial moment? It hit Lever in the chest and if he didn't think we could have marked it he would have gone the punch. 

In my view Lever marked it then Hipwood ripped it out, it was not even a 50-50 with Lever in front. Hipwood tried to con the umpire and it's understandable in that moment.

Correct.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, layzie said:

Lever marked it , or it was play on, siren had gone the game was over

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Daniher milked it for all it was worth though probably was there

The May shove was right in front of me and it was a blatant push by May

Red & Blue goggles aside, if that free is even questioned, then we should never ever get any frees paid against us

May shoved Daniher out of the contest

Besides which, the umpiring overall was excellent so why is the officiating even being brought up?

The game was am excellent example of how good footy can be and also, the game was well umpired

Edited by Macca
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Webber said:

When you land and recover…We need your opinion  re Clarry. i’ve been scouring this forum looking for you fr weeks lol. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, layzie said:

And a well umpired decision ... kudos to the officials

• Like 3
  • Clap 1