PREGAME: Rd 18 vs Brisbane

Demonland

28 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

Our back line really is elite, isn't it? 

When we start talking about dropping the likes of Rivers after one average (not awful) it really shows the standard we have in our back half. There are no weaknesses.

Bowey's decision making and ball use is just pure class. You forget he's only 20 and only going to get better. 

I would be keeping Hibberd on ice as much as we can leading up to finals.

Another random note that I don't think has been talked about enough is that because of our incredible depth down back it's meant one less position Gus has had to fill or help out in. He's been able to be released into Midfield and forward half which really benefits us with winning the ball in the front half.

No one with any football IQ is seriously considering dropping Rivers, it’s absurd.

• Like 9
  • Clap 1

22 hours ago, A F said:

The big question for me going into the Brisbane game is will our midfield hold up without Trac to allow him to play forward?

Agree. 

I wonder whether we go for the same line up and have a tall (JVR/Schache/Smith) as tactical sub in case Petracca is needed in the midfield.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Coobs said:

Kozzie at the minimum should start as the sub next Friday if he's staying in the team.

Having him come in at the start of the 4th quarter hopefully with a bit of energy could swing a game, he just doesn't seem to have 4 quarters of interest at the moment.. maybe one quartet could reinvigorate his influence.

Which one? "Death and the Maiden" by Schubert? I must admit, I hadn't realised Pickett could be motivated by classical strings.

Seriously, what do we think might be wrong with Pickett? He's obviously not playing anywhere near his best. But why has he not been in any centre bounces for 10 weeks after being their occasionally in the first few rounds? Does this mean the club is helping him manage an injury? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thinking 1

9 minutes ago, loges said:

Those proposing Schache come back in, I'd suggest you go back and watch his game against North 

We are his third club, he is good at VFL level but not a senior level talent. Sorry but I don't see him being in our side if we are to win another flag this decade.

25 minutes ago, speed demon said:

Agree. 

I wonder whether we go for the same line up and have a tall (JVR/Schache/Smith) as tactical sub in case Petracca is needed in the midfield.

I wonder if they'll go JVR instead of Melksham or whether we try to manufacture a strange defensive match up like Melksham on Andrews. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Which one? "Death and the Maiden" by Schubert? I must admit, I hadn't realised Pickett could be motivated by classical strings.

Seriously, what do we think might be wrong with Pickett? He's obviously not playing anywhere near his best. But why has he not been in any centre bounces for 10 weeks after being their occasionally in the first few rounds? Does this mean the club is helping him manage an injury? 

I love it when people pick at a spelling mistake while making one of their own. Makes the world seem more rite......

Edited by Left Foot Snap
  • Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1

On 7/9/2023 at 12:20 AM, brendan said:

$2.25 for the lions is rediculous have the bookies not watched us the last few weeks 

I’m sure they’ve watched Brisbane play at the MCG since forever 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I'm facepalming myself, not you, LFS. Good pick up!

Gave me a laugh.

• Like 1

Something to ponder (hold on to??)

I meandered up to the Gold Coast and visited the Gabba in August 2022 whereby we smashed Brisbane by 10 goals or so.. and thought 'we're on for the Granny here...

A sobering reality check about a month later with Brisbane beating a 'crocked' Melbourne and tumbling out of the finals in straight sets.

Whatever happens this Friday night, has no bearing about what happens in the finals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, old dee said:

We are his third club, he is good at VFL level but not a senior level talent. Sorry but I don't see him being in our side if we are to win another flag this decade.

Yes, I wouldn't be picking him.

The one thing agreed upon in all the comments so far is that there's not much consensus on what we do next. Which is fair, I've changed my mind 12 times since Saturday night. 

To the comments on Rivers and bowie, I don't remember the mistakes, but I do remember the quality chains out of defence from them. Their chemistry together is really something I hadn't realized till seeing it live. We need run as we're not clunking the contest marks like we have previously, I'd be surprised to see them dropped. maybe another defender in can help free them up to be more attacking and get their creativity in the front half?

I do feel that our forward line movement is marginally better with BBB in it, and I would have said Grundy is shocking for movement. But then, he was getting frustrated as when he did lead they were hesitating and then bombing it on his head. In the rub, he's a better footballer at this stage than JVR/Schache so maybe it's the delivery that there's tweaks? Kozi is my real worry with his lack of confidence.

But midfield is where I really think we'll be exposed. Grundy to viney connection is obvious, but beyond sparrow and Jordon is no sure thing, leaving a lot of pressure on viney. I'm even wondering about Dunstan in for pure clearance work. 

So in saying all that.... I've got no idea and with absolutely no conviction on anything. Except I think I've convinced myself Dunstan should be in there. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Engorged Onion said:

Something to ponder (hold on to??)

I meandered up to the Gold Coast and visited the Gabba in August 2022 whereby we smashed Brisbane by 10 goals or so.. and thought 'we're on for the Granny here...

A sobering reality check about a month later with Brisbane beating a 'crocked' Melbourne and tumbling out of the finals in straight sets.

Whatever happens this Friday night, has no bearing about what happens in the finals.

I agree, although I think if we win the next two weeks, given the draws of the sides placed 5th-9th, we will sow up the top 4 spot with wins against Brisbane and Adelaide, and it will take off some pressure at the back end of the season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bringbackbarassi said:

The one thing agreed upon in all the comments so far is that there's not much consensus on what we do next. Which is fair, I've changed my mind 12 times since Saturday night. 

To the comments on Rivers and bowie, I don't remember the mistakes, but I do remember the quality chains out of defence from them. Their chemistry together is really something I hadn't realized till seeing it live. We need run as we're not clunking the contest marks like we have previously, I'd be surprised to see them dropped. maybe another defender in can help free them up to be more attacking and get their creativity in the front half?

I do feel that our forward line movement is marginally better with BBB in it, and I would have said Grundy is shocking for movement. But then, he was getting frustrated as when he did lead they were hesitating and then bombing it on his head. In the rub, he's a better footballer at this stage than JVR/Schache so maybe it's the delivery that there's tweaks? Kozi is my real worry with his lack of confidence.

But midfield is where I really think we'll be exposed. Grundy to viney connection is obvious, but beyond sparrow and Jordon is no sure thing, leaving a lot of pressure on viney. I'm even wondering about Dunstan in for pure clearance work. 

So in saying all that.... I've got no idea and with absolutely no conviction on anything. Except I think I've convinced myself Dunstan should be in there. 

Good call.

We've changed rhe way we play this year in that we rely on chaining from half back, the wing and even half forward to score big. Stoppages are still important sources of scores, but less so than previously.

So the half backs are relied on to help generate scores.

16 minutes ago, pitmaster said:

That’s the spirit.

If we win it will probably be due to our defence, which is always on the cards ♦️

It irritates me that Tomlinson is still struggling to get a game despite respectable (even very good) recent performances at AFL level and a massive body of good form at VFL level. as a matter of principle I want to find him a spot in the team, but I can't see him pushing out the May-Lever-Petty structure which works so well.

All I can think of is to tell him to play as a negating forward and put all his defensive skill into nullifying Harris Andrews for a game. Following Andrews around will bring him to the right places to be involved anyway, so the learning curve of switching forward is mitigated.

With our depleted forward line and our poor habits going inside 50, Andrews' effectiveness could easily decide the game. I'd trust Tomlinson to at least stop that from happening.

2 minutes ago, layzie said:

We're going to have to get creative with our mid setup. We've always been one step ahead of the Lions in this regard and I'd love to see us bamboozle them again. 

We had more talent and toughness than them up until half way through last years final when they put Berry on Clarry and Tracc was on one leg. Since then they’ve added Dunkley and Ashcroft and we’re missing Oliver.

Can we beat them with a midfield of;
JJ  - 17 (of 24 CBAs)
Viney - 16
Brayshaw - 15
Sparrow, Tracc - 12 

I suspect we’ll go with a similar rotation, maybe Tracc in for more bounces for going forward.

Brayshaw will probably do a soft tag on Neale as he has done in recent games. 

Assuming he stays in the side I’d love to give Woey a look in the middle too, he has the speed to mix it with guys like Bailey and McCluggage.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Would think we will go in with a forward set up where we prevent Andrews from intercepting either by playing JVR as the high half forward taking him up the ground or bringing in Tomlinson and moving Petty forward and getting separation between Petty and BB. Another option could be Melksham playing a defensive role on him

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

5 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

It irritates me that Tomlinson is still struggling to get a game despite respectable (even very good) recent performances at AFL level and a massive body of good form at VFL level. as a matter of principle I want to find him a spot in the team, but I can't see him pushing out the May-Lever-Petty structure which works so well.

All I can think of is to tell him to play as a negating forward and put all his defensive skill into nullifying Harris Andrews for a game. Following Andrews around will bring him to the right places to be involved anyway, so the learning curve of switching forward is mitigated.

With our depleted forward line and our poor habits going inside 50, Andrews' effectiveness could easily decide the game. I'd trust Tomlinson to at least stop that from happening.

Tomlinson was just solid at Casey, his disposal stats get boosted by taking the kick outs, more than a few of which he stuffed up anyway.

I can’t see him in a forward line with BBB and a resting ruck. We’d have to put traffic controllers out there to direct the 3 big boys as they change direction.

If we go for another tall and want Tommo in then it’s surely down back and use Petty forward. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

On 7/9/2023 at 12:59 AM, Travy14 said:

Out:  Smith(Sub), Spargo

In:  JVR, Harmes

Harmes to be Sub

Harmes loves squashing Berries...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/9/2023 at 8:09 AM, Demonland said:

I bet he hasn't got ALL his attentions on this, or indeed any, game. They cooked up some little rats 200 game celebration to coincide with ours. Look forward to playing against the biggest bunch of FFK's in the AFL, taken over from Cats since last year.

• Like 1