• PODCAST LIVE @ 8:30pm      

Call: 03 9016 3666 or Skype: Demonland31
    Click Here for LIVE Chat
    If you still want to browse Demonland
    while listening to the Podcast
    choose pop up player below

TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 17 vs St. Kilda

Demonland

2 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

I get the disappointment, but saying things like ‘I give up’ and ‘I don’t care’ simply isn’t true.

It’s after 10 on a Sunday night and you’re on Demonland. I’ve got some bad news for you. You care a lot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demonsone said:

I’m betting ob losing the next 2 games 

Is it possible Goody who lead us to the top of the mountain is now pushing us off the cliff?

Looks like it at the moment and is Petracca likely to cost himself AA sélection with his inability to finish? 
He’s certainly causing us supporters a bit of pain at the moment.

Terrific player but if he kicks better we are a couple of spots higher on the ladder.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, picket fence said:

Could not give a Tosca,season done, time to shake the joint up and play JVR and blood, Woey, Jefferson, and any others that have played well at Casey!

Get Verrel ready, too. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

10 hours ago, wizardinoz said:

Any chance Tomlinson can get a game before he tells Goodwin to GAGF & play every week for another team next year?

Not a silly idea, at all. It would be great if we could utilise an improved, consistent Tomlinson to pre-support the midfielders. That is, given a game against the Saints, if he could demonstrate continuing form (as we all hope). Leaving such a role to Salem alone is not justified; we are supposed to be a team of integrated, co-ordinated team players. Goodwin has ineffective concepts of line-to-line deployments and support, it appears. There is little in the way of present progressions - leaving the responsibilities to individuals - particularly when the best co-ord team in the League - Tracca and Clarry - js separated for the short term and Hibberd is injured. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

We can't keep playing forwards because they can defend, if they're not hitting the scoreboard enough: Smith, ANB, Chandler, Grundy, previously Spargo.

We obviously need a mix, but JVR was bringing sufficient forward half defensive pressure but with the ability to be a forward. Smith brings forward pressure but with no real forward ability. JVR brings at least equal, if not better, structure than Smith too.

With Fritsch out, we need natural forwards.  At the moment it's Brown and Pickett. The rest are in there to be role players. That mix is wrong. 

Smith has been kicking goals! I totally agree with you by the way, I just think Smith can actually be a good scoring option.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Soidee said:

Shame on this team for pathetic goal kicking.  The Coach in my opinion has stuffed it for 2023 with his arrogance and his damn learnings mantra.  Our skills are woeful.  No confidence this team or any other outside of the top 3 will make any difference come September.  We are just making up the numbers in the 8.

Ouch! Reality bites ... unless the alleged 'learnings' snap into place - but of course, these cannot be illuminated nor specified. The learnings only provide an awkward excuse ... 

17 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Smith has been kicking goals! I totally agree with you by the way, I just think Smith can actually be a good scoring option.

Perhaps better than those already given the opportunity.

8 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Extremely poor list and player management cost us a chance at a flag in 2022 (historically dominant Casey season with no reward for those players while the senior team was full of niggles and underdone players) and it looks like history is repeating in 

It's either poor management or we're going all in on this 22 for one last crack before a mini rebuild. 

Suspect if we lose this week (high possibility on current form), we might start seeing the likes of ANB, Pickett dropped, and the likes of Turner, Howes, JVR, Woewoden finish the season. This week might be our last crack at saving our season because the wheels are falling off. Some here seem to think we're going to do a Richmond 2017 or Melbourne 2021 repeat. We might, but the alternative is hitting an iceberg. 

Edited by praha

11 hours ago, Dingo said:

Yes but the conditions were 100% different

Doesnt seem to matter a lot to us.... we cant enter the arc with meaning or menace...and cant hit the side of a barn... wet or dry .

We're in a spot of bother.

Lyons lot will expose us..... unless Badloss and coherts do some serious recasting of their runes..

Need to dust off the alternate game. The one we used preseason and glimpsed against the filth.

Time to chuck plan A in the bin. Times up on that rubbish.

11 minutes ago, praha said:

It's either poor management or we're going all in on this 22 for one last crack before a mini rebuild. 

Suspect if we lose this week (high possibility on current form), we might start seeing the likes of ANB, Pickett dropped, and the likes of Turner, Howes, JVR, Woewoden finish the season. This week might be our last crack at saving our season because the wheels are falling off. Some here seem to think we're going to do a Richmond 2017 or Melbourne 2021 repeat. We might, but the alternative is hitting an iceberg. 

If we wanted to save the season then we needed to start dropping the likes of ANB, Pickett and Chandler a few weeks ago.

• Like 2

What is ANB’S role?

When did BBB last take a contested mark at AFL level? He’s purely in the side to kick goals so unless he’s taking marks I can’t see him getting too many from general play. Come September if we get our act together we’re going to have to most probably beat both Port and Collingwood, they play a very fast paced game and I’m not sure he’s quick of physical enough. Happy to be proven wrong, he’ll obviously play this week but if he’s not taking marks he must go.

18 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

If we wanted to save the season then we needed to start dropping the likes of ANB, Pickett and Chandler a few weeks ago.

Here in lays the problem..  and it's the fundamental one upon and around all decisions and selections will pivot.

In the minds eye of Goodwin ....does the season need 'saving' ...  or ...  'perservering' with.  I.e... are there fundamental problems to be addressed....or is it a matter of "backing the lads' ( which by extension means backing them to back in his (coach's)  game ? 

If Goodwin fancies the game is sound but just needs a bit of this and a smattering of that and all will sort itself out....especially as 'learnings' are applied, the what we have seen transpire will essentially continue.

To suggest he or any of the FD will attempt to right the boat and save it  ( from itself ) will need them to not only acknowledge that, and by extension ( as well ) concede theyre at fault. Therefore needing alternative action(s)

Given our recent history ( and for the purposes of this exercise we'll limit it to the Goodwin years)  how often has that happened...with anything done ? 

We actually outplayed them everywhere on the field, so where does significant improvement come from (apart from Goal kicking).  If we could have played better, we'd likely have kicked a few more behinds and out of bounds!!!!

It's not so much about personnel but conversion. 

Smith to play Fritsch's role. JVR to come in to play 2nd tall. Backs are fine. Oliver hopefully in, likely for Harmes.

* left field thought; Hunter to play fwd (at least he can get front n center); and Brayshaw to the wing.

Edited by Ungarieboy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ungarieboy said:

We actually outplayed them everywhere else on the field, so where does significant improvement come from (apart from Goal kicking).  If we could have played better, we'd likely have kicked a few more behinds and out of bounds!!!!

It's not so much about personnel but conversion. 

Smith to play Fritsch's role. JVR to come in to play 2nd tall. Backs are fine. Oliver hopefully in, likely for Harmes.

* left field thought Hunter to play fwd (at least he can get front n center); and Brayshaw to the wing.

Hunter forward... Woewodin  to that wing ? 

10 hours ago, adonski said:

IN: JVR, Jordon, Spargo, Woey
OUT: Fritsch (inj), Smith, Chandler, ANB

• Get a look at JVR & BBB together
  • Get the best i50 kick we have back into the side
  • Time to play one of the kids

For once I agree with you, although I would include Howes as well and Oliver if okay . Harmes out too.

Pickett's going nowhere. He's not playing as well as he can, but is also not playing as poorly as many are suggesting.

The question on my mind is whether we can afford to drop ANB, ask others to cover his defensive aspect, and find a replacement who can perhaps hit the scoreboard or at least be more involved offensively.

We also, IMO, need to move on from Harmes as our attempt to change up our midfield. That spot is ripe for someone else to be given a go. Time to see what Woewodin, or Howes, or Dunstan, or someone else from Casey, can offer. Neither Jordon nor Harmes have seized it this year.

I also think the major mistake of dropping Tomlinson after KB to bring back an underdone Petty is now stifling us. We never should have done it and should have either brought Petty back via Casey or into the forward line. Now we're stuck with an in-form Tomlinson having nowhere to play and Petty squeezed out of the forward line given it makes no sense whatsoever to go back to Brown for one game in the wet and then drop him for a game under the roof at Marvel.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Here in lays the problem..  and it's the fundamental one upon and around all decisions and selections will pivot.

In the minds eye of Goodwin ....does the season need 'saving' ...  or ...  'perservering' with.  I.e... are there fundamental problems to be addressed....or is it a matter of "backing the lads' ( which by extension means backing them to back in his (coach's)  game ? 

If Goodwin fancies the game is sound but just needs a bit of this and a smattering of that and all will sort itself out....especially as 'learnings' are applied, the what we have seen transpire will essentially continue.

To suggest he or any of the FD will attempt to right the boat and save it  ( from itself ) will need them to not only acknowledge that, and by extension ( as well ) concede theyre at fault. Therefore needing alternative action(s)

Given our recent history ( and for the purposes of this exercise we'll limit it to the Goodwin years)  how often has that happened...with anything done ? 

He will never coach a premiership side though will he, I still recall those 257 posts of yours in that " is Goodwin the right guy" thread.

Just now, drysdale demon said:

He will never coach a premiership side though will he, I still recall those 257 posts of yours in that " is Goodwin the right guy" thread.

We we're very fortunate.. in an inverse nature of Lemony Snickett and his game held up for a very short time.

Are you suggesting he's travelling ok atm..  ? Seriously. 

Much if not all of our problems emanate from the game plan ...and selection .

Responsibility is ?? 

By all means wear your Goody Hat.

Im over this ridiculous persistance with a game thats every other coachs fodder.

Its ok  though as we're just brim full of 'learnings' 

This bloke will now burn careers and waste a lot of talent.

There's at least half a dozen blokes that should be playing in the magoos on form.... but theyre not.

Any number of players are playing in the wrong spot... or being directed to play the wrong role.

The players dont make any of those decisions...do they.

We have a dysfunctional foward line.... by design...because theyre playing utterly stupid football in terms of patterns and footy nouse. Cant be accidental..can it...??

Its not like one week or so are an aberration to a norm ...its not like we generally play ok up front but just have a bad game here or there ..is.it.  No. Week in week out we see the front half of our game as our weakness. It the coaches job to fix that and the head coach's job to get his others to do it.  Unless he can't. 

Goodwin has peaked..   23 has 22 written all over it....  

• Haha 1

Unfortunately we have both structural issues and personnel issues to resolve, and are rapidly running out of time on both counts.

I'd prefer to tackle the structural issues first, and hope that solves some of our other issues at the same time.

For me, the two ruck experiment is a confirmed failure and has to end now. Grundy can go back to Casey and try to get some part of his game working. Gawn to ruck 70% of the game, and Schache in to back him up, plus JVR/Brown in the forward line. I don't think we'll lose anything from Schache as a second ruck given Grundy's recent form, and he will clearly give more as a third forward. I think Gawn will benefit from more ruck time, and from being able to rest when not rucking. If Gawn goes forward, it is as a tactic, not an expectation.

Van Rooyen to come back in to replace Melksham who is officially finished as an AFL footballer. Van Rooyen to play across half forward so that he and Brown stay out of each other's way. Smith to play up the ground where he can use his athleticism. Pickett to play closer to goal where he can use his speed & smarts. I'm okay with Neal-Bullen, just wish he'd do the instinctive thing a bit more often. I would prefer to see Bowey tried forward over Chandler or Spargo, but I'm not sure we have a defensive replacement available. Either way, a small forward must be at Brown's feet every single time.

Woewodin to come in for Langdon who is just a shell of his former self. Harmes is a major problem as well, but I don't see the value to swapping him and Jordon every week. I'd be inclined to give Dunstan a go now that he is back in shape.

If there is any thought of Petty returning forward, then Tomlinson clearly has to return.

• Thinking 1

6 minutes ago, Demongirl35 said:

For me I want a couple fresh faces this week

Out: chandler, brown, is fritsch out? Harmes

In: Laurie, JVR, woey and Jordan 

Laurie just hasnt got it!

I know we are all disappointed, but we did not play that badly.  We one every statistic (most easily) except "GOALS".  We have played in the wet 4 of the last 5, been in winning positions in every game but have lost due ONLY to poor goal kicking.  This will turn, some dry weather footy under the roof on Saturday night will be welcomed by the team. Interestingly our only win in the last month was our only dry game.  Collingwood.

No need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Tomlinson to play back

Petty to play forward

Rooey to replace Brown.

In: Rooey, Tomlinson

Out: Frita, Brown

• Like 1
  • Clap 1