POSTGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

17 minutes ago, kev martin said:

I've noticed Tracc being a grumpy of late.

Hope he got under the skin of Cox.

If he is going to be a protector and enforcer, look out opponents. 

Much less smiles and how you do's, more "go to war" at the appropriate time.

As good as it would be Kev i reckon he hasn't got that type of mongrel in him like a Viney, May, Hibbo or even young JVR.

Happy to be proven wrong though Kev, pull me up on it if you see it happen.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

Anyone pick up on Darcy Moore's arm grabbing technique mid air i think both against Fritta?

Pretty sure one was in the 2nd and the last one was in the 4th quarter.

Alan Richardson should getting on the blower to the umpires boss and making them aware of this infringement technique.

Clear free kicks 30 m out both of them, probably would have missed on the day though, but it's besides the point.

Can't believe those two weren't seen, clear grabbing on the hand in a pull down motion mid air.

My husband who was watching from home kept texting me to complain that they keep holding Fritta in the marking contests. And also to ask how he can make it as a 39 year old AFL player since Mason Cox appears to be getting a game and "I can do better than him". 

Moore is a gun player, but he is also very much a protected one. I saw a fair few holding of arms going on inside our forward 50 for no frees.

Having said that, other than about 9 HTB calls that were ignored, the overall standard of umpiring was far better than I've seen in as many weeks. The game felt like a final in many ways, including the minimal interference of the umpires (until the end when the Pies got a few they didn't deserve anyway). 

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

As good as it would be Kev i reckon he hasn't got that type of mongrel in him like a Viney, May, Hibbo or even young JVR.

Happy to be proven wrong though Kev, pull me up on it if you see it happen.

I would fear for my life if I came near this guy and he wished me ill:

image.thumb.png.50db9537fd03a53501169a7c1f2f9e29.png

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Macca said:

By who?

Discredited by those who think that a 70% DE is a fail?  70% is actually decent especially for those in traffic

Used properly it's a good stat

After a couple of early errors Brayshaw was impeccable with his ball use

Those who can't see that are not watching the game closely enough

And Brayshaw's excellent ball use is never highlighted, only his errors

Read this and then explain to me how the current measure of DE% has any credibility 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-01/afl-what-makes-a-good-kick-in-2023/102420562

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

My husband who was watching from home kept texting me to complain that they keep holding Fritta in the marking contests. And also to ask how he can make it as a 39 year old AFL player since Mason Cox appears to be getting a game and "I can do better than him". 

Moore is a gun player, but he is also very much a protected one. I saw a fair few holding of arms going on inside our forward 50 for no frees.

Having said that, other than about 9 HTB calls that were ignored, the overall standard of umpiring was far better than I've seen in as many weeks. The game felt like a final in many ways, including the minimal interference of the umpires (until the end when the Pies got a few they didn't deserve anyway). 

All I've taken away from this is that he does indeed watch footy on his own volition and may actually have an interest in the sport 🤪

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, layzie said:

All I've taken away from this is that he does indeed watch footy on his own volition and may actually have an interest in the sport 🤪

He grew up in an AFL mad house. His dad ran Auskick out at Waverley Park. He has photos as a kid with every Hawthorn great you can think, and personalised signed jumpers.

He lost his love for the game as a teen, and never had any strong affiliation to any club because everyone in his family barracks for someone different (all terrible choices too). Then he met me and understood that the only way to survive is to join in.

He is genuinely a Melbourne supporter these days and he has a great understanding of the game. His favourite Melbourne player is ANB and he thinks Fritsch is a top 5 forward in the AFL. So he does really know his stuff. 

He just doesn't love going to game because it takes us a while to get to and from the ground, and I am very unpleasant to sit with 🙄😅

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

16 hours ago, A F said:

Goody and the rest of the FD clearly spent the summer building a game plan that would play to our defensive and CP strengths, but would also beat Collingwood.

It's why we look to score big from turnover, and we caught them out so many times today. We just needed to execute a little better.

And I've just finished watching the repaly of the first quarter. Our ball movement is still not a team wide instinctive thing, although if you watch the build up to Viney's goal (or at least the kick to Gus), we slingshot really quickly.

May is good at this, as is McVee, I think we really missed Bowey, who will come into his own with this new offensive flare to the game plan.

But it's notable in the second half of the first quarter that we started to clog them up. Collingwood's forward handball is so good, but our ability to meet it head on with frontal pressure / press, but still maintain some integrity behind the ball is excellent team defensive synergy and beautifully coached.

I thought it was very interesting the way we set up our zone across the middle. We didn't press up to the Pies as they exited our 50 but instead allowed them to just run into us as they tried to move through with handball. This meant they couldn't get the overlap happening and get that quick run out of defense. Would've taken a lot of discipline for our players to sit tight rather than push up to the player with the ball, and it was beautiful to see the Pies come unstuck crashing into our wall again and again.

McRae will go to work on this and may need to use short kicking to get through next time as the other option is long kicks into our defense which May, Lever, Rivers and Gawn/Grundy will feed off.

• Like 9
  • Clap 1

16 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I reckon we actually matched them in terms of volume. What started it was when they began to boo Brodie. Something snapped and almost immediately we’re drowning them out with cheering, that sound ringing around the stadium was amazing. They must’ve been shocked because that’s something they’re not used to.

And when Fritsch kicked that goal which got us in front in the 3rd the sound was electric, from then on the MFC supporters were giving it their all. It was eerily quiet at times for a crowd of 80k and that's because our slow methodical movement took the wind out of their sails.

• Like 5

My guess is Tracc was sick of Cox’s antics, he seemed to point the to spot on the ground where Cox celebrated his barely contested mark against Judd McVee with ridiculous taunting.

He might’ve said something or refused to shake his hand.

Sometimes you can do the wrong thing for the right reason. A token fake apology to stop it being a bigger story maybe. But no remorse.

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

16 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I reckon we actually matched them in terms of volume. What started it was when they began to boo Brodie. Something snapped and almost immediately we’re drowning them out with cheering, that sound ringing around the stadium was amazing. They must’ve been shocked because that’s something they’re not used to.

One of the first times I have really noticed the Melbourne faithful at a game. We out chanted out cheered and covered their attempts to boo. Only wish we had got the extra 15,000 there on the day. Well done fans and very well done team. And I have said this before but well done Melbourne Football Club and The Demon Army in the Fed Square before the game.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, binman said:

I must have seen that ad a million times.

I've seen it si many times  I have stated analysing the final frame here a dees supporter 'clips' shaq over the head.

What does it mean?

It reminded me of this:

• Haha 12
  • Clap 1
  • Shocked 1

29 minutes ago, old55 said:

Read this and then explain to me how the current measure of DE% has any credibility 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-01/afl-what-makes-a-good-kick-in-2023/102420562

Sorry, haven't got the time

I use the DE as a guide, as that is the best way to view it

I agree that the efficiency gradings are questionable but it's like wiki, it doesn't have to be entirely accurate

We live in a close enough it's good enough world so I allow players, umpires and even you to make errors

I'd rather stick up for my own players

So let's agree to disagree but I won't be changing my view on Brayshaw in a hurry.  He's a valuable asset on a long term deal

For you to put him in the same category with Harmes & Jordon is laughable.  Neither of those 2 can get a regular game

47 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

And when Fritsch kicked that goal which got us in front in the 3rd the sound was electric, from then on the MFC supporters were giving it their all. It was eerily quiet at times for a crowd of 80k and that's because our slow methodical movement took the wind out of their sails.

I’ve been getting texts from friends (mainly neutrals) saying how impressively loud we were. I thought as much during the match but didn’t know if that was just from where I sit. Our DA WhatsApp is going nuts today with everyone claiming the same thing. I mean, who’da thunk we could ever hope to drown out Collingwood supporters?! Melbourne fans absolutely brought the noise, it’s something of which we should all be proud af.

Incidentally, Mrs Frittata left her seat to grab something to eat and didn’t see Fritta’s first goal. Of course I was de facto mum and waved his giant head like a fan possessed. She was kicking herself for missing it so for his subsequent goals she ramped it up a notch or 10. I reckon she alone accounted for a huge chunk of the noise. 🤣

Also incidentally, that’s the meekest we’ve ever seen their cheer squad. They were lacklustre compared to usual and weren’t a bigger spectacle than us as is usually the case.

Fun Fact: Ooze’s niece is a Magpie Army member. Was chatting to her in the race and she said how he’s super happy with how we’re going. And that was BEFORE we beat them. ❤️💙

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

@old55

Would you argree that Brayshaw's disposal levels were A1 after making a couple of errors early in the first quarter?

20 effective disposals?  (In traffic)

41 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

He grew up in an AFL mad house. His dad ran Auskick out at Waverley Park. He has photos as a kid with every Hawthorn great you can think, and personalised signed jumpers.

He lost his love for the game as a teen, and never had any strong affiliation to any club because everyone in his family barracks for someone different (all terrible choices too). Then he met me and understood that the only way to survive is to join in.

He is genuinely a Melbourne supporter these days and he has a great understanding of the game. His favourite Melbourne player is ANB and he thinks Fritsch is a top 5 forward in the AFL. So he does really know his stuff. 

He just doesn't love going to game because it takes us a while to get to and from the ground, and I am very unpleasant to sit with 🙄😅

Good to get the insight, I'd just assumed he wasn't into the game but this paints a good picture. Also sounds like he's from a family like mine with everyone different! 

26 minutes ago, YearOfTheDees said:

well done Melbourne Football Club and The Demon Army in the Fed Square before the game.

Thank you so much for this. 🤗

Minus two or three short periods at the start, we were literally flat out for just under five hours. I’ve yet to hear how much we made for FreezeMND but we’d bought extra of everything and were left with almost no leftovers. It was a huge success. Also, this year was better than ever, ending the day with a win. Makes all the hard work all the more worth it. 

• Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Clap 2

27 minutes ago, Macca said:

Sorry, haven't got the time

I use the DE as a guide, as that is the best way to view it

I agree that the efficiency gradings are questionable but it's like wiki, it doesn't have to be entirely accurate

We live in a close enough it's good enough world so I allow players, umpires and even you to make errors

I'd rather stick up for my own players

So let's agree to disagree but I won't be changing my view on Brayshaw in a hurry.  He's a valuable asset on a long term deal

For you to put him in the same category with Harmes & Jordon is laughable.  Neither of those 2 can get a regular game

You seem to have enough time for multiple long posts though.

• Haha 2
  • Clap 1

11 minutes ago, Macca said:

@old55

Would you argree that Brayshaw's disposal levels were A1 after making a couple of errors early in the first quarter?

20 effective disposals?  (In traffic)

A1 no. No further shockers though.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Said this one would be worth revisiting. Thanks for the laughs :) 

Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 3.39.09 pm.png

No De Goey and Sidebottom impacted the Pies ball movement more than I had predicted.

We managed to win the corridor battle by defensively owning it despite rarely using it ourselves.

The first quarter looked like a train wreck but we slowly ground them in to a contested fight.

We Ross Lyon’ed them to death and the constant point kicking allowed us to neutralise their run and keep the game in tight and in our forward half. Brilliant tactics from Goody and execution from Choco to get the boys to consistently miss goals.

The aerial impact of our rucks and tall forwards might be the Pies only worry. We did a great job stopping Moore taking over the game by throwing big numbers at the aerial contests. 

They’ll get some stars back and get their attacking game going and be far better. We’ll have to do a lot more than just kick straight to beat them again.

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1

17 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Must have had the + stripped for our inaccuracy

FyexG7wacAAirsQ?format=jpg&name=small

That's just NAFF !!   Someone's idea of humour perchance ??