Sparrow cops one week ban for rough conduct

Seraph

I feel like it’s very hard for the club to argue against this action - given there’s a report for it every week for the last 2 years. I think the players have to accept that they want to do everything they can to stop the opposition, and every now and again they’ll cop a week.

Nobody likes it, but it’s the way it’s been running for a few years.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Day I think has been concussed before and if he hit his head as a result of the sling, there is the one week.

If he pinned his arms it would have been 2-3.

We will accept this one.

Let me know if Sharman goes for a front on spoil into Fogarty’s face. Far worse than JVR.

Any footage readily available of the Sharman hit? Or rough time in the game?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Take the week.

Was ordinary yesterday and have seen nothing to suggest he's improved at all this year.

Jordon or Harmes can take his spot.

Kane Cornes gave Sparrow a big wrap on the tele today. A questionable referee, I admit. I think he has improved a bit this year. But yes he was ordinary yesterday. We are one class midfielder short, unless Pickett makes the transition. He wasn't much chop yesterday, either...but always a threat.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Take the week.

Was ordinary yesterday and have seen nothing to suggest he's improved at all this year.

Dazzle sparrow is credited with 70 pressure acts on Sat far higher than any of his teammates so he brings more than possessions to the game but agree JJ can do his role effectively.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

Dazzle sparrow is credited with 70 pressure acts on Sat far higher than any of his teammates so he brings more than possessions to the game but agree JJ can do his role effectively.

Where did you get 70 from?

He's listed as 32.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

70 would be a world record! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Take the week.

Yeah, we know, you don't like Sparrow.

Just on stats, in 2023 compared to 2022 he's averaging more kicks and disposals, double the goals, more tackles, a higher DE%, fewer clangers, more score involvements and more metres gained.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2
  • Clap 2

If Sparrow is suspended then Harmes becomes the sub and Jordon in the 22.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Take the week.

You need to look closer mate.

Is doing a lot of great, tough defensive work, but is now also occasionally playing the attacker through the centre stoppage from the defensive side of the contest through the front.

He is also a goal kicking mid.

Each to their own though.

• Like 10
  • Clap 3

Sparrow is one of my favourites, but I don't think there is much hope in trying to get him off the ban

Time for Dunstan to get a look in the Viney 2ic role

• Sad 1

Sparrow has improved but I'd still much rather us insert a mid with complimenting attributes to Trac, Oliver and Viney. 

I think we have an overload of inside bulls who all share the same weakness. 

It's nice to see him improving although I don't see it with his ball use/decision making which is our Achilles heel. 

Pickett has really rejuvenated us when he runs through and gives us a completely different look and we need a couple more young mids who have an element of class, composure and ball use. Not bull at a gate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Somewhere right now Michael Christian is settled back in a Chesterfield armchair, puffing on a Havana cigar, swirling a generous slurp of brandy in a balloon glass, thinking "yes, indeed ... revenge IS best served cold ..."

I think he's more like:

"For you, the day Michael Christian suspended you was the worst day of your life. But for me, it was Sunday."

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DemonWA said:

Sparrow is one of my favourites, but I don't think there is much hope in trying to get him off the ban

Time for Dunstan to get a look in the Viney 2ic role

Doubt that'll be happening any time soon mate. He's injured.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Sparrow has improved but I'd still much rather us insert a mid with complimenting attributes to Trac, Oliver and Viney. 

It's nice to see him improving although I don't see it with his ball use/decision making which is our Achilles heel. 

Pickett has really rejuvenated us when he runs through and gives us a completely different look and we need a couple more young mids who have an element of class, composure and ball use. Not bull at a gate. 

Disagree. Reckon his ball use and decision making has improved. He lowered his eyes a couple of times nicely yesterday, and even though it's a rubbish stat, he has improved his DE in 2022 and again this year. For a guy of his position, he's going at 76.9% and is considered elite.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

16 minutes ago, A F said:

Doubt that'll be happening any time soon mate. He's injured.

Ah damn, thanks right. What a pity for him. Sparrows mate JJ will be the beneficiary then

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A F said:

Disagree. Reckon his ball use and decision making has improved. He lowered his eyes a couple of times nicely yesterday, and even though it's a rubbish stat, he has improved his DE in 2022 and again this year. For a guy of his position, he's going at 76.9% and is considered elite.

It is a rubbish stat, yet you've used it?

A kick that goes 40+ metres to a 50/50 contest is considered an effective disposal. And the bulk of his kicks are those types so the 76% is meaningless to me.

The important ones are the kicks where he is under little to no pressure should be hitting targets and he doesn't do this often enough. And he sometimes does even worse by directly turning the ball over when really his kick should be resulting in another possession for us. 

I admire his inside work, but god damn do we still waste so many entries going forward and I still think we need a better balance of players in that midfield mix.

Edited by JimmyGadson
  • Thinking 1

7 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Yeah, we know, you don't like Sparrow.

Just on stats, in 2023 compared to 2022 he's averaging more kicks and disposals, double the goals, more tackles, a higher DE%, fewer clangers, more score involvements and more metres gained.

No I actually do like Sparrow. I've seen some Improvement and probably bit harsh by saying i didnt see any at all, but I have high expectation on him considering some of his best footy I've seen was around that 2021 finals series.

Whilst you say he's improved in most facets of his game he's still rated only 'average' for majority of these. So yes, just shows he was rated pretty poorly last year if he's improved but yet still rated as only average.

For a guy that is suppose to be an inside bull that compliments our star midfielders he's actually rated 'below average' for contested possession and ground ball gets. 

6 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

Agree with the overload of inside mids.

The issue with having so many is they're generally very similar in terms of not having the composure and class to compliment the the likes of Viney, Oliver and Petracca who at times do lack the composure and finishing off skill. Sparrow, Jordon, Harmes are all similar foot soliders that are good defensively but don't really add much going the other way.

Going after an elite junior mid would be my top priority in the draft. Guys like Duursma (who is similar to Connor Rozee), Darcy Wilson and Nick Watson are 3 that come to mind already. 

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2

Across the AFL, sling tackles will occur, and some have 'opponent care' built in so that these remain 'merely vigorous', non-sling that appear questionable as the recipient, caught with the ball, attempts latent redemption for being beaten by unanticipated defence tackling, and ensuring the enactment of any possible head-first/noticeable head-last contact with the ground, earning a free under the revised rules of the game.  This is justified by the Tribunal transferring very severe blame to the tackler.  We have a new form of ballet in our game, in other words and this post-event deception has the AFL, umpires and Match Review Critics totally fooled. Perhaps it could be incorporated into the Dees' training regimen? Half of the alleged swings that I have seen over the past year are convincingly staged - and I reckon the AFL realise this anomaly.

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Like 1

I didn’t see many other games over the weekend - usually there are many similar tackles? Were there others and did Christian cite them? 

• Thinking 1