Jump to content

CASEY: Rd 05 vs Richmond


KC from Casey

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Looks like a sub option but I would have brought him straight in for Spargo. Plays half forward but another player that can go into the midfield and give us a different look.

That would have meant that JJ missed out again and with all due respect to Laurie, JJ deserves a game more. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

That would have meant that JJ missed out again and with all due respect to Laurie, JJ deserves a game more. 

Jordon takes Sparrow spot and Laurie for Spargo. 

Pretty simple.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Jordon takes Sparrow spot and Laurie for Spargo. 

Pretty simple.

But you know that won’t happen 

Sparrow plays a defensive midfield role. The club rates him highly. Time to stop hoping he gets dropped. 

  • Like 6
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought this match would be a lay down misere for Casey, given our recent form, and our high number of AFL listed representatives, relative to very few for R’mond.  Consequently, I made the (serious) mistake of making an alternate commitment, on the grounds that I would read Demonland when I returned home, and sleep very well tonight.
It’s hard for me to comprehend the final result, even after quite a few Cabernets.  Very disappointing indeed!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

But you know that won’t happen 

Sparrow plays a defensive midfield role. The club rates him highly. Time to stop hoping he gets dropped. 

Any reason Harmes or Jordon can't play the same role, players who win more of the pill perhaps

Their endurance levels are more than adequate to cover Sparrow's relentless running for 65% time on ground

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


41 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

But you know that won’t happen 

Sparrow plays a defensive midfield role. The club rates him highly. Time to stop hoping he gets dropped. 

Is that even his actual role? Like have coaches come out and stated this specifically his role?

Feel like some just make up stuff just to justify his ongoing selection time and time again. He literally laid 1 tackle last week lol.. Can't be doing doing that if your role is purely defensive. 

Also, if his role is purely a defensive role then why did last week we concede 35 disposals to Merret, 34 disposal to Parish and 28 disposals to Dylan Shiel. We also lost the contested possession again for the 3rd time out of 5 games this year. 

For a team that prides ourselves in contested possession we're actually losing more then we're winning. Where is he in all of this as part of his role? I know it doesn't come down to the individual but he's every part of the problem also. 

Right now he's a limited footballer who can't even play anywhere else other then 10 minutes a quarter in the midfield doing whatever he does.

Jordon showed more in 1 game against Sydney this year playing as an inside/outside midfielder then Sparrow has in 12 months. 

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gee Brown's season's really taken a disappointing turn.

Tied for third in the Coleman after two Rounds with 8 goals. Looking as good as he had in his time with us.

Back spasms in Round 3, takes longer than anyone expects to heal, can't get back into the seniors even with us coming off a loss and then plays average-to-poor in the VFL. Now being discussed as a "has-been" a month after being discussed as in form and integral to our 2023 flag chances.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, demons123452000 said:

Judging from the comments I have read today it appears that Turner should get a go in front of Tommo

 

 

 

 

Tommo did an impersonation of Oscar McDonald at his worst today

Though Oscar never didn’t try hard thought Tommo looked disinterested often 

Edited by Old Bear
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't watch the game but is the assessment on Brown a bit over the top? If he kicked straight he'd have his usual 3 or 4 goals. Was he that poor?

I'm surprised they didn't bring him back immediately, I thought his start to the year has been pretty pleasing.

Edited by adonski
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, adonski said:

I didn't watch the game but is the assessment on Brown a bit over the top? If he kicked straight he'd have his usual 3 or 4 goals. Was he that poor?

I'm surprised they didn't bring him back immediately, I thought his start to the year has been pretty pleasing.

I think the problem today was both Tommy & BBB playing in the same forward line. It really magnified the issue...they were both so slow.

It's more likely we will see Ben back but only if he can get some mobility.

I doubt we will see both back in at the same time.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just watched the game. A disgraceful second quarter that cost us the game. Apart from that, I think we had the better of it. Turner is going to be a good player just reads the play so well. Howes and Woewodin contributed but need to use the ball better. Harmes and Dunstan were their usual selves. The forward line is disgraceful a lot of missed opportunities. Brown and McDonald should be ashamed of themselves.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Gee Brown's season's really taken a disappointing turn.

Tied for third in the Coleman after two Rounds with 8 goals. Looking as good as he had in his time with us.

Back spasms in Round 3, takes longer than anyone expects to heal, can't get back into the seniors even with us coming off a loss and then plays average-to-poor in the VFL. Now being discussed as a "has-been" a month after being discussed as in form and integral to our 2023 flag chances.

Only Dees fans lose their judgement within a week. Seriously a week in our calendar is akin to a month for most teams. We want every thing NOW and NO EXCUSE. Then we go overboard when the player does play well. !! 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Just watched the game. A disgraceful second quarter that cost us the game. Apart from that, I think we had the better of it. Turner is going to be a good player just reads the play so well. Howes and Woewodin contributed but need to use the ball better. Harmes and Dunstan were their usual selves. The forward line is disgraceful a lot of missed opportunities. Brown and McDonald should be ashamed of themselves.

Agree with that assessment.

I am getting a little concerned about Jefferson’s lack of intensity I realise he’s not Tom Hawkins but I would like to see some more marks at this level. I think my fear is that he could be the second coming of The Weed. Having BB and TMac in the F50 didn’t help yesterday I guess. 
 

The only ones you could really consider for promotion after that game were Disco, Harmes and Dunstan. 
 

Not giving up on young fellas as we have seen the likes of McVee turn it around fast. Still a lot of improvement required from the others including Howes and Woey before they get a call up. 

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LOST AT HOME by K C from Casey
 
After a season and a quarter during which they dominated the VFL competition, the Casey Demons made an uncharacteristic slip up that resulted in a two goal defeat. It would be unfair therefore, to be too critical of their performance in going down to Richmond on Sunday at the home fortress, Casey Fields.  
 
At the same time however, it would be fair to say that the circumstances of the defeat were more than disappointing. The team Casey fielded included 14 AFL listed players as against about half a dozen on Richmond’s AFL roster. Moreover, they had  the advantage of experienced veterans all over the ground to the point where it should never have been a struggle to win and where defeat was almost unthinkable. 
 
One has to wonder as to whether the result was an outlier. After all, it doesn’t often happen that your three key forwards on the day, Ben Brown, Tom McDonald and Ryan Valentine kick two goals 10 behinds between them. And more than half of the missed shots for goal were very, very gettable. After all, Brown and McDonald have 369 AFL games and more than 500 goals between them!
 
But the most unforgivable aspect of the game was the lack of intensity displayed in the battle for the points on offer. For that, both teams were responsible but Casey has been renowned of late for its contested football and strong tackling game.
 
When Senior Coach, Taylor Whitford and his assistants sit down to discuss their first loss for the season, they will be confronted with the fact that nine of their players on the day, failed to execute a single tackle and three others managed just one. The entire team managed only 35 tackles for the game - exactly the same number of tackles executed in his three games this season by the club’s currently injured tackle machine James Munro. That figure tells us how sorely missed this one player was to the team.
 
After dominating the first ten to fifteen minutes of the game, the Demons dropped their guard. They were sluggish and appeared unwilling to take risks. Eventually, they allowed the Tigers back into the game and then the opposition sensed weakness and took control. After a horror second term when they scored a mere five behinds to 6.1, they were in an uncustomary position, trailing by four goals at half time. 
 
They regrouped and pegged the deficit back to half that margin by the end of the game but even then, it was left too far too few to do the heavy lifting. Casey in general was not fighting hard enough to keep the ball within the fifty metre arc and therefore, the was unable to bridge the gap to victory.
 
Three players deserve to be mentioned in the wash up to this game. Luke Dunstan was a tireless worker for the team and combined strongly with James Harmes in stemming the tide and bringing the team to within a kick or two of regaining the ascendancy in the last half of the game. Likewise, Daniel Turner was rock solid in defence, often against a deluge. He looks to have a future at a higher level.
 
Full credit to the winners for playing as a team and sticking to the plan of playing positive attacking football and refusing to become overawed by a more seasoned opponent. Things won’t be any easier for the Demons in their next challenge which takes the form of a top of the table clash against an in-form and undefeated Box Hill Hawks to be played next Sunday afternoon at the Wonthaggi Recreation Reserve.

CASEY DEMONS 2.4.16 2.9.21 8.13.61 11.16.82

RICHMOND VFL 1.2.8 7.3.45 12.4.76 14.10.94 

GOALS 

CASEY DEMONS Harmes 3 Dunstan Edwards 2 Grey Jefferson McDonald Valentine

RICHMOND VFL Melville Nathan 3 Ross 2 Bilston-McGillen Faimalo Hicks McDonagh May Olden

BEST 

CASEY DEMONS Dunstan Harmes Turner Howes Edwards Woewoedin 

RICHMOND VFL Ross McDonagh Trezise Bracher Teal Olden

Statistics 

Jed Adams 5 kicks 2 handballs 7 disposals 4 marks 28 dream team points
Jack Bell 5 kicks 3 handballs 8 disposals 3 marks 2 tackles 25 hit outs 54 dream team points
Ben Brown 4 behinds 7 kicks 5 handballs 12 disposals 6 marks 1 tackles 51 dream team points
Luke Dunstan 2 goals 20 kicks 20 handballs 40 disposals 12 marks 4 tackles 162 dream team points
Tyler Edwards 2 goals 11 kicks 3 handballs 14 disposals 3 marks 3 tackles 66 dream team points
Kyah Ferris-White 2 handballs 2 disposals 12 hit outs 11 dream team points
Max Gregory 3 kicks 6 handballs 9 disposals 21 dream team points
George Grey 1 goal 10 kicks 5 handballs 15 disposals 2 marks 2 tackles 62 dream team points
James Harmes 3 goals 10 kicks 19 handballs 29 disposals 6 marks 3 tackles 113 dream team points
Blake Howes 8 kicks 8 handballs 16 disposals 5 marks 5 tackles 72 dream team points
Matt Jefferson 1 goal 1 behind 3 kicks 1 handballs 4 disposals 2 marks 1 tackle 28 dream team points
Tom McDonald 1 goal 3 behinds 11 kicks 3 handballs 14 disposals 3 marks 9 hit outs 60 dream team points 
Andy Moniz-Wakefield 6 kicks 5 handballs 11 disposals 3 tackles 40 dream team points
Harvey Neocleous 2 kicks 5 handballs 7 disposals 2 marks 3 tackles 31 dream team points
Oliver Sestan 1 behind 9 kicks 1 handballs 10 disposals 4 marks 37 dream team points
Miles Shepherd 5 kicks 3 handballs 8 disposals  2 marks 27 dream team points
Cooper Simpson 2 kicks 5 handballs 7 disposals 1 mark 19 dream team points
Deaykin Smith 7 kicks 5 handballs 12 disposals 3 marks 37 dream team points
Roan Steele 1 behind 6 kicks 5 handballs 11 disposals 2 marks 2 tackles 42 dream team points
Adam Tomlinson 11 kicks 4 handballs 15 disposals 4 marks 53 dream team points
Daniel Turner 13 kicks 5 handballs 18 disposals  8 marks 2 tackles 80 dream team points
Ryan Valentine 1 goal 3 behinds 6 kicks 6 disposals 5 marks 1 tackle 2 hit outs 49 dream team points
Taj Woewodin 1 behind 11 kicks 8 handballs 19 disposals 2 marks 2 tackles 64 dream team points

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Redleg said:

You could not possibly play him in the seniors on that performance, nor Tom.

Our key forward stocks are looking very thin atm.

We over  invested in TMac instead of finding a replacement years ago in my opinion

  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Demonland said:
LOST AT HOME by K C from Casey
 
After a season and a quarter during which they dominated the VFL competition, the Casey Demons made an uncharacteristic slip up that resulted in a two goal defeat. It would be unfair therefore, to be too critical of their performance in going down to Richmond on Sunday at the home fortress, Casey Fields.  
 
At the same time however, it would be fair to say that the circumstances of the defeat were more than disappointing. The team Casey fielded included 14 AFL listed players as against about half a dozen on Richmond’s AFL roster. Moreover, they had  the advantage of experienced veterans all over the ground to the point where it should never have been a struggle to win and where defeat was almost unthinkable. 
 
One has to wonder as to whether the result was an outlier. After all, it doesn’t often happen that your three key forwards on the day, Ben Brown, Tom McDonald and Ryan Valentine kick two goals 10 behinds between them. And more than half of the missed shots for goal were very, very gettable. After all, Brown and McDonald have 369 AFL games and more than 500 goals between them!
 
But the most unforgivable aspect of the game was the lack of intensity displayed in the battle for the points on offer. For that, both teams were responsible but Casey has been renowned of late for its contested football and strong tackling game.
 
When Senior Coach, Taylor Whitford and his assistants sit down to discuss their first loss for the season, they will be confronted with the fact that nine of their players on the day, failed to execute a single tackle and three others managed just one. The entire team managed only 35 tackles for the game - exactly the same number of tackles executed in his three games this season by the club’s currently injured tackle machine James Munro. That figure tells us how sorely missed this one player was to the team.
 
After dominating the first ten to fifteen minutes of the game, the Demons dropped their guard. They were sluggish and appeared unwilling to take risks. Eventually, they allowed the Tigers back into the game and then the opposition sensed weakness and took control. After a horror second term when they scored a mere five behinds to 6.1, they were in an uncustomary position, trailing by four goals at half time. 
 
They regrouped and pegged the deficit back to half that margin by the end of the game but even then, it was left too far too few to do the heavy lifting. Casey in general was not fighting hard enough to keep the ball within the fifty metre arc and therefore, the was unable to bridge the gap to victory.
 
Three players deserve to be mentioned in the wash up to this game. Luke Dunstan was a tireless worker for the team and combined strongly with James Harmes in stemming the tide and bringing the team to within a kick or two of regaining the ascendancy in the last half of the game. Likewise, Daniel Turner was rock solid in defence, often against a deluge. He looks to have a future at a higher level.
 
Full credit to the winners for playing as a team and sticking to the plan of playing positive attacking football and refusing to become overawed by a more seasoned opponent. Things won’t be any easier for the Demons in their next challenge which takes the form of a top of the table clash against an in-form and undefeated Box Hill Hawks to be played next Sunday afternoon at the Wonthaggi Recreation Reserve.

CASEY DEMONS 2.4.16 2.9.21 8.13.61 11.16.82

RICHMOND VFL 1.2.8 7.3.45 12.4.76 14.10.94 

GOALS 

CASEY DEMONS Harmes 3 Dunstan Edwards 2 Grey Jefferson McDonald Valentine

RICHMOND VFL Melville Nathan 3 Ross 2 Bilston-McGillen Faimalo Hicks McDonagh May Olden

BEST 

CASEY DEMONS Dunstan Harmes Turner Howes Edwards Woewoedin 

RICHMOND VFL Ross McDonagh Trezise Bracher Teal Olden

Statistics 

Jed Adams 5 kicks 2 handballs 7 disposals 4 marks 28 dream team points
Jack Bell 5 kicks 3 handballs 8 disposals 3 marks 2 tackles 25 hit outs 54 dream team points
Ben Brown 4 behinds 7 kicks 5 handballs 12 disposals 6 marks 1 tackles 51 dream team points
Luke Dunstan 2 goals 20 kicks 20 handballs 40 disposals 12 marks 4 tackles 162 dream team points
Tyler Edwards 2 goals 11 kicks 3 handballs 14 disposals 3 marks 3 tackles 66 dream team points
Kyah Ferris-White 2 handballs 2 disposals 12 hit outs 11 dream team points
Max Gregory 3 kicks 6 handballs 9 disposals 21 dream team points
George Grey 1 goal 10 kicks 5 handballs 15 disposals 2 marks 2 tackles 62 dream team points
James Harmes 3 goals 10 kicks 19 handballs 29 disposals 6 marks 3 tackles 113 dream team points
Blake Howes 8 kicks 8 handballs 16 disposals 5 marks 5 tackles 72 dream team points
Matt Jefferson 1 goal 1 behind 3 kicks 1 handballs 4 disposals 2 marks 1 tackle 28 dream team points
Tom McDonald 1 goal 3 behinds 11 kicks 3 handballs 14 disposals 3 marks 9 hit outs 60 dream team points 
Andy Moniz-Wakefield 6 kicks 5 handballs 11 disposals 3 tackles 40 dream team points
Harvey Neocleous 2 kicks 5 handballs 7 disposals 2 marks 3 tackles 31 dream team points
Oliver Sestan 1 behind 9 kicks 1 handballs 10 disposals 4 marks 37 dream team points
Miles Shepherd 5 kicks 3 handballs 8 disposals  2 marks 27 dream team points
Cooper Simpson 2 kicks 5 handballs 7 disposals 1 mark 19 dream team points
Deaykin Smith 7 kicks 5 handballs 12 disposals 3 marks 37 dream team points
Roan Steele 1 behind 6 kicks 5 handballs 11 disposals 2 marks 2 tackles 42 dream team points
Adam Tomlinson 11 kicks 4 handballs 15 disposals 4 marks 53 dream team points
Daniel Turner 13 kicks 5 handballs 18 disposals  8 marks 2 tackles 80 dream team points
Ryan Valentine 1 goal 3 behinds 6 kicks 6 disposals 5 marks 1 tackle 2 hit outs 49 dream team points
Taj Woewodin 1 behind 11 kicks 8 handballs 19 disposals 2 marks 2 tackles 64 dream team points

These stats are interesting, was checking the VFL app and noticed its all changed?

Screenshot_20230424_073838_VFL.thumb.jpg.f710efe74fb024e746197125414c7a38.jpgScreenshot_20230424_073848_VFL.thumb.jpg.e5ea33bca09b185fb9c4a478410a72f3.jpg

  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Bystander said:

Next 2 weeks are Casey versus hawthorn and gold coast, who sit 2nd and 3rd on ladder. Looking forward to both games and 2 wins, despite yesterday's aberration.

They are really missing both Mitch White and the Moose atm 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Deeoldfart said:

I thought this match would be a lay down misere for Casey, given our recent form, and our high number of AFL listed representatives, relative to very few for R’mond.  Consequently, I made the (serious) mistake of making an alternate commitment, on the grounds that I would read Demonland when I returned home, and sleep very well tonight.
It’s hard for me to comprehend the final result, even after quite a few Cabernets.  Very disappointing indeed!

I was very worried watching this game.

Yes, TMac and BBB we're bog ordinary but our troubles seem to run deeper.

1. Teams seem to be pulling our game apart now at both levels. The put pressure on us and block the corridors and we're just panicking and blind kicking and bombing it long into our forward line.

2. We just look slow and tired this year. I Went to the lions game and we looked cooked. We looked flogged against Essendon last week at both levels.

As I watch the Crows rise, I think we're missing Burgess. 

Our hard, two way running in waves is disappearing at both levels.

Teams are getting the opportunity to cover us

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE BLOW by Whispering Jack

    Narrm’s finals prospects took a crushing blow after the team’s insipid performance at Optus Stadium against a confident Waaljit Marawar in the first of its Doug Nicholls Round outings for 2024.  I use the description “crushing blow” advisedly because, although the season is not yet at it’s halfway mark, the Demons have now failed abysmally in two of their games against teams currently occupying bottom eight places on the ladder.  The manner in which these losing games were played out w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 6

    HALF FULL by KC from Casey

    It was a case of the Casey Demons going into a game with a glass half full in their match up against the Brisbane Lions at Casey Fields on Saturday. As the list of injured and unavailable AFL and VFL listed players continues to grow and with Melbourne taking all three emergencies to Perth for the weekend on a “just in case” basis, its little brother was always destined to struggle. Casey was left with only eight AFL listed players from who to select their team but only two - an out-of-form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demons return to the MCG to take on the Saints in Round 11 on the back of two straight losses in a row. With Jake Lever out with concussion who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 226

    PODCAST: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 20th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Demons disaapoiting performance against the Eagles at Optus Stadium in Round 10. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    VOTES: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 37

    POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Many warned that this was a danger game and the Demons were totally outclassed all game by a young Eagles team at Optus Stadium in Perth as they were defeated by 35 points.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 445

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 884

    WARNING by William from Waalitj

    As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 22

    OVER YET? by KC from Casey

    The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...