The 2023 AFL Pre-season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP) 

Whispering_Jack

Can we select both Burgoyne and Turner if Salo is placed on the LT injury list?  Genuine question.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 2

5 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Was taken in the rookie draft of 2019. Not sure your enthusiasm is shared by others on exposed form

C'est la vie!

• Like 2

On 2/9/2023 at 1:29 PM, george_on_the_outer said:

Having been to a number of training sessions, I haven't seen anything from Burgoyne which would justify a spot on the list.  He just keeps getting caught trying to do too much.  His position is even more doubtful when we have the likes of AMW and Deakyn Smith who have been in the system already and have that "something possible" in the way they play.  Burgoyne would suit a spot at Casey if they can fit him in on their list, so that he can at least show his wares.

Turner offers more for us today and is suited to multiple roles.  But really, at the moment we don't NEED either.

Shame about Burgoyne then as we could really use a small quick pressure fwd who can kick goals to help out Kossie.

A Ricky Jackson or Jeff Garlett in their heyday would round the team off beautifully.

• Like 1

Anthony Caminiti is a tall key position forward from the Northern Knights who was mentioned in despatches a couple of years ago as a likely draft pick but was overlooked in the end. He persevered and is about to be added to the rookie list at Moorabbin ahead of the SSP deadline. The Saints offered the 19-year-old key forward a contract hours after a dominant match sim display at RSEA Park on Friday. 

• Like 3

Agree about Burgoyne at the present moment but I have the belief that his skills outside match-play and early practice scenarios could develop to an impressive level once he is 'systemised' with experience, mentoring and the stabilities of stepping stone functionalities. At present, he seems, from reports, to be rather predictable and thus limited. 

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

his skills outside match-play and early practice scenarios could develop to an impressive level once he is 'systemised' with experience, mentoring and the stabilities of stepping stone functionalities. 

I'm not quiet sure what that means but he has been mentored and systemised at Port.

Just having a famous surname doesn't always cut it.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

At present, he seems, from reports, to be rather predictable and thus limited. 

He is also very team orientated. In his earlier sessions, he would let others get to the ball, or would quickly dish it off to them. It is tough in his precarious position. Lately he has been taking them on and pushing harder to get the ball.

The longer he is with us the better he is looking, whereas K.Turner is falling off the pace. Burgoyne is a chance, I reckon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Anthony Caminiti is a tall key position forward from the Northern Knights who was mentioned in despatches a couple of years ago as a likely draft pick but was overlooked in the end. He persevered and is about to be added to the rookie list at Moorabbin ahead of the SSP deadline. The Saints offered the 19-year-old key forward a contract hours after a dominant match sim display at RSEA Park on Friday. 

We should’ve got the paperwork to him over the weekend and poached him before St Kilda had a chance. For nothing else but to mess with them. Ross Lyon would appreciate that. 

I was a fan of Hudson O’Keefe too, but we made our picks of young rucks already 

• Like 1

I haven’t seen good or bad with Burgoyne. He’s built in to his time and had more chances once back in full training and match sim. But I really haven’t seen enough of anything. Pressure, skill or ability to find the ball.

I don’t know what others have seen with Kye Turner but I think he’s been fairly consistent. At times he gets beat, other times he’s marked or spoiled. He shows very good recovery once the ball hits the deck. His kicking doesn’t look great but isn’t terrible. 

Does he read the ball in the air or hit the contest hard enough for afl footy - I’m not sure. But I think he’s pretty close and and might be only one good training away from locking it up. 

We are deep with tall defenders but light on for mediums and lock down players. Particularly if Joel Smith trains as a forward 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kev martin said:

He is also very team orientated. In his earlier sessions, he would let others get to the ball, or would quickly dish it off to them. It is tough in his precarious position. Lately he has been taking them on and pushing harder to get the ball.

The longer he is with us the better he is looking, whereas K.Turner is falling off the pace. Burgoyne is a chance, I reckon.

Yes, the longer, the better. He really has talent and has used it at lower grades rather well. In the heat of the AFL, that would be very useful for the Dees so development and team integration times are a factor, of which he has plenty so there are fewer barriers. If we can keep the faith (eg: as we did with the Weed) and have a little patience, who knows?

• Like 1

An article that @mauriesyposted in the Kozzie thread says: 

"Richardson said the Demons are likely to wait until Wednesday morning, just hours before the supplemental selection period closes, to determine whether former Port Adelaide rookie Trent Burgoyne, the son of Power great Peter, or Old Haileybury backman Kye Turner, win a spot on the club’s rookie list".

Not giving much away as that could be read as either will win a spot or neither will.  We will know by this tine tomorrow.

I don't mind the idea of keeping the spot open for a mid season draftee in case of a LT injury.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 3

On 2/13/2023 at 1:51 PM, Bring-Back-Powell said:

If it's line ball between Burgoyne and Turner, then just go with Burgoyne, if only to keep Kozzie happy.

Every 1 percenter counts in regards to Kozzie's decision.

(although it sounds like our track watchers aren't impressed with Burgoyne so it's probably not happening)

Quinton Narkle anyone?

• Thinking 1

10 hours ago, Cheney said:

Quinton Narkle anyone?

Yes get him to training tomorrow morning at Goschs. Will put a rocket up our heroic 2021 stars underperforming half forwards of last year. Also Chandler needs to be given an opportunity to se if he can make it and kick goals as well as put pressure on defences with tackling and hard won contests. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 5:37 PM, Cranky Franky said:

Shame about Burgoyne then as we could really use a small quick pressure fwd who can kick goals to help out Kossie.

A Ricky Jackson or Jeff Garlett in their heyday would round the team off beautifully.

Agree, Ive yet to see Burgoyne do anywhere near enough! Quinton Narkle would be a great addition IMV

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 9:15 PM, Apocalypse XXXI said:

Mitch Szybkowski is training on at Essendon in the New Year. Pity in a way because I was hoping he would land at Casey and possibly end up with Melbourne eventually. However, he’s probably of a type that’s similar to some of our gun midfielders but not nearly as good.

Has signed with Frankston’s VFL side. The Dolphins have struggled to make finals of late but have done well recently in producing a few players drafted at AFL level.

Edited by Apocalypse XXXI

16 hours ago, picket fence said:

Agree, Ive yet to see Burgoyne do anywhere near enough! Quinton Narkle would be a great addition IMV

narkle gets mistaken as a crafty HF type when in actuality hes never managed to really turn a game there, he's actually not very flashy and much more suited to a pure on ball role as a first hands mid whos quite bullocking and has a touch of burst