Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

Saints Sack Ratten & Appoint Lyon as Coach


whatwhat say what
 Share


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

A Bombers mate sms'd me the other day as well. He said they have been a sh-t club for 15 years and still are one. He said they are a shambles.

Waiting for the next mate from another club.

Good job the Suns don't have any fans otherwise you'd be inundated with text messages

  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 minutes ago, BDA said:

Good job the Suns don't have any fans otherwise you'd be inundated with text messages

Actually think they are improving on and off field and are trying to get out of the mess they created a few years ago.

They had players threatening to leave and probably destroy the club, so they had to be overpaid to keep them.

They have shown faith in their Coach and are definitely improving. Ran the Pies to a few points, just as an example.

With luck they could make their first final next year.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Redleg said:

Actually think they are improving on and off field and are trying to get out of the mess they created a few years ago.

They had players threatening to leave and probably destroy the club, so they had to be overpaid to keep them.

They have shown faith in their Coach and are definitely improving. Ran the Pies to a few points, just as an example.

their improvement is off low base Red

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Ratten was a good coach at Carlton who got nowhere because their recruiting was awful and their list just ran out of improvement.

I think he did ok at St Kilda but someone has to take the fall for their lack of list strategy apart from load up on players other teams didn’t want.

It probably wasn’t Ratten’s idea, but a coach has to give direction to their football department and if it’s the wrong direction they need to get out.

Its a shame for Brett because he’s 100-1 to get a 3rd shot at it but it’s hard to argue it was either sack him now or sack him in June. 

Here we have the exact answer from Spence that i was expecting…

like Clockwork 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Demonland said:

 

Do they not remember how he left them?He completely torched that club, and it’s list.

Listening to him talk over the last couple of years I’ve come to the conclusion that what he had worked once, but won’t cut it in the contemporary AFL. Players need more engagement. He strikes me as being very autocratic.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Here we have the exact answer from Spence that i was expecting…

like Clockwork 

I’m expressing my views. Ratten, ok coach, bad circumstances, treated poorly but was his demise was probably inevitable is hardly a unique view.

You are wasting my time, your own time and the time everyone who has to read your post and this post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I’m expressing my views. Ratten, ok coach, bad circumstances, treated poorly but was his demise was probably inevitable is hardly a unique view.

You are wasting my time, your own time and the time everyone who has to read your post and this post.

This has nothing to do with Ratten, that is the point. This is all List Management and Recruiting 

Ratten did an excellent job getting a 50% winning ratio out of that lot

He is an absolute scapegoat in all of this and Should demand every cent of that 2 year deal. 
 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The heart beats true said:

Do they not remember how he left them?He completely torched that club, and it’s list.

Listening to him talk over the last couple of years I’ve come to the conclusion that what he had worked once, but won’t cut it in the contemporary AFL. Players need more engagement. He strikes me as being very autocratic.

He torched the list but isn’t going all in to win one absolutely justifiable when you’ve won 1 flag in 100 years?

At Freo he pulled up stumps and invested in draft picks and rebuilt once the era was over. Now they’re looking healthy again.

I don’t know about his off field stuff or his man management but players are generally happy when you’re winning and unhappy when you’re losing.

After the Adelaide camp, the Essendon saga, the Hawthorn alleged reports with Fages and Clarko, maybe Ross being a bit demanding on players isn’t all that bad. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Yze wants to be a senior coach this is not a team he should start with since they want results immediately and a premiership soon.

The list is wishy washy hash of castoffs and hastily selected rejects, player are there for their retirement pay day.

They got Hannebery who well past his use by date, Ryder who was in his twilight of his career who suffered lots of soft tissue injuries because they need him to play too many matches per season.

Brad Hill was maybe near enough to being over the hill.

Brad Crouch need a retirement home.

These are some of the players they expected to create a premiership team.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

This has nothing to do with Ratten, that is the point. This is all List Management and Recruiting 

Ratten did an excellent job getting a 50% winning ratio out of that lot

He is an absolute scapegoat in all of this and Should demand every cent of that 2 year deal. 
 

A coach has to provide the vision and direction for the list. Goodwin has always been aligned with JT about bringing in competitors and a focus on contested ball. Every new mature recruits speaks to Goodwin’s plans for their role.

Sam Mitchell right now at Hawthorn is putting his stamp on that club and being completely frank about his desire not just to sneak in to finals. That’s the job. 

The head coach always gets the blame. They have to demand what they need 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yze was lucky to miss out on the Essendon gig but there aren;t many jobs out there. He can't be choosy. If he gets the opportunity to coach the Saints he should take it

That said it looks like they want an experienced coach to try and coax something from this group. good luck. Other than King and Steele there's not much to work with

  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

As I posted earlier. Got someone and dumped him. Blokes who appointed him and gave him that list remain and even get promoted. Great club.

Now they may only give Ratten 6 months pay, on a 2 year extension, which stopped him applying for other jobs that were available.

If that's true, wish them continued misery. Ratten is a decent bloke, who deserves better.

I would take him as an Assistant Coach.

Think we already know who the new Coach is.

Yep would take him in a heartbeat on our coaching staff, fantastic human being is Rats

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

A coach has to provide the vision and direction for the list. Goodwin has always been aligned with JT about bringing in competitors and a focus on contested ball. Every new mature recruits speaks to Goodwin’s plans for their role.

Sam Mitchell right now at Hawthorn is putting his stamp on that club and being completely frank about his desire not just to sneak in to finals. That’s the job. 

The head coach always gets the blame. They have to demand what they need 

He probably demanded lots of things and got none of it. 
watch The History of St.Kilda Football Club on YouTube. It goes about 90 Minutes 

Lurches from one disaster to another from Day 1

This is not the Fault of Ratten 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

A Bombers mate sms'd me the other day as well. He said they have been a sh-t club for 15 years and still are one. He said they are a shambles.

Waiting for the next mate from another club.

Come off it Red ! You wouldn't have that many mates.

  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites


So they didn't like his answers in a 7 hour meeting.  They've said they don't want to be a 6 - 10 club.  So I'm guessing he too blunt on what really lay ahead as after being resigned, when they were winning he thought they were on the same page?  What do they think caused their late season slump? Draw, injuries to key's like Ryder etc.  The players trust him.  As for being "tough" or demanding enough.  You can't demand more effort out of players if they don't trust you and according to reports they still do.

I'm guessing  this the a case of the board over estimating the list and what it can achieve, or is the list manager saying they should have gotten more out of the group this year.  I guess after 2019 they expected to push deep into finals. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, durango said:

If Yze wants to be a senior coach this is not a team he should start with since they want results immediately and a premiership soon.

The list is wishy washy hash of castoffs and hastily selected rejects, player are there for their retirement pay day.

They got Hannebery who well past his use by date, Ryder who was in his twilight of his career who suffered lots of soft tissue injuries because they need him to play too many matches per season.

Brad Hill was maybe near enough to being over the hill.

Brad Crouch need a retirement home.

These are some of the players they expected to create a premiership team.

Agree

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, old dee said:

Costly move. 2 years salary !!!!

i believe Ol' Fella that AFL changed all club contracts to mean that only 6 months salary to be paid out no matter how many months are left.

Saints president, Andrew Bassat, said at today's media conference that paying out was the decent thing to do!

The decent thing to do!!!  what about the other 18 months Bassat -

that's Bassat the multi millionaire from Seek.com, where poor Ratten now finds himself.

Pay Ratten the full amount but that's typical of Linton St - they went broke what 3 times in the 60s, 70s and 80s?

Didn't pay their only premiership coach his dues - even when the two-headed monster Butters and Thomas were making record profits.

no wonder I am an Anti-Saint!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Demonland changed the title to Saints Sack Ratten & Appoint Lyon as Coach

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    BLINK OF AN EYE by The Oracle

    In the year 2022, we learned that the fine between ultimate success in sport and failure can be measured in the blink of an eye. The Melbourne Football Club began the year where it had left off in 2021 - as the powerhouse of the AFL men’s competition.  They steamed towards the halfway mark of the season taking all before them until their winning streak of ten in a row (17 overall since the latter part of the premiership season) came to a crushing end with consecutive losses at the hands of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    CHANGES 2022 Part 03 by The Oracle

    Part Three - Comparing apples with pomegranates by The Oracle One of the truly pointless exercises after each year’s draft is the game over which club “won” the period in question. The reality is that there is no winner or loser at the time and it’s only years further down the track when a full assessment of how the picks turn out can be made, that the winning hand is revealed. And the draft results cannot be considered in isolation; you need to look at where each club stood before the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    GRAND NEW FLAG by Meggs

    Daisy was at pains to tell everyone who asked that the grand final story was NOT the Daisy Pearce story.  She wanted people to focus on the Melbourne Football Club, our wonderful players and non-playing teammates, her legacy buddy head coach Mick Stinear, the assistant coaches, the Club volunteers, the Board, the administrators, #DeeArmy, all supporters, in fact anyone who bleeds for the red and the blue.  But it is also a bit about the pioneer, role model, mother who is Daisy Pearce

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EYES ON THE PRIZE by Meggs

    The Stinear/Pearce partnership has evolved over the 7 AFLW seasons and they have built a team with talented, committed footballers who play for each other and execute a highly entertaining brand of footy. On Sunday can a premiership be added to this legacy? This may well be the last time we see Daisy in the mighty red and blue as she contemplates her start date for a coaching role ‘Down at Kardinia Park’.  Last week’s sensational sealer in the Prelim showed everybody that Daisy could s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DAISY’S DEMON DRIVE by Meggs

    On a blustery Saturday afternoon when the conditions affected marking skills and the ball bounced unpredictably, the Mighty Dees stuck fat against a determined Kangaroos outfit to break away with two final quarter goals to none to win AFLW Preliminary Final 2 by 17 points — an all-time high winning margin between these two teams.  From the outset it was a fiercely fought contest with Melbourne unable to find the ball in space. North really amped up their one-percenters an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NOT A MOMENT TO MISS by Meggs

    The AFLW Season 7 fixture was carefully crafted to purposely handicap the better teams and give the expansion and developing sides an easier draw.  Nonetheless, this weekend’s Preliminary Finals will showcase the Lions, Demons, Crows and Roos, teams widely accepted as the best 4 in the competition.   In Friday night’s Prelim 1 the minor premiers, Brisbane, will start warm favourites at home against Adelaide.   On Saturday afternoon at Ikon Park, Prelim 2 between Melbourne and North is

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STICK TO YOUR GUNS by Meggs

    The Dees convincingly overcome the fast-starting reigning-premiers Adelaide to win by 21 points in a fiery Qualifying Final match at Ikon Park on Friday evening.     In that first quarter Adelaide jumped out of the blocks kicking their first goal inside 20 seconds finishing with 3 goals to nil. All was quiet at Ikon Park.     Melbourne, having easily outplayed lesser opponents over the past six weeks took time to ratchet up their intensity.  But, by mid to late first quarter, the Dees be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HEAVYWEIGHTS by Meggs

    AFLW heavyweights Melbourne and Adelaide kick off the AFLW Season 7 Final Series with a massive Qualifying Final clash at Ikon Park this Friday night at 7:10pm.  The game promises to be a cracker.   Last season’s Grand Final combatants last met in Round 1where Melbourne came away with a strong 18-point victory at Glenelg Oval. The Dees will be hoping to replicate the result and move directly to the Preliminary Final.    While Adelaide may not have been as intimidating this season as in p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH by Meggs

    Congratulations to Daisy’s Dees on a huge 78-point one-sided win against West Coast in challenging windy and wet conditions at Casey Fields.     The banner celebrating Sarah Lampard’s 50 games was a victim of the wind, but nonetheless Lampy received a warm round of applause from the parochial crowd in attendance.   Melbourne has the double-chance and is excited about its chances in the Season 7 AFLW finals. If this means the Grand Final is played at Metricon and the Demond make it, then

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...