PF: Melbourne vs Geelong

Demonland

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

This is rubbish, propaganda driven by Geelong people.

The only time they "had us covered" was the 20 minute patch in the second quarter where they dominated stoppages and kicked 6 goals.

If anyone had anyone covered the rest of the game, it was us covering them.

And they didn't rest anyone. Dangerfield was (allegedly) sick and spent time on the bench in the fourth but that was it.

Why do people have to minimise our win?

They had an extremely lucky 5-10 minute period where every possible clearance scenario went their way ricochets and all and kicked 6 straight.

Where were they for the rest of the game? 2 goals after half time.

The quicker we destroy their spirit the better, they will not have the stomach for it.

Remember they and the Bulldogs were the only clubs moaning about the removal of the pre finals break, i wonder why?

Edited by Win4theAges
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Just got back from next Saturday. We beat Geelong by 32 points. I attend the game but get booted out at 3/4 time after drinking 13 pints then spewing up on some Geelong supporters. 

Must be a helluva spew to send you back in time a week.

• Like 1

Rd 23   Geelong  vs  Melbourne   77 : 81      GMHBA stadium

This was what they did to us in details in that 2nd quarter:

44816127_Screenshot(104).thumb.png.93bba75e447c1564422586bac49ec8a5.png

From 19:59 Hawkins' goal to 28:12 Rohan's goal, there were 5 goals in 8+minutes! Our team as a whole had never experienced that kind of "burst" from our opponents before, some of our player were simply shocked and got lost ... I trust our current team, I believe they would learn the lesson, they would be able to handle the situation better, even much better next time around.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Min Xie said:

From 19:59 Hawkins' goal to 28:12 Rohan's goal, there were 5 goals in 8+minutes! Our team as a whole had never experienced that kind of "burst" from our opponents before, some of our player were simply shocked and got lost ... I trust our current team, I believe they would learn the lesson, they would be able to handle the situation better, even much better next time around.

We literally didn’t touch it. Smashed in the middle.

It’s unsustainable IMO, but if Duckwood and DangerHand and Nick Minchin do that to us again and again and again and win then that will torment the dreams of CP, CO and JV for a long stretch of time. 

Just can’t see that type of dominance occurring again and changing the result.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Definitely a huge worry game for me.

Last time they didn't have Touhy, Duncan and Rata. 

Joel Smith will stay now especially Big sav down there. Bowey for me is still the vulnerable one down back. I said Hibbo last week but if Jayden Hunt is ready then I'd bring him to give us some speed out of the back half.

Our defence and mids have to be really switched on from get go.

How exactly is Bowey vulnerable? 
Looked pretty free and calm and composed in the last quarter last week 

Good game  overall started with a couple of errors. On day scale he could not be dropped or even thought of being dropped. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

Didn't bother watching the game but heard Hawkins could be in trouble for a typical high hit.
Any-one got a clip?

Not in trouble. It was 50 nothing more. 

• Like 3

Feel that people are underestimating this at their peril (though presumably not the players/club). Geelong have more to lose than us, it must be about their last crack at it with this Selwood-led group. They also have a lot more finals experience than us, and that's something that really counts.

For me, this is a bigger danger game than Port in a GF - though there's a similar discourse around Port, but to a lesser extent.

Edited by bing181
  • Like 3

First game. Geelong goals by each qtr.

1: 1

2: 2

3: 5

4: 1

One lucky quarter saw them catch a break, and kick 5 goals. They struggled to kick goals in 3/4 qtrs. That's our defence.

Screenshot_20210904-042838_AFL.thumb.jpg.e7dea69c5890df8bccbe91b9ecc2574b.jpg

Second game. Geelong goals by each qtr.

1: 2

2: 8

3: 2

4: 0

In 3 out of 4 qtrs, they only managed two lots of two and then a zero. They had one good qtr where they played out of their skin and kicked 8. That's our defence.

Screenshot_20210904-042815_AFL.thumb.jpg.3e3ea3de1f1e42aeb48822ffc961563a.jpg

In 8 quarters of football, only twice have they kicked 3 or more in a quarter against us. And one good quarter a game isn't (and shouldn't) be enough to win you anything, let alone a PF against us. We just need our defence to do as it does. And the rest will do as it's done. I'm as nervous as anyone. But looking back on this, it's calmed me a little bit. Hopefully it can calm you too. :) 

Edited by Sean Balor
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Min Xie said:

They had a golden run and still couldn’t beat us!

Giants fielded ordinary team last night, no Toby Green, Hogan & no Tom Green, from a team already missing 6 starters!

Demons by 5 goals plus, will absolutely run over the top of them.

• Love 2

It's a pity that Geelong didn't get a harder contest last night but that would have required them to have played Sydney and not GWS. The second quarter of our last game against them will be the little wake up call we needed and I'm expecting our boys to be fully focussed on their jobs next Friday. 

If however we have an off night and as a result miss out on a GF I'll take solace in the fact that I couldn't have been there to see it in the flesh anyway and will have saved the best part of $1,000 in category 1 finals tickets over three games. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

It's a pity that Geelong didn't get a harder contest last night but that would have required them to have played Sydney and not GWS. The second quarter of our last game against them will be the little wake up call we needed and I'm expecting our boys to be fully focussed on their jobs next Friday. 

If however we have an off night and as a result miss out on a GF I'll take solace in the fact that I couldn't have been there to see it in the flesh anyway and will have saved the best part of $1,000 in category 1 finals tickets over three games. 

I don't mind that they had a comfortable game against a depleted GWS. Sydney would have probably won based on what I saw tonight and are much more dangerous. The gap between GWS last night and our current level is huge. Geelong won't be easy but I have faith we will be better for longer over 4 qtrs 

• Like 4

I’m surprised at all the concern shown in this thread on facing Geelong. I thought they were really ordinary last night against a banged up team missing their best player and at least 6 other best 22.

- We are very fit and will be fresh as can be, they look real tired.

- Played on a ground not dissimilar dimensions to The G, nothing like Kardinia Park.

- We will have a great crowd presence on our side. ( Pav thinks it will be very pro Dees)

- Their form has plateud for over a month now, I still see improvement in us.

- Belief. I’ve always been a realist when discussing the Dees, usually more on the pessimist side, but we are a different beast to any Dees side in my lifetime.

Its our time.

• Like 5
  • Love 4

I understand why people are nervous and I’m sure the players are too, if the cats can’t beat us at home after kicking 8 straight goals, they would be more worried about playing us at a neutral venue after a week off.  They’ll be competitive for a half of football and then we’ll run over them.  Believe Demons fans!

• Like 3
  • Love 3