Will Nathan Jones get a farewell game?

Redbeard

To name him as a token suggestion onfield or otherwise is the insult imho. If he is not busting down the door for selection, then the finals are just too important in my view to even give him his farewell game. How do you think this would be taken by the rest of the team - i think other players will have mixed feelings about what is more important. Is it putting our best team forward at winning the GF or sending off an individual who was with us in the one of the darkest era's of our history. Team over individual every single time.

I'm not against signing him up for another year to give him a proper farewell game in front of the faithful next year. If he has coaching aspirations, then include that as part of the one year deal. I suspect that this is what will happen otherwise he would have been named in the Adelaide game.

• Like 2

Another thing to consider is that Jones is due to have twins soon. Any game now will require prolonged quarantining and time away from the family. He may not want to do that without a guarantee that he will be in the team, which is obviously not something they can promise him.

• Like 4

it will be so sad from his point of view, if after all those years where he was the only reason to go to games, and while he is still on the senior list he just misses out by a whisker.

maybe he gets a medi sub but that would only happen if all the alternatives have bad games, or get injured, and i don't want to wish that on them. 

Edited by daisycutter
  • Like 1

"Lever said Jones “might be hurting deep down” but had retained his typical professional manner. He said Jones had been best on ground in two of the past three VFL practice matches and was fighting for a recall".

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/new-season-starts-now-demons-dare-to-dream-in-premiership-hunt-20210823-p58l07.html

Draw your own conclusions.

• Like 2

Goody has again been mentioning Nate as pushing for selection.

It's time for Goody to shif or get off the pot.

Recall him, or stop bringing up his name. If he's not getting in, then stop jerking us around.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

1 minute ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Goody has again been mentioning Nate as pushing for selection.

It's time for Goody to shif or get off the pot.

Recall him, or stop bringing up his name. If he's not getting in, then stop jerking us around.

Yeah feel like it would head [censored] Jonesy big time.

I think it's highly unlikely we'll see Jones during the finals series unfortunately. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I think it's highly unlikely we'll see Jones during the finals series unfortunately. 

Jones is depth, he’s be acutely aware of this, but you never know what can happen in the space of a few weeks. He’ll be making sure he’s ready to go in case he is needed. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I agree. Goody might think he is being kind, and while he isn't saying it to be malicious, it mustn't be good for his headspace.

I assume that 'the discussion' would have been had at the end of last year, and potentially leading into this week, that Nate is getting to the end and he can't expect to be first 22 automatically.

He had it with Bernie. He had it with Jordie.

However, he didn't keep teasing them as part of the most likely shot at a premiership in my lifetime. Plus, both of those blokes had played plenty of September footy at their former clubs, especially the former. 

We haven't won a flag in 50+ years, don't think we can afford to be too romantic/sentimental 

Unfortunately think the only way we see Jones is if we lose a couple of mids to injury/suspension.

Don't think JJ or Sparrow have done anything to warrant being out of the match squad.

If it's between Jones and AVB it's a slightly different debate. 

Jones may be doing well in the strange intra/inter club scratch matches (or whatever they are) but can we judge form on that?

But then again,  we don't get the full picture of how everyone is training. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sue said:

Some are assuming that what Goodwin says in public is the same as what he says to Jones in private and that Jones is not aware of the reason for the difference.

Even with that being the case, I'm not sure why a bloke who is renowned for playing his cards so close to his chest in press conferences chooses to be indicative on a topic this sensitive.

And if he has told Nate behind the scenes that he is a long shot at best or finished at worst, why do this? To play mind games with the opposition?

This is a really tough one.

He has been a great  gutsy  player, captain and loyal servant of the Mfc .

Is he good enough to play ie best 22 and if so is there a specific player for him to nullify?

The idea of medical sub sounds good but it carries a risk element if we lose someone early.

There is so much at stake that if hes not best 22 then the smart thing would be to leave him out.

I would say that given the depth of our list and lack of injuries he's not playing again.

Its tough but flag chances have been bloody tough to say the least.

Sadly NJ would be the first to accept his omission for the sake of a flag.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, sue said:

Some are assuming that what Goodwin says in public is the same as what he says to Jones in private and that Jones is not aware of the reason for the difference.

Totally agree.

The players love Goodwin. Can’t we assume that he actually does speak to them, and speaks to them honestly?

I’ve got no doubt that Nathan Jones is entirely aware Of his situation, and I suspect Goody is being quite honest in his press conferences – I would think Nathan Jones is about 24th or 25th in our best 22, so that means that if we get a couple of injuries, he will be called upon and if we don’t, he won’t.

I would also guess Goodwin had a frank discussion with Jonesy either before or just after the 300th, and that Jonesey was well aware of his position. I am sure that he could have chosen to bow out gracefully then and if he chose not to do that, it would have been with the knowledge that he was by no means certain to be selected again.

• Like 3

On 8/12/2021 at 8:04 PM, Dr. Gonzo said:

Neville Jetta too, feel sorry for those two guys.

I'm with you @Dr. Gonzo I feel for both of these guys.

During the dark days, Jones going in and under and getting smashed 

Jetta matching up on taller players and having the ball come in at warp speed a few hundred times a game.

Hope we include them both in ceremony somehow but unfortunately I don't think there's a spot for them in the finals.

• Like 2

Jones was gifted matches early this year.  We were able to able to run down a pensioner side in the cats last week , so why do we a pensioner to be added to our side ?  Water boy at best.

• Facepalm 1
  • Angry 1

Agree with other posters. The club 'did the right thing' by getting him to 300 games where his form probably didn't justify it.

Great clubman. I can see Goody giving him his premiership medallion (thinking positive!) like Beveridge/Murphy.

• Like 3

Grand Final day. Jonesy as medi-sub. Dees up by 6 goals.  Five minutes left.  
Harmesy gets a bad knock on the kneecap and sent to the bench but can’t run. 
Jonesy bursts from the bench and into the ground.  The crowd erupts.  Demonland faithful shed buckets of tears throughout the nation.  

• Like 1

If his form warrants it in these pseudo-practice games of course Nathan Jones can push out a Sparrow. Selection should remain what it has been - rewarding those that play their role and showing (for the most part) selection integrity when players drop in form.

You don't run a line through someone heading into the finals.