Michael Hibberd now Immortalised.

Demon17

Few players can claim to be to famous but not Michael Hibberd, and have a process/style/impact named after them.

After the Tigers game this year the media and others starting using the term regardging how to deal with Dustin Martin - " XXX club (the tiges opponent on any given week)  needs to find THEIR Michael Hibberd..."

This also applied to pre-match discussion on the Dogs game re: tagging the Bont - "...send Hibberd??..." Every team now needs a " Michael Hibberd.."

He kept Stringer to a single goal and quiet game on Saturday - further enhancing his status. From memory I think he dealt with Lance Franklin this year also.

But my quetsion is, given his age at 31, and if I read the Contract thread on Demonland correctly , in his last year this year of contarct - who is his likely successor, and do we have one?

I love Trent Rivers, but he's not in the Hibberd style.

Or is he a once-off?   He was quietly booed at times on Saturday but Bombers fans next to me thought it bad taste and wished he had never left them.

Is cloning a possibility?

• Like 4
  • Love 2

22 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

Few players can claim to be to famous but not Michael Hibberd, and have a process/style/impact named after them.

After the Tigers game this year the media and others starting using the term regardging how to deal with Dustin Martin - " XXX club (the tiges opponent on any given week)  needs to find THEIR Michael Hibberd..."

This also applied to pre-match discussion on the Dogs game re: tagging the Bont - "...send Hibberd??..." Every team now needs a " Michael Hibberd.."

He kept Stringer to a single goal and quiet game on Saturday - further enhancing his status. From memory I think he dealt with Lance Franklin this year also.

But my quetsion is, given his age at 31, and if I read the Contract thread on Demonland correctly , in his last year this year of contarct - who is his likely successor, and do we have one?

I love Trent Rivers, but he's not in the Hibberd style.

Or is he a once-off?   He was quietly booed at times on Saturday but Bombers fans next to me thought it bad taste and wished he had never left them.

Was Stringer quiet? He ended up with 24 disposals and kicked 1.2. 

I've been a big believer that on form alone this year he simply gets a new contract with the thought that he'll play majority of games potentially in the VFL much like what Jetta and Nathan Jones are doing now.

Makes sense why the club is potentially looking at Brayden Maynard if all reports are true. The perfect replacement. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Agree - I thought Stringer was probably the only reason Essendon stayed in the game. Would not have said he was quiet. His decision making at times could have been what cost them

Edited by BW511
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I've been a big believer that on form alone this year he simply gets a new contract with the thought that he'll play majority of games potentially in the VFL much like what Jetta and Nathan Jones are doing now.

Makes sense why the club is potentially looking at Brayden Maynard if all reports are true. The perfect replacement. 

1.2 is better than 4 or 5 Dazzle.  Was piggy on him the entire match?

I reckon he has one more season in him.  Mostly up to him though of course.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Sorry you're right -Stringer wasn't quiet,  I meant ineffective.  he had a couple of opportunites but butchered the ball when in good positions and displayed an unacceptable selfishness when ignoring team mates in better positions.

• Like 3

Stringer played the majority of the game in the middle.  Hibberd picked him up when he drifted into the forward line, when Essendon were in attack.

He didn't have to pick him up all that often, because Stringer is inherently lazy and hung  back looking for the cheapie turnover, ala his goal in the first quarter.  

Edited by george_on_the_outer
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

didn't stringer have nearly half his possessions and scoreboard impact in the first quarter alone?

he ran out of puff, as is standard

and in relation to the 'who is our next hibberd?' the homegrown answer is trent rivers (who is slightly taller but less chunky than pig), the import option is brayden maynard (who is basically the filth's hibberd currently)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demon17 said:

I say, let’s try it!!!!

It worked for Dolly the sheep. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

wasn't pig only on stringer when he was in fwd line.

seemed to me stringer got a bit of midfield time and was more dangerous when he did

• Like 2

1 hour ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Stringer played the majority of the game in the middle.  Hibberd picked him up when he drifted into the forward line, when Essendon were in attack.

He didn't have to pick him up all that often, because Stringer is inherently lazy and hung  back looking for the cheapie turnover, ala his goal in the first quarter.  

Hibbo went to him at the stoppages after quarter time. And from Goodwin's press conference it's pretty clear our coaching staff were happy after quarter time.

I'm not sure he had him at every stoppage, but he certainly had him at a few. Particularly the around the ground stoppages.

Edited by A F
  • Like 2

IMV, the reason Stringer spent so much time in the midfield was because Essendon's coaching staff felt he was unlikely to beat Hibberd inside 50....but could break loose with strength and speed in the middle.

Which he did a few times. Luckliy for us greedily and wastefully for the most part. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

because Stringer is inherently lazy and hung  back looking for the cheapie turnover, ala his goal in the first quarter.  

You also forgot to mention he consistently failed to give it off to teammates in a better position.

I took great pleasure in regaling my Essendon supporting sister-in-law  who I was watching the match with what an ordinary individual he is and why I was happy he had the game he had the week before, because now the Dons will have to give him another contract and watch him become smug and self-satisfied, get injured, comeback fat and lazy and underperform on 95% of his new contract.  

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I certainly hope not, he has a terrible attitude and distracts the focus of his team mates from the game, to himself. 

Big shout out to Hunt who I saw on Tippa for most of the night and kept him quiet. 

Not saying he's our next Hibbert, just that he can be very pleased with his game on Sat night. I like that he's lowering his eyes to find a target this year.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grazman said:

You also forgot to mention he consistently failed to give it off to teammates in a better position.

I took great pleasure in regaling my Essendon supporting sister-in-law  who I was watching the match with what an ordinary individual he is and why I was happy he had the game he had the week before, because now the Dons will have to give him another contract and watch him become smug and self-satisfied, get injured, comeback fat and lazy and underperform on 95% of his new contract.  

Stringer is a low life scumbag. The off field stories I have heard about this guy from people who know him well, just makes me utterly disgusted to think this fat [censored] is earning hundreds of thousands of dollars, instead of dumpster diving for his dinner. 
Fits Essendon’s culture beautifully. 

13 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

There are no actual reports of us looking at Maynard.  It was a thought bubble by J Gadson without any actual evidence which took on a life of its own.