Blues Blues

Demonland

If I was football manager at another club, I would wonder if Clarkson still has the burn. Maybe he does. I wouldn't know. But he's already climbed the mountain. If I as footy manager looked at picking him up, I would be wondering: will he do a Malthouse at Carlton and build up the super fund while winning nothing and eroding the culture?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mazer Rackham said:

If I was football manager at another club, I would wonder if Clarkson still has the burn. Maybe he does. I wouldn't know. But he's already climbed the mountain. If I as footy manager looked at picking him up, I would be wondering: will he do a Malthouse at Carlton and build up the super fund while winning nothing and eroding the culture?

we can only hope so, mazer

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

John Worsfold is mentoring Teague.

"Here, David. Take a valium.....no, take a couple"

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, BAMF said:

It won't take much to turn that list around.

They will be making a big play for Clarkson IMO.

I watched the Carlton v West Coast game and was disgusted by Carltons lack of defensive running.

Teagues press conference was amazing. Looked like a man completely out of ideas.

1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

Clarko 

1 hour ago, Undeeterred said:

Nope

Sam Mitchell is next. 

Hawthorn’s problem is that Mitchell is out of contract and wants to coach next year, but Clarkson is contracted until end of next year.

They’d never say it, but Hawthorn would absolutely love Clarkson to leave to avoid having to choose between sacking a 4x premiership coach and potentially losing their next one. 

35 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

My theory is that Clarkson is a good coach, but also it is underrated just how kissed on the proverbial he was with his list.

Carlton’s list isn’t awful, but I think it could expose Clarkson if they can’t make some savvy moves.

I really hope Clarkson stays on at Hawthorn - 2 years of suffering is not enough.  They haven't fully bottomed out yet and have at least 3 more years in the bottom half and are 5-8 years from contending even if things go right.  I want him to be part of the misery.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dwight Schrute said:

It sounds like they're going to pin everything on the assistants and list manage, have a little clean out and hope that fixes everything. 

fingers crossed it doesn't help at all and they're a mess for the next 80 years.

I said to my Blues mate yesterday I reckon Barker will go as he's been there for ages. And what do you know? He announces today he'll resign. 

I reckon they've spent so much of their cap on half forwards and half backs (Martin, Saad and Williams) and are likely to sink more of that into McKay and Cripps. Weitering is on a long term contract too. 

They can't sack Teague just yet given what they've done with Martin, Saad and Williams. They need to get some better assistants around him and see if that changes things. Unfortunately, I think it will. Their spine is great. They've got two star mids. They've got some zippy smalls that can play wings like Fisher and SPS, they've got two attacking half backs that can springboard attacks from back to front.

I think if they get their coaching set up right and get the defensive mechanisms going, the Blues will be a top 6 team in the next 12 to 18 months.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, rjay said:

Not getting a game 'A F', worth a look?

He's worth a look if Carlton determine he's not in their plans, but I reckon they might come around on that. 

• Like 1

Word around the traps is they are heavily into Ross Lyon to see if he wants to coach again. 

My Carlton mate got this today. He got the word of change of president a couple of weeks before it happened. Teague has lost the players is the word. He certainly looked like someone out of ideas at that press conference on Sunday - it was painful to watch 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, McQueen said:

It reminds of where we've been and only recently too.

But that said, Teague doesn't come across as an inspirational coach when I hear him speak. He doesn't have the answers.. The players aren't invested, Cripps has checked out and Docherty is having a mare of a year - doesn't bode well when they're your Captains.

Teague sounds like a young AFL360 Robbo  when he talks at his pressers, he his still then all of a sudden arks up...

His dozey eyes don't help... surely his nickname is "sleepy"? 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Pollyanna said:

Essendon are in the running there too.

Hmm yes they are. Although they have been consistently mediocre (a bit like the old Richmond), whereas we had a decade of abysmal - likewise Carlton.

• Like 1

It is evident of one of two things.  Teague has not set a defensive structure in place and working to ensure that standard is being met or there is one and the players haven't bought, meaning they aren't playing to their ability. 

It is a mental/cultural problem if there is a decent game plan and the players are not following it.   

• Like 1

It's hard to know if Barker quit, or was pushed. my guess is he has probably decided it's time, maybe was going to go at the end of the year anyway.

I reckon Teague is cooked, and it'll be someone like Ross Lyon that they look to to replace him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tincan said:

Hmm yes they are. Although they have been consistently mediocre (a bit like the old Richmond), whereas we had a decade of abysmal - likewise Carlton.

You're right, since and including 2001:

Ess: 204-6-237 - they are underwater
MFC: 172-3-272 - minus 100 wins
Cartoon: 156-4-287 - we have a loser!

• Like 2

When Barker heard of the review he probably thought "  Not Again - the biggest problem with this place is those running the review. I'm not going to sit through this crap I'm off"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Want a Flag said:

Teague has lost the players is the word.

Defensive efforts from the players is disgraceful. They need to take a look at themselves. Ross Lyon will sort them out and if Carlton are able to bring him on board then they should. No disrespect to Teague but Lyon is a far better coach

What if they just aren’t very good? I feel like they have a few good players, but not enough players who are ‘good enough’. Their bottom 8 aren’t capable - either not yet, or probably not going to be.

I also have thought that they are probably the team that’s been hurt the most by the debacle of the VFL over the last 2 years. They really needed consistency for the age profile of their list. It’s the same sort of argument you can make for guys like Chandler and Bedford at Melbourne - but times about 12 for the blues list.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

My theory is that Clarkson is a good coach, but also it is underrated just how kissed on the proverbial he was with his list.

Carlton’s list isn’t awful, but I think it could expose Clarkson if they can’t make some savvy moves.

It's conveniently forgotten that he tanked/cheated . . . I mean creatively managed the draft when he arrived at Horethorn. Our only crime was that we were inept at the time we tanked/cheated  . . . I mean managed our win/loss . . . . I mean strategically planned for the future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2