Mark Williams Interview

frankie_d

Williams was very positive about Weid - comparing him to early Tredrea and Chad Cornes.  Brendan McCartney was also a big Weid fan.  I'm keen to see what he can produce this year.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Pollyanna said:

Williams was very positive about Weid - comparing him to early Tredrea and Chad Cornes.  Brendan McCartney was also a big Weid fan.  I'm keen to see what he can produce this year.

I reckon weed is the sort of player who responds well to that sort of positivity.

I guess all are to one extent or other - and ultimately intrinsic motivation and drive way more important than extrinsic.

But some people need that sort of mentoring input to optimise their talent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hell Bent said:

For 3-4 years now a lot of footy experts have rated our playing list very highly but we have continued to underperform. 

Maybe someone like Choco has been the missing ingredient. He is an old school motivator, very direct when it’s required but very likeable. 

I distinctly remember how much the Tiges players loved him when he was there not that long ago, as the club began its transformation from laughing stock to benchmark. As others have said he could be the best signing our club has made in years.

Do we know why he's no longer at Richmond? Problems with their soft-cap or did we poach him directly from under their noses? Or something else?

19 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Do we know why he's no longer at Richmond? Problems with their soft-cap or did we poach him directly from under their noses? Or something else?

https://foxsports.com.au/afl/extigers-assistant-mark-williams-says-he-hasnt-spoken-with-damien-hardwick-since-sacking/news-story/1c5a497bc05a2ef29813ab0e57ba42fe

Came as a shock to him at the end of 2016. Had a great relationship with players though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Hell Bent said:

Told on the phone while attending a funeral, after 4 years.  That is pretty poor.  Especially considering the glowing endorsements he still gets from the Richmond players!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

Told on the phone while attending a funeral, after 4 years.  That is pretty poor.  Especially considering the glowing endorsements he still gets from the Richmond players!

Do you reckon the person who delivered the message, was waiting for him to attend the funeral before he pressed 'dial'?? ?

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 2

The Key ingredient that Mark Williams brings in spades is "Belief", he makes players believe that they are better than they think they are, we now have enough talent to go around, what we have lacked is cohesion and belief, fix one and you have the other. He makes you feel like running out and kicking a goal.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hell Bent said:

I don't have any issue with this. Such decisions to let go of coaching staff are difficult to make, but after missing finals were seen as necessary. According to the article Dimma asked him to come in but Chocco was interstate to attend a funeral so he told him the news over the phone. I don't know what else the club could have done. The Tigers are vindicated in making the changes because they won the flag the following year. I can also understand that as a human with a love and passion for the game and his players, Chocco would have been upset.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

FFS, they called to asked if he could come in and he was interstate so they told him over the phone. It would have been much weirder if Dimma said I'll come to you, which Chocco would have figured out what was happening before Dimma got there. I don't know what else Dimma could have done.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chookrat said:

FFS, they called to asked if he could come in and he was interstate so they told him over the phone. It would have been much weirder if Dimma said I'll come to you, which Chocco would have figured out what was happening before Dimma got there. I don't know what else Dimma could have done.

I am more thinking from Williams side of it.  I am sure Richmond/Hardwick did the right thing but could not blame Williams for being salty one iota. Pretty crappy place to hear that type of news regardless of whether it was done it the right manner or not anyway.  

• Like 3

I feel many coaches are thrown on the scrap heap too early after unsuccessful stints.
When I say that I mean that they may be disguarded as viable options when their 1st appointments don't go as planned.
They learn what might have gone wrong at 1st club and make sure the same mistakes aren't made again at second and 3rd clubs etc.
Williams has that much experience around football clubs it's not fuunny.
He understands what motivates players and what doesn't.
He's learnt over many years how to be a man manager.
Learnt not to sweat the small stuff that comes with being an AFL coach.
Has that no BS persona.
Love the fact he's with us.

• Like 3

I wonder how hard it is for a person who was once a Senior Coach to subsequently be an Assistant Coach? Apart from the hit to the psyche, it must take some discipline to reign in the urge to take control. Nevertheless, there are and have been plenty of them, such as Williams, Voss, Leppitsch, Rattan, Bolton and (I assume) more.   

• Like 1

Always liked Williams as a coach. 

He will be a great replacement head coach if required and already knows the players so won’t have to waste time getting to know them. 

He addition is one of the best things MFC has done since getting Roos. 

Edited by DemonOX

1 hour ago, Fork 'em said:

I feel many coaches are thrown on the scrap heap too early after unsuccessful stints.
When I say that I mean that they may be disguarded as viable options when their 1st appointments don't go as planned.
They learn what might have gone wrong at 1st club and make sure the same mistakes aren't made again at second and 3rd clubs etc.
Has that no BS persona.

I reckon M Voss will turn into an excellent coach after his first failure , he just seems a very driven individual. Will probably happen in the coming years as he has had a fair apprenticeship with Port now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fork 'em said:

Has that no BS persona.

runs in the family too

I find the “replacement for Simon” narrative tedious, and are more interested in the issues in our team that Mark was specifically hired to address. 
He mentioned a couple, kicking being one, he seems a great team bonder, what else?

I like to think that the footy brains trust at the MFC have a strategy in motion with the additions of Williams and Yze, and if it all comes together (under Simon Goodwin, our coach), we’ll have a happy year. 

Cannot wait.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Darren Burgess was the guest on the most recent Gus & Gawny podcast.

Highlights:

• When asked who had the best preseason, Burgess replied: Luke Jackson. Loves what he does on and off the track
  • Best runner: Few names got mentioned from Port and Premier League but mentioned the Ed Langdon was a great gut runner. Also mentioned Kozzie Pickett as being a good combo (speed/endurance)

Didn't seem like he was mentioning Demon players just for the hell of it either. He seemed genuinely impressed by the players mentioned.

The podcast as a whole is quite difficult to listen to as the boys are massive fans of there own humor. Fair to say that i'm not 'A friend of the podcast'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1