Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

Eddie McGuire Steps Down Effective Immediately



Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Biffen said:

The British policy was to protect Aboriginal people from harm as much as possible at the time.

To kill a “native” was punishable by death in the 18thC and beyond.

 

 

I never know if Biff is extracting the urine when he posts but effectively wiping out a whole species of people like what happened in Tasmania doesn't sound like a harm minimization policy!

In Tasmania, there were around 15,000 Palawa people pre-colonisation. In the ensuing 30 years that number dropped to an estimated 400 people (full blooded Palawa's). That 400 was further reduced to around a dozen over the next decade with most dying in internment camps. Of that initial group, 200 were rounded up and put on Hunter or Flinders Island so they couldn't escape.

It is true that many died from European introduced diseases, but also subject to horrendous violence at the hands of settlers.

In what is known as the 'Black War', up to 1,000 Palawa and around 200 whites were killed in guerilla warfare. White folks were given legal immunity by the Governor of the day to kill aborigines. Also, rewards were given to settlers for the capture of aborigines and bounties were also paid.

One of the reasons for the Black War apparently was that among the colonists, there were six times more men than women and the settlers took to raping native people due to a lack of white women! The locals, perhaps understandably, didn't take too kindly to that!

Anyway, the Black War was an act of genocide no doubt. Here's an example: In 1827, two shepherds were killed by natives near Launceston, and settlers with the help of the 40th Regiment launched a reprisal attack at dawn that saw as many as 70 Aboriginal men, women and children slaughtered. 

Seventy unarmed men, women and children! Imagine if that happened today!

So Biff, your statement: "The British policy was to protect Aboriginal people from harm as much as possible at the time... and to kill a “native” was punishable by death in the 18thC and beyond..." is absolute bollocks! You are extracting the urine!

 

Edited by dee-tox
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Should have been shown the door after the King Kong comment.  He still doesn’t get it

There is a lot more that needs to be done to stamp out entrenched racism The booing of Adam Goodes by a big percentage of fans from most of the other clubs remains a huge low point for football (

Is Eddie taking it on the chins?

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Dame Gaga said:

Anyway, back to Eddie and the report which brought him down.

I watched an interesting interview on the ABC news app with Tony Armstrong, a former Collingwood player and ABC commentator (he is indigenous). He gave an insight into how the playing groups of the Collingwood clubs came to issue that letter of apology. The players felt frustrated their feelings couldn't be heard with all the distractions surrounding the first press conference, hence the reason for their letter.

Armstrong also made a good point about football playing groups always going to be young. These younger generations are more open minded and socially aware. More open minded than perhaps the ones in charge of the clubs or the 'old guard'. 

When someone is in power for so long and used to doing things their own way, and getting other people to do things their way, they are in danger of becoming inflexible and blinkered. 

Eddie saw himself as the saviour of his beloved club when he first became President - "When I came to Collingwood, it was a club driven with rivalries, enemies and division." He succeeded in making the club a powerhouse, but he also became in a sense bigger than the club. Perhaps he was blinded by his own success and never learned an important word - humility.

He also didn't learn how to listen to others when they were trying to tell him something he didn't want to hear. He had to be the one to do the talking. That was his biggest problem. The talking came before the thinking.

 

 

In a nutshell the above highlights why systemic racism is so pernicious and difficult to address.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, dee-tox said:

I never know if Biff is extracting the urine when he posts but effectively wiping out a whole species of people like what happened in Tasmania doesn't sound like a harm minimization policy!

In Tasmania, there were around 15,000 Palawa people pre-colonisation. In the ensuing 30 years that number dropped to an estimated 400 people (full blooded Palawa's). That 400 was further reduced to around a dozen over the next decade with most dying in internment camps. Of that initial group, 200 were rounded up and put on Hunter or Flinders Island so they couldn't escape.

It is true that many died from European introduced diseases, but also subject to horrendous violence at the hands of settlers.

In what is known as the 'Black War', up to 1,000 Palawa and around 200 whites were killed in guerilla warfare. White folks were given legal immunity by the Governor of the day to kill aborigines. Also, rewards were given to settlers for the capture of aborigines and bounties were also paid.

One of the reasons for the Black War apparently was that among the colonists, there were six times more men than women and the settlers took to raping native people due to a lack of white women! The locals, perhaps understandably, didn't take too kindly to that!

Anyway, the Black War was an act of genocide no doubt. Here's an example: In 1827, two shepherds were killed by natives near Launceston, and settlers with the help of the 40th Regiment launched a reprisal attack at dawn that saw as many as 70 Aboriginal men, women and children slaughtered. 

Seventy unarmed men, women and children! Imagine if that happened today!

So Biff, your statement: "The British policy was to protect Aboriginal people from harm as much as possible at the time... and to kill a “native” was punishable by death in the 18thC and beyond..." is absolute bollocks! You are extracting the urine!

 

Sorry mate but you are completely confusing issues.  The Admiralty's instructions to Phillip through the Letters Patent instructed him to afford the natives protection under the Crown.

In fact records note that there were 17 odd attacks or killings of settlers at Sydney Cove by natives before Phillip ordered a retaliation. Phillip himself was almost killed but declined to retaliate.

The situation in Tasmania was that the Palawa fought back against the whites taking their lands & war effectively broke out between them & Tasmanian settlers.

The circumstances were totally different.

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

Sorry mate but you are completely confusing issues.  The Admiralty's instructions to Phillip through the Letters Patent instructed him to afford the natives protection under the Crown.

In fact records note that there were 17 odd attacks or killings of settlers at Sydney Cove by natives before Phillip ordered a retaliation. Phillip himself was almost killed but declined to retaliate.

The situation in Tasmania was that the Palawa fought back against the whites taking their lands & war effectively broke out between them & Tasmanian settlers.

The circumstances were totally different.

Bizarre response Cranky. Just because something happened in one part of Australia and not in another part it means it didn't happen?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So let me get this right. You can invade a country, dispossess the natives of their lands, rape their women, carry out acts of war, gather up the natives and move them away from their homelands but if you declare you are protecting them, it is OK. FMD 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

Bizarre response Cranky. Just because something happened in one part of Australia and not in another part it means it didn't happen?

Of course it happened.  The point me & Biffen are trying to make is that the British intentions were initially quiet honourable & early on relationships between the natives & settlers were quiet good. You can read Dancing With Strangers by Inga Clendinnen for an account.

Unfortunately things went pearshaped after that especially further out on the frontier with killings, massacres & then poisonings & diseases.

 

  • Facepalm 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ManDee said:

So let me get this right. You can invade a country, dispossess the natives of their lands, rape their women, carry out acts of war, gather up the natives and move them away from their homelands but if you declare you are protecting them, it is OK. FMD 

No you cannot morally do that and its not ok but unfortunately that is the way humans have done business for thousands of years.

The British, French & Dutch just marched bach into their colonies, by force after WW2.

How do you think the Chinese got Tibet or ask the West Papuans about the Indonesian invasion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Couldn't care less if you agree or this whole idea of "narrative" you keep pushing, that's simply what it is and is why the 'others didn't get booed' logic doesn't stack up. You've just further made my point for me by bringing up Betts & O'Loughlin.

Long and Goodes' scenarios are not really similar.

You may want to look into the response Long got at first though, including death threats mailed to him. Doesn't seem you're really THAT up on the story mate. Plus there's the fact he was combating onfield racism and was strongly supported by the AFL. Wasn't exactly the same with Goodes hey?

Winmar had a poignant moment after being racially abused for a whole day in horrendous ways. Not at all similar to Goodes who was booed more intensely after winning Australian Of The Year and having numerous public appearances totally misrepresented by the media.

Let's not forget that Eddie said Goodes would have been treated better if he had 'given some warning' before doing his goal celebration; an Indigenous dance taught to him by Indigenous kids, after he (an Indigenous man) had just kicked an Indigenous ball through for a goal while wearing an Indigenous jumper in Indigenous round...

Stop making excuses for others and clearly yourself.

 

@Lord Nev 100% agree with your take.   Goodes' being a proud black man confronted people and made them think of the uncomfortable truth.  And we don't like the truth - that racism is alive and well in Australia.  So rather than face the truth we deflect by saying it was about Goodes 'singaling out a teenager' or the fact he was  a lair of a player.  Same way people wanted to ignore what Hertier Lumumba had to say because he was a bit of w*nker.  

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cranky Franky said:

No you cannot morally do that and its not ok but unfortunately that is the way humans have done business for thousands of years.

The British, French & Dutch just marched bach into their colonies, by force after WW2.

How do you think the Chinese got Tibet or ask the West Papuans about the Indonesian invasion.

Now I get it. It is OK because others have done it. Seriously Cranky give up.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

Of course it happened.  The point me & Biffen are trying to make is that the British intentions were initially quiet honourable & early on relationships between the natives & settlers were quiet good. You can read Dancing With Strangers by Inga Clendinnen for an account.

Unfortunately things went pearshaped after that especially further out on the frontier with killings, massacres & then poisonings & diseases.

 

Ah, so there were initially good intentions! That makes the genocide that happened later much more palatable!

Most of the evil that is done in this world is done by those with good intentions. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Biffen said:

Qutie simple to answer.He was Rear Admiral of the Navy.

Wrong.  For a history buff your'e a bit loose with your facts.

He was never a member of the navy. He was First Sea Lord which is entirely a different thing. 

Sort of being Miister for the Navy in our lingo.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Biffen said:

It doesn't excuse him anything. It was a bad decision made in the Dardanelles.One of many.

His remorse and self loathing from such failures may have contributed to his greatness in WW2 .Who knows.

It's as pointless to speculate his failures as it is to contemplate those of Captain James Cooks.

They are meaningless without the contrating achievements .

I have real problems with anyone who thinks a racist mass murderer is great. Unless you mean, he was a great racist mass murderer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, deegirl said:

@Lord Nev 100% agree with your take.   Goodes' being a proud black man confronted people and made them think of the uncomfortable truth.  And we don't like the truth - that racism is alive and well in Australia.  So rather than face the truth we deflect by saying it was about Goodes 'singaling out a teenager' or the fact he was  a lair of a player.  Same way people wanted to ignore what Hertier Lumumba had to say because he was a bit of w*nker.  

Yep.

I find the most telling aspect of this is that there's no unifying reason why people decided they were booing Goodes. You would ask 5 people and get 5 different reasons: 'he pointed out the racists girl', 'he did a dance', 'he didn't deserve Australian of the year', 'he faked for free kicks', 'he's a dirty player (after he slid into a pack)', 'he's just an anchor' .... etc. 

It was around people being told an uncomfortable truth when he was Australian of the Year. Before that there was almost no talk about any football related misgivings but rather pretty widespread acknowledgment as a respected community leader. 

People will try to justify it to themselves, and indeed probably convince themselves of it. But the origins of the booing were pretty clearly related to his uncomfortable truths during his time as Australian of the Year. 

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DubDee said:

Well I’m Irish so it is personal. But I don’t hold it against brits or expect an apology. Things were so different hundred ago. 

best to move on and focus on a better future

They are not as different as you think, Db. Hence the relevance of this debate. You are aware, no doubt, of the wars the US has perpetrated since WW2? Allow me to list some of  them: Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, Cambodia, Cuba, Lebanon, Bay of Pigs, Laos 1953, their part in the IRanian Coup 1953, Dominican Republic, Lebanon 1981, Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, First Gulf War, arming IRaq and Iran pre first Gulf war, arming Saudi Arabia to rape Yemen, Sudan...We won't even mention the coups by stealth in Chile, Columbia, Puerto Rica, Venezuela, Honduras, Bolivia etc

In other words, this notion which is a direct descendant of the notion of White Supremacy, a notion inherited from the British, that it has the right to wage war and interfere in any country it chooses to. I believe it is the reason the US is such a basket case - simply because from day one of its history it has lied to itself and to the world about what it stands for.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What were his thoughts on Kurds and Palestinians?

I have a great book called Human Smoke by Nicholson Baker. It is comprised of newspaper cuttings from around 1900 until 1942 and it allows the bit players and protagonists of the trail that led to the Nazi camps in Poland, to the mass murders further East, to speak for themselves. Churchill is quoted quite often, mostly for his ghastly and contemptuous prejudices against Kurds, Iraqis, Arabs in general, all Indians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis ,Jews, in fact any people you'd care to nominate. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever about the intentions we all know the consequences. The fate of indigenous Australians is the same as every vanquished people the world over since time began. Defeat, subjugation and dispossession.

We can argue all day about the history of it but it won’t change anything about where we are at which is that the indigenous population of this country feel justifiable resentment and anger because of the ongoing consequences of the colonisation of this country.

As a nation, we have to deal with this issue. The uluru statement from the heart offers a pathway. I think we should all engage with it and hopefully we can create a future where our indigenous population feel a part of this country. I mean, what do we have to lose?

By far and away the most disappointing aspect of this sorry affair is that Collingwood, a major sporting and cultural institution in this country, had the perfect opportunity to start a conversation, to lead the way. And instead, buffhead Eddie completely stuffs it. Another wasted opportunity.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Demon17 said:

Wrong.  For a history buff your'e a bit loose with your facts.

He was never a member of the navy. He was First Sea Lord which is entirely a different thing. 

Sort of being Miister for the Navy in our lingo.

He was the Rear Admiral of the Navy.[censored].

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Biffen said:

He was the Rear Admiral of the Navy.[censored].

Sorry.  I know I've come in at the end of this thread.  But, are we still talking about Eddie??  Didn't know he was a sailor!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dieter said:

I have a great book called Human Smoke by Nicholson Baker. It is comprised of newspaper cuttings from around 1900 until 1942 and it allows the bit players and protagonists of the trail that led to the Nazi camps in Poland, to the mass murders further East, to speak for themselves. Churchill is quoted quite often, mostly for his ghastly and contemptuous prejudices against Kurds, Iraqis, Arabs in general, all Indians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis ,Jews, in fact any people you'd care to nominate. 
 

so now he is an anti- Semite despite his Pro Zionist stance and a long history of support for the Jews.FMD

2 hours ago, dieter said:

I have real problems with anyone who thinks a racist mass murderer is great. Unless you mean, he was a great racist mass murderer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dieter said:

I have real problems with anyone who thinks a racist mass murderer is great. Unless you mean, he was a great racist mass murderer.

You’d be speaking Russian if not for Churchill.

  • Facepalm 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Biffen said:

He was the Rear Admiral of the Navy.[censored].

 

23 minutes ago, Vagg said:

Sorry.  I know I've come in at the end of this thread.  But, are we still talking about Eddie??  Didn't know he was a sailor!

I guess he got the a... so that's pretty close to Rear...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Biffen said:

He was the Rear Admiral of the Navy.[censored].

Are your ears painted on?

First Sea Lord is NOT the same as a Rear Admiral Officer posting.

One is a political appointment, the other is a professional officer appointment. 

He would have had trouble leading his battalion on the western front when he left the Admiralty from the deck of a warship presumably anchored in the Channel. (Being an army officer at the time also)

Maybe you read that somewhere in your research and thought it sounded OK?

He was instrumental though in having the R N fully prepared for war - which was admirable!

Link to post
Share on other sites

1)Curtin overruled Churchill to bring troupes home to defend australia instead of defending the jewel in the Crown, India, by sending them directly into Burma. You wouldnt be speaking Russian if Churchill got his way, youd be speaking Japanese. 2)Churchill still saw Aussies as canon fodder in WW2 after he had been sacked as 1st lord of the Admiralty for his ##up at the Dardinelles in 1915.

At least Biff you got it right as it was the navy. And you spelt Churchill correctly.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    CANCEL CULTURE by Whispering Jack

    I’m not one who likes mixing politics with sport but it should be noted there have been some unusual trends in the world of sport lately. In the US, Major League Baseball announced that it’s moving the 2021 All-Star Game and the 2021 MLB Draft out of Georgia, in response to the state’s new voting law. Over here, there’s a move to force Carlton to change its club song because the original song on which it was based (written in the late 1800s) has “racist connotations”. The Blues maintain the curr

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MOGGIES MASTERED by George on the Outer

    They say that herding cats is an impossible task but not for the Melbourne Demons who through relentless pressure, scored a commanding 25 point victory in Round 4 over Geelong at the MCG. The team that missed the AFL finals only once in the past dozen years were shown up by the new Demons of 2021 who have recorded their first 4-0 opening to the season in 21 years! Melbourne knew what was coming, and it was Geelong who were shown up for their inability to adapt to the 2021 style of foot

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNDER MY SKIN by The Oracle

    The story goes that there’s a certain player from Geelong who has been seen in Moorabool Street crooning the old Sinatra classic, “I’ve got you under my skin.” His name is O’Connor and he’s been tasked to achieve one thing on Sunday by his coach, Chris Scott: to get under the skin of a Demon midfielder on Sunday and thereby tag him out of the big contest at the G. The idea behind the tactic is to not only blunt one of the team’s most destructive weapons but to distract them all from producing th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MAX IN SPACE

    Demon skipper Max Gawn is one big unit at 208cm and lately he’s been standing even taller. We already know that he’s unstoppable in the air when going for a mark but with three consecutive victories to open the season, you might say that he has his head in the clouds.  And that is literally true thanks to a fan at Demonland.com who recently arranged for our big ruckman to go even further than the clouds but way beyond to the edge of space and into the stratosphere. And this photograph of Ma

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 25

    CAPITAL PUNISHMENT by George on the Outer

    A 34-point win in the nation’s capital has seen the Demons kill the Giants hopes early in the 2021 season. It wasn’t only the scoreboard, but a succession of injuries to major players for GWS that has put paid to their aspirations. The winning result wasn’t just due to the opposition losing players, but also to the relentless pressure from this 2021 Melbourne side that put them in the winners circle. In past years, a 16 point deficit at the first change combined with a rampant Toby Greene w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    POWER AND THE PASSION by Whispering Jack

    The Demons ran out for their Qualifying Final match against the Fremantle Dockers at Casey Fields as the sounds of Midnight Oils’ “Power and the Passion cascaded over the mainly friendly pro-Melbourne crowd. It was a far cry from the season opener at Carrara in late January where few of their fans were in attendance in high 20’s heat and humidity and silence greeted every score from the slow-starting Demons. They ran away from the lowly Suns, won comfortably in the end and followed that with ano

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BREAK OUT by Whispering Jack

    Despite the chaotic events occurring in Canberra over the past few weeks, one thing is for certain. This weekend’s game at Manuka Oval in the nation’s capital between the GWS Giants and Melbourne will decide which of Scott Morrison or Leon Cameron is the most under the pump at this point in time.  This time twelve months ago, the Giants were coming off a season in which they had played off in a grand final. They opened up their 2020 campaign with a resounding 32-point victory in round 1 aga

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MARVELOUS PRESSURE by George on the Outer

    Is this a new form of Melbourne which has suddenly emerged in 2021?  In the past, whenever the pressure was applied, the team would falter early and as a consequence, it would more often than not, be forced to confront its own self-inflicted failure. But perhaps not so this year. The match at Marvel Stadium against the Saints provided an insight into how creating pressure, actually relieves it on the club, players and coach. Right from the start, Melbourne was there to make a stat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STUCK IN THE MIDDLE by The Oracle

    Throughout the off season, St Kilda was touted as an improver and a possible challenger for a top four position mainly off the back of another good trade and draft period at the end of last year. Then in Round 1, the undermanned Saints made a shaky start and almost succumbed to the Giants but they managed to come home from a wet and woolly Sydney with the four points intact. For Round 2, they have a couple of handy players returning so they come into the the game at Marvel Stadium choc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A SCRAPPY, SLOPPY SUCCESS by George on the Outer

    After what seemed like an eternity without Footy in Melbourne, the Demons and their fans produced a scrappy, sloppy yet successful return to the MCG. Yet is was against an interstate team from the furthest reaches of the country, but the 21K fans who made it through the gates, was way below expectations for numbers.  Sure it can’t have helped with all the difficulty that Ticketek imposed just to get a ticket, and since you just couldn’t walk up, perhaps the number wasn’t that surprising.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNFINISHED BUSINESS by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club has unfinished business with Fremantle after that unexpected loss in their previous clash at Cazaly’s Stadium in Cairns cost it a place in last year’s finals campaign.   Back then, the tired Demons spluttered listlessly through the humid conditions in tropical far North Queensland playing in and losing two games in the space of four days and against two lowly clubs. The end result was much more than an embarrassment for the club given what was at stake at th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    PRACTICE PUMMELLING by George on the Outer

    Was this a practice for what lay ahead for the Demons in 2021 or was it an outcome to expect because it was used as a true practice game? Those of us on the outside will never know, but a 39 point loss to the Western Bulldogs was a pummelling in anyone’s language. We can draw some consolation from the players that Melbourne put on the field, with Toby Bedford, Jake Bowey, Kade Chandler, James Jordon and Tom Sparrow each getting a guernsey whereas they probably would not normally be in the f

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...